Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,547 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (11430 Views)

NNPC Pushes For Fuel Subsidy Removal / Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society / Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Best Way For Jonathan To Punish Nigerians For Making Jest Of His Wife. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by joseph1832(m): 10:54am On Oct 21, 2014
anonimi:

To each his own.
You may however have noted (or not) that quite a few of those who appreciate the more democratic, increasingly transparent federal administration of Jonathan/Sambo are focused on FACTS and rational analysis of same to arrive at meaningful conclusions useful in dissecting and dispelling the moribund LIES and PROPAGANDA of the Arewa People's Congress, APC sympathisers.
"To each his own": A phrase that has continuously caused division and hatred among Nigerians. I see where your allegiance go!.
Re: . by Ngwakwe: 10:56am On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Are you privy to the Budgets since Jonathan came to power? You are just blabbing like a confused market woman. I don't work for government but the BUDGETARY document is a public document that is not shreded in secrecy. You are in the academia? What a shame, the academia has been invaded by dummies. No wonder we have been producing glorified secondary school leavers as Graduates.

Just repeating the scripts you got from vendors and party seminars/workshops

I gave you some facts before making inferences

Nigeria runs a system of government with checks and balances.

The National Assembly during President Obasanjo's Regime created the NDDC and provided a budget for it against the wishes of President Obasanjo who vetoed it.

Obasanjo said there wasn't enough money to run the ministry of Niger Delta let alone NDDC but the NASS decided otherwise and overturned the President's veto.

Today we have NDDC. If the NASS said we have no extra money to go beyond the "realistic" 22% budget estimates for capital expenditures, it means we are poor beyond your perception hence your projections are wrong.

The opposition in NASS chairs the finance committee in House of Representatives

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by anonimi: 11:01am On Oct 21, 2014
joseph1832:
"To each his own": A phrase that has continuously caused division and hatred among Nigerians. I see where your allegiance go!.

I am talking about personal convictions there.........so please don't get it twisted.

BTW, how has such a phrase "continuously caused division and hatred among Nigerians."
Kindly educate me.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 21, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Just repeating the scripts you got from vendors and party seminars/workshops
I gave you some facts before making inferences
Nigeria runs a system of government with checks and balances.
The National Assembly during President Obasanjo's Regime created the NDDC and provided a budget for it against the wishes of President Obasanjo who vetoed it.
Obasanjo said there wasn't enough money to run the ministry of Niger Delta let alone NDDC but the NASS decided otherwise and overturned the President's veto.
Today we have NDDC. If the NASS said we have no extra money to go beyond the "realistic" 22% budget estimates for capital expenditures, it means we are poor beyond your perception hence your projections are wrong.
The opposition in NASS chairs the finance committee in House of Representatives
You were disputing with my figures before. See Ngwakwe, I always check fact right before quoting governbment figures. If you have nothing to say just ignore than come here to embarrass yourself. Are you aware that the Reps even had to investigate the over N2.2 trillion Naira that was spent on Subsidy in 2011 alone by the Jonathan's Administration because Yar Adua fuel subsidy expenditure in 2010 was not even up to N700 billion.
Be careful with your words, I am not a beer parlor gossip

Feb 13, 2012
The government is probably paying more than 2 trillion naira ($12.6 billion) to fuel importers to cover the difference between market costs and state-regulated prices for last year, said Farouk Lawan, chairman of a House of Representatives committee investigating the discrepancies. That’s up from 384 billion naira in 2009 and represents almost half of last year’s 4.5 trillion budget.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-13/nigeria-probes-possible-fraud-over-12-6-billion-subsidies.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-10/nigeria-probes-possible-fraud-over-12-6-billion-fuel-subsidies.html

1 Like

Re: . by joseph1832(m): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2014
anonimi:

I am talking about personal convictions there.........so please don't get it twisted.

BTW, how has such a phrase "continuously caused division and hatred among Nigerians."
Kindly educate me.
Thanks.
Oh you haven't noticed how many of you APC and PDP e-warriors shove "your personal convictions" down peoples throat!.
Re: . by Gbawe: 11:09am On Oct 21, 2014
@OP

Bro, it is now universal knowledge that SURE-P is SCAM-P in reality. This is why other world leaders resent GEJ immensely. They see a leader committing all manner of brazen scams against his own nation, and destroying the future of millions, simply so him and a few cronies and affiliates of government can continue to amass stupendous wealth at the expense of Nigeria.

