Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. - Foreign Affairs (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. (62459 Views)

African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 15, 2017
Henry240:

We've all served bans, no worries.

The banned moniker would be inherited by your kid. That would be his first inheritance from you his Papa. grin grin grin

Then you can go hunt for gazelles together.
Dude!!! Lmao grin grin grin

Btw why was Henry120 banned??
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
jln115:

Dude!!! Lmao grin grin grin

Btw why was Henry120 banned??

Lol, i went to fight with it in the politics section. Things got heated up, by the time i knew what was happening, i had been slammed with a 5 years ban. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by MikeCZA: 3:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
Henry240:

The National Defence College in Abuja.

We completely defeated both Tchad and Cameroun. Like i told you, we pushed Tchad almost close to N'Djamena, Cameroun was saved by a UN court decision.
Do you know what is CSIR?

That college is for Training not research.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by gabng(m): 5:14pm On Jul 15, 2017
Nice News

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by tdayof(m): 5:27pm On Jul 15, 2017
gabng:
Nice News
I expect we have some leaked pictures in few days time.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 20, 2017
Iblawi1:

We love giving you surprises.
By that you mean photo of Toys? I ask again who are the suppliers? What Subs are you buying? What Frigate are you buying? What will they be armed with?How much will they cost? When will they be delivered?

Simple question! answer it!!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 20, 2017
officialdayo:

Let me explain . Jln115 has insecurity issues, when those ships arrive, he knows his arguments here on SA navy being better will be flawed.

Remember , the jf17 delivery news is still a shock to him, you want to give him hypertension with this too ni?

Dude? Do you even follow this thread? I fvcking applauded the JF17 purchase and even advocated increasing the number of units.........Secondly not once did I make this a SA vs Nigeria thing, YOU did!!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 20, 2017
Iblawi1:

This is not a debate. Things happen differently here unlike SA that brags about military procurements.

We just wanted you to know Nigeria can start procurement process from bottom to top instead of top to bottom.
I simply stated my opinion, you lost your mind about it and tried to refute my claims by posting about Subs, Frigates and LDPs you don't have or even ordered yet!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 20, 2017
@Covert1 @officialdayo @Odunayaw @patches689 @ActivateKruger

- @Covert1: please enlighten us how a nuclear sub can possibly be more stealthy than a D.E sub?

- @officialdayo: please enlighten us on how NAF is going to attack us with aircraft you don't have?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2017
jln115:

- @Covert1: please enlighten us how a nuclear sub can possibly be more stealthy than a D.E sub?

- @officialdayo: please enlighten us on how NAF is going to attack us with aircraft you don't have?

dude why bother? They were trolling you, have you noticed how whenever there’s an argument new usernames start popping out of ever forckking corner??
Just let it go, that whole Nigeria navy sailing to invade SA is bullshitt and at that point the argument turned into trolling.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 20, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
dude why bother? They were trolling you, have you noticed how whenever there’s an argument new usernames start popping out of ever forckking corner??
Just let it go, that whole Nigeria navy sailing to invade SA is bullshitt and at that point the argument turned into trolling.
Honestly I was just having a bit of fun myself.......but I didn't want to jeopardise the other thread hence I tried to move it here.

But you were right, thought we'd continue our little debate here, but as you said they were only there to troll the other thread!!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Xer0: 9:11pm On Jul 20, 2017
I am a lecturer and a Counselor, that work with soldiers with PTSD.
Is a very sensitive and vital part of the military especially after deployment, i am asking for permission from the (Supreme executive council of military threads on Nairaland) to contribute my little knowledge.
And probably have other nationals to contribute on the way their military handle PTSD.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2017
Xer0:
I am a lecturer and a Counselor, that work with soldiers with PTSD.
Is a very sensitive and vital part of the military especially after deployment, i am asking for permission from the (Supreme executive council of military threads on Nairaland) to contribute my little knowledge.
And probably have other nationals to contribute on the way their military handle PTSD.
People unfortunately don't quite grasp the seriousness of PTSD.........I lost a friends a couple of weeks ago due to PTSD........ He was part of the Royal Army's Air corps and did two tours in Afghanistan the last being 5-6 years ago.....its scary to think he suffered that disease for so long and was able to suppress it without anybody suspecting a thing.....I guess one night he simply couldnt take it anymore!!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Xer0: 10:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
Post traumatic stress disorder, shell shock or combat stress is cause when an individual experience severe trauma or life threatening event, it is a normal thing for the mind and body to be shocked after these events, but when the nervous system becomes stock to the event it becomes PTSD.
The nervous system has two natura ways to respond to stress.

