Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa (25894 Views)

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion / Buhari Bares His Heart About Elections and Democracy / Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2014
patriot4:

Indeed, all i want is to know who you are.
and if you haven't used the email in several years then that info pretty much helps my research.

I doubt that you have a secondary school certificate, let alone an MS, and aspiring towards a PhD degree. No educated person would be asking for the degree of another educated person to be posted on a public forum. I put it to you that you are one village ignoramus presently roasting away in Edo State.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Pasca07:
bro it is a master not an master...although it may be typo error
indeed, typo
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Pasca07:
bro it is a master not an master...although it may be typo error

The boy is a semi-literate person, of course
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 6:35pm On Nov 01, 2014
patriot4:
I think I have got your identity.

And? Actually you can use my identity to buy a car. It is gold. grin grin grin
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 01, 2014
AkinEgba:

I doubt that you have a secondary school certificate, let alone an MS, and aspiring towards a PhD degree. No educated person would be asking for the degree of another educated person to be posted on a public forum. I put it to you that you are one village ignoramus presently roasting away in Edo State.
you can send it to my email adress, you don't need to show your name, just put a paper on wherever your name iis.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2014
AkinEgba:

And? Actually you can use my identity to buy a car. It is gold. grin grin grin
look, dude I like to know who I am talking to.
What most people don't know is that they leave too much traces on the internet and if you follow the traces, you find the identity of the person.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2014
patriot4:

What most people don't know is that they leave too much traces on the internet and if you follow the traces, you find the identity of the person.

Go ahead and find me then. What are you waiting for?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
patriot4:
you can send it to my email adress, you don't need to show your name, just put a paper on wherever your name iis.

Could you send me yours first?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 6:44pm On Nov 01, 2014
patriot4:

You are so fake and shady that you could not even reply to two emails I sent you. This is the type of cheap yahoo yahoo that some of you Nigerians do that give us all a bad name.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2014
AkinEgba:

You are so fake and shady that you could not even reply to two emails I sent you. This is the type of cheap yahoo yahoo that some of you Nigerians do that give us all a bad name.
Your second email said I should add you to my contacts. Your first one was titled "Hi".
Look, I have overspent my time on the internet anyway, I have to go and read.
Take care Nairalanders.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by AkinEgba: 7:01pm On Nov 01, 2014
patriot4:
Your second email said I should add you to my contacts. Your first one was titled "Hi".
Look, I have overspent my time on the internet anyway, I have to go and read.
Take care Nairalanders.

Why though is it difficult for you to reply to those messages? You be proper onye oshi, ole, thief.

You even have rationed internet time. Hahahah! Suffer man coming to claim knowledge on cyberspace
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by black247: 8:14pm On Nov 01, 2014
AkinEgba:

Yes, US Citizenship is not a degree or license. But an average US citizen has better opportunities in this world than an average Nigerian citizen. You are using Dangote as a wrong example as he is not an average Nigerian. In any case, compare Dangote (richest Nigerian) to Bill Gates (richest American), who is greater?

You act as if youre exempt in the process of african development? What is holding you back from developing Nigeria? Cowardliness or Ineptness or are you yourself a benefactor of elite looting? Pick wisely.

And by the way, white (oyibo) men dont have to kill us - they kill Africans by proxy. Boko Haram as a group are worshipping WHITE arab terrorists by practices and misinterpretation of Islamic doctrine. And quite frankly, we should treat them as dangerous mentally ill patients. But, they are worshipping white fanatics, they also don't know their own superior AFRICAN place in the Holy Quran. The same can be said for those of us who were raised to adore WHITE christian doctrine, not even realizing that Jesus is black, an African at that.

Im sure we didnt mind the critique - many of us didnt. It is this romanticizing of a country that brutalized our distant relatives both in England and America that is f.ucking disgusting. Every ounce of what we see now when we go there (in my case visit) is from black American African slaves BLOOD ...and in England - Jamaican slaves, Haitian slaves, slaves from Barbados..the Caribbean BLOOD (sugar plantation)..yet we celebrate these western vultures as though they did it the RIGHT way - as if they didnt kidnap, rape, sodomize men, killed African women, stole land -- as if they built every single thing on their own, as if they are the moral standard? They murdered tons of AFRICANS to get their ultimate foundation - and LOOTED Africa to get their wealth. I am sorry, but as an African, as a Nigerian, as a black man - they are my family. They may hate me now (re: african booty scratcher comment - many of them think we helped sell them)...but they are my family - as ALL black Africans no matter where they are..are my family.

