Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. - Foreign Affairs (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. (62414 Views)

African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 11:20am On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

Fake News.
These photos also fake?

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 11:29am On May 12, 2018
jln115:

These photos also fake?

Yes.

Training a unit to familiarize with an equipment you sold to them to be used in the north-east is not same thing as doing the fighting a credit which your own Barlow gave to the brave and gallant Nigerian unit who did the fighting.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

You see why I don't come here cos instead of informed debate we have soundbites running amok. Certainly you didn't understand.

The point is the Fuehrer Adolf Hitler had original designs on Russia not the West. He responded to the West because they stood against his expansionist ambition in Europe.

And no Russia had no adequate defense industry at the start of Operation Barbarossa. In fact it was the allies that were supplying Russia weapons and equipment though little because of the logistics involved for delivery to hold the defensive lines in Moscow. Besides Stalin is on record at the time to have believed all the assurances of Hitler that he won't attack Russia hence was surprised at the scale of the invasion and was ill prepared. That's the history. Go and read so I don't waste valuable time.

Russia won the war majorly because of the factors I've given. Military historians concur.
Why the fvck are we still arguing about Russia? My point still stands If Germany didn't invade Russia they would've conquered Europe!

Anyway at the start of Operation Barbarossa Germany in fact had no Tanks that could even rival the T34....and you want to tell me they didn't have an adequate defense industry?
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

Yes.

Training a unit to familiarize with an equipment you sold to them to be used in the north-east is not same thing as doing the fighting a credit which your own Barlow gave to the brave and gallant Nigerian unit who did the fighting.
Barlow was not involved in any sale of vehicles o Nigeria he was there to train your soldiers as confirmed by your own military!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 1:45pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

Like I said you like to dream. Nothing stops you from deluding yourself on the pages of nairaland with hyperbolic concoctions.

You can't re-write history. Here is what happened: South Africa was defeated in Angola, got beaten blue-black in Bangui and fled to the airport under French protection and whilst their were some units operating with UN forces in offensive operations in the DRC the South African peacekeepers were generally under the protection of a Tanzanian force.

This fvcking guy

1. Angola: South Africa never lost a battle, and acheived its strategic objectives: the prevention of large-scale terrorist incursions into Namibia, a buffer between Luanda and Namibia as well the the complete withdrawal of Cuban troops.

2. Bnagui: The enemy offered a cease fire and all mission objectives were met. How is that defeat?

3. The SANDF is the single largest contriubtor to the UN FIB, your "protection" allegations are your usual nonsense, kicked up to muddy the waters.

Covert1:

Comparing Saddam's Iraqi Army to NATO is insanity in broad day light. Check yourself pls.

Yes, it is insantiy comparing experience to equipment and training. Much like comparing your military to ours.

Covert1:

About M23 and boko haram, it is laughable but insulting your characterization. The MEND the Nigerian Army dealt with in the Niger-Delta was even more deadly than M23. MEND and M23 combined comes nothing close to boko haram that operates based on an ideology to die for God. When rebels in the DRC start strapping 6 year old girls with bombs and attacking UN positions on a suicidal mission something non-existent in your DRC peacekeeping mission then you can come and talk to me.

MEND had no heavy weapons, was not a co-ordinated military force and, in any normal country, would have been dealt with by police. The only reason they got so big in the first place is sheer incompetance - exactly like Boko Haram

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 1:46pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

The SANDF today has nothing on the present capacity and capabilities of Nigeria's Armed Forces. As we speak we have all of your territory covered and already know the windows of every one of your leadership and strategic assets to hit with precision strikes if the need arises to deploy.

Lol this guy.

Ok, tell us how nigeria would "strike" RSA.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 1:54pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

You can't re-write history. Here is what happened: South Africa was defeated in Angola, got beaten blue-black in Bangui and fled to the airport under French protection and whilst their were some units operating with UN forces in offensive operations in the DRC the South African peacekeepers were generally under the protection of a Tanzanian force.

Since we are talking military history lets talk about Nigeria's glorious history:

Sierra Leone/Liberia:
- completely unable to defeat rag tag militia armed with light weapons
- got pushed back on multiple occasions
- had to rely on local militia to do their fighting for them
- spent more time looting and pillaging than actually acomplishing anything.

After 10 years of Nigerian involvement, the USMC had to come in and stabilized the country in 3 months.