1) Mobilization
2) Immobilization

MOBILIZATION
This occur when a person wants to defend himself or survive a difficult or dangerous situation, the heart beat faster, blood pressure rises and the muscles tighten which results in increase strength and reaction time, once the danger has passed the nervous system, calms the body down lowering the heart beat and blood pressure down, everything becomes normal again.

IMMOBILIZATION
This occur when a person experience too much stress, that even after the danger has passed, the individual is still stock, the nervous system is unable to return to normal, and the individual is unable to move on from the event (This is post traumatic stress disorder)

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Xer0: 10:44pm On Jul 20, 2017
SYMPTOMS OF PTSD
The symptoms of PTSD can start immediately after the event, some days, months or even years after. These symptoms can cause significant problems to a person's social life, relationship, they interfere with a person's ability to have a normal life.
some of the symptoms are
1) INTRUSIVE MEMORY: This includes recurrent unwanted memories of the traumatic event, reliving the event as if it were happening again(flashback), unsettling dreams/nightmares, physically reaction to something that reminds you of the traumatic event
2) AVOIDANCE: This involves trying not to think or talk about the traumatic event, avoiding places, persons, objects or activities that reminds you of the traumatic event
3) NEGATIVE CHANGES IN THINKING AND MOOD: Some symptoms of it are, feeling emotionally numb, detachment from friends and family, difficulty in maintaining close relationship, negative thoughts about the world, people around and even the world, hopelessness about the future, memory problems etc
4) AROUSAL SYMPTOMS: Some symptoms are, having trouble sleeping, easily frighten, having trouble concentrating, aggressive behaviors, always been on guard, self destructive behavior etc.

Next time i am going to share ways we help soldiers recover PTSD

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Xer0: 10:53pm On Jul 20, 2017
jln115:

People unfortunately don't quite grasp the seriousness of PTSD.........I lost a friends a couple of weeks ago due to PTSD........ He was part of the Royal Army's Air corps and did two tours in Afghanistan the last being 5-6 years ago.....its scary to think he suffered that disease for so long and was able to suppress it without anybody suspecting a thing.....I guess one night he simply couldnt take it anymore!!
So for your loss,
ssaengine
Patches689
newafrikaken254
Henry240
jakeporeshenko
nemesis2u
Algerian1
lionel4power
IbnSultaan
ViceAdmiral
gottfried21
ActivateKruger
frumentius
kikuyu1
Fidha254
tdayof
MikeCZA
GreenandGold
Hrmnn
Nok234
LTGEN
SSBN
DEATHMACHINE
bidexiii
Do any of you gentlemen have any contribution on military PTSD ?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Iblawi1: 11:10pm On Jul 20, 2017
jln115:

I simply stated my opinion, you lost your mind about it and tried to refute my claims by posting about Subs, Frigates and LDPs you don't have or even ordered yet!

I don't have information on the procurement of the Navy. You just have to wait for info to reveal itself or you wait for delivery.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 21, 2017
Iblawi1:

I don't have information on the procurement of the Navy. You just have to wait for info to reveal itself or you wait for delivery.
That's exactly what I said!!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 10:45pm On Jul 27, 2017
Iblwai1, I'm writing between straits but I had to reply as u're quite a gentleman. I wouldn't respond to ur friends pettiness. Pls do indulge me as I think u'd agree no one divulges the specifics of his capabilities. Even if I did I won't jeopardize the lives of our NN sailors and crew. His questions are merely regurgitations. Some of the topic is open knowledge, he should look them up.

I did say "some" Radar. Yes, anti-clutter radar exists. And it is possible to detect a submerged vessel's snorkel or periscope in an Area of Direct Military Interest (ADMI).

I'd assume u've made some study on this matter. You can also research on new advancements like Laser Radar which allows for light detection and ranging. Of course integration of assets from air to satellite to sea and even fellow submarines allow for better chances at detection. Some of these assets employ optical, radar or thermal means for detection.

But to explain my parable better a lot of focus is on the training and experience of the crew. Pls note naval warfare is a matter of life and death. Submarines have the advantage of knowing u're there before u may detect it so ship crews are highly trained for detection.

