Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,812 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? (7348 Views)

Poll: Governor Fashola approval poll

I approve: 83% (98 votes)
I disapprove: 6% (8 votes)
I don't know: 10% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Lagosians, Is JK Still OK? / Ayobo/ipaja Road Under Construction: Is Fashola Working Or Not? / Is Fashola Over Celebrated? Or He Is On Vacation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by OscarJ1(m): 6:47pm On Nov 20, 2008
But why are you guys praising the man for what he is employed/appointed/elected/selected to do? The man is just doing what ordinarily should be his job description as a governor. It is only in Nigeria that public office holders are celebrated for doing what they are suppossed to do.

What else is he f*#cking there for other than to fix the roads, the street lights, hospitals, etc?

I second. word man!
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by anonimi: 6:49pm On Nov 20, 2008
bodsibobo:

But why are you guys praising the man for what he is employed/appointed/elected/selected to do? The man is just doing what ordinarily should be his job description as a governor. It is only in Nigeria that public office holders are celebrated for doing what they are suppossed to do.

What else is he f*#cking there for other than to fix the roads, the street lights, hospitals, etc?

May I amend that slightly to read: he is only doing a very tiny bit of what he is paid by us (u & I) to do.
When will we wake up and ask these Looters-in-Power (LiPs) to work like we do in our offices and businesses before we earn our pay
Is this not the same man buying GBP25m ship for hotel in the name of tourism? For all  the manypriorities wey dey for ground?
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by delegiwa(m): 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2008
OBVIOUS:

Based on Nigerian standards (which is pretty low), Fashola has done well thus far. He could do more but I wouldn't label him "messiah" or anything like that.[color=#990000][/color] He is doing what he was hired to do anyways and soo far soo good.

I think the poster used "Messiah" for effect and not that Fashola is the very saviour we are waiting for.  Why are we really blaming the people praising Fashola for doing his assigned job?  We all know that the norm in this country.  You get elected and you use 90% of your state's allocation for your personal "runs" and share the other 10% between your cronies and grading roads; so that when someone comes along and use 20% for the state's job and 80% for his personal "arrange" (which is far better), he's crowned the Messiah.

But let the truth be told, if these politicians can just plough 50% of the state's money into the state's affairs, a whole lot of difference will be evident but you and I know that it aint going to happen.  Not soon though.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On Nov 20, 2008

I think the poster used "Messiah" for effect and not that Fashola is the very saviour we are waiting for. Why are we really blaming the people praising Fashola for doing his assigned job?

I am not in anyway blaming these people for praising the man. For all I know, these people have never really experienced better or do not understand that they are the BOSS in this case and so this sort of behaviour is not suprising. BUT, is this what we want to continue with? Are we then going to continue sitting back and waiting for people like fashola who have some level of respect for the relationship that exists between employer and employee? If Yes, then we will continue to get that which we deserve. We will definitely get more of the bad and some of the good employees. However, the day we realize that we are in charge here, we might actually help in converting more of the bad employees into good ones by simply making sure they understand what is expected of them and face the consequence should they refuse to abide. Which will it be for the people? Continue to shower praises and glory on the few who are simply doing what you pay them for Or change and demand that they ALL do what they are paid for or get lost.

We all know that the norm in this country. You get elected and you use 90% of your state's allocation for your personal "runs" and share the other 10% between your cronies and grading roads; so that when someone comes along and use 20% for the state's job and 80% for his personal "arrange" (which is far better), he's crowned the Messiah.

Is the norm in the country supposed to continue being the norm? I don’t understand how we can want change but at the same time continue to point out the norm as the way it ought to go. Can you really see change where you are not willing to embrace change? The reason we have continued to have that “NORM” is because we the people of Lagos, have become sort of beggars looking for the scraps from the tables of those we hire to work for us. Why else would you explain why those who you point out above get elected( HIRED BY US) and then turn around and steal everything from us while we sit and watch, hoping to get at least some scraps from them?

