Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,430 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned (6752 Views)

Poll: Okonjo Iweala's resignation. Good or Bad?

She resigned to save her name: 38% (52 votes)
She was a victim of high politicking: 28% (39 votes)
She was just frustrated out: 29% (40 votes)
It's the anti Atiku phenomenon.: 3% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Okonjo Iweala Has Been Asked To Step Down / Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has 90 Million Naira Monthly Security Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Danmasani(m): 12:33pm On Aug 04, 2006
Love44
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned
« #79 on: Today at 02:44:28 AM »

All these things that is happening in Nigeria is because of the Northern Nigerian. Have you guys forget that this so called north rule Nigeria for more than 35 years and destroyed everything in the country without no investments. The British gave the power to the north so that the people in Nigeria would live in abject poverty without no constant electricity, water or even boast of good rods. For as long the southern part of Nigeria would continue to be with the north, we will continue to be useless and backward. All these things that is going on especially the southern part of Nigeria is because of the North. First of all i do not have anything in common with the North and i still wonder why the British joined me with this idiots and Baffoons.They North do not want anything to be good in the country because they are illitrate. If they are elected the president of Nigeria in 2007 there will be alot of problem in the country. Abacha that was from the North stole more that 2.4 billion of dollars from the Niger Delta. I hope the Niger Deltan would deal those idiots.

Some fool has arrived the forum.
Love44, tell me something please and back it up with concrete evidence? How has the North contributed to Okonjo-Iweala tribulations? How has Abacha, Babangida, Buhari, Atiku or any other Northerner influence the decision to ridicule her like this? I await your explanation!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by onyegbula(m): 12:40pm On Aug 04, 2006
Remmzy u r right, it's nt encouraging at all. she felt it would be as fair as she is, bt failin 2 rem dat every part of nija is affected with d stigma of our bad politics. Rem. d stock exchange woman is doing very well because she understands d system, a system we all knw is very bad. Every Politician in Nigeria is a potential criminal, so if u cnt be a criminal better nt to join them.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by otokx(m): 1:02pm On Aug 04, 2006
@Onyegbula

You hit the head on the nail; when you bring nigerians who were trained and are practising their fields abroad to nigeria indeed to africa, the system frustrates them. Okonji - Iweala should have left when she was moved from the finance ministry. In any case at least she still has her head on her body and can return to her family who were never really a part of us. 2007 will be a great year; a lot of intrigues.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Jachoz(m): 1:25pm On Aug 04, 2006
Ngozi perhaps did not work her way into the 'kingdom' and she was given appointment in her field. Satan wanted to whip her a$$ to prove to Nigerians that every Nigerian is a potential failure in economic recovery no matter the field of speciality. Ngozi disappointed the SATAN and performed creditably well. She cleansed the Finance Ministry and gave us some hope. All mouths were shouting and praising her and SATAN became uncomfortable. SATAN was determined to score a point and made the moves to destroy her reputation by all means. NGOZI read the handwriting on the wall and gave way.

Just like the friend otokx has said, I thank GOD you still have your precious head on your body. As far as I am concerned, you are the first lady, the mother of the nation or should I say the best president Nigeria never hard.

Your good work can never be forgotten in a hurry. We appreciate you so much even beyond your own imagination. I wish you well in all your future endeavours.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2006
people are so quick to jump to conclusion, no matter what happen or what she did. Only her and her boss know why she is no longer there, so just be happy we have a replacement. Its reality you disobey your boss or don't get along with your boss you will loose your job i don't care if its government or in banking. that is the fact of life.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Jachoz(m): 1:38pm On Aug 04, 2006
Odeku:

,,, Its reality you disobey your boss or don't get along with your boss you will loose your job i don't care if its government or in banking. that is the fact of life.

NG disobeyed her Boss and lost her job 

It is also the fact of life that somebody could
seat on the ground and tell a pregnant kite 
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by detder(f): 2:24pm On Aug 04, 2006
hi fellow, what i think is happenign is dat, her service is not really needed. so she decided to resign honourably to face her home front needs. well, i believe she made d right descion. now, her family most especially her husband will now have FULL ATTENTION from her.

i wish her good luck!!!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by OBJ3(m): 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2006
ono
you will hear from ribadu soon.

idiot angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 2:53pm On Aug 04, 2006
Ribadu has nothing to do with this nonsence. abeg
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by OBJ3(m): 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2006
ono abused me. he should be locked up. ribadu can tie him to fraud. and get him locked up. period.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 3:23pm On Aug 04, 2006
Dis okonjo -iweala woman is powerful, ohh!!! can u imagine even out of office she is making grown up ppl like o-b-j and ono squabble inconsequentially,
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 4:13pm On Aug 04, 2006
Didn't I say it? wink

oya now, read for yourselves: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=54887
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 04, 2006
how petty and stupid can the president get?

