Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? (50753 Views)

Tips To Keeping A Good African Man / Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? / Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By South African Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 03, 2014
SirShymex:

You'll save a lot especially when the dishes aren't many. Dish washer isn't a necessity for a small family.

Also, the overall cost based on usage isn't worth it. Heck, growing up, we seldom touched the dish washer. And most families that I know don't even touch theirs as well. Unless when the dishes have been stacked for days, or after house parties.

Anyway, I just don't understand why folks are attaching so much importance to gadgets, to be honest.

I am just not clear what the purpose of this thread is tbh! Does using it automatically make me lazy or what? Are there men out there who are interested in knowing how dishes are cleaned or clothes laundered? I am just wondering ni o

3 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nashville:

And these other people do not exist in the real world. Abi which woman will claim them. lol
Chai Nairaland, anyway some of these women are just here having fun! grin grin grin

I apologise for what i am about to ask, didnt mean to ever get personal till you did.
Last week you started a thread about wives confronting mistresses, so many disagreed with you but did so respectfully. No one even inferred that you may be cheating hence the topic or even bought your wife into the topic yet you started the topic and it ran for 10 pages or so, all clean and respectful. Why now bring peoples husbands to score whatever points because they dont agree with you?

So many people i ignore but you i actually respect, its needless to say the least.

12 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:
I have noticed that a woman is mostly expected to suffer before she is referred to as a good wife or sweet mother.
The story or picture of a sweet mother is usually one who suffers so much for so long.

One funny thing is that any technological innovation that aims to make womens life easier is strongly resisted and women who use these called lazy.

Funny thing those complaining will always rush technological gadgets like they phones they use to comment. They will use calculator instead of calculating with their brains yet it doesnt make them lazy. They will have the newest cars, instead of bicycles or treking like their likewise hard working fathers and ancestors. They will use clippers instead of razor as used by grandfathers, they will wear all the desinger wriat watches instead of standing under the sun to check time. They will eat processed food and meat unstead of going to farm for food, hunt for it or fish like their own fathers did.
Here are some most resisted technological innovations

1. Yam pounder: lazy women cant pound common yam for 4 people they cant pound. My mother used to pound for all 3 wives and 38 children without getting tired.

Gas cooker: lazy women, what happened to firewood. Our mothers went 10 kilometres to get firewood yet you want me to spend 4 k every month on gas.

Washing machine: how many clothes are you washing self? My mother had 9 kids and handwashed all their ckothes in the stream

Epidural: this is the height of laziness, if my mother can have 10 kids at home on her own why cant you push out 4 by yourself?

Dish washer: why did i marry you? What will you be doing while machine is washing plates for you? grin
OP U R REALLY HIGH ON GUM
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by dabossman(m): 7:52pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Yes Bad news sells. But that doesnt change the fact that this is the same unhealthy mentality the typical nigerian has and holds on to. Its everywhere. Just a handful of people dnt have such mentality. lets be truthful o. you are only speaking for yourself o.

The fact? You say "fact" like you've done some scientific survey to prove this. I know families who don't even have much who live in love and unity in spite of the finer things in life that they can't afford. Both husband and wife do their part and they are happy, gadgets or not.

I also have several friends who have these gadgets in their homes. If the Op had come with this thread maybe 5-10 years ago, I might say, okay, but not today. I don't see any of my neighbors wives bringing clothes outside to wash and I can't remember the last time I heard any of them pounding yam. They all have gas cylinders behind their kitchen windows. The dishwasher has not caught on yet, but maybe it will eventually.

So where is this so called "typical Nigerian mentality" you are talking about. Like someone here said, maybe some men hide under such statements just because they can't afford the gadgets yet, but once they can they go and get it. In the end, being content and happy in your marriage is what matters. Having all the gadgets in the world doesn't guarantee that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ugh. Most Nairaland men boys are so sickening. I keep telling myself they don't represent Nigerian men as a whole.

*unfollows*

8 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

I say i no pound, i dash am to the small girl wetin again?
But sb pounds, u will chow. Story grin

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by AfricanApple(f): 7:54pm On Nov 03, 2014
moca:
How can one open leg to a man who dey panel beat her?
I mean, how do they do it?