Boko Haram:
- unable to defeat rag tag militia armed with light weapons
- run away so frequently and so constantly that you lose all your weapons to Boko Haram
- boko haram is now a rat tag militia armed with heavy weapons, including Vickers MBT, T55 MBT, MT-LB's, Spartan MRAP's, D-30 feild guns, Shilka's and the like

After 4 years of Nigerian involvement in the N.E, Chad had to come in and stabilize the region in 3 weeks.

Wow - I see a trend!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 5:51pm On May 12, 2018
jln115:

Why the fvck are we still arguing about Russia? My point still stands If Germany didn't invade Russia they would've conquered Europe!

Anyway at the start of Operation Barbarossa Germany in fact had no Tanks that could even rival the T34....and you want to tell me they didn't have an adequate defense industry?

Well Germany did conquer Europe and did invade Russia in a war Hitler (must be specific hitler) believed he'd win due to his Wonder Weapons and blitzkrieg doctrine of war.

Well he didn't cos of the reasons I've adduced.

You must have read the wrong history book.

Go and read again and you need time to understand it before you come back to me.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 6:05pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

Since we are talking military history lets talk about Nigeria's glorious history:

Sierra Leone/Liberia:

After 10 years of Nigerian involvement, the USMC had to come in and stabilized the country in 3 months.

Boko Haram:
- run away so frequently and so constantly that you lose all your weapons to Boko Haram
- boko haram is now a rat tag militia armed with heavy weapons, including Vickers MBT, T55 MBT, MT-LB's, Spartan MRAP's, D-30 feild guns, Shilka's and the like

After 4 years of Nigerian involvement in the N.E, Chad had to come in and stabilize the region in 3 weeks.

Wow - I see a trend!

How come Chad stabilized the region yet ended up under the command HQ in the heart of their own capital N'djamena of a Nigerian Combat General Leo Irabor in the MNJTF stabilizing the same region. An irony thanks to the fantasy of a kid called Patch on Nairaland.

The history of all the junk you put up there are well chronicled and a million spins will change it.

The Nigerian Military and it's ECOWAS partners through direct military interventions and military diplomacy brought peace and democracy to Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Guinea Bissau, The Gambia, São Tomé and Principe, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali. And where would I stop is it The Congo, Biafra, Somalia, Chad, Togo, The Bakassi Peninsula, The Niger-delta, North-East Nigeria & The Lake Chad Islands and the list goes on and on and in all we have never lost a war or diplomatic initiative. Never! It goes our way. Always!

Meanwhile the South African military while making noise at home has fled a war in the Central African Republic, abandoned a peacekeeping mission in the Sudan because it's soldiers were awed and shocked at the prospect of combat with terrorist militias, it's under UN protection in the DRC under the guise of peacekeeping (still not out of that one cos the killings goes on unabated), managed to import the Chinese Communist model of power transfer in Zimbabwe in a brazen day light coup because it lacked the military capability and wherewithal to install democracy next door, has left all SADC countries drifting with different forms of totalitarianism and the list goes on.

Just shut your trap Patch elders are talking.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:19pm On May 12, 2018
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:24pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

MEND had no heavy weapons, was not a co-ordinated military force and, in any normal country, would have been dealt with by police. The only reason they got so big in the first place is sheer incompetance - exactly like Boko Haram

This is bullshit!
You've seen the geography of the Niger Delta? Come back when you understand it. Even the SAS had to be utilized in similar conflict elsewhere
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 6:27pm On May 12, 2018
jln115:

Barlow was not involved in any sale of vehicles o Nigeria he was there to train your soldiers as confirmed by your own military!

Dude be specific in your language. Don't couch it and try to make it what it's not. Training is a general word. Training could be for making SA pap or whatnot but in this case it was for technical use and application of SA made equipment. That's a verified fact.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:29pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

[s]How come Chad stabilized the region yet ended up under the command HQ in the heart of their own capital N'djamena of a Nigerian Combat General Leo Irabor in the MNJTF stabilizing the same region. An irony thanks to the fantasy of a kid called Patch on Nairaland.

The history of all the junk you put up there are well chronicled and a million spins will change it.

