Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,653 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos (126896 Views)

Italian Embassy Lagos Is The Most Corrupt Embassy In The World / The Canadian Embassy Lagos- Study Permit: / How To Book Appointment At South African Embassy,lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Muscomide: 1:11pm On Nov 06, 2014
Nigerians, humiliating themselves before the White man since 1914.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by EbolaParasite: 1:22pm On Nov 06, 2014
holamiday:
I don't understand your reasoning. I'm not saying i can't apply for a visa or i can't go to America. I'm saying i can't go as far as begging the interviewer for that visa.

& mind you, i'm not even sure i know what a visa lottery is.

Your post would have been excellent comeback and would have shut me up IF AND ONLY IF you had excluded that last line. you don't know what visa lottery is abi? There is God oooo
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by EbolaParasite: 1:23pm On Nov 06, 2014
sumbidee:
Well, sometimes, dening people at first visit is always a stategy used by the us consulate to get u wondering y u were rejected and wanting to alter or change ur story or alter an information on ur ds form. Nd if 1 falls to those traps, that ill b a reason for continuous rejections

So they choose to deny you so they can check to see if you will lie the second time? shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by EvilSeeed: 1:24pm On Nov 06, 2014
yemyem2:
Advice please... I was denied US visa in 2008; someone actually filled the application form for me. I havent re-applied since then but intend to apply again next year. Though, i av been to few other countries recently. My problem is i cant remember many of the application form contents back then (initial application;2008). Will this affect my next application? Thanks and God bless

As long as your basic stats have not changed that much (without justifable reasons)..

Examples;

1. Name. (if you are not married, your name should ideally remain the same..)
2. Age.
3. History up until your last application.. So any information you provided in 2008 about your past should still be consistent in 2015 as you cant change the past (eg. School or qualification, old addresses, etc) stuff like that. Things can change from after 2008 like your job or school or address e.t.c..
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by olatunji390(m): 1:30pm On Nov 06, 2014
Jeolight:
I'm still a student collecting my parents allowance. can't afford that now.

Who ask u?
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Backarray(m): 1:44pm On Nov 06, 2014
Looool
geeworld1:
for the 1st tym in 2 years am the 1st to comment (FTC)...am feelin on top of the world ryt nw

ok u guys can comment abt the topic nw
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by brat4222(m): 1:57pm On Nov 06, 2014
Hello All,
Pls forgive my ignorance. who can qualify to stand as part sponsor for an MSc in US? I can raise part money on my own but not all of it. I work and married with a kid. can I ask a friend with a good bank account or must it be a direct relative?
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Tunagee(m): 2:09pm On Nov 06, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Actually, they do.

Many Western countries want people from all over to come to their country....and even become citizens....especially as the population is getting older...and their young people are not having any children.

The catch is....you have to be the right sort of person to enter their country. You have to especially show that you would be a contributor to their economy.....not a drain on their economy.

So, want to live in the US? Work hard, train hard, fight easy at the visa portal.

They are all mad in the US Embassy and also silly.Do they think their country is heaven? With all the stupid strict measures preventing people from going into their useless country,there are still very many illegal immigrants there. Our people in this country are just morons and fools. Why would someone be desperate to go to US; gets denied at the embassy then starts begging. They are just disgracing us in this country. Most of our people there are just suffering and indirectly developing their useless economy there. They left their own country here to go become slaves in US or other countries all in the name of what.

If there country was all that better economically, why the hell are the bastards coming to Nigeria to invest. Awon Oloshi!!!

10 Likes

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Tunagee(m): 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2014
holamiday:
What nonsense! I pray throughout my life, i never have to beg someone for the chance to enter another country. I love Nigeria to a fault and i'm not freaked about anywhere else. If i really need to travel somewhere else, for school perhaps, i still wouldn't beg anybody...i'd rather forget about that school.

NIGERIA is the best place to be.

God will continue to bless you for this comment. Our people perish for lack of knowledge. Want to go and die in some stupid contry for what?
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 06, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Your post would have been excellent comeback and would have shut me up IF AND ONLY IF you had excluded that last line. you don't know what visa lottery is abi? There is God oooo
If a visa lottery is analogous to a money lottery, then i know what it is. Otherwise, i don't know what it is. Seriously. grin
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by MsNas(f): 2:34pm On Nov 06, 2014
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by mizzochocinco: 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2014
dammilotun:

Just normal questions like why I wanna go to the USA,why am I going for a course different from my first degree.my plans when I finish in school.That was it.I got it.
where is the picture?
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 06, 2014
dotman2460:
I was there a week back around 6:30am. We all waited patiently for the first interview and hoped that if his/her visa was granted the goodluck would rub off on the rest of us....for where?

It was a lady and her interview took place in booth 7. She claimed that she was going to attend a seminar sponsored by a company she distributes for here in Nigeria. After the VO found her not eligible for the visa, he was about handing over her documents when the lady said, "Oga, please hold on to it, my interview can't be over". Then VO repeated that "you are ineligible", while he was saying this, the lady keep on explaining how many clients she has, how much she makes... vo repeated himself, Lady also repeated her self. At that point everyone laughed so hard. The lady left a few seconds later.