And to make matters worse? The Westerns that you epitomize are currently (not just historically but..) CURRENTLY destabilizing African nations - OUR very OWN NIGERIAN NATION, via proxy. Why do you think that we have corrupt African leaders in the first place? They didnt magically appear! Who put them there? If you think the African people chose to kill Thomas Sankara - you are sadly mistaken. His great name is referenced because of Burkina Fasos current media position.

Finally, look man: I dont mind critiques, I dont mind cultural relativism..but they cant be removed from historical context. And they cant be removed from ownership..if you can talk about how useless we are collectively as Nigerians -- as blacks, dont forget that you too are included in that WE.

Imho, I think that is our point: you are part of the NIGERIANS that you are critiquing. And if you have the wherewithal to analyze, dissect, critique, and articulate a point - as a man to another man, you should use that same mind to develop global African solutions.

I dont want to hear one critique about us unless you have attached a list of solutions: tactics and long term strategies!

One Africa! One Nigeria! One Mighty Black race! Those are my goals. And they are doable ..as long as WE know that THOSE Nigerians we talk bad about is ALL of US!
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by black247: 8:16pm On Nov 01, 2014
ROSSIKE:

But I've not seen you level any criticism against them. All I've seen is you drooling your eternal gratitude to them for presumably saving YOUR butt from poverty. It's instructive how much ''I'' permeates your posts. All you think of is yourself. In that same America, millions of black graduates are denied employment opportunities available to whites. But of course, some white guy helped you in Nigeria, and it's only YOU that matters isn't it? Selfish pig.

I think like you my friend!

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by black247: 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
donroxy:
It is a beautiful posts here. Quite far from political E-thuggery we have on nairaland !!

Spectroscopic made valid points and the fact that you put your pen down to write your discomfort regarding the ills in your society is a welcome development and a contribution to her progress ...The reason why Africa in general and Nigeria in particular get what they get is because ''that's who they are'' .... and such was quite evident in some rebuttals posted by ill-educated folks on this thread except black247 who gave an outstanding rebuttal making the sensible posts in page '0' to be two (2) !

Why wouldn't the government be backward , is the society not backward ? ..... Colonialists left us good government but gradually we bastardised each parameters of government with this darkish brain that is dearth of knowledge and standardisation !!

Africa simply lacks standard, independence and taste ..... Extreme Mental Poverty is the problem of the elites right from the president to the madmen on the street and the only solution they have deplored to solving their problem is to steal it all , the resources of mother earth !!

If there is any continent in the world with so much hatred for themselves , sabotage and denial of good-living .... Africa is it

Until the elites in Africa that are robbing this continent blind sit together, form a formidable force and called it enough ..... Africa will never get emancipated from ''retrogressive development'' and growth !!

''If we can't develop ourselves in time of peace , how will we develop in time of war ..... Could any development occcur in Bokoharam sacked area or where MEND is operating or If MASSOB/OPC should go radical .... If the development doesn't come now when is it gonna be ..... Ever !!! ....

The only edge in Africa is that it is not yet like Arab-Asia/Middle-East war spoilt countries and free from natural disaster such as tsunami but it is quite pathetic that despite no war nor natural disaster , the artificial disaster we inflict on ourselves is beyond the beauty of humanity

Thank you for your comment in regards to me, it came from the heart - so it was rushed with probably loads of grammatical errors. But, I wanted to say that I appreciate your recognition!! See you brother.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2014

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 8:50pm On Nov 01, 2014
i have no words for you,you are a lair ,they do not swear in one person,it is done twice a year and the next set in later in November,so both you and him are big lairs,but anyway not my business,you can lie to yourself if you like but don't try fooling educated minds.