If it is not fuel subsidy scam then it is the fraud called SURE-P or disgusting pension scam robbing the elderly who have paid their dues. We then move all the way to the nationally destructive 419 crony capitalism deceptively packaged as power privatisation yet only able to deliver darkness. This is merely a set of glorified fraudsters and common scammers parading as "leaders". Disgraceful.
Re: . by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 21, 2014
Gbawe:
@OP

Bro, it is now universal knowledgr that SURE-P is SCAM-P in reality. This is why other world leaders resent GEJ immensely. They see a leader committing all manner of brazen scams against his own nation, and destroying rhe future of millions, simply so him and a few cronies and affiliates of government can contonue to ammass stupendous wealth at the expense of Nigeria. If it is npt fuel subsidy scam then it is the fraud called SURE-P or disgusting pension scam robbing the elderly who have paid their dues. We then move all the way to the nationally destructive 419 crony capitalism deceptively packaged as power privatisation yet only able to deliver darkness. This is merely a set of glorified fraudsters and common scammers parading as "leaders". Disgraceful.
Everything about this government is just so fraudulent. I don't know the offence that Nigerians committed against PDP and Jonathan
Re: . by anonimi: 11:21am On Oct 21, 2014
Gbawe:
@OP

Bro, it is now universal knowledgr that SURE-P is SCAM-P in reality. This is why other world leaders resent GEJ immensely. They see a leader committing all manner of brazen scams against his own nation, and destroying rhe future of millions, simply so him and a few cronies and affiliates of government can contonue to ammass stupendous wealth at the expense of Nigeria. If it is npt fuel subsidy scam then it is the fraud called SURE-P or disgusting pension scam robbing the elderly who have paid their dues. We then move all the way to the nationally destructive 419 crony capitalism deceptively packaged as power privatisation yet only able to deliver darkness. This is merely a set of glorified fraudsters and common scammers parading as "leaders". Disgraceful.

Would you know why Fashola's LASG was fighting with what you described as a SCAM =>

Lagos, Sure-P officials in bloody clash

Officials of the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit and the ‘faceless’ Sure-P Federal Task Force clashed yesterday in the former toll gate area of Lagos.
The clash led to traffic gridlock on the Lagos end of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway as people ran for their lives.
Trouble started when the Sure-P task force allegedly attempted to stop officers of the Lagos State task force, who arrested a Space bus on a BRT lane in Ketu for contravening traffic.

The Sure-P officials allegedly beat up some members of the state task force, precipitating a clash between both outfits. Bottles, sticks and stones were freely used.
The federal task force officials allegedly injured the state task force officers during the encounter.
Following a call to the task force office, a reinforcement of armed policemen armed in several vehicles stormed the Federal Taskforce office with two Black Maria trucks.

Chairman of the Lagos Task Force, Bayo Sulaiman, said the rampaging federal officers were dispersed with tear gas, while over 200 of them were arrested and taken to the state secretariat in Black Maria trucks.
Sulaiman said: “They beat up our men and held them hostage. If we allow this to go unchecked, it will be worse next time.”
The arrested federal officials were taken to the Lagos State Police Command for interrogation.

One of them collapsed on queue and was rushed to the hospital. But the federal officials claimed that they were wrongly arrested.
One of their leaders, Aminu Kazeem, said he was inside the premises when the policemen stormed there and arrested him and his colleagues.

From: http://thenationonlineng.net/new/lagos-sure-p-officials-bloody-clash/

Another perspective of the same event:

200 arrested, as SURE-P taskforce, Lagos officials clash

Over 5,000 men and women engaged as SURE-P Federal Task Force in Lagos on Wednesday scampered for safety in an attempt to evade arrest, but about 200 of them were not so lucky.

The work of the SURE-P personnel were put in jeopardy by policemen attached to the Lagos Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit who swooped on them (SURE-P personnel) unawares.

The Sure-P taskforce officials had no inkling of what was in stock for them, when they attempted to stop officers of the Lagos State taskforce, who arrested a vehicle for allegedly contravening traffic.

The SURE-P officials, in an attempt to intervene, beat up some members of the Lagos State taskforce, a situation that triggered a clash between both outfits with bottles, sticks and stones used as weapons.

Daily Independent learnt that the confusion was triggered following the arrested by Lagos taskforce officials of a Sienna Space bus plying the BRT lane in the Ketu area of the Lagos metropolis.

The Lagos taskforce officials were ferrying the vehicle to Alausa through the Lagos-Ibadan old tollgate when the incidence occurred.

The Sienna bus driver, with a taskforce official by his side, on getting to the tollgate reoprtedly veered into the SURE-P taskforce premises by the tollgate.

In the process of trying to get the vehicle back, the federal taskforce officials mobilised and attacked the police with planks, bottles and then beat up the few officers, inflicting injuries on them.

In the midst of the fracas, a call was put through to the taskforce office and a reinforcement of armed policemen in several vehicles stormed the federal taskforce office with two Black Maria trucks.

The federal taskforce officials were said to have attacked the Lagos taskforce led by its Chairman, Bayo Sulaiman, a Chief Superintendent of Police, with bottles and stones.