Now he has lost his best hand! What is Nenadi Usman's pedigree besides being Okonjo's assistant for 3 yrs? What does she know about the finance ministry? I am sorry to say this as it may not augur well with the northern members of this forum but the truth is, Nigeria's regression for the last 40yrs must be laid squarely on the doorsteps of the north and federal character. It is on that basis that we have the likes of Nenadi now parading themselves as finance ministers. Look at all ministries headed by northerners, from sports to water resources, everything is a complete disaster. See how one man's show of shame at the NFA caused us so much untold hardship.

I do not state that southerners have faired better, in truth they have also failed miserably but the fact is without the north we would never have had illiterates like obasanjo in power!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 4:46pm On Aug 04, 2006
Achievements

Okonjo Iweala would ever be remembered for the debt relief she secured for Nigeria. She used her relationship with the shakers and movers of international finance to win their support for debt relief for Nigeria. Negotiating with the creditors was more like being among her peers. Even the approval of the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS) as the Programme Support Instrument (PSI) by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) was unprecedented. No other nation had received debt relief without an IMF programme.
Under her administration, Nigeria which did not qualify to enjoy the assistance of the World Bank under the Highly Indebted Poor Country (HIPC) initiative was considered to enjoy other windows of concessionary facilities and grants.

High foreign reserve has consistently characterized the nation's macro economy while she was Minister. The last stock, before she left was about $34 billion. Equally, her insistence on saving for the rainy day has yielded fruits as about $25 billion has been saved in the excess crude oil account, as at end of the first half of the year.

The macro-economy has been largely stable with increased foreign exchange inflow which has helped to stabilize the exchange rate of the naira, and even record a marginal firming up of the Naira, against the dollar, at the foreign exchange market.

Okonjo-Iweala Vs Nenadi Usman

They two could be said to have had a cordial working relationship throughout the period, July 2003 to June 21, when Okonjo-Iweala was redeployed. On several occasions, Mrs. Usman simply declined elaborate comments, after Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, had spoken at functions, preferring rather to remain more at the background. She used every opportunity to declare that Okonjo-Iweala was her boss. But one thing she could not hide was that she was learning the ropes of macro economic management fast, may be faster than anyone could have imagined. Responding to journalists questions, soon after her appointment as Minister of Finance, Mrs. Usman said she had no reason, whatsoever, to alter the decisions earlier announced by Dr. Okonjko-Iweala, on various macro- economic policy issues, as according to her, we took the decisions together.

ALL RISE FOR THIS ICON. wink wink

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by otokx(m): 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2006
I doubt if Nenadi Usman lent anything; she is just a pawn in this political chess game to placate the north for a while.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by saintchux(m): 5:10pm On Aug 04, 2006
sad sad sad sad sad sad

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 5:38pm On Aug 04, 2006
I dont believe a nenadi usman can command as much respect from the imf and world bank the same way iweala did. if u read todays thisday caption on iwealas resignation you would even realise that usman is already having a battle in her hands, why? a meeting scheduled by imf for economic ministers havent even accorded her invitation yet because they still believe that iweala is in charge
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 5:56pm On Aug 04, 2006
i think the only way to find out if she had learnt anything is to wait and see wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by OBJ3(m): 6:25pm On Aug 04, 2006
not only wait and see, pray for her too.

angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by m4malik(m): 7:54pm On Aug 04, 2006
About time she resigned and threw the dirt in their face. Greedy boot-lickers will try to remain by force or whims and ruin their name in the mud of what has become of Nigeria's politics. I saw it coming anyway, but good to know she didn't take their rubbish - she's got a name that's still respected outside.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by OBJ3(m): 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2006
it's on ur face that the dirt is thrown

idiot angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by idiotsoul: 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2006
Usuman is OBJs toilet tissue. OBj cannot shake a notable woman like okonjo iwela, Her prerogatives are far more better than rulling nigeria
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by OBJ3(m): 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2006
look mr idiotsuen,

your name is already idiot but i'll give you a surname fool.

you are mr idiotsuen fool

idiot angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by kimba(m): 6:55am On Aug 05, 2006
Its a shame, its a pity that we have to let Dr. Okonjo go. But with the kind of country we have where the good people are hated, and the area boys are king, the situation is not too surprising. One would have been wondering how she even survived there for 3yrs.