This training makes a lot of difference since detection is by both direct or indirect means. A lot of the focus here is indirect detection. Naval crews train to gain experience and ability to determine the difference between Sea entities and the sounds they generate. Mostly they are trained in specific areas of Radar detection that makes it possible sometimes for a naval officer to be able to tell what class of submerged vessel is been detected.

Yes atmospheric elements can be an interference but not necessarily a hindrance regardless of conditions as ships have endurance and can tarry for the kill. The Sea contains other marine life and the presence of a submerged boat adds to the dynamics that creates internal waves or alters the Sea balance and structure which generates chain reactions on the Sea Surface picked up by Radar etc for split evaluation and determination of what's possibly out there. It is a complex system but much is about the type of response or echo received to sound projected.

Beyond this are many other factors but that would be writing a paper. Technology would always evolve for detection as well for evasion. Already non-steel submarines are been designed as are Radars for visual or direct detection. We can always tete-a-tete going forward. Thank you.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 11:33pm On Jul 27, 2017
jln115:

A Nuclear Submarine can stay submerged for months, yours cant! They are Conventional submarines which lack Air Independent Propulsion and must snort for a minimum of 2hrs within a 24hr period. During that process one of its pipes snorts to recharge it's batteries and the other pipe emits gas which releases heat. That is a huge disadvantage as you are prey for a searching Armada. This is as simple as can be understood.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
somebody plz remind the concerned person that the topic in question was can a ship borne radar detect a submarine periscope in high seas

i said no and he said yes countering my no

so the onus lies on him to prove it with facts based on laws of physics .

how hard is that , it is easier than writing whatever he wrote

god help the submariners and the ASW crew grin

that is why Russians Americans Chinese hell everybody goes around sniffing out the acoustic signature of the various prowling submarines wherever and whenever possible so that it can be added to the threat library of the onboard sonar system so that it can be matched with the ships/sub detected sonar echo readings for positive ID as to the type of submarine that has been detected .

i guess the above navies have nothing better to do grin

but what do i know

anyways i am out of this

everybody is free to believe whatever that rocks their boat.

science is always exact and to the point based on proven facts, it knows no pretty words otherwise it simply becomes literature lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 12:04am On Jul 28, 2017
nemesis2u:
somebody plz remind the concerned person that the topic in question was can a ship borne radar detect a submarine periscope in high seas

i said no and he said yes to my no

so the onus lies on him to prove it with facts based on laws of physics .

how hard is that , it is easier than writing whatever he wrote

god help the submariners and the ASW crew grin

that is why Russians Americans Chinese hell everybody goes around sniffing out the acoustic signature of the various prowling submarines wherever and whenever possible so that it can be added to the threat library of the onboard sonar system so that it can be matched with the ships/sub detected sonar echo readings for positive ID as to the type of submarine that has been detected .

i guess the above navies have nothing better to do grin

but what do i know

anyways i am out of this

This is a known. Nothing new here. These states u mentioned map underwater lanes to know submarine movements and not only for the acoustic signature purposes you mentioned. That's more for military intelligence on a day of survival or death.

Those states you mentioned are also at the forefront of sniffing technology because in a real threat scenario that's what counts. Why avoid that? You think attack submarines that are fast gives u chance to check ur library.

That library is for the brain of their sailors so at detection in a split second they are able to tell what exactly they are dealing with.

That's not literature. It's called Naval Science.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by MikeCZA: 5:04am On Jul 28, 2017
Covert1:

A Nuclear Submarine can stay submerged for months, yours cant! They are Conventional submarines which lack Air Independent Propulsion and must snort for a minimum of 2hrs within a 24hr period. During that process one of its pipes snorts to recharge it's batteries and the other pipe emits gas which releases heat. That is a huge disadvantage as you are prey for a searching Armada. This is as simple as can be understood.
Citations please!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by overhypedsteve(m): 8:16am On Jul 28, 2017
Henry240:
Let me leave this here.

It is now very clear that a brand new Gripen C/D is only as good a Second hand F-16 block 40. grin grin grin grin

This would be really good.
what business do you have discussing which is better between the two, when your country can't even boast of any of these platforms talk about someone being hopelessly pathetic.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by overhypedsteve(m): 8:18am On Jul 28, 2017
Covert1:

and the foolishness continues, you have no hope, plan or budget to buy even a coal powered submarine and here you are, here you are ranting nonsensical bullshit about those that have one.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 28, 2017
overhypedsteve:
what business do you have discussing which is better between the two, when your country can't even boast of any of these platforms talk about someone being hopelessly pathetic.

