Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,607 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? (50754 Views)

Tips To Keeping A Good African Man / Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? / Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By South African Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by honeric01(m): 7:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
cococandy:
Dishwasher: check
Washing machine: check
Epidural: check check check. Oh please check. And add whatever else they can find to that.
Yam pounder: check
Food processor: check.

All hail the President of the lazy wives club.

Walking stick: check
Baby backing machine: check
Breastfeeding machine: check
Baby bathing machine: check
Husband servicing machine: check
Underwear wearing machine: check

Hehehe Chairman of lazy wives president I hail o

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
free2ryhme:

You clearly miss the point here. If a woman is happy doing house chores with her hand what's yours in crying wolf

No oh, the write up is not about women who enjoy doing this oh, its about the need by some to regard technology that helps women as bad while still utilising other benefits of technology. There should be same standard for everyone. If a man thinks washing machine makes his wife lazy then he should also consider a car as a machine for lazy men then trek anywhere he goes too

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
adebisicutie:

I live in a Nigeria where generally they give you any Nepa bill they feel like. Adding one or 2 gadgets hardly ever reflects on your bill here, even if you don't use anything that month the bill be be the same. In countries where the electricity bill is high you simply organize your self and do the dishes once a day, do laundry maybe 2xe a week or so. People in the west manage to pay for those things it about organizing yourself. By the way having 3children is a typical Nigerian family

Oh well, since you live in Nigeria, I can't really say much about your unique situation since I don't understand how you lot pay ya bills. I'd say you also probably still live with ya parents.

If you're out here on these streets living alone and, paying ya own bills - you'll get a better picture after messing around with too many gadgets. And the bills slide through the letter box.

Anyway, there's no correlation between "modern" and being wasteful. I'd say the latter is just laziness. It won't cost you anything just to fix a few dishes, while saving money at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by 5minsmadness: 7:09pm On Nov 03, 2014
MadCow1:

It does..

Many people who advocate weathering the storms of a bad marriage do tend to infer that staying in an abusive marriage or relationship is a sign of a good woman when indeed it's not and has led to the death of many, one of such women being my aunt who died in a bad marriage after years of incessant abuse.

Sorry about your aunt. However that is a singular case and you cannot summarise that many who advocate weathering the storms of a marriage are inferring the woman is the only one suffering . you think its only women that suffer in bad marriages? What about men? Have you experienced a really sent from hell stubborn wife? A wife that will give her husband hypertension and heart pains because he just does not know how to control her?

I still think we are veering off the OP's original line of thought vis a vis a good African wife being one who does not require gadgets to lighten her load or one who does no work in the house.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by pickabeau1: 7:09pm On Nov 03, 2014
5minsmadness:

I tire oh! See as the thread quickly degenerated. This wasnt the original line of discussion. Am out, nothing new to learn here.

Na today

From making fun of those who can't afford modern amenities to men as cavemen and now beaters of women.....very sly....

Lol

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
honeric01:

Walking stick: check
Baby backing machine: check
Breastfeeding machine: check
Baby bathing machine: check
Husband servicing machine: check
Underwear wearing machine: check

Hehehe Chairman of lazy wives president I hail o

Now this is what I call clowning grin

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by zigger(m): 7:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
@op dis is the 21st century
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by bamidele029: 7:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
Most Nigerians think physically working or doing things manually is what makes you hardworking . They don't realize that gadgets increase your productivity because you can achieve more in the space of time. Imagine using so much time to pound yam and cook soup whereas if you use the machine the food will be ready in less time and then you can use the remaining time to attend to business or other things. Productivity is the important thing

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
It can only happen in a backward country that people will consider it special that people have washing machines and dish washers and say that someone who has such machines is lazy.

In developed countries even poor people have washing machines. It is minimum standard.