But let the truth be told, if these politicians can just plough 50% of the state's money into the state's affairs, a whole lot of difference will be evident but you and I know that it aint going to happen. Not soon though.

You and I do not know anything. I am sorry, I do not agree. I will not settle for politicians who loot 50% or even 1%. I do not want that and will not settle for such. I will not be an enabler to corruption, no matter how prevalent.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Builder: 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2008
How sad!!!, that just goes to show the Deterioration of trust we have of our leaders to the extent that if the selected leader in question remotely does anything to improve the standard of the people he is meant to serve and protect he is seen as a "messiah" WHAT A COUNTRY.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by server34(m): 8:42pm On Nov 20, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am not in anyway blaming these people for praising the man. For all I know, these people have never really experienced better or do not understand that they are the BOSS in this case and so this sort of behaviour is not suprising.

For all I know, u may not have tasted elsewhere as much as some of us have. So stop blabbing. Praising the man for doing good doesn't mean we do not recognize that good is the norm.

When an 'slowpoke' starts to talk an act normally, should we not praise and encourage him? Or we should just keep quiet because 'after all, all humans ought to act normal'?

Excuse my analogy if it doesn't fit. Just get the point.

Builder:

How sad!!!, that just goes to show the Deterioration  of trust  we have of our leaders to the extent that if the selected leader in question remotely does anything to improve the standard of the people he is meant to serve and protect he is seen as a "messiah"  WHAT A COUNTRY.

How many people have called him a 'Messiah'? Just the poster.
What a country? The same country you are from, and the same country we are trying to make better. With minds like Fashola, me, and many others, we can do it.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by OLADO(m): 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2008
To be Sincere Fash is working Hard
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2008
OLADO:

To be Sincere Fash is working Hard

No questioning the above . . .

Taken from  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-195700.0.html

We must be honest, transparent, and stop paying eye service and lip service to the best practices of work ethics, values, and virtues of a better Nigerian society.

Leadership is best by example.
We must not compromise with bad people or bad leaders.
We must reject bad people and bad leaders.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Iobafemi(m): 9:35pm On Nov 20, 2008
He is really doing his very best to make lagos the 'HOME', Could be better though!!!!!!!!!!!The blue rail line is another lofty work of his that will benefit Lagosians and Visitors(when Completed and operational).

Lets keep praying for him, for God's divine intervation and direction, We will sure get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by RibaduFan(m): 10:33pm On Nov 20, 2008
baba ni fashola. Fashola for president. I love that man.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by courage89(m): 11:06pm On Nov 20, 2008
Kobojunkie:

You and I do not know anything. I am sorry, I do not agree. I will not settle for politicians who loot 50% or even 1%. I do not want that and will not settle for such. I will not be an enabler to corruption, no matter how prevalent.

@ Kobojunkie
My brother, what are you doing to change the situation?

We are living in a society where corruption takes front seat. EFCC, ICPC are not doing enough to curtail / reduce the prevalence of corruption. We are all clamoring for change, in terms of security, infrastructure, education, power …and Fashola has proven to be progressing in all these section. According to Herzberg motivation – hygiene theory, he concluded that “factors involved in producing job satisfaction (and motivation) are different from the factors that lead to job dissatisfaction (hygiene)”. He mentioned achievement, recognition, growth, advancement, growth as some of the motivating factors. I believe Fashola has exceeds our expectation, therefore we need to recognize his achievement for this to motivate him, and other governors to push for success as well.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by phartye(m): 11:06pm On Nov 20, 2008
All of una don try! embarassed Eko O Ni Baje O. grin
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Nov 21, 2008
courage89:

@ Kobojunkie
My brother, what are you doing to change the situation?

Ordinarily speaking out against people settling for just anything is part of doing my part to change the situation. Even though I do more on my part, fact remains that to change things, we need to change minds one at a time and starting here is part of the work needed.

courage89:

We are living in a society where corruption takes front seat. EFCC, ICPC are not doing enough to curtail / reduce the prevalence of corruption.

