Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,088 members, 7,811,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned (6739 Views)

Poll: Okonjo Iweala's resignation. Good or Bad?

She resigned to save her name: 38% (52 votes)
She was a victim of high politicking: 28% (39 votes)
She was just frustrated out: 29% (40 votes)
It's the anti Atiku phenomenon.: 3% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Okonjo Iweala Has Been Asked To Step Down / Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has 90 Million Naira Monthly Security Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Seye(m): 6:05pm On Aug 03, 2006
Okonjo-Iweala Resigns

I just watched a newsflash on CHANNELS TV now and I heard that Nigeria's former Finance minister and recently redeployed to Foreign Affairs has resigned her appointment. I learnt yesterday also that she was relieved of her headship of the Economic Think tank of Obasanjo's government. What do you think its going on?

Some said she was redeployed because the PDP govt. need a lot of money towards prosecuting 2007 election and she's seen as blockage, hence her redeployment. What do you think? Was her resignation in order? I think was she did was the right thing to do, just to keep her name. She left when the ovation is loud.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by ababoy1(m): 6:23pm On Aug 03, 2006
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 6:47pm On Aug 03, 2006
CHi I would resign too,
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by azorjiu(m): 6:49pm On Aug 03, 2006
Obasanjo is a chemeleon. He has many colours.

His 2007 intentions seem evil.
He has succeeded in making a mockery of himself and his government.

May be oby, El Rufai, Dora and Soludo should resign now before he dumps them as well.
He is known to use people before dumping them.

Okonjo's case is an example of how inhuman human beings can be.
He used her to secure debt relief and now, he believes she has to go because of her need to be close to her family. OBJ, this is a shame!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Eurphoria(f): 6:52pm On Aug 03, 2006
Typical

when would change come? cry that country is doomed surely. the good ones are always driven out. I tell you Obasanjo is so not qualified and don't know whether to be glad he is on his way out or not, the country is surely doomed. Times and things like these make me seriously hate my people cry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Hotstepper(f): 6:56pm On Aug 03, 2006
What family issues are they talking about?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Seye(m): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2006
Forget it. Its just an excuse. OBJ need money to prosecute 2007 election. She's seen as a stumbling block. How come her resignation was accepted in a hurry like this. Ahba.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by ike4real: 7:04pm On Aug 03, 2006
pally u can plzz say that again,honestly,obasanjo right 4rom time does not feel com4table working with technocrats,because he knows they are always 2 democratic and also 2 driven by things being done accordingly.And besides her resignation might not be unconnected with her griviances partaining the modus-operandi of her removal 4rom the ministry of finance 2 the ministry of foreign affairs.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Seye(m): 7:23pm On Aug 03, 2006
Yeah, I agree with u.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by azorjiu(m): 7:35pm On Aug 03, 2006
angry cry. I'm distressed for thee, my country nigeria!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Aug 03, 2006
So this is what President Obasanjo represents? Noted. Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala, thanks for making it clear.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 7:58pm On Aug 03, 2006
This is very depressing. In recent years I have firmly believed in a better future for Nigeria, Lord knows how I love that country. With the way things are going however, I think I may be on my last lap. The last straw for me will be next year's elections. If we arent able to pull through that succesfully or if any of the ex-military guys gets back into power, then I may very well give up altogether.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 8:00pm On Aug 03, 2006
you people in this room can crucify somebody before you know the details. there is more reasons to why she was replaced, and there are 2 side to every story, just because she succeeded in one aspect of her job does not mean she is clean as a whistle.  well maybe now she can contest for the presidency. who knows.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2006
You never give up on your contry regardless of the situation, you never give up on your family in times of need, Nigeria need each and every one of us now. if you and I give up, then who will fix the problems?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by dollypee1(f): 8:10pm On Aug 03, 2006
true talk mr odeku. whether she  resigned willingly or not,is not my problem,i look on d bright side and i surely no things are gonna get better in nigeria.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:19pm On Aug 03, 2006
On personal levels, I don't know the woman but based on what she has done for the country, I will say confidently that Nigeria has probably lost the best thing to ever happen to her.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 8:19pm On Aug 03, 2006
and If in deed OBJ is using all this people, we will find out and he will be exposed after his tenure.  I wonder can you prosecute an ex president for crime in Nigeria or the enjoy immunity from prosecution after office as well?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2006
Did someone just ask why Nigeria is backward? Yeah right there was the answer, you never let your best hands go! Hey Nenadi Usman, we are waiting for you to take us back to Egypt er sorry the debt servicing era!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2006
Odeku, i blv u will find ur answer in the question (I know - naija dey answer question with question grin):

Has IBB ever been brought to justice? wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Ojukwursg(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2006
I doff my hat for the ex-foreign (or finance minister). But I was wondering what she has been waiting for. Or maybe she thought she could convince the vindictive baba that the way he was going was not going to do the country any good. However, am glad and she finally resigned. Imagine what will happen when in 2007, the new govt discovers that from June 2006 there was a systematic looting of the treasury. Some of us here will quickly note that "we thought that woman was a saint."