Welcome to the new Mrs. Usman. And as usual, I believe her first major duties will be to find faults in the procedures and process flow of everything and everybody involved in and leading to Nigerias release International Debt club, abi
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 9:11am On Aug 05, 2006
O-B-J:

look mr idiotsuen,

your name is already idiot but i'll give you a surname fool.

you are mr idiotsuen fool

idiot angry

oga easy now, we are not suppose to be fighting ourselves concernig this issue rather we should unit to flush out those good for nothing "old shools" RULING us. please i beg of you. wink wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Nia: 9:15am On Aug 05, 2006
It is unfortunate that Naija lost this woman.  A talented and beneficial addition that could have changed the country even more than she already has. There is something seriously wrong here. In 2006, these are the type of people we should be encouraging to help make changes in that country. I was looking forward to this woman doing more for naija. There is nothing worse than wasted talent, especially when it is much needed.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by aleroaruya(f): 10:41am On Aug 05, 2006
as i've said before, wat we need in nigeria is a revolution, a bloody one 4 dat mata! angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by obaf(m): 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2006
From what i saw in the paper last week,when she was removed as minister of Finance,it was said Obasanjo didn't give her fair hearing to explain what happened during the negotiation of Debt relief,that she collected some commission on the debt relief which Obasanjo just got to know about and moved her to Foreign Ministry.
notwithstanding she's still the best we have around,better than all those 60-70 ministers we have around that are just using Nigeria oil money to build estate and fight for another political office at their age,not quitting for their kids and younger generation.
Atleast This same Obasanjo rejected the report that indicted Bode Goerge,Tony Anenih and other,just because he needs them in PDP,he rejected the reports.
He knew about the problems Adedibu is causing in Oyo state ,all he can say is "Adedibu is a force to reckon with".He "obasanjo" even gave him mopols to guard him from abuja to come and distrupt the Oyo government office then,so such a man can always wrong,i dont expect anything good from him
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by uzomaeze(m): 2:44pm On Aug 05, 2006
nigerians and foreigners on this platform we have all spoken well, i don't know that woman but she is wise and she did the best option lets remind ourselves that we have foolish people in this country doing foolish things and we must all pray hard may God help us all , I beg Ribadu and Co. learn from her, the Woman has done well as for The new finance minister please don't allow your name to be tamed and put to the mud
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 3:27pm On Aug 05, 2006
FRESH facts emerged yesterday on why the former Foreign Affairs Minister, Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala quit the cabinet of President Olusegun Obasanjo less than two months after her redeployment to the Finance Ministry

A competent source close to the former minister and head of the Administration's Economic Team last night said Mrs. Okonjo-iweala was tired of the political intrigues in the presidency following her rising profile after the debt relief successfully negotiated for the country.

According to the source, "her resignation was as a result of combination of factors. The political intrigues in the presidency in recent times had become unbearable for her. There were fears that she might venture into politics because of pressure from certain quarters that she should give presidency a shot in 2007 and many politicians have been feeling jittery about it and they are very desperate. So, they did everything to make the cabinet uncomfortable for her. They did not want to take chances at all."

Asked if the former vice president of the World Bank has a political ambition, the source said: "The truth is that she has not told anybody that she would venture into politics. But you can never tell. For a black woman to become a vice president of the World Bank needs more than technical competence; it has to do with a little of politics. And if you see the rate at which people have been putting pressure on her to contest in 2007, you will not rule out anything."

The sources cited the trip of the former minister to Delta State two weeks ago during which many declared openly that she should go into politics. But the minister, according to the source, has not told anybody that she would succumb to pressure.

The source continued: "Besides, you can not rule out the effects of the recent event. Naturally she had no problems with the fact that she was removed as the head of the economic team. But the timing was wrong. How would you explain this: She was in London to negotiate a debt relief for Nigeria only to be told by the foreign media that she had been removed from the office. But she is a woman who loves the country and would still want all she laboured for to last."

I think we have not heard the last concerning this issue yet wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by tianshie(m): 8:13pm On Aug 05, 2006
Obj's a vindictive sadist.Nigerians rejected his third term bid and now he's throwing everybody out.Right now he cares more what happens in otta than what happens at Aso rock.
Okonjo did brilliant.But I wouldn't want her in politics, especially the Nigerian kind.

@idiotsuen
funny name.I like it though. grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by eunisam: 11:57pm On Aug 05, 2006
[YES I LIKE THE RESIGNATION OF THAT WOMAN,
i just want her come come and contest for 2007 presidential race. she has every quolity to govern this country.she is a woman of respect.color=#770077][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. / Would Chris Ngige Be A Masterstroke??? / Lagos-ibadan Expressway Reconstruction To Be Completed In 24-30 Months-fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.