I dont know if i should blame culture or religion or both for d woe that befall women in this part of d world sad
Beating a pregnant woman?
Im not surprised. My cousin beat his own to stupor(8months)bc of his mom.
Wifey fainted and mama left her and went out. Though that episode reset d guy's head sharp sharp.
shocked

I think it should be blamed more on culture, I even heard dat in some culture, no matter how u suffer, u must remain there. d only thing is dat they would warn d man and if he refuses to listen, they deal with him, still wondering how true dat would be

u know how it is, Africans and d fear of what pple would say. mcheew, smh

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Please, read some of the comments here written by men and you will see that some of them have funny reasons why there should be no washing machines in the household. wink

The OP did not open the thread to bash men, she has opened the thread based on observations and some men have confirmed that they have the mentality she described.

Nobody is bashing reasonable, good men but there are many funny male creatures here and out there. undecided

Hahahahahaha. So many funny creatures here i tell yah!! Nairaland is a solid proof of what i said earlier.

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 03, 2014
hhehehe...God bless this my husband___father___Friend___Protector___Provider___ Teacher kiss.
I actually have all these things @home, but I'm not used to them. So I still hand wash.
-I still pound fufu, when my hubby isn't watching though.
-I use 'nku' (firewood), to cook okazi/oha soup because I think the taste is different/sweeter.
-I can't remember the last time I used a stove.
-I haven't used an epidural bc I can withstand pain or I just decided to withstand the pain.

In all this, my sweet husband never fails to tell me how I love suffering...hahaha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 03, 2014
salt1:

Where do you people manufacture your figures from? Where did you discover your "most Nigerians?"
Why do people like you and the op enjoy coming up with your statistics? Where is the educated husband who wants the wife to cook with wood-fire? Do you know how long my family has been searching for a yam pounder to buy? Because no one has the stamina to pound the yam to a smooth consistency, we have suspended eating pounded yam. It is even fattening, which is an additional disincentive.

I imagine that you're not living in the country and are harbouring a view of Nigeria that no longer exists. The topic is an insult to the average Nigerian middle-class family. We don't need this sermon

don't mind them. They stay there in the UK and US and think they know sh!t about this country. Imagine one telling us she sees it on the street how street sweepers use those ancient brooms to sweep the street. When have you ever seen the sweepers who sweep our roads carry broom to sweep the road? I mean those people in orange overalls. Yes, they do carry small brooms but its not becos they don't have the modern ones. But becos there are certain things the 'modern' ones cannot do but can be done by the traditional broom. They carry all together. Infact, there is this one they hold in their hand that if they want to pick anything from the ground, they don't need to bend. We have all these in Nigeria yet, some people want to continue to believe lies.

I am some one who believes that people who hold these kind of view (majority of whom are feminists) just don't want the society to move on. They don't want things to change becos if things change, these people are not going to have any job anymore. The existence of such imaginary problem gives them something to talk about and make them relevant. Its more about securing a bad ad poor job becos they have no capacity and capability to deploy anywhere else.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by adebisicutie: 8:00pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nihilist:

There you go...

Like SirShymex said, this is the perfect exhibition of a primitive mentality in a 3rd world society.

You don't have constant electricity, yet you spunk a large amount of money on machines with an average spin cycle time of 1 hour. What happens if NEPA takes light mid cycle?

I'm sure you don't even know the energy requirement for your 'gadgets' as you called them, yet you're running them on a shared Generator....simply because you pay the same money as your co-tenants. Is that not criminal? What if you're overloading the generator?

Washing Machines and Dishwashers have been around since the 80s...the reason they didn't takeoff in Nigeria is the fact that they are not cost-effective given the epileptic power supply.

These days, wanton materialism has swept the nation, hence your purchase of a heavy duty washing machine and dishwasher...when you don't even have electricity.