The Lagos taskforce officials released tear gas to disperse the rampaging federal taskforce officers, arrested over 200 of them, and took them to Alausa in the Black Maria trucks.

According to Sulaiman, the federal taskforce attacked his men with dangerous weapons, saying there was no way an illegal taskforce could take over the function of the police.

“They beat up our men and held our men hostage. We will not allow them to take over our function and we arrested close to 100 of them.

“If we allow this to go unchecked, it will be worse next time,” he said.

Sulaiman said his men were attacked with bottles, as one of them was beaten with plank, with serious injuries inflicted on his body while other officers were also wounded.

The driver of the Sienna Space bus, Timothy Uko, coming from Delta State, when interrogated, said he never knew anyone of the federal taskforce official, but that he decided to park close to their office and beg the policemen who arrested him in order not to create traffic snarl.

Uko was severely beaten up by the police for allegedly fuelling the crisis by veering into the premises of the federal taskforce.

At the taskforce office, the arrested federal taskforce officials were later loaded in Black Maria trucks and conveyed to the Lagos State Police Command for further interrogation.

One of them, while on queue, collapsed and was at the point of unconsciousness when he was rushed to the hospital by the Lagos taskforce officials.

Most of the federal taskforce officials who spoke to our correspondent claimed that they were wrongly arrested, saying they were not among those who attacked policemen.

One of the leaders of the federal taskforce, Aminu Kazeem, said he was inside the premises when policemen stormed the area and arrested him and his colleagues.

He said could not tell if some of his men attacked policemen, as he was not outside where the clash occurred.

Adeyemi Adeshina, who claimed to be the Deputy Director in the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA), and working at the taskforce yard, said he was inside when the police came and arrested him.

From: http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/05/200-arrested-sure-p-taskforce-lagos-officials-clash/

3 Likes

Re: . by Yeske2(m): 11:37am On Oct 21, 2014
karlmax2:
this the problem i have with all this paid apc propogandist when your face with hard facts you call thems lies.pls since are lies can you tell us what is fact. Cos i know that to you and your likes fact is any cock and bull story that paints this government in bad light or this disjointed write up that was put together by a simpleton who doesnt even know that his state governor collects share from the same sure-p his trying to rubbish on his be half .or dont even know sure-p has a well organised working website that shows what they are doing.which those he elected. Dont even tell him what they are doing with what they have been collecting since 2011 his busy chasing shadows.can you now tell us what is the truth if what sincere nigeria wrote are lies tell us what is fact .
Stories that touches, save the epistle for the Queen. I've always said I'm apolitical but i guess in your delusional self, anyone who criticizes GEJ or PDP is ACN, so much for the education you were bequeathed with.
Back to topic, for those close to GEJ, tell him to repair FG roads in the SE and SS before Xmas as so many people will witness live the fraud he is if this is not done. Not about party or stuff but redeeming his image.

2 Likes

Re: . by Ngwakwe: 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
You were disputing with my figures before. See Ngwakwe, I always check fact right before quoting governbment figures. If you have nothing to say just ignore than come here to embarrass yourself. Are you aware that the Reps even had to investigate the over N2.2 trillion Naira that was spent on Subsidy in 2011 alone by the Jonathan's Administration because Yar Adua fuel subsidy expenditure in 2010 was not even up to N700 billion.
Be careful with your words, I am not a beer parlor gossip

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-13/nigeria-probes-possible-fraud-over-12-6-billion-subsidies.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-10/nigeria-probes-possible-fraud-over-12-6-billion-fuel-subsidies.html

NNPC is an autonomous agency of the Government and any extra budgetary expenditure on Fuel Subsidy estimates are bid to be captured in supplementary budget. That is the norm hence the NASS was performing its oversight function and not necessarily a probe.

Was the NASS probing President Goodluck Jonathan's government or subsidy regime approved by NASS?

Was there any Government minister indicted by the probe?

You see, just like the NASS declared the removal of Kerosene Subsidy by President Yar'dua null and void by stressing the failure in due process as contained in law (contrary to what Mallam Sanusi pointed out). This has become the deciding fact in the relationship between Government and its agency the NNPC.

I repeat, The removal of Kerosene Subsidy by President Yar'dua was then declared illegal because he never issued any official gazette to NNPC, so are so many decisions in government.

The Senate then recommended that the President should forward a supplementary budget to cover the expenditures.

The above statement captures how government is interwoven, so many figures you brandish are often reconciled afterwards.

Stop using preliminary findings and suspicions as verdicts/outcome of events until the matter is established or ends in conviction.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Olaolufred(m): 12:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
Yeske2:
Stories that touches, save the epistle for the Queen. I've always said I'm apolitical but i guess in your delusional self, anyone who criticizes GEJ or PDP is ACN, so much for the education you were bequeathed with.
Back to topic, for those close to GEJ, tell him to repair FG roads in the SE and SS before Xmas as so many people will witness live the fraud he is if this is not done. Not about party or stuff but redeeming his image.