We live in a society where corruption takes front seat simply because the masses want it and accept it that way. It is that simple. You can argue that it is more complicated than that but I don't buy that at all. How do I know this? Because people like you and I still give bribes to any and every one to asks for it. People like you and I still look the other way, instead of speaking out to the end against injustice and corruption. I can go on and on but the fact is, it is simple! Society is carved by the people and we the people have allowed it to come to this.

The EFCC, ICPC can only do so much and the reason is simply because at the end of the day, their EMPLOYERS( we the people) make the ultimate decision on how far they can go and how much they can do.

courage89:

We are all clamoring for change, in terms of security, infrastructure, education, power …and Fashola has proven to be progressing in all these section.

Isn't that his job? Isn't that what we employed him to do as state governor?

courage89:

According to Herzberg motivation – hygiene theory, he concluded that “factors involved in producing job satisfaction (and motivation) are different from the factors that lead to job dissatisfaction (hygiene)”. He mentioned achievement, recognition, growth, advancement, growth as some of the motivating factors. I believe Fashola has exceeds our expectation, therefore we need to recognize his achievement for this to motivate him, and other governors to push for success as well.

I am glad he has exceeded your expectations and I have no qualms with that. Only that some of us expect more and that is acceptable as well. Other governors who are not doing their jobs are simply not doing their job and so ought not to continue as governors.

I really wish you understand what I am saying here. On another thread, I remember someone listing Improved ventilation Pit Toilets are some of the achievements of their state governor. Can you imagine a governor getting adulation and being labeled “ the people's messiah” for such things as digging pit toilets in schools? If you can, maybe you get an idea of what I think when I hear people praising this same man in this way for doing his job.

Now, I am not in anyway saying that this Fashola man is not doing the job he was hired to do, well. What I am saying is that maybe it is time for us to start seeing things as we ought to. We are their employers and they are our employees. They are being PAID to do their job. I mean we have people who praise a man for not robbing the state, heck for not taking it all. I remember being involved in a discussion, late last year, on Yar adua's 2 terms as governor of Katsina state. You should read how people came up with words like HONEST, GOOD, HARD WORKING, MAN OF GOD etc. to describe this man. Why? Because, he did not steal from the state(so they said), never mind the fact that the man barely accomplished much in his 8 years as governor of the same state.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Saddam: 1:16am On Nov 21, 2008
Mr. Fashola Is trying But, He needs to work harder, anyways more ororo 2 his elbow
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by roodest: 2:21am On Nov 21, 2008
Oh please. Fashola is only doing his job.
He was *elected* by *us* to serve US!
Though I commend his administration and approve its proactive engagement in the issues of the State, I beleive we are only scratching the surface and the light at the end of the tunnel is still far off.
Let's not move faster than our legs can carry us here.

First the basics, structured shelter; defined transport system; proactive security measures, etc etc
Fashola's administration sure is headed up that steep slope of development. even though it's been crippled to a large extent by our federal centralized system (nationally). However, it's a good start. Relatively, quite some changes in over a year plus.

However, let us remember that we have not reached *Canaan* yet. Let's keep walking, shall we
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Nobody: 3:15am On Nov 21, 2008
Kindly elaborate on what u call the 'normal standard', and how fashola is not meeting up to your terms.

I just hope you dont get me wrong this time around.

Nigerians are not used to their leaders going as far as Fashola is going, and that makes him look like a "messiah" to you guys.
However, i may be wrong in trying to justapose him with other leaders i have seen work in other parts of the world. I've seen leaders who are so selfless, physically unnoticeable yet their works are like the "hurricane katrina". I met quiet a handful in my recent visit to poland and while in china; they dont make much noise, they simply do the job perfectly as if they were cut out for the job right from birth. Their people dont get over excited knowing that their leaders are doing the exact job they were given to do. For this reason, i dont blame some nigerians terming fashola as the messiah; they have gotten used to leaders who dont even have a clue why they are at the helms of state affairs in the first place. The worst part is that nigerians have no physical bases to compare his passion, strength and work.