AkinEgba:

So why are you saying that the OP was lying, seeing that different dates can be fixed and that you could even miss a date and get another date? When I did mine, I was virtually the only new citizen in the room. You this ignorant village Nigerian, you should just shut up and remain in your village in Idoma land

3 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 01, 2014

2 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by omongbatim: 11:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
onoja12:
i have no words for you,you are a lair ,they do not swear in one person,it is done twice a year and the next set in later in November,so both you and him are big lairs,but anyway not my business,you can lie to yourself if you like but don't try fooling educated minds.

You are better off shutting your illiterate mouth instead of saying what you have no clue about.Citizenship ceremonies in the US are done as frequently as every month and it is not centralized.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 01, 2014

2 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 11:31pm On Nov 01, 2014
since your father didn't teach you manners,then please go and tell him that i said he has an illiterate mouth beside define the word.as far as i am informed it is two times a year and the next time is during thanks given.and it is not possible for states to administer the oath cause its a federal matter.so only God know where you monthly matter came from

omongbatim:

You are better off shutting your illiterate mouth instead of saying what you have no clue about.Citizenship ceremonies in the US are done as frequently as every month and it is not centralized.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by omongbatim: 12:19am On Nov 02, 2014
onoja12:
since your father didn't teach you manners,then please go and tell him that i said he has an illiterate mouth beside define the word.as far as i am informed it is two times a year and the next time is during thanks given.and it is not possible for states to administer the oath cause its a federal matter.so only God know where you monthly matter came from

You are a village headmaster. Complete mo..ron.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Fulaman198(m): 12:47am On Nov 02, 2014
African culture has nothing to do with why Africans are not realizing their full potential. The Western culture is a very cold-hearted one. A culture that is definitely hard to fit into if you are from a traditional upbringing.

There is nothing you can not get or do in Nigeria that you can get in America. If there is, name it! Our problem is our leadership, definitely not the plethora of talent that we have.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by onoja12: 1:42am On Nov 02, 2014
with your many names,nothing changes same lying person

omongbatim:

You are a village headmaster. Complete mo..ron.

2 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by VolvoS60(m): 2:32am On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:

Actually he didn't say much, except showing that he thinks patriotism is equal to critisism.
He is guilty of the same thing he is accusing people of. He is also intolerent to other people's opinions and he believes his ideas are superior.
That guy is a narcicist. And tell me this: with all the negative press circulating against Nigeria, do you really think that trying to give at least one positive image of the country is wrong ?
When was the last time you heard that cameroon was corrupt ?
Well it is much more corrupt than Nigeria, yet all you hear is that Nigeria is corrupt, so corrupt !
When did anyone tell you that the us military is corrupt ?
Well they are, it is just not broadcasted.
Instead of criticizing and therefor joigning the millions of media bashing against Nigeria, why don't you do something that helps for a change ?
Why don't you open a school in Nigeria ?
Why don't you make a political party ?
Why don't you open a car factory in Nigeria ?

^^^^
It would have been more honorable if you had addressed me directly instead of making oblique references.

It is strange if all you could infer from my post is that I equate criticism with patriotism. Of course its not that simple. But taking constructive criticism (internal or external) well and acting on it IS patriotism in action (this is of course without excluding other factors in the mix). Do you understand now?

According to you, I am intolerant, narcissistic and possess a superiority complex. grin. You also claim I am guilty of the same 'crimes' I accuse others of. grin You will have to explain a little bit further on this.

The rest of your post is plaintive wailing about burnishing Nigeria's image. I am simply not interested in such unproductive ventures. What this country needs is for her people to hold their leaders accountable in GETTING THE SYSTEM TO WORK. When this is done there will be no need for spin doctors and image makers and all that nonsense. The facts will speak for themselves then.

So many 'patriots' are concerned about Nigeria's 'image' but do not want to do the hard work of building institutions and holding their governments accountable. These 'patriots' discourage blunt, frank assessment of our failings and instead promote their evil bigotry of low expectations in both the private and public realm. angry I refuse to buy into that nonsense.