My own unusual experience.

Same day as above. While waiting in line outside, I discovered that I was feeling some fresh air around my toes, on both feet. When I looked down, the sole of my shoe was coming off from the front. Horror!!! I've not even entered the Consulate yet. Why me? With each step I took, more of the sole was coming off, got to a point I couldn't lift my feet to walk, I dragged them, I was already in the interviewing area at this point.

I kept on praying for this little incidence not to cause any visa denial. It didn't. After it was approved, I majestically walked out with half of the sole of my shoe gone. When people waiting outside saw me, there laughed, and I thought within myself......"dey laugh me, make you no go face your own interview"
lmfao choi God saw you through cry

1 Like

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2014
Daresh:

That is not how Delta works. Atlanta is their hub, and they do not go direct to Canada from Lagos. You MUST , I emphasize the MUST, disembark clear immigration, and do a plane switch. You cannot clear immigration without a visa. This is my job, I know how it works. He's a liar
Daresh mama. E Leke jare see BOMB thanks for. The d. Fact
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2014
Greatpooss:
My experience was @ US Embassy, Abuja. I could remember while at the point of interview, just because a person was denied visa, all other applicants were busy running to the toilets in order to join other queue for interview by other interviewers. I couldn't withold tears running down my cheeks when I was denied visa @ the front of the embassy 3times in 2011.
haaa 3times cry
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
i feel inclined to share.... i don't see why getting a US visa is a do or die affair for so many. the truth is that most of the times the consular officers can tell when you're lying and when you don't intend to return.

i just happened to be interviewed by a guy who grew up in the very same small town (this is a very tiny town down south, imagine the odds?)i was intending to visit and somehow overheard someone call him John. in the course of time after my arrival, i met this old guy who got into a conversation with me and asked where i was from and i told him and he was pleasantly surprised and told me he had a son working in the US embassy there.... i asked him if his name was John and the old man almost started crying.... i told him to say thank you to John for me. the John guy was probably my age mate at the time....no more than 24 i think

eventually i came back as planned on the same day as planned and everyone at work was asking me why i returned and i guess with that i got to understand why the embassy officials can be so ruthless in denying people. sometimes these guys ask seemingly silly questions but beware, they are masters in psychology.

while i was being interviewed, some lady next to me was asked "do you intend to come back" she said yes and was given the visa...obviously everyone would say yes but the answer to that question lies not in what you say but in what your body language tells the interviewer and body language interpretation is a pretty accurate science these days.

p.s i live i a different African country

5 Likes

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 06, 2014
rallymento:
My experience at the US embassy in Ghana...........
Consular: why do wanna travel?
Me: my pastor said I will be given an American visa.
Consular: your pastor?
Me: Yes
Consular: lemme see your documents
Me: ok,have it.
Consular: where is ur statement of account
Me: I don't have any
Consular: why?
Me: because I serve a living god!
Consular: well mr. Namadi I don't believe in god but come to .......... in Accra to pick up ur visa.
Me: ok, thanks
................na so my people
pics of your visa or it didn't happen

1 Like

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 06, 2014
EvilSeeed:

As long as your basic stats have not changed that much (without justifable reasons)..

Examples;

1. Name. (if you are not married, your name should ideally remain the same..)
2. Age.
3. History up until your last application.. So any information you provided in 2008 about your past should still be consistent in 2015 as you cant change the past (eg. School or qualification, old addresses, etc) stuff like that. Things can change from after 2008 like your job or school or address e.t.c..
Thanks a lot...God bless u. But am afraid, there is a problem here. My passport then doesnt bear my real dofb. My present passport which i recently got after the old one expired is right on my dofb. I dont just know the way out of this. Any subsequent advice will be appreciated pls. I think i was so naive back then.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by EbolaParasite: 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2014
holamiday:
If a visa lottery is analogous to a money lottery, then i know what it is. Otherwise, i don't know what it is. Seriously. grin

Let me humour you. visa lottery = greencard visa lottery. If you still claim you don't know what it is then THERE REALLY IS GOD OO CHAI

1 Like

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by EbolaParasite: 3:33pm On Nov 06, 2014
AncientJerk:
i feel inclined to share.... i don't see why getting a US visa is a do or die affair for so many. the truth is that most of the times the consular officers can tell when you're lying and when you don't intend to return.

i just happened to be interviewed by a guy who grew up in the very same small town (this is a very tiny town down south, imagine the odds?)i was intending to visit and somehow overheard someone call him John. in the course of time after my arrival, i met this old guy who got into a conversation with me and asked where i was from and i told him and he was pleasantly surprised and told me he had a son working in the US embassy there.... i asked him if his name was John and the old man almost started crying.... i told him to say thank you to John for me. the John guy was probably my age mate at the time....no more than 24 i think

eventually i came back as planned on the same day as planned and everyone at work was asking me why i returned and i guess with that i got to understand why the embassy officials can be so ruthless in denying people. sometimes these guys ask seemingly silly questions but beware, they are masters in psychology.

while i was being interviewed, some lady next to me was asked "do you intend to come back" she said yes and was given the visa...obviously everyone would say yes but the answer to that question lies not in what you say but in what your body language tells the interviewer and body language interpretation is a pretty accurate science these days.

p.s i live i a different African country

You have a point. I want to correct a few things though. The VO's are not masters in psychology. They are regular individuals with training. It doesn't take an expert to know that 95% of Visa applicants to the USA (regardless of country) wouldn't return home if they have bad/financial circumstances back home. If i am a VO and you come to me for an interview and you work at say maybe a presidential/federal agency in Abuja, exxon, chevron, shell, total, all the well known companies in Nigeria - and you make good money, you would have to say something practically stupid or have a very dark past for you to be denied.

