Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon (31634 Views)

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt / Yakubu Gowon's Son, Musa, Returns After 22Years In Prison / Obasanjo, Ambode At 80th Birthday Of Adebutu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by naijaking1: 4:40am On Oct 21, 2014
zendy:
Life should be celebrated and I would congratulate anyone who has attained the age of 80 like Gowon. However,Gowon the man and ex-soldier was a colossal disaster. Anyone who is actually congratulating this man for keeping Nigeria one needs to have emergency brain surgery. The sins of Gowon are too numerous but I will mention the main one's here

[1] Destroyed the integrity of the Army by not recognising seniority: Gowon assumed power after the counter coup,thereby "leap frogging" over several officers including Ogundipe,Nwawo,Adebayor,Effiong,Njoku,Bassey,Ejoor and Ojukwu who were all senior to him. By doing this,Gowon taught junior officers that it was ok to kick their seniors out of the way in the quest for power and Murutala did the same to him 9 years later.

[2] Gowon became the face northern Nigerian domination:The war was not fought by Gowon because of his love of Nigeria. It was fought to keep Nigeria under the control of North. Does anyone actually believe that if it had been the North that had the sea-port and oil,they would be fighting to keep Nigeria one so we can all share their oil wealth together? Lol. Trust me,if they had been the one who had oil,they would have left Nigeria long time ago.

[3] Gowon directly caused the war:It should be noted that Ojukwu did everything humanly possible to advert war. Ojukwu asked Gowon to hand over to the highest ranking officer at the time (Brigadier Ogundipe) to reflect integrity of 'seniority' within the army and to dispel suspicion of Northern domination.Gowon refused.Ojukwu met Gowon in Aburi,Ghana, where they reached an agreement to advert war.Gowon and Ojukwu signed this agreement in the presence of the Ghanaian president,General Ankrah.What did Gowon do? Gowon returned to Lagos and turned his back on the agreement.Instead of Gowon renegotiating,he took the unilateral decision of creating States (divide and rule) which was against the Aburi accord. This was the singular act that caused Ojukwu to declare Biafra. Even with the declaration of Biafra,Gowon could have still returned to the negotiation table but instead,he chose to go to war which would claim millions of lives.

[4] After the war ended in victory for Gowon and the northern oligarchy, then came corruption. There was a period of oil boom of the early 70's knows as the 'Petro-Naira era' where millions of dollars of oil money flowed into the country. Gowon and his highly corrupt regime frittered away what has been regarded as the best economic period in the history of Nigeria.He mortgaged the future of unborn Nigerians for the benefit of the Hausa/Fulani Oligarchy.

Gowon can carry on celebrating his birthday without a thought for all the children that died when he decided to use starvation as an instrument of war,however,it is history and posterity that will judge him. I'm glad that he is still alive to see the Nigeria he fought to keep one still in tatars as it was before he went to Aburi. History has long vindicated Ojukwu.Personally,I think Gowonis a terrible man.

Very good points!
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by fineworker24(m): 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2014
conyema12:
Nigerians continue to pay a heavy price for allowing those who slaughtered women including pregnant women, children, innocent civilians and engaged in rapes, a needless war and other unconscionable barbarities that violate all norms of law and natural justice go scot free. It has fundamentally debased our society and created a Frankenstein of injustice and impunity that is devouring the nation. It has also nurtured and consolidated a culture of violence.  With no social, economic or political justice, Nigeria resembles more a jungle than a human society. This is the 21st century and if we desire to march along with the rest of the world in advancing human civilisation, it is necessary and urgent to bring Yakubu Gowon and his accomplices to trial for only by such a reckoning can Nigeria be freed from the demons of her past and unshackled from the prison of monumental injustice and impunity in which she remains presently chained.
GOD Bless You. I have never seen a German praising Hitler for his atrocities. Nigeria and some Nigerians are celebrating a murderer. Soon they will celebrate Imam shekau and members of boko haram.

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by zendy: 3:55pm On Oct 21, 2014
fineworker24:

GOD Bless You. I have never seen a German praising Hitler for his atrocities. Nigeria and some Nigerians are celebrating a murderer. Soon they will celebrate Imam shekau and members of boko haram.