Like I said, your type have never even seen NEPA Bill. grin

Lmao heavy duty machines ke, na the washing machine they use at dry cleaners or what grin. Do you know what it would take to overload the industrial generators used by these apartments? Do you know you are always advised against under utilizing it. Do you think one uses all these gadgets at once? When the power goes off my washing machine stops and picks up once it's back on and completes the washing. It's obvious you don't have any first hand knowledge about these things you are saying so let's call it a day. Let me go and switch on my washing machine grin

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by ozo13(m): 8:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

Oga calm down, am not a man basher, never been, never will be, i love my men.
This isnt about those who cant afford it but those who can and who can get modern gadgets yet equate every technological device invented to give women some relief as a laziness inducive device.
I have heard this discussions and read them here too. And there is no generalisation so it cant be man bashing na.

The aim of this thread? Just wondering aloud, I know you havent forgiven me after misinterpreting my veuws on the mourning cheating husbands thread despite my clarification over and over hence the man bashing tag. Lol, I am actually a men defender because I know and see so many good men hence i always highlight it but as much as we highlight the good we must address the bad
sister personally i have not tasted pounded yam prepared from d pounder machine bt many people complain it does not taste as d normal mortar pounded ones.even some women testified to dat.if u feel u r good wt d pounder machine y must u await ya husband to buy it for u.get it yaself.both men n women r doing same work thz days earning same salary.so y must u await ya husband to buy it for u.same way nowadays women like to hook up wt a rich dude(dangote son grin) na so men toi dey hook up wit women that will not be a liability bt rather will be a gud asset.one love babe kiss
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by vision2050: 8:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by freecocoa(f): 8:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
Still on the dishwasher, I don't like to see used plates after eating that's why in my house, when you are done eating, you wash your plate before leaving the kitchen, growing up, my mum did hers and that of dad(she appoints one of us to on some occasions), during/after cooking, whoever did the cooking made sure the kitchen stays neat,that way there are no dirty plates in the kitchen.

I like this method and you don't even notice you've done any chore, I don't like the idea of piling up dishes at all.

Different strokes for different folks anyways, whatever works best for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 03, 2014
naijababe:

I am just not clear what the purpose of this thread is tbh! Does using it automatically make me lazy or what? Are there men out there who are interested in knowing how dishes are cleaned or clothes laundered? I am just wondering ni o

I think the OP is trying to talk about what the "modern woman" should be, but ended up citing the most ridiculous examples that have more to do preference/choice, and things that are just mere appendages. It is like saying the metrosexual man is the modern man - utterly ridiculous.

Anyway, it doesn't make you lazy if there is a need for those gadgets, and those needs can be justified. However, if those gadgets are just for wasteful expenditure you don't need, I honestly don't see the need for them. Unless the person is just lazy.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 03, 2014
dabossman:

The fact? You say "fact" like you've done some scientific survey to prove this. I know families who don't even have much who live in love and unity in spite of the finer things in life that they can't afford. Both husband and wife do their part and they are happy, gadgets or not.

I also have several friends who have these gadgets in their homes. If the Op had come with this thread maybe 5-10 years ago, I might say, okay, but not today. I don't see any of my neighbors wives bringing clothes outside to wash and I can't remember the last time I heard any of them pounding yam. They all have gas cylinders behind their kitchen windows. The dishwasher has not caught on yet, but maybe it will eventually.

So where is this so called "typical Nigerian mentality" you are talking about. Like someone here said, maybe some men hide under such statements just because they can't afford the gadgets yet, but once they can they go and get it. In the end, being content and happy in your marriage is what matters. Having all the gadgets in the world doesn't guarantee that.

Did you just open an account in nairaland just recently? Pay attention and read threads often so you will see what i am talking about. Nairaland is one of them. Just relax and start with this one. Like i said earlier, you can only speak yourself. and by the way, my comment didnt tallk about dish washer or washing machine. It talked about other aspects in marriage in case you have forgotten.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by thompsee(m): 8:03pm On Nov 03, 2014
Yes if being submissive to one's man, maning the home. Front and doing her duty as a woman in the home is what u called suffering then so be it. U Guy are created to suffer in África, women abuse power . If d woman is opportuned to have the money being spent in d house. Then d man is downgraded, foot matched and constantly call useless man or the father of my kids not my husband again . But when d man hás it then its for everyone in d family .