Mtchew ...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by 5minsmadness: 7:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
aisha2:

I am the President jare. Before we married ny mother in law visited, she was shocked i had a maid even before marriage and kids and when she said so i told her yes oh, your son got one for me because he said Saturday is for dates and rest not for cleaning, washing and cooking. Na so she look me,matter end, case closed
Stubborn wife angry
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by bamidele029: 7:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
pickabeau1:

Na today

From making fun of those who can't afford modern amenities to men as cavemen and now beaters of women.....very sly....

Lol
Isn't Madcow who brought up the domestic abuse story a man?

3 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by freecocoa(f): 7:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
bamidele029:

Help me as pickabeau.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by pickabeau1: 7:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
bamidele029:

All part of the theme...

Of course women don't partake in domestic abuse

All for the course

They will run with it now

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 03, 2014
I am a bit lost here. If I can afford utensils which make life easier I am lazy, abi?

7 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 03, 2014
anyman who advocates the above lifestyle for his wife is just a wicked man ... why take life so hardly . the bible envisages long suffering but not this kind of suffering.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by LordReed(m): 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
adebisicutie:

I live in a Nigeria where generally they give you any Nepa bill they feel like. Adding one or 2 gadgets hardly ever reflects on your bill here, even if you don't use anything that month the bill be be the same. In countries where the electricity bill is high you simply organize your self and do the dishes once a day, do laundry maybe 2xe a week or so. People in the west manage to pay for those things it about organizing yourself. By the way having 3children is a typical Nigerian family

When you start to use a prepaid meter you will know the difference one or two gadgets can bring.

5 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by adebisicutie: 7:23pm On Nov 03, 2014
The essence of money is to make your life more comfortable, we have all the gadgets we can afford to make our lives easier. Most people who say this or that is a waste change their tune when they can afford it wink

5 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 03, 2014
dabossman:
From the comments here I'm guessing most of the married women on this thread have uncaring, inconsiderate men has husbands. Wish their husbands would read this thread and learn what their wives think. Hopefully, they will change.

You will be surprised. Just ask them and they will tell you how loving and caring their husbands are.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nashville:

You will be surprised. Just ask them and they will tell you how loving and caring their husbands are.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Oh my! You have fallen into pickabeau's camp

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by dabossman(m): 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Thank God i dnt subscribe to such negative mindset. But deep inside you, you know i am right. My comment is the typical mentality of Nigerians. Be very honest with yourself, have you ever compared any lady or other ladies to your mother before? Have you ever secretly wished ladiies were more like your mother? If yes, you are also guilty. smiley smiley

You see that is where you are wrong. I didn't even want to marry a woman like my mother, and thankfully my wife is not like her. It's not because I don't love my mom, but there are attributes she has which I don't want replicated in my wife. I don't have the grace my dad has.

Now, one thing many of you fail to realize when you make these generalized statements is that bad news sells fast. How many women go about telling their friends and family members about every good thing their hubby does? How many spend hours on end telling their friends "oh, hubby helped me with the dishes yesterday, he gave the kids a bath and put them to bed while I did the dishes, he helps with the laundry from time to time, he even cooks dinner regularly, etc" Probably not many. You know why? Good news doesn't sell. Your friends would probably end up irritated if you keep telling them how sweet your husband is every chance you get. They'll probably be like "what is she feeling like? na only she go get husband? mtschewww"

However, the bad news, oh that sells like wildfire. They all want to hear how much of a brute your husband is. They will sympathies with you when you complain about how uncaring and inconsiderate he is. They want to hear about how he leaves you with all the chores, compares you to his mother and generally paints the picture of a "typical Nigerian man". And when you are done lamenting to them, they go on and tell their other friends about your brute of a husband. And everyone has the chance to go like "hhm, men, they are all the same"