I said it before in a previous thread that Nigerians have a penchant for celebrating mass murderers.

Murutala Mohammed: Led a counter coup and superviced the murder of over 300 fellow officers based on ethnic sentiments. Led troops that killed 700 civilians in Asaba. Led thousands of soldiers to their deaths in a stupid attempt trying to cross the river Niger. This man was rewarded in death by having an international Airport named after him and putting his treacherous face on the N20 note.

Theophilus Danjuma: kidnapped a sitting head of state along with the Governor of the western region and superviced their torture and execution. He later led troops who committed extrer-Judicial killings in Nsukka during the war. He has been rewarded with many national honours and allocated oil blocks that has made him a Billionaire many times over.

Benjamin Adekunle: committed war crimes by executing prisoners of war,thereby contravening the Geneva convention and bragged about it. Rewarded with ministerial positions and rapid promotion.

Shehu Yaradua: personally cut of the heads of two Igbo soldiers when he was returning to the North after the counter coup. Captured Onitsha during the war where troops under him surrounded a church where worshippers were seeking refuge,dragged them out and executed all of them. Rewarded,was was later doubly promoted from a Lt Colonel to a Brigadier after the death of Murutala and made Obasunjos deputy and retired as one of the richest men in the north.

I could go on and on with many examples but I wonder why Nigerians celebrate men who have committed murder? It's a shame.

3 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 21, 2014
ebdib:
Nigerian youths wishing the men that took their future hbd.

I laugh in swahili
you will laugh till u DIE[b]
ebdib:

I laugh in swahili
you will laugh till u DIE[/b]
ebdib:
I laugh in swahili
you will laugh till u DIE
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by aviazuva: 5:36pm On Oct 21, 2014
diluminati:
I'll advise against putting this on f.p because our igbo brothers and sisters will turn this thread to bashing things because of biafra and their brothers who were massacred in asaba cry

My people say when you remind the grasscuter about bitting. it will bite
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yaksson:

you will laugh till u DIE[b]
you will laugh till u DIE[/b]
you will laugh till u DIE

Why not channel this rage and anger to fighting against the men that have kept the Nigerian youths in oblivion ?

Misguided rage and a rather nonsensical rant.
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by naijaking1: 12:53am On Oct 22, 2014
zendy:

I said it before in a previous thread that Nigerians have a penchant for celebrating mass murderers.

Murutala Mohammed: Led a counter coup and superviced the murder of over 300 fellow officers based on ethnic sentiments. Led troops that killed 700 civilians in Asaba. Led thousands of soldiers to their deaths in a stupid attempt trying to cross the river Niger. This man was rewarded in death by having an international Airport named after him and putting his treacherous face on the N20 note.

Theophilus Danjuma: kidnapped a sitting head of state along with the Governor of the western region and superviced their torture and execution. He later led troops who committed extrer-Judicial killings in Nsukka during the war. He has been rewarded with many national honours and allocated oil blocks that has made him a Billionaire many times over.

Benjamin Adekunle: committed war crimes by executing prisoners of war,thereby contravening the Geneva convention and bragged about it. Rewarded with ministerial positions and rapid promotion.

Shehu Yaradua: personally cut of the heads of two Igbo soldiers when he was returning to the North after the counter coup. Captured Onitsha during the war where troops under him surrounded a church where worshippers were seeking refuge,dragged them out and executed all of them. Rewarded,was was later doubly promoted from a Lt Colonel to a Brigadier after the death of Murutala and made Obasunjos deputy and retired as one of the richest men in the north.

I could go on and on with many examples but I wonder why Nigerians celebrate men who have committed murder? It's a shame.

Now any wonder why Nigeria is not 'going forward'?
Re: 80th Birthday Of General Yakubu Gowon by kosokoadeyemi: 9:56pm On May 10, 2016
Hbd sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Be In Trouble If PDP Wins- Buhari / Buhari, Ajimobi, Akiolu Make Last-minute Moves To Save Ambode. / Ghanaian traders shut down more Nigerians’ shops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.