3 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by macof(m): 8:03pm On Nov 03, 2014
A good African wife is one that is submissive to the husband, she should be hardworking but not a working jackass while the husband sits around only waiting for food... of course no good woman should waste her time with a lazy man of no potential
In Yoruba societies we encourage love and unity in a family and this responsibility lies basically on the first woman of the house. The woman also has the children, they learn all they know at childhood from their mother so she should be a wonderful example and show love and discipline

African women don't suffer because of tradition maybe the OP's mother/grandmother married a poor and careless man who put her through hell
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 03, 2014
freecocoa:
Still on the dishwasher, I don't like to see used place after eating that's why in my house, when you are done eating, you wash your plate before leaving the kitchen, growing up, my mum did hers and that of dad(she appoints one of us to on some occasions), during/after cooking, whoever did the cooking made sure the kitchen stays neat,that way there are no dirty plates in the kitchen.

I like this method and you don't even notice you've done any chore, I don't like the idea of piling up dishes at all.

Best thing to do. There is no point stacking plates. Just wash as you go, and make your kitchen look clean.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 03, 2014
freecocoa:
Still on the dishwasher, I don't like to see used place after eating that's why in my house, when you are done eating, you wash your plate before leaving the kitchen, growing up, my mum did hers and that of dad(she appoints one of us to on some occasions), during/after cooking, whoever did the cooking made sure the kitchen stays neat,that way there are no dirty plates in the kitchen.

When you put the dishes in a dishwasher, you don't see them.

When you have a husband and kids, you will have to turn on the dishwasher every day because it gets full every day, so there will be no piling up of dishes.

No hands can wash dishes and clothes as clean as washing machines and dish washers. And dish washers and washing machines save more water.

Like you said, different strokes ...

3 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nihilist: 8:06pm On Nov 03, 2014
adebisicutie:

Lmao heavy duty machines ke, na the washing machine they use at dry cleaners or what grin. Do you know what it would take to overload the industrial generators used by these apartments? Do you know you are been always advised against under utilizing it. Do you think one uses all these gadgets at once? When the power goes off my washing machine stops and picks up once it's back on and completes the washing. It's obvious you don't know anything g about these things you are saying so let's call it a day. Let me go and switch on my washing machine grin

Oh so it's now about underutilising industrial generators grin

Who 'underutilises' a generator in this day and age of energy conservation?

Anyway, Good day to you too madam.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by KingTom(m): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:
I have noticed that a woman is mostly expected to suffer before she is referred to as a good wife or sweet mother.
The story or picture of a sweet mother is usually one who suffers so much for so long.

One funny thing is that any technological innovation that aims to make womens life easier is strongly resisted and women who use these called lazy.

Funny thing those complaining will always rush technological gadgets like they phones they use to comment. They will use calculator instead of calculating with their brains yet it doesnt make them lazy. They will have the newest cars, instead of bicycles or treking like their likewise hard working fathers and ancestors. They will use clippers instead of razor as used by grandfathers, they will wear all the desinger wriat watches instead of standing under the sun to check time. They will eat processed food and meat unstead of going to farm for food, hunt for it or fish like their own fathers did.
Here are some most resisted technological innovations

1. Yam pounder: lazy women cant pound common yam for 4 people they cant pound. My mother used to pound for all 3 wives and 38 children without getting tired.

Gas cooker: lazy women, what happened to firewood. Our mothers went 10 kilometres to get firewood yet you want me to spend 4 k every month on gas.

Washing machine: how many clothes are you washing self? My mother had 9 kids and handwashed all their ckothes in the stream

Epidural: this is the height of laziness, if my mother can have 10 kids at home on her own why cant you push out 4 by yourself?

Dish washer: why did i marry you? What will you be doing while machine is washing plates for you? grin
Why don't you go naked like your foremothers undecided abeg go and pound yam for me and my guests jooor but before then get me a beer from the fridge
***Smacks her butt as she leaves***
Be fast with that yam grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by 5minsmadness: 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
Shirley07:

You can leave story. Majority of the men on NL are bad news already.
So are majority of the women on NL. Bad lazy women.