All the roads in SS and SE are perfect as we talk.
What again do you want from Oga joe?
It is in SW that we still have some roads in disrepair.
Mind you, states are also culprits.
Just that their own failure is gross on Inner roads.
Sorry, don't be offended.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
Ngwakwe:

NNPC is an autonomous agency of the Government and any extra budgetary expenditure on Fuel Subsidy estimates are bid to be captured in supplementary budget. That is the norm hence the NASS was performing its oversight function and not necessarily a probe.

Was the NASS probing President Goodluck Jonathan's government or subsidy regime approved by NASS?

Was there any Government minister indicted by the probe?

You see, just like the NASS declared the removal of Kerosene Subsidy by President Yar'dua null and void by stressing the failure in due process as contained in law (contrary to what Mallam Sanusi pointed out). This has become the deciding fact in the relationship between Government and its agency the NNPC.

I repeat, The removal of Kerosene Subsidy by President Yar'dua was then declared illegal because he never issued any official gazette to NNPC, so are so many decisions in government.

The Senate then recommended that the President should forward a supplementary budget to cover the expenditures.

The above statement captures how government is interwoven, so many figures you brandish are often reconciled afterwards.

Stop using preliminary findings and suspicions as verdicts/outcome of events until the matter is established or ends in conviction.

I don't even understand you. I am questioning the overnight Sharp rise of the Subsidy Bills from less than N700 billion in 2010(under Yar Adua) to N2.3 trillion in 2011 under Jonathan. It shows that there is fraud in the system supervised by JONATHAN. Whether appropriated for or otherwise is another issue. Please spare me this back and forth argument and stop saying I brandish figures, as I get all my figures right.

1 Like

Re: . by Yeske2(m): 12:27pm On Oct 21, 2014
Olaolufred:

All the roads in SS and SE are perfect as we talk.
What again do you want from Oga joe?
It is in SW that we still have some roads in disrepair.
Mind you, states are also culprits.
Just that their own failure is gross on Inner roads.
Sorry, don't be offended.
I no fit shout
Re: . by Ngwakwe: 12:31pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
I don't even understand you. I am questioning the overnight Sharp rise of the Subsidy Bills from less than N700 billion in 2010(under Yar Adua) to N2.3 trillion in 2011 under Jonathan. It shows that there is fraud in the system supervised by JONATHAN. Whether appropriated for or otherwise is another issue. Please spare me this back and forth argument and stop saying I brandish figures, as I get all my figures right.

You are not in any position to establish otherwise than the one the NASS has done.

May I remind you that Billion of Dollars were missing in PTF money yet you still claim Buhari's innocence. Remember to keep this tune the moment we start firing in Buhari's direction.

President Jonathan was never connected to subsidy regime probe rather NNPC which is the agency of "Nigerian Government" not that of executive branch.

Anybody who supported Fuel subsidy has lost the moral authority to question the misappropriation as it was one of the reasons GEJ gave why it should be withdrawn. And by supporting the removal shows he intends not to benefit from the scheme. QED

3 Likes

Re: . by Sibabasibaba1: 12:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista: I repeat, you are VERY ignorant of Kano State and Nigeria. BTW, Nigeria is practising a "False" federalism, we are calling for true federalism. it is not just rhetorics but in practice. As for the subsidy, Nigerians elected Mr. Goodluck Jonathan to lead at the Federal level and Goodluck Jonathan made those promises, without achieving ONE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that you are very knowledgeable about Kano State, hence you argue that potable water has been provided across the 44 councils of the state. Yet, Cholera, a water borne disease has been ravaging the state. There was even a reported case of another water borne disease, Guinea worm, in Kano this year. Note that the last case of Guinea worm was reported in Nigeria in 2008. Yet, it resurfaced in Kano, a state that has, according to you, provided potable water for its citizens.

Meanwhile this may interest you:

An emperical research by Nura Bello and Ibrahim Abdullahi published this year says Kano State provides just 36 per cent of the potable water demand of the Kano metropolis: www.ijsk.org/uploads/3/1/1/7/3117743/4_water_supply_situations.pdf

This is despite claims by the state government that it has spent N18 billion to provide potable water across the state in the past two and half years: http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/kano-govt-spends-n18bn-provision-potable-water-commissioner

The article by Nura and Abdullahi observes that the daily water demand of KANO METROPOLIS ALONE is 550 million liters while the government provides only 200 million liters (36 per cent of the demand). Now, the government claims in the Daily Times report that it provides 300 million liters of water daily for the ENTIRE STATE. Now, let's assume the government is saying the truth about the volume of water it provides for the whole state, don't you think this is grossly inadequate?