Its better she leave and spare her name from the taint and shame that would have soiled it. Its a pity she has endured so much from this irresponsible and shamelessly vindictive government of the incumbent. She should not stay here or hang around. Assassins are always on the prowl. The row count of unsolved murder and assasination cases in the country are numerous. Nigeria cannot afford to lose a worthy technocrat like her. I fear for her life. Am not paranoid, but we know that in Nigeria, anything is possible especially under the inglorious umbrella of People Deceiving People (PDP).

Soludo, Akunyili, Ribadu, and co should take a cue, their boss does not forgive. He'll either bend you or break you. He who fights and run will live to fight another day.The choice is yours.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 8:26pm On Aug 03, 2006
well IBB was a military head of state under decree, and OBJ is under or guided by constitution I think.  lets not forget the president has a final say on who stay and who goes, but there are unknown people and unseen people under the president that helps him makes decisions as well.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2006
Odeku:

doesn't matter. I believe he was once invited to that anti-corruption tribunal/panel. If he could be invited, that to me means that the implication was that he isn't above the law.

At least thatz my take. I could be dead wrong. It wouldn't be the first time wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 8:30pm On Aug 03, 2006
When I say I will give up altogether, you are hearing the mourning lament of a deeply patriotic Nigerian. The fact that I decided a long time ago to stick out my neck for Nigeria through thick or thin makes my frustration even worse. But I think about my father, for example, who when he was my age left his lucrative position in the UK to serve our fatherland. I look at him today and wonder whether it was worth it. Perhaps not. There were many like him back then who sacrificed everything for Nigeria, but its the same depressing story all around. You know what is worse, the same thing, even worse, is happening over 40 years later, a la Okonjo Iweala's case! Nigeria has a way of frustrating even the most resilient patriots. What the f*%k is the wrong with us?

Anyway I just hope what you are saying is true and that when we hear both sides of the story (as if that will ever happen) the situation will turn out to not be as depressing as it looks right now.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Remmzy(m): 8:30pm On Aug 03, 2006
May be i would say she doesn't want to become the next Death victim, because someone wants her out of His political gangway, its just the truth.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2006
I remember he was invited but there wasn't any substantial evidence against him was why the case was resolved, remember he is maradona
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:37pm On Aug 03, 2006
I feel u, alarinjo.

My Dad took us all back literally a week after his graduation. That was back in 1980 when 20 cups of garri went for N1 shocked shocked

Fast forward to 1998: He made his 'second coming' back to America. He was told his degrees (american) are out of date and so he had to start from scratch. I am alway very pissed when I remember these things. Even till today at his age, he says that regardless of situation back home, if it comes to war (he fought on Nigeria's side during Biafran war), he will go back to fight. He he.

Whether Ngozi left for good or bad, the fact is that Nigeria has lost perhaps the only respectable Minister of the bunch. I look forward to observation our financial health over the months leading to 2007 elections.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Ojukwursg(m): 8:38pm On Aug 03, 2006
Remmzy:

May be i would say she doesn't want to become the next Death victim, because someone wants her out of His political gangway, its just the truth.

Ojukwu_rsg:

She should not stay here or hang around. Assassins are always on the prowl. The row count of unsolved murder and assasination cases in the country are numerous. Nigeria cannot afford to lose a worthy technocrat like her. I fear for her life. Am not paranoid, but we know that in Nigeria, anything is possible especially under the inglorious umbrella of People Deceiving People (PDP).

Soludo, Akunyili, Ribadu, and co should take a cue, their boss does not forgive. He'll either bend you or break you. He who fights and run will live to fight another day.The choice is yours.

I think we are saying the same thing.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:39pm On Aug 03, 2006
Odeku LOL:

"Substantial evidence"? Come on man, u know there was plenty of evidence, most provable even by someone without a law degree. I am part of the "substantial evidence" - I left Nigeria cos of the indefinite ban he placed on University students after cancelling June 12 elections. I spent 3 yrs as a first year student angry

Come on now grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 8:43pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ My2Cents,

WORD!

You know, when I was leaving for the states, my dad, now over 70years old said, "son, don't hurry back home. I know you are passionate about your country etc. etc. but open your eyes well before you leave the states. I wish I had listened to your mum when she said we should remain in the UK in the 60s."

I have thought about it long and hard and considered that the best solution would be to keep one foot in yankee and the other in naija, but now I don't even know anymore. What if the foot I keep in Naija gets so crushed that I end up a cripple
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 8:46pm On Aug 03, 2006
dis is a shocker by all ramifications and is a bad sign no matter hw anyone may try to justify it. lets hope there is a justifiable reason for this. There is something fishy abt this and the timing.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:47pm On Aug 03, 2006
LOL alarinjo:

Follow my rule: Keep 1 toe in Nigeria and 9 in yankee until after the 2007 elections. After that, add another toe with each successful/peaceful election. Take 2 out for every Military coup (I pray this is a thing of the past though, but hey, it's naija and u never know wink)
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Remmzy(m): 8:49pm On Aug 03, 2006
 what's happening to Big naija the mother/giant of AFRICA, this will restrict some good fellas from going back home to help naija, eyaaaaaaa! angry angry angry sad shocked cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Anyone Knows Why Ibb (sap) Structural Adjustment Program Was A Failure? / Hameed Ali In Uniform (pics) / I Saw This Somewhere In Osun Today. How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.