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by dabossman(m): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

I apologise for what i am about to ask, didnt mean to ever get personal till you did.
Last week you started a thread about wives confronting mistresses, so many disagreed with you but did so respectfully. No one even inferred that you may be cheating hence the topic or even bought your wife into the topic yet you started the topic and it ran for 10 pages or so, all clean and respectful. Why now bring peoples husbands to score whatever points because they dont agree with you?

So many people i ignore but you i actually respect, its needless to say the least.

Er, guys, please do not pick issues over my comment. My aim wasn't to denigrate women, but to point out the fact that we should not generalize. There are many women who are happy in their marriages. Good women who are married to good men. But do these good men get any credit. Usually no. However the bad ones get all the publicity.

Man loves his wife, pfft, big deal. Man maltreats his wife. Hell yeah, let's talk about it.

If we take a poll here from married women and find out that most of them consider their husbands to be good, loving men, then why generalize and say most men will say their wives are lazy for wanting appliances like a washing machine, dish washer, blenders, gas cookers etc. How many married women here still go to fetch firewood for instance?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nigerians love suffering and smiling grin as for me I am allergic to suffering. I make money so that my money can work for me.

To each his own, if the good african wives like they can even blend pepper with stone like our grandmothers did. Blenders and such things will make you lazy angry

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

I am the President jare. Before we married ny mother in law visited, she was shocked i had a maid even before marriage and kids and when she said so i told her yes oh, your son got one for me because he said Saturday is for dates and rest not for cleaning, washing and cooking. Na so she look me,matter end, case closed
So what do you actually do aat home?
You have all those appliances and gadgets yet employ the services of a maid?
Isn't it obvious you are too lazy to be a wife?

Whatever works for your home sha is none of my business...

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
jahbiz:
Ok I like your personality. Some immatured Nlanders could have resulted to insult.
Forget that excuse...check her next topic. Her grammar needs help while the hubby buys all at Oladipo. If you women desire all, buy and fund all.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by khiaa(f): 8:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
LMAO @ the topic. grin grin grin
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nihilist: 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
freecocoa:
Still on the dishwasher, I don't like to see used plates after eating that's why in my house, when you are done eating, you wash your plate before leaving the kitchen, growing up, my mum did hers and that of dad(she appoints one of us to on some occasions), during/after cooking, whoever did the cooking made sure the kitchen stays neat,that way there are no dirty plates in the kitchen.

My sister, the dishwater thing ehn?

I've got a dishwasher in my kitchen, that I've never used. A lot of peeps I know here are actually wary of using these things due to the high electric bills....and that's with 24 hour light.

Modernity does not require needless splashing out on electronics you don't need.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Acidosis(m): 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
Life is all about priority.

Some can afford washing machine. Its even cheaper than most flagship phones; yet they prefer to wash with their hands.

One fact about life: You can't have it all smiley Thats the principle of life.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by dabossman(m): 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Did you just open an account in nairaland just recently? Pay attention and read threads often so you will see what i am talking about. Nairaland is one of them. Just relax and start with this one. Like i said earlier, you can only speak yourself. and by the way, my comment didnt tallk about dish washer or washing machine. It talked about other aspects in marriage in case you have forgotten.

My dear, it is easy to talk the big macho talk on a faceless forum like Nairaland. I don't judge the actions of human beings through a faceless forum where men can pretend to be women and vice versa. I judge from dealing with real life people. People I see and interact with closely.

Anybody can come here and growl like a lion, when in reality he/she is a pussycat. Some of these guys are not even married, yet they come to brag about what they can or cannot accept from their "spouses". If you are judging based on NL comments then you are on a long thing.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by free2ryhme: 8:16pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

No oh, the write up is not about women who enjoy doing this oh, its about the need by some to regard technology that helps women as bad while still utilising other benefits of technology. There should be same standard for everyone. If a man thinks washing machine makes his wife lazy then he should also consider a car as a machine for lazy men then trek anywhere he goes too

You are the one mAke up this yeye discord. Noone has argued technology Makes the womAn lazy but u trying to Make up post that gets front page.

There are very few mEn who would wish their wives suffer

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

My Wife Is Seducing Men, Help / 7 Reasons Why Married Men Cheat / My Adulterous Wife Threw Me Out Of My Home And Moved In Her Lover-Ibadan Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.