If in this year alone we have heard of cases of cholera and guinea worm in Kano doesn't that tell you something about potable water being luxury in the state? So who is ignorant about Kano now?

So Nigeria is no longer a federal state? Yet state and local governments get their share of monthly allocations from Abuja and states have their own boards of internal revenues which collect taxes for them.

Certainly, objectivity has taken flight!

3 Likes

Re: . by jaymichael(m): 1:13pm On Oct 21, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
The chief Buhari attack dog, at work.
For fair minded Nigerians, here is what funds saved by partial subsidy removal has been used for at the federal level.
https://www.nairaland.com/1255508/sure-p-getting-job-done
I created the above thread last year when I had time to push back APC propaganda and for posterity.
Meanwhile, can the APC attack dogs share with us what the APC governors have been doing with their share of partial subsidy removal funds?
Mr despicable, you disgust me. Government achievements re not meant to be seen on the pages of paper or the internet, It should be seen and felt physically by the people. If i need to see the achievements of the Lagos state government, I need only leave my house, walk around two or three streets around my neighborhood. The roads, the refurbished schools, the hospitals, working government institutions are all testament to the handiwork of a working government. Jonathan is a morbidly corrupt corpse-rotten drunkard. Tell him Jaymichael says so. When his disgrace comes, it shall affect all his yansh lickers like you. shame on you and your likes. #Spits on your face

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by pring: 1:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
If I’m voted into power within
the next four years, the issue of power will
become a thing of the past. Four years is
enough for anyone in power to make significant
improvement and if I can’t improve on power
within this period, it then means I cannot do
anything even if I am there for the next four
years.”-GEJ 2011

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 21, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
barcanista: I repeat, you are VERY ignorant of Kano State and Nigeria. BTW, Nigeria is practising a "False" federalism, we are calling for true federalism. it is not just rhetorics but in practice. As for the subsidy, Nigerians elected Mr. Goodluck Jonathan to lead at the Federal level and Goodluck Jonathan made those promises, without achieving ONE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that you are very knowledgeable about Kano State, hence you argue that potable water has been provided across the 44 councils of the state. Yet, Cholera, a water borne disease has been ravaging the state. There was even a reported case of another water borne disease, Guinea worm, in Kano this year. Note that the last case of Guinea worm was reported in Nigeria in 2008. Yet, it resurfaced in Kano, a state that has, according to you, provided potable water for its citizens.

Meanwhile this may interest you:

An emperical research by Nura Bello and Ibrahim Abdullahi published this year says Kano State provides just 36 per cent of the potable water demand of the Kano metropolis: www.ijsk.org/uploads/3/1/1/7/3117743/4_water_supply_situations.pdf

This is despite claims by the state government that it has spent N18 billion to provide potable water across the state in the past two and half years: http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/kano-govt-spends-n18bn-provision-potable-water-commissioner

The article by Nura and Abdullahi observes that the daily water demand of KANO METROPOLIS ALONE is 550 million liters while the government provides only 200 million liters (36 per cent of the demand). Now, the government claims in the Daily Times report that it provides 300 million liters of water daily for the ENTIRE STATE. Now, let's assume the government is saying the truth about the volume of water it provides for the whole state, don't you think this is grossly inadequate?

If in this year alone we have heard of cases of cholera and guinea worm in Kano doesn't that tell you something about potable water being luxury in the state? So who is ignorant about Kano now?

Certainly, objectivity has taken flight!

My friend I am not silly. Your so-called emperical research is/was even flawed. Look at the methodology
This research work solely depends on of secondary
data
. These data were derived from some institutions
that are related to water supply in Kano metropolitan
such as Kano State Water Board and Water
Resources Engineering and Construction Agency as
well as National Population Commission. The
collected data were analyzed using descriptive
statistics such as Tables and chart as well as other
illustrative.
You can't expect to get an accurate result by solely depending on secondary research. Reason being that the materials used as sample may not be updated as at time of research or any other human and non human error. Hence, such research usually have high percentage of inaccuracies, and it can not be accepted anywhere as a reliable source for knowledge.

So Nigeria is no longer a federal state? Yet state and local governments get their share of monthly allocations from Abuja and states have their own boards of internal revenues which collect taxes for them.
It is only someone like you that will call Nigeria's system Federalism. You need to look up what a federal State is, like what is obtained in the United States of America. You need ti ask why Nigerians are calling for True Federalism to be adopted other than this pseudo federalism that we currently practice.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: . by Sibabasibaba1: 3:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:

My friend I am not silly. Your so-called emperical research is/was even flawed. Look at the methodology
You can't expect to get an accurate result by solely depending on secondary research. Reason being that the materials used as sample may not be updated as at time of research or any other human and non human error. Hence, such research usually have high percentage of inaccuracies, and it can not be accepted anywhere as a reliable source for knowledge.