I am not interested in corruption in Cameroon or corruption in the US army. I am interested in corruption in Nigeria and for one reason only: I want it to stop. Full stop.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 4:27am On Nov 02, 2014
VolvoS60 ,

You need to understand that it is not international media bashing of the country which would help its citizens.
Right now the common image of each and every Nigerian who goes abroad is that of a corrupt individual.
Needless to say that foreign investment is far from where it could be if we didn't have such an image.
Changeing the Nation is something we need to do internally with our votes and our unions and our political rallies and political parties, not something we are supposed to be doing by destroying our collective image internationnally.
You don't find it interesting that our neighbor is far more corrupt than we are, yet all the western media does is to say how corrupt we are. Of course they forget their own corruption.
The only news they broadcast about us are negative and you think there is no problem with that !
Try and do research on character assassination.
They are not trying to help us, they are trying to run us down !
They are trying to trigger more bloodshed and to stop foreign investment and to freez the economy entirely.
Imagine if the only news about the us was about its corruption and its racism and its non stopping aggressions of foreign countries and also its depleted federal reserves and it crime rates and its link to several terrorist groups. Imagine that kind of news portray of the us everyday. Then the perception of the us and of americans would be that of being a terrible country and people... That is the kind of treatment we are getting.
I don't need the bbc or cnn to help me in building my nation, I and my people are not babies, we can do it, western and foreign media stop the character assassination of my people and country.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by coded01: 5:12am On Nov 02, 2014
black247:

I am Nigerian. I am Igbo in fact. I agree with everything that you said. But you forgot one important thing:

What should we say about the African men and women that flee to white countries - not because of political unrest..not because of political upheaval (read: Rwanda massacres) but simply because they are merely disappointed with their country leaders - and instead of fighting to rebuild Africa - they shamefully burden other countries infrastructure (like America). What about the Nigerian men and women who are so proud to run to England and America, while the natives of those countries are wondering why you - who come from a country that receives aid, millions in fact, are found cowering in their institutions begging for citizenship.

You will not get respect from the average white American - because firstly: they dont want you there...but also because they still see you as the incapable African, and you prove that with your post, you feel too incapable to fight, fight for transformation but you do like most of us do: simply TALK.

What do the English and American see when they look at you? - you are their black monkey - a black monkey that had to come to their land to get properly civilized. For why do you think the whites view the most successful blacks in America as incompetent - talking not of the poor ghetto ones (we all have those) I am talking about the black lawyers and doctors..why are they viewed as so lowly?

Answer: The ruling class still associate even the former slaves (500 years removed) to their ancestors "PRIMITIVE AFRICA".

I agree we have lots to do, but your full respect as a man will never be realized for you until you come back and join empowering movements - even if you start one yourself.

This ravaged continent that we call mighty Africa is a place that ALL blacks will forever be married to. No one can escape this marriage. If the Haitian, the Afro-Cuban, the black American are still associated with Africa..what do you think your association will be? And whats even worse, they didnt have a choice - you did, and you left running..with no plans to fight. And the irony of it all is that you are RUNNING to the very people that takes pleasure in destabilizing US.

America has had the dirtiest of beginnings. But even still - the men who created your mighty new nation that you are foolishly proud to show your face in - actually built their country, brick by brick - saturated in African blood. And they will NEVER respect any of us that have the good sense to provide a sound analysis but not provide solutions - and yet run to them..those who murdered your cousins, they think we are the foolish of them all. I mentioned to Fula (a cool moderator) the other day, Africans - we dont understand racism, and he (thankfully) knew exactly what I was talking about in my posts.

In everything you said, which I agree with it all - even the part that us Nigerians cant take criticism - you forgot the men and women who leave and burden other infrastructures instead of fighting for our own. I don't wish you harm, nor do I wish you to stay in Nigeria if you are being abused...but I do judge people like you that talk about how poorly we are doing when you havent lifted ONE SINGLE finger to help our mighty nation, our mighty continent ...or even think to even avenge the deaths on our screaming soil.