Given the vast resources of lagos state and much needed to be done, Fashola has not come near to my expectations. He will be a disaster in the countries i mentioned, just like how Akala is to nigeria. But if he is supposed to be rated according to the nigerian standard; he is perfect. After all, in a country of the blind; a one eyed man will always be the king. cool

Who no know, no go ever know. wink

If you fail to do this before the end of today, I'm afraid u have just called yourself a 'joker'.

If you drink and sleep nairaland, i dont. tongue
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by adconline(m): 3:21am On Nov 21, 2008
Remember he still has got more years to in office so lets not over praise this man. Imagine praising him for fixing pot holes on Abeokuta express. The point is that  he's got more roads to build. I mean from thick jungle to a well  tarred express  way, not resurfacing an existing road which is less expensive and easily provides a photo up for political stunts.
Kobo you are right on the spot, but someone who's never had a  sense of what real good government is will never understand your views. No politician has really established a clear bechmark  for good governance, so every little photo up commands a lot of praises. I remembered OBJ going to commission an unfinished road  project for some governors.
I would want us  to see it this way ; if your dad constantly provides for  your family would you be overly surprised that he is carrying out his fatherly duties ? Even from biblical perspective, a Messiah is the one who would come and release people from bondage, I wonder if Fashola can fit in this mode. Lets watch out word.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by grafikdon: 3:58am On Nov 21, 2008
He is a ''Messiah". . . a one-eyed 'Messiah' in the land of the blind, deaf, dumb and imbecilic.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by Emilo(m): 3:59am On Nov 21, 2008
People keep using d word has done a good job pls tell me what he has really done dat has touhed d mases he finished d Brt scheme started by Tinubu and he is improving places like ikeja,ikoyi,v.i places dat are already doing fine,why are they not working on Aj,Festac,Orile,Ijora and d likes
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by congoshine(m): 7:39am On Nov 21, 2008
delegiwa:

Is this supposed to be a correction or another insult(s) grin

I hate it when people can't differentiate between the two . grin
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by cabali(m): 7:57am On Nov 21, 2008
Fashola is phenomenal. It is unbelievable the brother's drive!!

People are happy to pay tax these days cos of what they see going on! he's gat my vote anytime
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by princekevo(m): 8:45am On Nov 21, 2008
I tire for my people ooo.Please from all you have mentioned here is it not wht a tax payer should enjoy for goodness sake.That why he was elected.Though we can underestimate him doing the right thing,at the same time wht he has done is jst the primary objectives as the governor of the state.We want to see him doing more than that.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by coolsegun(m): 9:11am On Nov 21, 2008
@all
he should be encouraged to do more. anyway he has promises during his campaign on what and what to do, for doing those things, i think he should be encouraged after all some promised to declare state of emergency in power sector and nothing is heard again and the power has finally gone beyond reach now.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by fyneguy: 9:45am On Nov 21, 2008
@emilo

Have you been to these places you mentioned? I work in Apapa and I've seen what this guy is doing at Iganmu, Orile, Ijora, Apapa etc

Please lets get our facts right!
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by kumbalo(m): 10:21am On Nov 21, 2008
But why are you guys praising the man for what he is employed/appointed/elected/selected to do? The man is just doing what ordinarily should be his job description as a governor. It is only in Nigeria that public office holders are celebrated for doing what they are supposed to do.