It is only someone like you that will call Nigeria's system Federalism. You need to look up what a federal State is, like what is obtained in the United States of America. You need ti ask why Nigerians are calling for True Federalism to be adopted other than this pseudo federalism that we currently practice.

Thank you
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, In this type of research, the methodology is apt, very apt! Where else can the researchers get their data if not from institutions like: Kano State Water Board and Water Resources Engineering and Construction Agency as well as National Population Commission? The first and second institutions are the primary organisations that can supply the type of data being sought. That the data are secondary does not make research flawed or 'un-emperical'. Besides, no researcher will fault this methodology for this type of research. At the time they conducted their research, the data were accurate.

And even from the statement of the Kano State Water Board boss, in the second link I provided, you could see that the data these guys used cannot be faulted as the statement of the water board boss bears out their research. The water board boss says they pump 300 million liters of water daily for the whole of the 44 councils of Kano. These other guys in there research observed that 200 million liters of water daily for the six local governments that make up Kano Metropolis (Kano Municipal, Fagge, Dala, Gwale, Tarauni and Nassarawa). In other words, the remaining 100 million liters from the 300 million liters the state government claims it pumps daily is for the other 38 local government areas of Kano. This is GROSSLY inadequate. And that is why we have cases of cholera and guinea worm in that state.

Now, you just can't fault the this research with an apt methodology just because you want to argue that a state that has cases of cholera and guinea worm has provided adequate potable water for its residents. The 'secondary data' here are very okay because working with 'primary data' not significantly change anything. What the guys did was to get the daily volume of water provided by the state government and also get the population of Kano and also the average daily water usage of a household. From there they got the required volume for the state. That is the standard thing to do and if it were a thesis no examiner will fault it.

Regarding federalism, Whether you call it pseudo-federalism or whatever, it does not change the fact that Nigeria's system of government is closer to that of the USA than that of the UK. Federalism has variations. The features of the Australian Federalism vary from those of the US federalism. It does not make the Australian's UNtrue federalism. So, if Nigeria's federalism varies from these other two, it does not make Nigeria less federal. We can amend our Constitution at any time (if we can summon the courage) to alter the features of our own federalism. The three countries practice their federalism based on how they evolved or are evolving as individual nations. Nigeria does not have to practice their type of federalism to be called a federal state. Pray! if Nigeria is not practicing federalism why did the Lagos State government go to court over the domestication of the FoI Bill? Why have some states domesticated the Child Rights Act while some states have not? Why is Sharia practiced in some states and not in others?

Now, your last response was less insulting than the former-even though you can do better. As I said, insults do not win arguments. Rather, they indicate lack of valid points for arguments.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 21, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
barcanista:

Thank you
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, In this type of research, the methodology is apt, very apt! Where else can the researchers get their data if not from institutions like: Kano State Water Board and Water Resources Engineering and Construction Agency as well as National Population Commission? The first and second institutions are the primary organisations that can supply the type of data being sought. That the data are secondary does not make research flawed or 'un-emperical'. Besides, no researcher will fault this methodology for this type of research. At the time they conducted their research, the data were accurate.

And even from the statement of the Kano State Water Board boss, in the second link I provided, you could see that the data these guys used cannot be faulted as the statement of the water board boss bears out their research. The water board boss says they pump 300 million liters of water daily for the whole of the 44 councils of Kano. These other guys in there research observed that 200 million liters of water daily for the six local governments that make up Kano Metropolis (Kano Municipal, Fagge, Dala, Gwale, Tarauni and Nassarawa). In other words, the remaining 100 million liters from the 300 million liters the state government claims it pumps daily is for the other 38 local government areas of Kano. This is GROSSLY inadequate. And that is why we have cases of cholera and guinea worm in that state.

Now, you just can't fault the this research with an apt methodology just because you want to argue that a state that has cases of cholera and guinea worm has provided adequate potable water for its residents. The 'secondary data' here are very okay because working with 'primary data' not significantly change anything. What the guys did was to get the daily volume of water provided by the state government and also get the population of Kano and also the average daily water usage of a household. From there they got the required volume for the state. That is the standard thing to do and if it were a thesis no examiner will fault it.

Regarding federalism, Whether you call it pseudo-federalism or whatever, it does not change the fact that Nigeria's system of government is closer to that of the USA than that of the UK. Federalism has variations. The features of the Australian Federalism vary from those of the US federalism. It does not make the Australian's UNtrue federalism. So, if Nigeria's federalism varies from these other two, it does not make Nigeria less federal. We can amend our Constitution at any time (if we can summon the courage) to alter the features of our own federalism. The three countries practice their federalism based on how they evolved or are evolving as individual nations. Nigeria does not have to practice their type of federalism to be called a federal state. Pray! if Nigeria is not practicing federalism why did the Lagos State government go to court over the domestication of the FoI Bill? Why have some states domesticated the Child Rights Act while some states have not? Why is Sharia practiced in some states and not in others?