You cannot claim to be mentally stable.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by tdayof(m): 8:30am On Jul 28, 2017
overhypedsteve:
and the foolishness continues, you have no hope, plan or budget to buy even a coal powered submarine and here you are, here you are ranting nonsensical bullshit about those that have one.

When talking about hope, plan etc. You should know they're different from decision.

NN has plans to field submarine and you can see that in the CNS speech last week.

Decision: no decision has been made or made public yet.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 28, 2017
nemesis2u:

I saw what you did there wink

Word of advice, not worthwhile debating with nairaland's own "military researcher" and his various monikers.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 28, 2017
Covert1:

Read and comprehend my post.....you said a nuclear submarine is more stealthy than a D.E sub.....I asked you how......you replay about how long it can stay submerged??

Oh and just FYI if it was easy to find a D.E sub......how come SAS Manthatisi sunk an entire NATO fleet during an exercise??
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 10:03am On Jul 28, 2017
overhypedsteve:

Apparently English comprehension lessons are needed on Nairaland as faceless foolishness doth abound. And you sound pained or disappointed or both finding out the truth state of your Navy's incapacity especially that ur 'exalted' submarines can't save u.

But save the tears NN actually has PLANS for Submarines. You will see it with ur eyes, Relax! We ain't invading you just yet.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 10:44am On Jul 28, 2017
jln115:

Read and comprehend my post.....you said a nuclear submarine is more stealthy than a D.E sub.....I asked you how......you replay about how long it can stay submerged??

Oh and just FYI if it was easy to find a D.E sub......how come SAS Manthatisi sunk an entire NATO fleet during an exercise??

I don't recall saying anything about stealthy other than the advantages of Nuclear over Conventional subs. You may have read that meaning into my statement.

No doubt even diesel electric subs can be stealthy especially the newer ones being built like the Swedish Gotland class with AIP or even the newer A26. Yours is the heroine class which is good but not as stealthy. A lot of the stealth we speak of is attributed to it's quietness which is negated by it's need to Snorkel.

Yes, one wouldn't know exactly when within that 24hr period it would need recharge but it must and that's hardly stealth. You must realize in war that zone becomes an Area of Direct Military Interest (ADMI). There is not much room for maneuver. This is the point.

jin115 bottom line is your subs are only good for littoral defence. The Nuke subs have far greater advantage for high sea covert operations. And the exercise with NATO remains what it is an exercise, I want to be confident u don't think that would be the case in a real engagement.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
Covert1:

I don't recall saying anything about stealthy other than the advantages of Nuclear over Conventional subs. You may have read that meaning into my statement.

No doubt even diesel electric subs can be stealthy especially the newer ones being built like the Swedish Gotland class with AIP or even the newer A26. Yours is the heroine class which is good but not as stealthy. A lot of the stealth we speak of is attributed to it's quietness which is negated by it's need to Snorkel.

Yes, one wouldn't know exactly when within that 24hr period it would need recharge but it must and that's hardly stealth. You must realize in war that zone becomes an Area of Direct Military Interest (ADMI). There is not much room for maneuver. This is the point.

jin115 bottom line is your subs are only good for littoral defence. The Nuke subs have far greater advantage for high sea covert operations. And the exercise with NATO remains what it is an exercise, I want to be confident u don't think that would be the case in a real engagement.

- it was either you or the other guy I mentioned, regardless endurance is literally the only advantage a nuclear submarine has over a d.e sub.

-AIP has nothing to do with stealth, it simply improves indurance, both Gotland and heroine use the same engines and are more or less the same length have almost same displacement.....it would be ignorant to assume one could possibly be more stealthy than the other. Also it only has to snorkel every couple of days, thus you would need sheer luck to even be within several hundred kilometres when it does snorkel.

- heroine class sub only has to snorkel every couple of days NOT for 2 hours every 24hours.

- yes that's why we bought them.....only superpowers have the means to project ample amount of equipment and troops to even consider building nuclear subs....our subs were bought for defensive purposes.

-So what you are telling me is that defence forces around the world train for fun and not for actual real life scenarios??

Why not use your original moniker Agugaust?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Socialite 'Ginimbi' Bought Casket A Week Before His Death (photos) / Stuart Varney: Zelensky Is A Puppet Not A Hero. Fake News Coming From Ukraine / Countries With The Biggest Debts In The World (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.