Bad news sells dear. The good men hardly get any credit, but the bad ones hug all the headlines. Maybe you should try taking a poll to find out how many women love their husbands and think he is very considerate and helpful before drawing such general conclusions.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by gatiano(m): 7:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
i almost spilled my gust out laughing. my grandmama and my mama ate nice foods, my grandmother was a superwoman. todays' ladies (not woman) are overfed and drunken with "majele adesina" and "gimobola", they are not as strong as they are suppose to be. now that she will make pounded yam for one day, and i will be doing massage for one week without the other regular. let her just cook majele gimo and adesina, we eat that for a while and we die. life is simple.

aisha2:
I have noticed that a woman is mostly expected to suffer before she is referred to as a good wife or sweet mother.
The story or picture of a sweet mother is usually one who suffers so much for so long.

One funny thing is that any technological innovation that aims to make womens life easier is strongly resisted and women who use these called lazy.

Funny thing those complaining will always rush technological gadgets like they phones they use to comment. They will use calculator instead of calculating with their brains yet it doesnt make them lazy. They will have the newest cars, instead of bicycles or treking like their likewise hard working fathers and ancestors. They will use clippers instead of razor as used by grandfathers, they will wear all the desinger wriat watches instead of standing under the sun to check time. They will eat processed food and meat unstead of going to farm for food, hunt for it or fish like their own fathers did.
Here are some most resisted technological innovations

1. Yam pounder: lazy women cant pound common yam for 4 people they cant pound. My mother used to pound for all 3 wives and 38 children without getting tired.

Gas cooker: lazy women, what happened to firewood. Our mothers went 10 kilometres to get firewood yet you want me to spend 4 k every month on gas.

Washing machine: how many clothes are you washing self? My mother had 9 kids and handwashed all their ckothes in the stream

Epidural: this is the height of laziness, if my mother can have 10 kids at home on her own why cant you push out 4 by yourself?

Dish washer: why did i marry you? What will you be doing while machine is washing plates for you? grin

1 Like

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Oh my! You have fallen into pickabeau's camp

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin It's about time I resigned from the family section.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by adebisicutie: 7:28pm On Nov 03, 2014
When I start using pre paid meter I'll simple organise when I use my gadgets and switch off things once I'm done. It's about controlling how much electricity you consume e.g I would use the washing machine to wash but I won't use it to dry in order to save electricity, since it's almost always sunny in Nigeria I'll hang the clothes on the line instead. That is the general idea you plan your life, people using it in the west pay even higher rates yet they manage. By the way my gadgets save me the headache of having a maid, so I have saved money on that front. I'm the one who handles electricity bills so I'm saying this from practical experience .

Another thing is a lot of Nigerian homes have maids so maybe they don't need those gadgets. Me I prefer to have my gadgets and do my things myself

4 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nashville:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin It's about time I resigned from the family section.

grin grin grin grin grin grin Please don't, I really like your objectivity. Let's just say there are as many men bashers on NL as there are women
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by pickabeau1: 7:29pm On Nov 03, 2014
dabossman:
From the comments here I'm guessing most of the married women on this thread have uncaring, inconsiderate men has husbands. Wish their husbands would read this thread and learn what their wives think. Hopefully, they will change.

Maybe the hubbies are guests on NL too so its a way of passing the message

Who knows.... undecided
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 03, 2014
moca:
@freshdud2, so many of them out there, so many of them.
One refused to carry his son(son he has been killing d wife for.as if to say wifey produces baby sex)when wife wanted to start biz again just for a sat so she can equip her shop after pregnancy and omugwo thing.

That she should get baby carrier ,enter public transport to balogun(he has a car).

Very wicked man.
Even d day i went to see baby, on his arrival,see the very cold welcome he gave me. I quietly knew it was time to take my leave.
Wifey called later to apologize. Said she brought it up and he dismissed it, not until wifey told him i gave baby a very surprising gift did he start mumbling sorry. Pls call her and tell her i didnt see her(lol)

So yes, many(not generalising) r doing that.

