Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? (50761 Views)

Tips To Keeping A Good African Man / Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? / Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By South African Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
cococandy:
Dishwasher: check
Washing machine: check
Epidural: check check check. Oh please check. And add whatever else they can find to that.
Yam pounder: check
Food processor: check.

All hail the President of the lazy wives club.

Biko nwanyi oma, o na Naijeria ki gote ihe a ni'le? grin

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
Bitojoe:
I beg you in the name of God.if your husband love pounded Yam,better pound it for him.even if you can't pound,learn how to pound.otherwise,there is one tiny lady eyeing your husband.

Good luck to them oh. Make she carry the husband go, if na pounded yam go make am waka make he go. Good riddance

9 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Bitojoe(m): 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
smokescreen4:
you think pounding the yam would stop the tiny lady or the husband?

a woman must cook her husband best food.if pounded Yam is his best.remember, the service you can't render at home to your husband or wife,there is someone else outside ready to serve better.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
[deleted]

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by cococandy(f): 6:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
grin
aisha2:

I am the President jare. Before we married ny mother in law visited, she was shocked i had a maid even before marriage and kids and when she said so i told her yes oh, your son got one for me because he said Saturday is for dates and rest not for cleaning, washing and cooking. Na so she look me,matter end, case closed
na you biko

3 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by DeanHaas99(m): 6:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

Oga calm down, am not a man basher, never been, never will be, *i love my men*.
Your Men?..Only God Knows what that Means... Secondly...Really?...This is the Best Nairaland has Got?..1 Topic in like 9 Hours?

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by cococandy(f): 6:23pm On Nov 03, 2014
njokusboy:

Biko nwanyi oma, o na Naijeria ki gote ihe a ni'le? grin
they are available in nigeria
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by freecocoa(f): 6:23pm On Nov 03, 2014
So at one point in my life, I decided I wasn't going to remain with a certain bf that woozed me serious samaring, I kept hearing "You this girl, how will you stay with a man with so much willpower?", "nwanyi ekwesiro kwa enwe udi obi a", nwanyi kwesiri enwe obi umeala ka onwere di nwuo ife" grin

In my mind I was like "chai! Who did this to these people?" grin

I didn't know a woman's purpose on earth is to endure a man, but it's not my fault, God created me stubborn/gave me a mind of my own which I put to good use,,y'all can go talk to him if you have a problem with where I stand on the matter.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by free2ryhme: 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:
I have noticed that a woman is mostly expected to suffer before she is referred to as a good wife or sweet mother.
The story or picture of a sweet mother is usually one who suffers so much for so long.

One funny thing is that any technological innovation that aims to make womens life easier is strongly resisted and women who use these called lazy.

Funny thing those complaining will always rush technological gadgets like they phones they use to comment. They will use calculator instead of calculating with their brains yet it doesnt make them lazy. They will have the newest cars, instead of bicycles or treking like their likewise hard working fathers and ancestors. They will use clippers instead of razor as used by grandfathers, they will wear all the desinger wriat watches instead of standing under the sun to check time. They will eat processed food and meat unstead of going to farm for food, hunt for it or fish like their own fathers did.
Here are some most resisted technological innovations

1. Yam pounder: lazy women cant pound common yam for 4 people they cant pound. My mother used to pound for all 3 wives and 38 children without getting tired.

Gas cooker: lazy women, what happened to firewood. Our mothers went 10 kilometres to get firewood yet you want me to spend 4 k every month on gas.

Washing machine: how many clothes are you washing self? My mother had 9 kids and handwashed all their ckothes in the stream

Epidural: this is the height of laziness, if my mother can have 10 kids at home on her own why cant you push out 4 by yourself?

Dish washer: why did i marry you? What will you be doing while machine is washing plates for you? grin

All the above mention rarely happens in this 21st century though in the past you May be right but now, very Minimal except the womEn u refer to is from the village

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by 5minsmadness: 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2014
moca:
@freshdud2, so many of them out there, so many of them.
One refused to carry his son(son he has been killing d wife for.as if to say wifey produces baby sex)when wife wanted to start biz again just for a sat so she can equip her shop after pregnancy and omugwo thing.

That she should get baby carrier ,enter public transport to balogun(he has a car).

Very wicked man.
Even d day i went to see baby, on his arrival,see the very cold welcome he gave me. I quietly knew it was time to take my leave.
Wifey called later to apologize. Said she brought it up and he dismissed it, not until wifey told him i gave baby a very surprising gift did he start mumbling sorry. Pls call her and tell her i didnt see her(lol)

So yes, many(not generalising) r doing that.

