Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,217 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned (6751 Views)

Poll: Okonjo Iweala's resignation. Good or Bad?

She resigned to save her name: 38% (52 votes)
She was a victim of high politicking: 28% (39 votes)
She was just frustrated out: 29% (40 votes)
It's the anti Atiku phenomenon.: 3% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Okonjo Iweala Has Been Asked To Step Down / Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has 90 Million Naira Monthly Security Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 8:50pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ my2cents

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Has it worked for u so far? I'm seriously thinking of adopting that one!  undecided
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Eurphoria(f): 8:51pm On Aug 03, 2006
I will say it again, i agree with you Davidlyn

I still say Nigeria is doomed, really i am hating my people big time , or should i say i feel sorry for my people, because we bring alot of this on ourselves, ''ourselves''

Who is talking about we don't know if she is a saint or not, come on nobody actually knows the ins and outs of government and what they get up to, but we can exercise common sense and come to view point  based on what we see.

My god i know this sounds wrong but i feel that country either needs a revolution(war) or a division, fuk all this united we stand bollocks, OBJ is an old ignorant figure head. I really don't know the solution but that country is doomed, shortly Nigerians who boast of this so called oil and being the giant of Africa would go begging at the gates of the likes of Ghana and others.

The sickness in the Nigerian society is so ingrained, so much in the Psyche that even today the young like myself are displaying attitudes i found revolting in our parents . There will never be change,never, it hurts me bad now thinking about it but hey! what's meant to be will be as they say.

I just wish the politicans and future leaders don't go parading themselves on the world stage like they some big deal, when we know we are being laughed at. I always switch off when i see OBJ and his cronies on UK TV, cant bare to look at him or even listen to the waste of space. Jehovah look at the people coming out of their holes to do some more looting, if we did not let alot of things go without action we won't have Buhari and IBB even contemplating standing or even say the word election. What a cheek , i hope they and their families reap everything they sow and for every child that goes with out in that country, i hope they never enjoy anything they looted.

Too many onlookers, too many looters, too many cooks, too many know- it- alls.

She should leave and count her blessings she has not been killed, if it is meant to be then sometime she may come back,
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2006
Remember she was displaced of her position after OBJ came back from visiting the slain Williams family, I just wish OBJ gave a public explanation for his action, and as for IBB case, my HERO FELA said once when trouble sleep yanga go wake am, Pa-lava he go get, make IBB come back, this might be the retribution and time for justice, look at Charles Taylor.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2006
buchio:

My take on it, and i could b totally wrong, is that she resigned based on principle - she was brought in to salvage naija's financial situation then she found herself moved to another, unrelated ministry.

*Generally speaking*, I bet most Nigerians would be thanking God that though they have been moved around, at least they still hv the opportunity to chop from the govt largesse. My gut tells me she resigned to show her anger at biting the hand that fed the country, so to speak.

I mean, personally, if I were given the opportunity to serve in a post there, if I were moved around like that, I would resign too. I would at least be honest enough to tell my oga that I am not capable of running the show at my new posting (yeah, go ahead and laugh, but there are still some honest ones amongst us out there grin)
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2006
My take on it, and i could b totally wrong, is that she resigned based on principle - she was brought in to salvage naija's financial situation then she found herself moved to another, unrelated ministry.

There definitely must have been a clash of interests somewhere.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by kitaun(m): 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2006
Have you guys heard of the film called 'USE AND DUMP '  grin grin grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2006
so far, so good alarinjo.

As I always say, I have a family now and can't afford to take the risks that I used to as a single guy. Don't get me wrong, I live my peeps to death, but whenever I visit, I can't help but be like a cat - sleep with one eye open and ears constantly moving around. If pple in Naija can go through what some have told me, then who am I? wink

As I have been telling folks, I personally will make my next move after the 2007 elections. Too many things are happening too quickly of late. For all I know, it could be well. But y tempt fate?
(scratching head)
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 8:59pm On Aug 03, 2006
on the contrary Nigeria is not doomed and will never be doomed. Yes there are the ups and downs within the polity basically due to lack of visionary leadership but we are on the path to a greater nation. Most countries go through there own upheavals but it takes special ones to recover from such, Nigeria is a special case and will overcome.

over time history has shown us situations where we thought that chaos n strife will reign but we overcome it by Gods grace. I see a bright future devoid of sentiments and ethnicity as sometimes even seen on this forum. Doubt it not Nigeria is on the path to greatness
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 9:00pm On Aug 03, 2006
Please have you seen the kind of power this people command in Nigeria, position comes with power in Nigeria, and that is why people find it hard to resign.  I wish Fela is still here with us, everything we seeing in Nigeria now, fela warn us about it years back.  and remember it was during OBJ regime Fela mother was killed as well the unknown soldiers
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Seun(m): 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2006
Months ago, she was removed as finance minister, but remained as head of economic team, so she stayed.