The Nigerian Military and it's ECOWAS partners through direct military interventions and military diplomacy brought peace and democracy to Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Guinea Bissau, The Gambia, São Tomé and Principe, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali. And where would I stop is it The Congo, Biafra, Somalia, Chad, Togo, The Bakassi Peninsula, The Niger-delta, North-East Nigeria & The Lake Chad Islands and the list goes on and on and in all we have never lost a war. Never!

Meanwhile the South African military while making noise at home has fled a war in the Central African Republic, abandoned a peacekeeping mission in the Sudan because it's soldiers were awed and shocked at the prospect of combat with terrorist militias, his under UN protection in the DRC under the guise of peacekeeping (still not out of that one cos the killings goes on unabated), managed to import the Chinese Communist model of power transfer in Zimbabwe in a brazen day light coup because it lacked the military capability and wherewithal to install democracy next door, has left all SADC countries drifting with different forms of totalitarianism and the list goes on.

Just shut your trap Patch elders are talking.[/s]

"Shut your trap, the adults are talking"

Oh, Augustine... the fact that you use my line tells me it left an impression on you when I used it.

You spew paragraph after paragraph of nonsense.

Fact is that South Africa fought the biggest and most complex war in Africa - and its veterans now form the leadership of the SANDF. Meanwhile Nigeria doesnt even have an air-to-air kill... The SANDF fought one of the hardest battles Africa has seen in Bangui - real Siege of Jadotville stuff - a battle that left the people of C.A.R so impressed they built a statute honoring the SANDF in their capital - and asked us to send their our training mission back!

What is Nigeria's accomplishments? Getting saved by the British Army in Sierra Leone and the USMC in Liberia! Getting saved by South African mercenaries and Chadian foot-soliders in your own country!

Augustine, this is all you have - this is all you want. Just empty, meaningless drivel and insults. No actual analysis or honesty - you actually said Nigeria has the capacity to strike RSA! What a god-awful waste of time.

PS: We arent under the protection of MONUSCO - we are leading it cool

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:30pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

Sierra Leone/Liberia:

Boko Haram:

Wow - I see a trend!

Look here! You're becoming exactly like the other guy peddling false realities.

And stop the one sided nonsense "We never lost a battle" already
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:31pm On May 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
This is bullshit!
You've seen the geography of the Niger Delta? Come back when you understand it. Even the SAS had to be utilized in similar conflict elsewhere

Really? They had tanks, artillery and AA guns?

Dude. Come on. They were nothing more than roving gangs of bandits.

And you didnt even defeat them - you paid them to stop.

Come now. Self-criticism and self-reflection are the only way one acheives self-improvement!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:32pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

[s]Dude be specific in your language. Don't couch it and try to make it what it's not. Training is a general word. Training could be for making SA pap or whatnot but in this case it was for technical use and application of SA made equipment. That's a verified fact.[/s]

Training you how to fight.

You want me to post the video of the 72 strike-whatever.

Who operate in the South African style?

Dude. Come on.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:33pm On May 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
Look here! You're becoming exactly like the other guy peddling false realities.

And stop the one sided nonsense "We never lost a battle" already

In the entirety of the war in Angola we did not lose a single battle. This is a simple fact.

See for yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operations_of_the_South_African_Border_War

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:35pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

"Shut your trap, the adults are talking"

Oh, Augustine... the fact that you use my line tells me it left an impression on you when I used it.

You spew paragraph after paragraph of nonsense.

Fact is that South Africa fought the biggest and most complex war in Africa - and its veterans now form the leadership of the SANDF. Meanwhile Nigeria doesnt even have an air-to-air kill... The SANDF fought one of the hardest battles Africa has seen in Bangui - real Siege of Jadotville stuff - a battle that left the people of C.A.R so impressed they built a statute honoring the SANDF in their capital - and asked us to send their our training mission back!

What is Nigeria's accomplishments? Getting saved by the British Army in Sierra Leone and the USMC in Liberia! Getting saved by South African mercenaries and Chadian foot-soliders in your own country!

Except you had coffins while the Irish didn't.

If I am to give exactly the dose of your poison I would say the French saved you in DRC - but that won't be a complete reality will it?

Nawa o
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 6:35pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

Come now. Self-criticism and self-reflection are the only way one acheives self-improvement!

Again self delusion.

Go and read about Tompolo and Camp 5.

These are guys that were already invading nations and blackmailing presidents.