Its obvious that this particular guy has a beef with his wife that you don't know about hence his cold behaviour.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by dabossman(m): 6:25pm On Nov 03, 2014
damiso:

grin grin grin at lazy family

One thing I will add though is it's easier to make life easier for the family when you also contribute to the family finances .If the family income can only afford the bare basics especially if you are not earning (due to choice or maybe inability to get a job/income)pls don't moan and compare yourself to another person or family where the woman probably bought the washing machine herself.I am a strong believer in making do with what's available while working towards the preferred.

I hear some girls say 'he must have this this and this in his apartment before we can think marriage' and I think that's just a bit rich especially as they might not have even contributed one bit to setting up of the said apartment.

You are a good woman, my dear.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Bitojoe(m): 6:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

Good luck to them oh. Make she carry the husband go, if na pounded yam go make am waka make he go. Good riddance

better give your husband his best food.if pounded Yam is his choice

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by 5minsmadness: 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
MadCow1:
Yes o!!

Infact... I am in the middle of one serious matter.

Imagine a Man who has the nerve to beat his 7plus month pregnant wife, bundle her into a Car and drives so bad that he gets involved in an accident with her seated in front with no seatbelts on..

Now.. To blow your mind even further, the woman says; "He beats me because that is a weakness he has'.. shocked shocked And against all advice, she has gone back to be with the same animal..

Many people would call her a Good wife.. I call her an emotionally damaged female.
But this has nothing to do with the topic Na! We are not talking of battered wives here.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 03, 2014
Bitojoe:

Bitojoe:

I say i no pound, i dash am to the small girl wetin again?

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by dabossman(m): 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sophyrocks:
That is the Nigerian context of a good african wife, a good wife material. she must be willing to put her life on the line for the sake of her family, most of the time for her husband. she must be willing to swallow all sorts of stds, must be willing to go through emotional stress for long periods using prayer as an antidote for any problem. The longer the stress, the more stronger and virtuous she is seen to be. My people, did the bible ever describe a virtuous woman as one who suffers? Is God in supporrt of the suffering of humans?

She must be willing to be a deaf and dumb woman somewhat equivalent to a puppet or baby doll. Yet She must still be the one to hold the family together no matter what (now you wonder where the function of the so called 'Head' of family comes in). She must break her back and go through all sorts of iniquities so that she can be viewed as a 'wife material'. To the average nigerian, Marriage is pain, pain is love. That is why you see mentally unstable men who deliberately make their wives and even children, suffer. Sometimes it is done to prove a point. Such men believe that since their mothers suffered in the hands of their fathers, therefore, their wives must suffer. that is why you hear statements like "Our mothers went through this or that, why can't you go through the same"? Always comparing women with their mothers. My people, can two people from different backgrounds ever be alike? is it possible for two generations that are apart to be simiilar in choices and orientations?

After going through all these stress and tribulations, she is still expected not to change physically but to remain a sweet 16 and her s*e*x*ual prowess in bed must be top notch. My people, is this ever possible?

You, my dear, are guilty of generalization. You've not been married to most Nigerian men. Sometimes, this preconceived, generalized old wives tales is what ruins homes. You go in with a negative mindset, always on the defensive, even when no one is chasing. If you take your time to marry the right man/woman, the two of you will discover what works for you in your home. Don't generalize.

7 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by londoner: 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2014
OP, you are right in your assessment for the most part, especially with more traditional married African/Nigerian men.

If I have the money, I will get a dish washer........if you stay in a house that has one, it's amazing how much time you have for other things. Same with washing machines. Makes life much easier and less stressful.

Every time I see images of Nigeran street sweepers, bending down and damaging their already age ack, I shake my head. Its actually quite cruel imo. They can't even provide them with long handle brushes or less damaging ways of carrying out that task.

6 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
free2ryhme:

All the above mention rarely happens in this 21st century though in the past you May be right but now, very Minimal except the womEn u refer to is from the village

See ya.answers:

TheNaijan:

Those are traditional gender roles...It's funny because our grand mothers did not complain? It's also funny because when Nigerian women (as you say) start enjoying all those privileges you mentioned--the level of [b]divorce or single mums in this country would go higher[/b]...Just look at the case of USA--you'd commonly see American men traveling to Eastern European(Russia, Ukrain, etc), South America(Brazil) and Asia(Japan, Hong Kong, Philippians, etc) countries to marry from there...the American woman has so been given privilege to an extent that some call America and some other western countries anti-men...
I guess not... A wife shouldn't be a slave; but she gotta do what she has to do to keep the family going.