Recently she was removed as head of that economic team, so she resigned. That's what happened.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2006
As I have been telling folks, I personally will make my next move after the 2007 elections.  Too many things are happening too quickly of late.  For all I know, it could be well.  But y tempt fate?

I was actually thinking about after 2007 too, although I miss not going back this year.

Ok, ya'll know how I'm feeling about this whole thing but permit me to play devil's advocate for a minute. Do you think that maybe due to her outstanding achievemnets her ego got in the way, i.e., her head became to big, and OBJ decided to cut her to size

NB: Please dont jump on me, remember, I'm not saying its what I think, just playing devils advocatelipsrsealed
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:07pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ Odeku
Please have you seen the kind of power this people command in Nigeria, position comes with power in Nigeria, and that is why people find it hard to resign. I wish Fela is still here with us, everything we seeing in Nigeria now, fela warn us about it years back. and remember it was during OBJ regime Fela mother was killed as well the unknown soldiers

I feel you on baba 70. Remember in Beast of No Nation Fela said, "egbekegbe na bad society" I guess Iweala didnt want to keep egbekegbe!

Months ago, she was removed as finance minister, but remained as head of economic team, so she stayed.

Recently she was removed as head of that economic team, so she resigned. That's what happened.

Question is, why? Why all this sudden reshuffling near the end of OBJs second term?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 9:08pm On Aug 03, 2006
U c am? Seun has better explained her brief history as a minister.

Maybe, just maybe, she resigned based on principle.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 9:08pm On Aug 03, 2006
Please lets stick to the now and the future and lay less emphasis on the past. atrocities have been committed we all know but there is still a large silver lining in the clouds for us. Compare Nigeria now to what it was during the junta eras, and u will c we have moved significantly.

as for the okonjo-iweala controversy I can say without an atom of doubt that posterity will surely portray her name in gold for her dedication,professionalism e.t.c and guess what who loses at the end of the day from this? is it her who has a choice job still waiting for her abroad or is it Nigeria?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 9:10pm On Aug 03, 2006
One thing I know people in the cabinet donut like about her is that she cries too much . and again maybe she can come back to the state and enjoy her PhD degree.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:12pm On Aug 03, 2006
Please lets stick to the now and the future and lay less emphasis on the past. atrocities have been committed we all know but there is still a large silver lining in the clouds for us. Compare Nigeria now to what it was during the junta eras, and u will c we have moved significantly.

@ Buchio,

I totally feel your line of reasoning, and you are almost giving me a reason to revive my faith in Naija, but the truth is, if we don't pay attention to the past and learn from it, it is bound to replay itself in the future. How long shall we continue to commit the same errors we have been committing for centuries over and over again? Is it a curse?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:14pm On Aug 03, 2006
@ Odeku

One thing I know people in the cabinet donut like about her is that she cries too much

nawa o, and where from dis kin' info?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Oracle(m): 9:15pm On Aug 03, 2006
Itz really good as she resigned coz i strongly believe if she was still on that seat by 2007 then something terrible woulda happened
that woman is a mother

[img]http://www.businessdayonline.com/tpllib/img.php?im=cat_54/6158.jpg&w=210&h=171[/img]
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by IykeD1(m): 9:15pm On Aug 03, 2006
This lays to rest the earlier question whether it was her intention to go to the foreign affairs
ministry or not.

Is Nigeria doomed? People have been saying this for a while now but I will like to believe that
the opposite is the case. Its a case of 4 step forward, 3 step backward. Nigeria is bigger than
any one person, be it Obasanjo or Ngozi. We may not realize the Nigeria of our dreams, but it
will continue to exist, somehow,

The way I see it, its pure raw politics now until Obasanjo leaves office, no restraint of any kind.
His reforms are over, hence he has no more use for the likes of Ngozi. The real question is how
much of his reforms will he undo in the process?

Ngozi has done well for Nigeria and in the process has made a name for herself in the international
circle. She will enjoy this goodwill for a long time to come.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Eurphoria(f): 9:16pm On Aug 03, 2006
so if Fela was still here what then?, yes he was clued up but what can one man do? pls you talk like a babe( as in child)
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:20pm On Aug 03, 2006
Eurphoria,

Was the post to me or Odeku?