That brother sounds stuck up. He seriously needs a re-orientation. He can show love and still be masculine. I'm the most playful father but my son knows the where the scorpion's venom is and he knows enough to not elicit a sting.
Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Aitee1: 7:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
moca:
How can one open leg to a man who dey panel beat her?
I mean, how do they do it?

I dont know if i should blame culture or religion or both for d woe that befall women in this part of d world sad
Beating a pregnant woman?
Im not surprised. My cousin beat his own to stupor(8months)bc of his mom.
Wifey fainted and mama left her and went out. Though that episode reset d guy's head sharp sharp.

Blame it on religion!!!

2 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
adebisicutie:
The essence of money is to make your life more comfortable, we have all the gadgets we can afford to make our lives easier. Most people who say this or that is a waste change their tune when they can afford it wink

Nah, those of us who grew up with these gadgets, and know they're readily available wherever you move to are just telling you that these gadgets don't make you "modern." The only reason why you're attaching so much importance to them has more to do with primitiveness and 3rd world mentality.

So, if you can fix things without them, while saving money at the same thing, just do that. There's absolutely nothing special about them, unless you're the wasteful and lazy type.

3 Likes

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
dabossman:

You see that is where you are wrong. I didn't even want to marry a woman like my mother, and thankfully my wife is not like her. It's not because I don't love my mom, but there are attributes she has which I don't want replicated in my wife. I don't have the grace my dad has.

Now, one thing many of you fail to realize when you make these generalized statements is that bad news sells fast. How many women go about telling their friends and family members about every good thing their hubby does? How many spend hours on end telling their friends "oh, hubby helped me with the dishes yesterday, he gave the kids a bath and put them to bed while I did the dishes, he helps with the laundry from time to time, he even cooks dinner regularly, etc" Probably not many. You know why? Good news doesn't sell. Your friends would probably end up irritated if you keep telling them how sweet your husband is every chance you get. They'll probably be like "what is she feeling like? na only she go get husband? mtschewww"

However, the bad news, oh that sells like wildfire. They all want to hear how much of a brute your husband is. They will sympathies with you when you complain about how uncaring and inconsiderate he is. They want to hear about how he leaves you with all the chores, compares you to his mother and generally paints the picture of a "typical Nigerian man". And when you are done lamenting to them, they go on and tell their other friends about your brute of a husband. And everyone has the chance to go like "hhm, men, they are all the same"

Bad news sells dear. The good men hardly get any credit, but the bad ones hug all the headlines. Maybe you should try taking a poll to find out how many women love their husbands and think he is very considerate and helpful before drawing such general conclusions.

Yes Bad news sells. But that doesnt change the fact that this is the same unhealthy mentality the typical nigerian has and holds on to. Its everywhere. Just a handful of people dnt have such mentality. lets be truthful o. you are only speaking for yourself o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being A " Good African Wife"= Suffering? by salt1: 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
bamidele029:
Most Nigerians think physically working or doing things manually is what makes you hardworking . They don't realize that gadgets increase your productivity because you can achieve more in the space of time. Imagine using so much time to pound yam and cook soup whereas if you use the machine the food will be ready in less time and then you can use the remaining time to attend to business or other things. Productivity is the important thing

Where do you people manufacture your figures from? Where did you discover your "most Nigerians?"
Why do people like you and the op enjoy coming up with your statistics? Where is the educated husband who wants the wife to cook with wood-fire? Do you know how long my family has been searching for a yam pounder to buy? Because no one has the stamina to pound the yam to a smooth consistency, we have suspended eating pounded yam. It is even fattening, which is an additional disincentive.

I imagine that you're not living in the country and are harbouring a view of Nigeria that no longer exists. The topic is an insult to the average Nigerian middle-class family. We don't need this sermon

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

My Wife Is Seducing Men, Help / 7 Reasons Why Married Men Cheat / My Adulterous Wife Threw Me Out Of My Home And Moved In Her Lover-Ibadan Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.