Nigerians are cultural chauvinists.
We are tribal.
We are petty.
Sometimes we brag too much for our own gain.
We are much too flashy.
We have no good sense to respect the hosts that we burden - xenophobia isnt all their fault at times.
We foolishly talk about the West while being in their countries - with our hands and mouth opened up like birds waiting on bread.

And EVERY thing you mentioned...but we are also cowardly, and I hope that you gain the courage to return home...to build an Africa that you dream we should be. Otherwise, you should hold up a mirror.

I can't remember the last time I read a full script like yours but you are a "PERSPICACIOUS MAN"... wink

I wish we all can stand up & do the needful to make Nigeria & Africa a better place if not the best place in the World... cool

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 5:42am On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:

Look, first of all my cousins are half white, their mother is a white woman and they were born in the usa, they have never been to Nigeria because of their mother ! They don't even have Nigerian citizenship, in that perspective I don't see how you want them to magically serve in the Nigerian military. And as I have said, my uncle is in america with a plan, a business plan : make as much money as possible then come back home and open a hospital and if possible a chain of hospitals !
There is no sentiment in his being in the us, it is just about business, the same way many americans travel to Nigeria to work in the oil sector and make a lot of money !
The truth remains that the average white american has much more opportunities in life than the average black american, right ?
Your uncle loves America and the American dollar more than his country of birth. simple as ABC.
If he loves Nigeria that much, he would be back in the country immediately after his studies like most patriotic Nigerians do. But he stayed back to enjoy the sweat of the white men.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zeongeon: 7:27am On Nov 02, 2014
People saying that one should come back, stay back and bring change to Nigeria and that people abroad are lazy and unpatrotic...Well you forget that before change comes u look at the mindset of the people...The mindset of the people in Nigeria is all about survival people want to eat, pple are suffering and are first considering how to over come that suffering and eat food first before they think about any change...the poverty and suffering is breaking the minds of we Nigerians there by making us weak pshycologically to fight for that change rather we fight just to survive and get three square meals.

The mindset of Nigerians aren't educated we see some things as normal for example cutting corners and disobeying the law...I remember I was in a cab and we where stuck in traffic and u need to see the way pple where insulting driver and shouting that he takes one way...

Some Nigerians hate the truth and would rather suffer and be smiling.

People also forget that we humans seek fulfillment so if pple are in the usa or europe and things are working out for them and they enjoy that place and decide to stay there DON'T BLAME THEM after all pple shouting here calling pple in the usa coward and asking them there contribution to change are talking because in away naija they favour them they can afford generator, get good job, go to school, eat three square meals, change dress, have internet for nairaland...so its normal to feel settled in a place ur Favoured or Comfortable whether naija or abroad.

Have u tried going out on the streets to and see the way pple are suffering...go tell them about change and see whether they won't b mad at U and that's what poverty does wants u to just think of survival and nothing else...I believe the more our leaders loot and the more poverty increases the more pple strive to survive and the more change eludes US.

I thank God for his provisions for me in Nigeria BUT the truth is my people they suffer and citizenz abroad have a better standard of living than ours.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by VolvoS60(m): 9:44am On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:
VolvoS60 ,

You need to understand that it is not international media bashing of the country which would help its citizens.
Right now the common image of each and every Nigerian who goes abroad is that of a corrupt individual.
Needless to say that foreign investment is far from where it could be if we didn't have such an image.
Changeing the Nation is something we need to do internally with our votes and our unions and our political rallies and political parties, not something we are supposed to be doing by destroying our collective image internationnally.
You don't find it interesting that our neighbor is far more corrupt than we are, yet all the western media does is to say how corrupt we are. Of course they forget their own corruption.
The only news they broadcast about us are negative and you think there is no problem with that !
Try and do research on character assassination.
They are not trying to help us, they are trying to run us down !
They are trying to trigger more bloodshed and to stop foreign investment and to freez the economy entirely.
Imagine if the only news about the us was about its corruption and its racism and its non stopping aggressions of foreign countries and also its depleted federal reserves and it crime rates and its link to several terrorist groups. Imagine that kind of news portray of the us everyday. Then the perception of the us and of americans would be that of being a terrible country and people... That is the kind of treatment we are getting.
I don't need the bbc or cnn to help me in building my nation, I and my people are not babies, we can do it, western and foreign media stop the character assassination of my people and country.