It took a successful military invasion and capture of Camp 5 by Air, Land & Sea to bring them to the table for a wider peace under a federal government plan not the military.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

Well Germany did conquer Europe and did invade Russia in a war Hitler (must be specific hitler) believed he'd win due to his Wonder Weapons and blitzkrieg doctrine of war.

Well he didn't cos of the reasons I've adduced.

You must have read the wrong history book.

Go and read again and you need time to understand it before you come back to me.
Its irrelevant if he believed he could have won or not the point is if he didn't invade Russia he would of won.

Also at the start of operation barbarossa, Germany had nothing to match the t34 that is a fact
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:38pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

They fucckin had AA guns.
Don't gimme shit right now
MEND & LTTE were cut from the same cloth. Better still please give me instances where you country fought in such terrains of the Niger Delta
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:40pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

In the entirety of the war in Angola we did not lose a single battle. This is a simple fact.

See for yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operations_of_the_South_African_Border_War

You forgot the part "one sided"
Don't sweet talk me man, all these history are one sided
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:41pm On May 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
You forgot the part "one sided"
Don't sweet talk me man, all these history are one sided

"It doesnt count, you were too well prepared"

lol, ok then. I guess the German blitz of France and the low-countries doesnt count either
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:42pm On May 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
Except you had coffins while the Irish didn't.

If I am to give exactly the dose of your poison I would say the French saved you in DRC - but that won't be a complete reality will it?

Nawa o

No, it wouldent.

The French stayed in their airport through-out the battle. the rebels themselves offered a cease-fire.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
This is a fib and you damn as well know it!
WTF!
Nigeria used South African mercenaries that's a fact mate!!

Obviously we never sent our SF to fight BH hence I used the word "wanted to"
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:43pm On May 12, 2018
Patchesagain:

"It doesnt count, you were too well prepared"

lol, ok then. I guess the German blitz of France and the low-countries doesnt count either
From the references used to summarize the things on Wikipedia one can easily deduce the one sidedness of it.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:44pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

Again self delusion.

Go and read about Tompolo and Camp 5.

These are guys that were already invading nations and blackmailing presidents.

It took a successful military invasion and capture of Camp 5 by Air, Land & Sea to bring them to the table for a wider peace under a federal government plan not the military.

Ah, yes, the mighty battle for "Camp 5"... so huge that a wopping 5 militants died!
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Patchesagain: 6:47pm On May 12, 2018
Odunayaw:
From the references used to summarize the things on Wikipedia one can easily deduce the one sidedness of it.

You you say that there is vast conspiracy at play? The age-old alliance between the military and liberal academics strikes again!

Dude, I hate to break it to you - but we dont feel the need to construct narratives. Infact, we tend to be hyper-critical... because thats how you learn how to do things better. Just go to Defenceweb and read the tone of the articles and comments, and then compare it to a place like beegeagles blog. South Africans are, generally speaking, critical and skeptical by nature.

The operations, and their successes were widely documented - hundreds of photos of row after row of captured equipment.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Nobody: 6:53pm On May 12, 2018
Covert1:

Dude be specific in your language. Don't couch it and try to make it what it's not. Training is a general word. Training could be for making SA pap or whatnot but in this case it was for technical use and application of SA made equipment. That's a verified fact.
it's funny since Nigeria has a whole array of SAn made vehicle yet you needed mercenaries to teach you how to drive a Reva but never needed training on the other SAn vehicles??
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Odunayaw(m): 6:53pm On May 12, 2018
jln115:

Did I argue about mercs? no

We never "wanted to" use your SF
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 6:55pm On May 12, 2018
jln115:

Its irrelevant if he believed he could have won or not the point is if he didn't invade Russia he would of won.

Also at the start of operation barbarossa, Germany had nothing to match the t34 that is a fact

It's relevant as he wouldn't have invaded Russia which was his main goal if he didn't think he would win.

The Germans quickly came up with an answer for the T-34 and by the end of 1941 the Russians had lost over 2000+ T-34 Tanks.
Re: African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. by Covert1: 6:57pm On May 12, 2018
jln115:

For technical application of it's equipment bought and no SA forces had no capacity for the nature of fighting in the north-east.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) / Zimbabwean Socialite 'Ginimbi' Bought Casket A Week Before His Death (photos) / Stuart Varney: Zelensky Is A Puppet Not A Hero. Fake News Coming From Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.