i tire o

Messiah? As if they money he uses in doing them were his
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by ehie007(m): 11:29am On Nov 21, 2008
Am still not impressed with Fashola, he hasnt done much or anything in the real surburbs areas, like, Alimoso, Agege, Abule-egba, and the likes, those are the ones i know of, with the tax he collects from people in these areas, nothing to show for it, even the roads they are doing in these areas are below quality, they have all worn off during the rain season, why cant he use his construction company(HI-TecH) to do all the roads in Lagos, regardless of the areas.

you give Juliuis berger to do all the roads on the Island/Yaba, then you give fake contractors to do roads in the surburbs areas, who come and do rubish and eat money.

so to me fashola hasnt impressed me in any way, BRT are not plying everywere, they are not enough,

i score him very low,
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by angelina08(f): 11:33am On Nov 21, 2008
Yes He is the expected messiah we have been expecting in Governorship of Lagos State.
We Lagosians know how others governors rule Lagos without fulfiling their promises. But now we have find a good Messiah in Lagos State and that is Fashola.

I called him Messiah in Lagos State while because, he helps to suppling of good road, Hospitals, Schools, BRT Boxes, etc.

I Love his way of Governoship.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by carmelily: 12:25pm On Nov 21, 2008

I really wonder. Nigerians sef.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by oluwdashmi(f): 1:32pm On Nov 21, 2008

@ bodsibobo
Let me ask you this question. Have you ever asked yourself why people get promoted at work for being committed? Afterall they are appointed for such purposes. When you say 'thank you' to your driver, maid, security, okada man etc, does it mean you are a fool? NO!!!!!!
It simply means you are appreciating that person for not failing you or trying to please you and also to encourage him.

Now your answer.
Yes, he was elected for these purposes but if he doesn't do them, what can you do? Have you any power to remove him from power? Those who have ruled in the past or still ruling in other states and doing nothing for their states, what do people do but to what and see 2 terms past in vain.

This is why you appreciate a person for doing what he is appointed to do. One more thing, be objective whenever you are passing a judgment because it may be a seed that you will reap when you also get to such positions.
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by ernal(m): 1:59pm On Nov 21, 2008
Most people on here will do better as Praise Song singers,better than KWAM 1.

Fashola was elected n entrusted with the whole State money,no be him money,his role is to do justice with it,thats why he is being paid,the offical cars,the offical house,the whole offical allowances,abeg stop all the song praise,make una go governor house with una drums

I know a million people here in Nigeria who will perform better than BRF.him do well but no be him money
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by ernal(m): 2:04pm On Nov 21, 2008
@ poster

Yes, he was elected for these purposes but if he doesn't do them, what can you do? Have you any power to remove him from power? Those who have ruled in the past or still ruling in other states and doing nothing for their states, what do people do but to what and see 2 terms past in vain.

If him no do am,we go sack am i mean am,i go sack am,this is democracy,not military rule.Its all about the people.Shebi u won hear Thank You!ok! Fashola thank U oooooooooooooo
Re: Lagosians: Is Fashola The Expected Messiah? by hedges007(m): 2:18pm On Nov 21, 2008
Take it or you leave it,"A man who does no hard job will never know the value of rest"[/b]. [/color] Any way we want to look at it, even people in diaspora are hearing at least the little little good things happening in Lagos and they are giving kudos to Fashola. For all i care, of course we all know he was elected to do the job, but what if he chose not to do as expected, the same masses will still grumble.Either we call it his job or not, state money or not, the fact remains that, other governors were given equal opportunities  both in the past and present, but its quite obvious, he is trying to make the best use of his opportunity. Nigerians, we must learn how to appreciate a good effort and a well thought out plans when we see one. Lets praise our politicians or leaders when they are on the right track, not only to criticise them when they messed up. We don't expect Lagos to become paradise within 2 years.

Eko oni baje!!!
Niajaaaaa I belonnnnnnnnnnng[/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

INEC Screens Out 300,000 Ineligible Voters, To Publish Register Today / Amaechi Is Miles ahead of Wike(pictures) / I Made $500m From Oil Block, But Didn’t Know How To Spend It — Danjuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.