In anycase, the only thing Fela could have done is continue to comment on the dirty politics in Nigeria and the world. However, his songs have often inspired mass protests especially amongst the youth. So one man's agitation can spur entire movements.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 03, 2006
Soon soludo will follow suit and we would be back to the sorry mess Ngozi came to help us clear. It is only in Nigeria that idiots are in power and the good are shoved aside. Nenadi Usman was there before Ngozi, what did she achieve for us other than strut around? Now she will take the credit for somethig that was in no way her doiing!

The best our good hands can do now is leave OBJ and his band of mauraders alone, let them ruin Nigeria finally, afterall with Ngozi there they wont be able to steal as much as they wanted to.

What on earth was the National assembly doing when OBJ was making those nonsensical deployments that are no better than a sacking?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 9:25pm On Aug 03, 2006
Eurphoria , do you realize the power of music. you can educate people that cant read or write with your lyrics and that was what Fela did, too bad you never went to any of his concert and see his influence.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2006
So, doing what I normally do, which is take things 1 step further, I came up with an interesting statistic regarding those who are posting to this thread:

Naijans in Naija (NIN): 5, Naijans in diaspora: 10, Naijans who hvnt declared a location in their profile: 3.

So, assuming those who do have location declared in their profile are telling the truth and even accounting for the assumption that those who haven't declared are in Nigeria, the ratio of NINs to non-NINs is still 8:10.

So here is my question(and sorry for changing topics but I figure we could use some fresh air wink): who cares about this resignation the most? NINs or non-NINs grin grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:46pm On Aug 03, 2006
my2cents,

non-nins can clearly afford to sit in front of their computers and participate in a forum like this at our own convenience. NINs on the other had have a lot of hinderances from paying some N100 to spend only one hour online to do like one million things, to no NEPA, to slow internet speed, to spending their time doing better things like looking for the next meal, to actually spending time watching TV or listening to the radio or reading the papers for first hand info on the issue. Also, going with the time difference between naija and the US, for example, most NINs are about getting ready for bed now. I dont think its a fair playing field, and it certainly doesnt give you a true picture about who cares more about the situation. smiley
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by my2cents(m): 9:49pm On Aug 03, 2006
Given all u have said, we shall c tomorrow then, when by the time I get to work, they would have had 6 hours at least to view and respond to this grin While they sleep, we type and while we sleep, they type LOL

Either way, my stats are not scientific. I just like playing with numbers grin
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Odeku(m): 9:52pm On Aug 03, 2006
we all care about the issue, it will affect each and everyone of us one way or the other, i still have families in Nigeria and I want the best for them, i come to Nigeria for Xmas and i want to see a develop Nigeria. Not struggling and suffering.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2006
NINs because non-NINs dont care very much, at least Bush wont be removing condi anytime soon!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by alarinjo(m): 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2006
my2cents,

It still isnt a fair playing field. Never wil be. Not until we catch up technologically and economically in naija. Anywho, since you like "playing" with numbers, maybe you should become the next finance minister  wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 10:02pm On Aug 03, 2006
i believe both parts of the divide care passionately abt d going ons within the country . why else would we all spend time like this discussing? but lets face more serious issues which is" instability of leadership in nigeria" can we be rest assured that the new finance helms woman can carry on as efficiently as her predecessor? or can she command the degree of respect her predecessor had with international finance groups?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by oshkosh(m): 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2006
Sad.

My support for his goverment was based on the active involvement of Okonji and the likes of her. A big minus for the country and an indictment of OBJ's judgement. Whatever the clash of personalities, her role and the confidence instilled in the nations economy was too significant to overlook. To have sent her a notice or redeployment whilst on a critical national assignment like this was petty and disrespectful.

My fear now is that with this action, he may loose the confidence of many other important players in his economic team. Oh well, sad
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by worldowner(m): 10:50pm On Aug 03, 2006
Dem know say she sabi 2 much,sometimes i think somebody like the chinese leaders go do us some good. this people dey steal too but them also dey build railway for thier big cities instead of the molue we get or fidel castro wey make sure say almost everybody de go school

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, And Ahmadu Bello, All Clueless Founding Fathers. / Fuel Subsidy Protest Victim Alive / Stay On Top Of The News... Get The Pdf Of All Newspapers In Nigeria Daily.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.