Now, your last response was less insulting the former-even though you can do better. As I said, insults do not win arguments. Rather, they indicate lack of valid points for arguments.
My friend, You say NPC? May I remind you that an incumbent NPC boss faulted the records in NPC and was subsequently relieved of his duties? What has changed between then and now? In a project like the Water Research, secondary data collection is never enough to get a near excellent or very good result. The investigator need to also leave the comfort of his bedroom, conduct interview, surveys, observations from locals, opinion leaders, the press and all those concerned. My friend, You can't solely rely on data from a government website to arrive at accurate result, not especially a Nigerian Government/or a Federating state.

As for our system of government, a Federating State should naturally not have a so-powerful center. Look at the Wealth distribution between states and FG, it is so laughable. This is one reason reason why the performace of any federal government usually have a HEAVY effect on the populace. If the Center is weak, I am sure some state will relatively progress economically even with a not so good federal economic policy.
Re: . by Remarkable: 8:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
A leopard (really) can not hide its spots....

see how Orlando Owo just gave himself away...

Guy, what gain you from pretending to be different personalities on a faceless forum... does the act give you a permanent boner or what?

The other time you were caught posing as a girl in the romance section... and here in the politicssection, your "acts" are uncountable...

You seem to never get tired of being double-faced... runs in the blood/tribe, huh?

it shows that you are:

1. Shameless.

2. Have low self esteem... very low self esteem.

3. un-intelligent and afraid your low level of intelligence will be ridiculed.

4. An imposter - usually what jobless people do.

5. A coward - the more double-faced you are, the bigger cowardice is in you. truly.

We'd known all this while you aint whom you said you are... and that you were from the SW... but who knew it will be the same old Orlando Owo posing as Barcanista.

Get a life man.

NLnders quit arguing with this guy, he's fake, can't you see that even his "intelligence" is phony? he says nothing intellectual.... makes ridiculous arguments, no points, at best he reproduces already posted or written ideas .... he's not worth the effort, really.

barcanista:
Rubbish
Re: . by Sibabasibaba1: 9:29pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
My friend, You say NPC? May I remind you that an incumbent NPC boss faulted the records in NPC and was subsequently relieved of his duties? What has changed between then and now? In a project like the Water Research, secondary data collection is never enough to get a near excellent or very good result. The investigator need to also leave the comfort of his bedroom, conduct interview, surveys, observations from locals, opinion leaders, the press and all those concerned. My friend, You can't solely rely on data from a government website to arrive at accurate result, not especially a Nigerian Government/or a Federating state.

As for our system of government, a Federating State should naturally not have a so-powerful center. Look at the Wealth distribution between states and FG, it is so laughable. This is one reason reason why the performace of any federal government usually have a HEAVY effect on the populace. If the Center is weak, I am sure some state will relatively progress economically even with a not so good federal economic policy.

-----------------------------------------------------

I can see that you like arguing for the sake of argument. Each research has an objective and the methodology for this research fits. It is was a research about the WHAT and not about the WHY and HOW. Therefore there was no need for interviews and surveys of water users. That will not impress any examiner. Anybody versed in in research methodologies and methods will tell you that the topic, aims and objectives determine the methodologies and methods of a research. Based on what this research set out to achieve, nobody can fault it. If you need schooling un social science research methodologies, I will humbly school you. I am not sounding immodest, it is my specialty.

So, I don't know what you are trying to prove when the facts on ground bear out the research. The statement of the water board boss and the cholera as well as the guinea worm prove that potable water is LUXURY in kano. From records, Kano has one of the the worst cases of resident to potable water ratio. You can't spin this one.

Whether there is problem with accurate census or not is neither here nor there. What we have now is what we plan with. There is no other body that is better placed than NPC in Nigeria on population matters. Or is there any you can think of?

Nobody is arguing on whether our federalism has issues. It sure has. But it is still a federalism.

We operate more of a federal structure than a unitary structure. Our system of government is not in any way close to those of Ghana and the UK which operate a unitary government. Rather, it is closer to that of America-albeit with variations. What you can say is that something may be wrong with our federalism and not that we don't practise federalism.

Our federalism can never be exactly the same with America's. NEVER. This is because we have different socio-political challenges and we are evolving differently as a nation. Even some Americans will tell you that something is also wrong with there federalism.
Re: . by chuks552: 9:30pm On Oct 21, 2014
mods front page please
Re: . by najoke: 9:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
[s]
Remarkable:
A leopard (really) can not hide its spots....

see how Orlando Owo just gave himself away...

Guy, what gain you from pretending to be different personalities on a faceless forum... does the act give you a permanent boner or what?