^^^^
'International media bashing' (as you put it) means different things to different people. And for the record, let me state that I understand perfectly well the immense power of global communication media and the insidious uses to which it can be put. I have no problem at all if Nigerians challenge unfair portrayal of their country. What sickens me is when 'local area patriots' make absolutely no effort to fix their country's problems and instead choose to spend most of their time attacking Western media channels. Fix your systems and half the war on unfair portrayal is won. Period.

You speak about foreign investment in Nigeria and how our 'poor' image hampers it. At the risk of sounding like a broken record let me state clearly: fixing our broken systems and sub-systems is a surer bet in driving FDI than any online debate on image polishing that you and I can have here. There are 'ease of doing business indices' that will tell prospective investors all they need to know about doing business here in Nigeria. All prospective investors need to do is read these business guides or contact their embassy trade missions or chambers of commerce and the truth will be revealed. I am deeply saddened to tell you that my experience in registering a business here in Nigeria with the CAC was an awful one and no online image management can erase that reality. angry I will save the story of the experience of doing business itself for some other time.

I am glad you agree that, as you put it "Changing the Nation is something we need to do internally with our votes and our unions and our political rallies and political parties". This sir, is where the problem really lies. This is what we should focus on. I can tell you again: hold your leaders accountable in fixing your system and I guarantee your/(our) problems will shrink.

You have referred to our neighbour (Cameroon I presume) in your post yet again. And again I will repeat my refrain: I am not interested in corruption in Cameroon. I have no direct personal or professional ties to Cameroon - other than our shared brotherhood as friendly neighbouring nation states. My interest is Nigeria and in forcing her leaders to do what they are being paid to do. Simple.

The rest of your post is unfortunately, full of emotional comments about Western media driven attempts to pull us down, trigger bloodshed, squeeze FDI and crash this economy. Patriot4, please buckle up and get on with the hard work of forcing your leaders to be accountable and to do what they are paid to do: getting Nigeria to work and to work properly and efficiently. In the end, that is what will get results. Not this impotent railing against the "enemy without" over the internet.

On a parting note: I do not view the USA through rose tinted spectacles. It is a giant with clay feet. It is a deeply fractured country with serious problems - high rates of violent crime, a poor public education system, a thoroughly corrupt political system which disenfranchises the poor and vulnerable, institutional racism, an evil doctrine of imperialism masquerading as "American exceptionalism", rising poverty, unemployment and income inequality, etc. I could go on and on. But these are problems that Americans will have to solve for themselves - if they choose to pretend these problems do not exist (or that hostile countries and a global media conspiracy have fabricated these issues to make the USA look bad) then Americans WILL pay the price. The same holds true for Nigeria: we can choose to confront our problems head on and fix them OR we can waste time fighting (ultimately futile) image management wars or blaming 'hostile' countries and their newsmedia corporations.

Actions and choices have consequences. It is a natural law.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
VolvoS60:

^^^^
'International media bashing' (as you put it) means different things to different people. And for the record, let me state that I understand perfectly well the immense power of global communication media and the insidious uses to which it can be put. I have no problem at all if Nigerians challenge unfair portrayal of their country. What sickens me is when 'local area patriots' make absolutely no effort to fix their country's problems and instead choose to spend most of their time attacking Western media channels. Fix your systems and half the war on unfair portrayal is won. Period.

You speak about foreign investment in Nigeria and how our 'poor' image hampers it. At the risk of sounding like a broken record let me state clearly: fixing our broken systems and sub-systems is a surer bet in driving FDI than any online debate on image polishing that you and I can have here. There are 'ease of doing business indices' that will tell prospective investors all they need to know about doing business here in Nigeria. All prospective investors need to do is read these business guides or contact their embassy trade missions or chambers of commerce and the truth will be revealed. I am deeply saddened to tell you that my experience in registering a business here in Nigeria with the CAC was an awful one and no online image management can erase that reality. angry I will save the story of the experience of doing business itself for some other time.