On the other hand, if you work for some other company and earn 50 to 100k per month, the odds that you will stay in the US if you see a good opportunity are very high. You would have to show that you have something in Nigeria that will prevent you from staying in the US

That said, even people who make big bucks in Nigeria sometimes do not return so it is not easy task.

3 Likes

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by grandstar(m): 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2014
[quote author=yemyem2 post=27778576]
Thanks a lot...God bless u. But am afraid, there is a problem here. My passport .... FIRST explain the discrepancy to the vo. state you were desperate to travel then but not anymore and you're sorry for lying.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by deniyor: 3:58pm On Nov 06, 2014
ElijahFobs:
I was denied january 17 dis year...I was not bothered and d nxt tin i did was to apply for canada visa n it was granted...so i made my trip to ontario via Delta airline n had stop over in atlanta in US..so my dream of goin to america was achieved... dem denied me buf I stil enta deir land witout dem visa.

You need a us transit visa to go through us. Or so I think
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Ezebinaugwu(m): 3:59pm On Nov 06, 2014
holamiday:
Don't worry, by God's grace that phase will soon pass away. May God keep you.
Amen
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by tlops(m): 4:25pm On Nov 06, 2014
I dont need visa to go to d US.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by NeuroBoss(m): 4:26pm On Nov 06, 2014
Nogen:

Il y a des gens qui comprennent et parlent bien français monsieur. Racontez - nous de ton expérience à l'ambassade américaine s'il vous plaît! grin

Des gens comme nous. Son expérience ne vaudra pas mieux que celles dont nous avons lus de la part de nombreux nairalanders.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by EvilSeeed: 4:32pm On Nov 06, 2014
yemyem2:

Thanks a lot...God bless u. But am afraid, there is a problem here. My passport then doesnt bear my real dofb. My present passport which i recently got after the old one expired is right on my dofb. I dont just know the way out of this. Any subsequent advice will be appreciated pls. I think i was so naive back then.

Please check Nairaland Travel thread well..

Their is a guy that works at the Embassy that has a thread here where he answers all these questions..

2 Likes

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 06, 2014
CFCfan

Fulaman198

grin why una dey dodge this thread ? Oya oo come and gist us.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Drdreluv: 5:50pm On Nov 06, 2014
Pls what is de process for applyin or hw do i goo about it wanna move to canada so many fake agent in town
ElijahFobs:
I was denied january 17 dis year...I was not bothered and d nxt tin i did was to apply for canada visa n it was granted...so i made my trip to ontario via Delta airline n had stop over in atlanta in US..so my dream of goin to america was achieved... dem denied me buf I stil enta deir land witout dem visa.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 06, 2014
datalossvictim1:
CFCfan

grin why una dey dodge this thread ? Oya oo come and gist us.
Well, I've never had any funny experience at the Consulate in Lagos. I applied for my last US visa in 2005; the interview wasn't particularly a tough one.

I was only asked the name of the secondary school I attended, the profession of my sister in the US, and my reason(s) for traveling.

Then my visa and that of my father was approved.

1 Like

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by otiigba1(m): 6:05pm On Nov 06, 2014
try this one my wife(oyibo) works in that American Embassy in nigeria and she tells me that it does not matter what Documents you bring with you, wether fake or genuine, if she wants to approve your visa she will or not, every visa issued out depends on your interviewer to make decitions, some times if they dont like your face they will deny you a visa, "no be me talk am oo!"" grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 06, 2014
CFCfan:

Well, I've never had any funny experience at the Consulate in Lagos. I applied for my last US visa in 2005; the interview wasn't particularly a tough one.

I was only asked the name of the secondary school I attended, the profession of my sister in the US, and my reason(s) for traveling.

Then my visa and that of my father was approved.

Aawww cute story.
Re: Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos by Pamcrest(f): 6:33pm On Nov 06, 2014
Daresh:

That is not how Delta works. Atlanta is their hub, and they do not go direct to Canada from Lagos. You MUST , I emphasize the MUST, disembark clear immigration, and do a plane switch. You cannot clear immigration without a visa. This is my job, I know how it works. He's a liar

Precisely! In addition in Atlanta,, u must also retrieve yr luggage n check it back in. I don't think u can transit into US soil without a (transit) visa, unless yr country doesn't need entry visa...like d Canadians he mentioned. Moreover airlines won't airlift u without d appropriate entry docs!
My humble submission

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / General Austria Study/visa( Process And Requirements) / From The Streets Of Warri To Finland: My Story

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.