The other time you were caught posing as a girl in the romance section... and here in the politicssection, your "acts" are uncountable...

You seem to never get tired of being double-faced... runs in the blood/tribe, huh?

it shows that you are:

1. Shameless.

2. Have low self esteem... very low self esteem.

3. un-intelligent and afraid your low level of intelligence will be ridiculed.

4. An imposter - usually what jobless people do.

5. A coward - the more double-faced you are, the bigger cowardice is in you. truly.

We'd known all this while you aint whom you said you are... and that you were from the SW... but who knew it will be the same old Orlando Owo posing as Barcanista.

Get a life man.

NLnders quit arguing with this guy, he's fake, can't you see that even his "intelligence" is phony? he says nothing intellectual.... makes ridiculous arguments, no points, at best he reproduces already posted or written ideas .... he's not worth the effort, really[/s].

for your mind you go dey happy say u don contribute to the topic......i think it is you that should be ignored
Re: . by Happywoman(f): 9:56pm On Oct 21, 2014
U forgot to add YOUwin scam!
Immigration stampede Massacre
The boko haram issue
The de-fanging of EFCC
The power situation
His clueless and insensitive praise singers.

Just to mention a few. Kai dis guy really fall my hand sha!
Smh

barcanista:
1. PALLIATIVES:
Labaran Maku, 23 February 2012.

Over TWO Years After, No Mass Transit Bus on our roads

2. ON OUR REFINERY...
Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, 11 Jan 2012

Over TWO Years After, all our Refineries Remain Near dead, Production rate remains at 35% Capacity in all our existing refineries.

3. THREE NEW REFINERIES TO BE BUILT

Mike Onomelemen, Minister of Works

Over TWO Years After, No New Refinery have been built. Not even two blocks have been joined together, the pump price of petrol still remain at N97/ltr

4. SURE-P TO CREATE JOBS FOR NIGERIANS, 130,000 Jobs Created- FG

BUT

The Government Promised Job, but it is evident that it is the poor unemployed masses that are providing job for the over-fed government

1 Like

Re: . by musaibnabdul(m): 10:37pm On Oct 21, 2014
GEJ promised us fresh air, but we are struggling to breath. Bokoharam, kidnappers n armed robbers (even those boys on black) harassing Nigerians. Vote out bad governance . Vote GMB

1 Like

Re: . by davo3286: 1:05am On Oct 22, 2014
berem:
what has Fashola got to do with disapppearance of subsidy buses owned by FG? You TANoids are so annoying!

That's your headache! I've made my point so make yours and keep TAN out your conversation with me. And I say again if the 'subsidy' buses disappeared in Lagos ask Fashola why they got missing under his watch. Maybe he converted them to BRT buses...just maybe. grin
Re: . by vicadex07(m): 1:29am On Oct 22, 2014
barcanista:
Which buses? did you see any bus? He only Promised it since 2012 but that is it.

Double post
Re: . by vicadex07(m): 1:29am On Oct 22, 2014
barcanista:
Which buses? did you see any bus? He only Promised it since 2012 but that is it.

Jonathan is deaf and dumb. He never hears the cry of the masses; only the cheers of the
sycophants surrounding him is audible to the otueke clown. Can you Imagine a president that decides the best new year gift is a 200% increase in fuel pumping price. It is in Jonathans administration that I will first hear the word subsidy. Upon all the subsidy noise, what was done about the thieves caught, the money recovered and the money being generated after subsidy was partially removed.
The whole plan was ochestrated just to divert money from a certain group of cabals to another at the expense of the masses.
JonaTAN is wicked. JonaTAN is evil.

Jonathan is saTAN
Re: . by Remarkable: 1:31am On Oct 22, 2014
its people like you that after GEJ wins the election, needs to be held down and GEJ will come and carefully bend over and take a dump on your face.... the watery beans kind of phoop....

silly people

jaymichael:
Mr despicable, you disgust me. Government achievements re not meant to be seen on the pages of paper or the internet, It should be seen and felt physically by the people. If i need to see the achievements of the Lagos state government, I need only leave my house, walk around two or three streets around my neighborhood. The roads, the refurbished schools, the hospitals, working government institutions are all testament to the handiwork of a working government. Jonathan is a morbidly corrupt corpse-rotten drunkard. Tell him Jaymichael says so. When his disgrace comes, it shall affect all his yansh lickers like you. shame on you and your likes. #Spits on your face
Re: . by vicadex07(m): 1:35am On Oct 22, 2014
chuks552:
mods front page please

For where, PDP has bought over nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Atiku Lacks What It Takes To Champion Anti-Corruption Drive – Ambode / Women Group, Lawyer Colleagues Support Barr. Morah For House Of Representatives / Ekiti: Olusola Eleka Withdraws From Senatorial Race

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.