I am glad you agree that, as you put it "Changing the Nation is something we need to do internally with our votes and our unions and our political rallies and political parties". This sir, is where the problem really lies. This is what we should focus on. I can tell you again: hold your leaders accountable in fixing your system and I guarantee your/(our) problems will shrink.

You have referred to our neighbour (Cameroon I presume) in your post yet again. And again I will repeat my refrain: I am not interested in corruption in Cameroon. I have no direct personal or professional ties to Cameroon - other than our shared brotherhood as friendly neighbouring nation states. My interest is Nigeria and in forcing her leaders to do what they are being paid to do. Simple.

The rest of your post is unfortunately, full of emotional comments about Western media driven attempts to pull us down, trigger bloodshed, squeeze FDI and crash this economy. Patriot4, please buckle up and get on with the hard work of forcing your leaders to be accountable and to do what they are paid to do: getting Nigeria to work and to work properly and efficiently. In the end, that is what will get results. Not this impotent railing against the "enemy without" over the internet.

On a parting note: I do not view the USA through rose tinted spectacles. It is a giant with clay feet. It is a deeply fractured country with serious problems - high rates of violent crime, a poor public education system, a thoroughly corrupt political system which disenfranchises the poor and vulnerable, institutional racism, an evil doctrine of imperialism masquerading as "American exceptionalism", rising poverty, unemployment and income inequality, etc. I could go on and on. But these are problems that Americans will have to solve for themselves - if they choose to pretend these problems do not exist (or that hostile countries and a global media conspiracy have fabricated these issues to make the USA look bad) then Americans WILL pay the price. The same holds true for Nigeria: we can choose to confront our problems head on and fix them OR we can waste time fighting (ultimately futile) image management wars or blaming 'hostile' countries and their newsmedia corporations.

Actions and choices have consequences. It is a natural law.

Look, first of all, you don't seem to understand that right now one of our biggest problems is the western media itself !
The fact that all they report about Nigeria is negative is a way to destroy the country.
It seems you do not know what is called hostile reporting!
No country is perfect and it is going to take us time to overcome our problems, but the western media is killing us right now !
Western media is trying hard to destroy our image and economy and so on. It is the average Nigerian who suffers from that. This is a form of foreign intervention, the like of which westerners think they are god sent to do.
Western media believe in the moral superiority of the west and intentionnally portrays black nations which are powerful enough to have their own policies and to influence others, as evil. They did that to Haïti and crashed its economy. It is the same western media which was used in the days of colonization to portray africans as savages who needed their ressources taken away by westerners and their freedom suspended.
I think you really have a problem understanding me, the reason why I talk about cameroon is all about the logics of condemning us day and nigh while not condemning people who are worse than us. Cameroon is a dictatorship which has a habbit of locking up political opposition, in their last fake elections the opponents of biya said biya was the best candidate for presidency. Biya has been president for more than 31 years, and the country is extremely corrupt, but Biya was schooled and appointed by France and spends a big amount of time in Paris (probably taking orders), so western media looks the order way (play on words). You really need to understand that the media is being used as a weapon, not as a humanitarian intervention. Look for example at what western media and aljaziera have turned isis into, thanks to them isis is now an international company which is growing in strenght, and the poor countries of Iraq and Syria keep seing their people being beheaded at a greater rate. Western media portrayal is so terrible that now many westerners have been brainwashed by the media and are now terrorists fighting in syria. The same with this boko haram problem in which the western media publishes a lot of ennemy propaganda and gives the terrorists free publicity and gives it a bigger credibility than any Nigerian institution or person. All this helps the terrorists to recruit and helps them to get funds. People who specialize on fighting against terror (including Jacob Zenn) have been complaining on the fact that western media is willingly or unwillingly making rockstars out of terrorists. This is what I am complaining about !
All this was also done against Russia itself, yes great Russia was bashed by western media and that is why RT was created. The same was done against Iran and that is why pressTV was created. The same was done against the arabs and that is why they created aljaziera and al arabiya.
You need to understand that there is such a thing as media war going on !
This world is not an utopia in which the press tells the truth and is driven by good intentions, it is all about running people down !
You should know that ! The press is a tool much like an army, it is there to exeecute your foreign policy.
So you need to understand this, there is no moral superiority in western media and there are no good intentions neither, it is all about fighting against Nigeria through media war ! That is why Nigerians keep being humiliated in international air ports.
So stop the simplistic rhetoric of saying "fix your problesms and the negative media coverage will go". When we had more serious problems in the abacha dictatorship for example, the media coverage was better than what it is now.
We are bound to fix our problems, but by ourselves, no messianic mission from the west, just Nigerians fixing Nigeria's problems. On the other side there is a media war going on and that also needs to be won.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 02, 2014
saxywale:

Your uncle loves America and the American dollar more than his country of birth. simple as ABC.
If he loves Nigeria that much, he would be back in the country immediately after his studies like most patriotic Nigerians do. But he stayed back to enjoy the sweat of the white men.
You are not making any sense, my uncle refused usa citizenship. And yes he is interested in making money, that is why he is in the usa, my uncle's passport is green and his money has no colour. There are also many americans who work in the oil sector in Nigeria, (htey make about five times what you call a high salary in the US), should we reverse the thing and say they love Nigeria more than the US and that they love the Naira and want to enjoy the sweet of the black man ? try and make some sense !
To my uncle, america is a business, not a country.
Everybody has his own plans, my uncle is not the best person in this world, but he is patriotic, you can't take that away from him. he is not superman and has had a lot of trouble, but he keeps to his plan: gather money legally and then come back home and make things better (build hospitals). He comes back home every chance he gets.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 2:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
Raiders:
maybe you should write about the problems your new country is facing like over 30,000 Americans are killed from Gun violence, the killing of unarmed black mens by the police, there are more black men in prison than in colleges and university. Black earn less than whites, the proverty and unemployment rate of blacks is twice that of whites because whites are more likely to be employed by a recruiter. The US justice system is biased to blacks than whites. Leave Africans to solve our problems because you are now a US citizen.

Re: "...30,000 Americans are killed from Gun violence"

Most Africans can barely afford to feed themselves, let alone buy a gun. But that doesn't stop Africans from dying, due to gun violence, bombings and mob violence, many times stemming from ethnic and religious violence and superstitious beliefs.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­___________________________________________________________________
Re: "...the killing of unarmed black mens by the police"

What of this?

Nigerian Police Brutality: Killer Cop Arrested In Lagos

The police officer that brutally shot a Makoko Waterfront community leader while on duty arrested.

Read more at: http://naijagists.com/killer-cop-arrested-in-lagos-over-makoko-brutality/

Nigerian Police Bully And Execute Defenceless Citizens

Nigeria has become one huge killing field of defenceless citizens. The killing machine is the Nigerian Police, who think it is no big deal shooting and killing the same people they are paid to protect. This absurd indulgence has existed for years without a serious attempt to bring it to an end. Every year, hundreds of citizens get killed by the police unlawfully. These killings usually go uninvestigated and unpunished.
Read more: http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headline/119454-nigeria-police-bully-and-execute-defenceless-citizens.html#ixzz3HujGGQmP

"There are more black men in prison than in colleges and university."

Fact: African-American men are grossly overrepresented in the penal system; however, there are more African-American males in college than in prison, as of 2011. Howard University Professor Ivory A. Toldson found in his research that enrollment of African-American males in higher education increased from 693,044 in 2001 to 1,445,194 in 2011. This myth has been used by education experts, the media and even the President, despite the fact that over the last decade, African-American boys have largely avoided the "school-to-prison" pipeline. (Source: 2013 Education Week report.)

Re: The Prison Population

Of the estimated 2 million inmates held in state or federal prison—or local jails—841,000 are African American men and is in a steady decline, for the last decade.

(Source: U.S. Department of Corrections 2009-2013 Report)

NOTE: I have no real issue with the other points you listed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Yobe Government Apologises For False News On Missing Dapchi Girls / What Did You Achieve In Buhari's 7+ Years? / Caption This Photo Of Dino Melaye And Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.