Ya brother say modern technological gadgets to aid women go cause divorce. grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by duperola(f): 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
i think it is just unfortunate that most women personally dont have self respect/worth so it transcends even in2 marriage.being married does not mean u hv 2 suffer.try being an asset 2 a man&even when he is low,u can lift him up!

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Bitojoe(m): 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

I say i no pound, i dash am to the small girl wetin again?

women always look for trouble since 1863bc.

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by DeanHaas99(m): 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

You're not A Married Woman,Are you? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by ichidodo: 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
By huitzilopotchli's balls we 've been starved of frontpage news that reading ludicrous and mundane topics such as this never gives us the awkward moment one has after losing a wrestling bout with a daughter of Sparta...

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by jahbiz: 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
Too many mistakes will not allow me to read the post to the end. Seems some Mods are lazy here. The Op needs to read the post again and do the needful.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by koolg: 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
if as a woman you're hard working and have a good job or are very industrious then you will not even give a second thought to all these jagbajantis
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by manot: 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
hmm
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
jahbiz:
Too many mistakes will not allow me to read the post to the end. Seems some Mods are lazy here. The Op needs to read the post again and do the needful.

No vex abeg new phone auto correct. Still trying to understand it
Tried to modify, found out i couldnt modify the original topic

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by LordReed(m): 6:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sometimes it is not about suffering. My parents bought yam pounder, washing machine and vacuum cleaner. Of the 3 only the vacuum cleaner remained useful because my mum hated the output of the yam pounder, she always complained of "seed" in the pounded yam. Till tomorrow she still pounds by pestle and mortar. The washing machine was destroyed by low water pressure within 2 or 3 washes so we never even got to enjoy it.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:
Shebi super sports no dey make men lazy hehehehehe. Hi kettle grin grin grin grin grin
Supersport doesn't make real men go lazy cos they don't spend too much time infront of TV. Same should be said about Real African women who knows their onus & doesn't stay too long to while surfing the internet, chatting or watching African Magic
Last Bullet
The thing here is I m not against the points you listed in this thread. A woman can assist herself with washing machine, poundo yam, gas cooker etc if they v a large family & can afford them. They are dividends of our modern world. I m sure our forefathers ll v been glad to use them if they were available back then. What you & I should frown against is lazy women with their attitudes & how the affect their household

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
Folks just love bastardising terms on this forum. When did "modern" become interchangeable with gadgets that aren't even a necessity? How many of you folks living in Nigeria can't even afford/have these gadgets in Nigeria? This is just a lousy topic to mask fakeness.

I honestly don't see the hype in dish washers especially if you don't have a big family. But hey, some folks are just wasteful, and won't mind wasting electricity to have this ridiculous notion about being "modern" in their heads. We have had dish washer in my house since like forever, and my mum seldom use the darn thing. And almost every house I've lived in (including the current one) had/has dish washer, and I've never touched the darn thing.

Wash ya darn plates after eating! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nigerians like suffering and they are usually envious of those who are not. Majority of them can't afford to buy those gadgets or use a hospital where they can get epidural . Instead of them to admit that they are unable to afford these things they would rather try and put those things down and make it sound bad for those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford it. It's the same way you will hear a man who cannot even afford to buy a bicycle saying that he dosen't even like Range Rovers because they are too common lmao.

Most women that have all these gadgets work and they are contributing financially and then it will afford them the time to take care of them self look wise and still have steamy sex anytime. That to me is a good wife not one who looks a mess and just lies there during sex because the poor woman is tired from pounding yam and doing other chorea while she also had to go o work. The same men would insult the woman for letting herself go a if women have 48hour in a day.

18 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 03, 2014
Good men buy all these gadgets for their wives if they can afford it. If your husband can't afford it, would you divorce him for that?

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nihilist: 6:37pm On Nov 03, 2014
The OP is a joker

You want a Washing Machine, Dishwasher, Pounding Machine, blah blah...

How much do you contribute to NEPA Bill? Or money for Gen?

You can bet that she sits on her fat derrière all day, and doesn't even go downstairs to put on the pumping machine.

Abeg, someone should arrest the OP for attempted robbery. angry

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by pickabeau1: 6:38pm On Nov 03, 2014
bukatyne:

In this case, it is the husbands that will be bashed if necessary

Besides no husband bashing, just stating facts.

Is there anything new here
When you lot are filled to the brim with your man bashing örgy you will move onto the next topic which of course will be something the man has done again..

Endless and recycled topics...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

My Adulterous Wife Threw Me Out Of My Home And Moved In Her Lover-Ibadan Man / Woman Accuses Maid Of Stealing Her Husband With Charms / "Village People Can Die Now" - Man As He Boasts About Brother’s White Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.