Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History (27330 Views)

The Liars Are At Work, Trying To Confuse Us Of Our History, Wake Up!!! / Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East / The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by thoth: 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2014
anonimi:

I normally don't abuse people but every now & then as with all rules you make an exception.

You are such a demented fool swimming in your pool of ignorance.
We yorubas have the word, eru that means slave.
That word is different from omo odo i.e. house help.

You are quite wrong in your assumption though i would blame you for being short sighted, Yorubas also have words for TV,Radio, Train and airplanes despite not having these prior to their introduction by the Europeans, igbos even have a word for earthquake despite such phenomena being impossible to occur in Africa.

What the OP was trying to infer was that Slavery as we come to know it is not an African concept and by that it is wholly a European concept. From the same line of thought it would be absurd to assume that Africans would have a word for something which they've never encountered.

Common sense is all you need to see the truth in OP's proposition, we never had slavery if the Afro-European atrocities is to be defined as such, since such barbarism does not exist in Africa prior to the European encounter you cannot put what Africans practice (call it anything you like but not slavery) under the same classification.

It becomes laughable even downright insolent to force the narrations of the perpetrator on the victims of such atrocity, if it does nothing it removes the burden of guilt or in this case spreads it further away from the oppressor,in this unpeculiar situation whereby the oppressor and the Victor are one and the same it is naturally expected since he holds the first say to blame the victims for his atrocities, in the African case where the atrocities committed by the European is enormous and therefore undeniable all he could do therefore was to share the blame with his victims.

At first they tried to put the blame on the victims by saying that they civilized Africa, that Africa was savagely before they came, such narrative seems not to hold with enlightened Africans though in wholly colonized country like Nigeria such is still believed.
then they stated that they brought Christianity and education as if Africans have no religion or a form of education before them.

the idea of Africans selling slaves is another punch in our collective consciousness of our African identity and if not for wholly colonized and Christianized nations all over Africa such arguments would not have existed.

Anyone who accepts the European Narrative of their African sojourn is either an I.diot or a very Evil fellow not worthy of company.

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
letu:
macof do you even know that Arabs of pre-Islam era, their history and origin are highly rooted in the Kushit/Hamatic civilization eg east africa.

Well I don't know much about that, I never liked Arabs

Anyway I was jst trying to get those supporting the Op eg. Rosikke to see that oral history and books tell of Africans keeping slaves even before Europeans came to Africa
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 4:26pm On Nov 18, 2014
GenBuhari:
Does the fact that some Africans adopted Islam automatically mean that Arabs conquered Africa? I think not. If adoption of religion is proof that a nation is conquered then why did India and Arabs countries that were ruled by Britain not adopt Christianity?

Stop letting these European Devils write our history for us.

And whenever there is anything in our ancient history that is positive, then they would ascribe that to Arabs or to themselves rather than giving our ancestors the credit.

You just make sweeping unsubstantiated statements backed by no evidence other than the facts that some parts of Africa practise Islam.

Sure, when u accept a foreign religion you have put their culture as superior to urs

Only slaves dump their ancestral worship system for a strange foreign one

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2014
macof:

Sure, when u accept a foreign religion you have put their culture as superior to urs

Even worse is when you drop your meaningful, historical African name and in exchange take a vain name of a foreign culture.

But a correction about worship. They did not bring a new God, for Christianity. They just introduced a new way of worship. You would note the name of the supreme/Creator God acknowledged by Africans remained the same in all tribes.

I once attended an ancestral worship religion? Creepy, esp when they start addressing the dead directly.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by letu(m): 8:59pm On Nov 18, 2014
GenBuhari:
But where is the evidence?
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 12:26am On Nov 19, 2014
I did at one point give a definition of slavery as being a slavery system that has been written into the law of the land. Europeans had written slavery into their law but no evidence has been found that Africans had written slavery into their law prior to the advent of Europeans.
thoth:

Exactly, i was trying to get OP to define slavery so that his arguments might stand out. i think he fell into the trap of linguistical distortion. Will he just make a clear definition of slavery and pull references on its nature as was witnessed by Africans in the hands of Europeans, it would be almost impossible for any sane human to link Black Africa with slavery.
His refusal to do so gave room to the filth that some European apologist posted above.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 12:33am On Nov 19, 2014
muafrika:
Even worse is when you drop your meaningful, historical African name and in exchange take a vain name of a foreign culture.

But a correction about worship. They did not bring a new God, for Christianity. They just introduced a new way of worship. You would note the name of the supreme/Creator God acknowledged by Africans remained the same in all tribes.

I once attended an ancestral worship religion? Creepy, esp when they start addressing the dead directly.

And wats wrong with addressing the dead? Many movements are underway on the possibility of using modern technology to communicate with the dead
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 12:41am On Nov 19, 2014
It does not necessarily follow that the adoption of religion is always due to being conquered and enslaved.
There may be other reasons. I can speculate that perhaps all it requires is for a very influential African leader to convert to Islam and spread his influence.
macof:

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 8:54am On Nov 19, 2014
GenBuhari:
It does not necessarily follow that the adoption of religion is always due to being conquered and enslaved.
There may be other reasons. I can speculate that perhaps all it requires is for a very influential African leader to convert to Islam and spread his influence.
I never said adopting foreign religion is due to enslavement..whether physically enslaved or not it's a sign of mental slavery to adopt a foreign religion that has nothing to do with ur race or ethnicity, it's totally wrong..u have jst placed ur culture as inferior

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by thoth: 10:03am On Nov 19, 2014
GenBuhari:
I did at one point give a definition of slavery as being a slavery system that has been written into the law of the land. Europeans had written slavery into their law but no evidence has been found that Africans had written slavery into their law prior to the advent of Europeans.

Househelps of various degree is accepted in the Nigerian law but slavery is not , to my understanding both class are human beings whom in one form or another bound and obligated to serve another supposedly equal(in rights) human being. If the Nigerian constitution is to make such distinction between forms of the same class and it will be altogether right if you were to define slavery with its characteristics and what it means to be a slave, from that platform will anyone who choose to oppose you make his arguments.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 19, 2014
Why would we not place our culture as inferior after hundreds of years of colonialism.
macof:

I never said adopting foreign religion is due to enslavement..whether physically enslaved or not it's a sign of mental slavery to adopt a foreign religion that has nothing to do with ur race or ethnicity, it's totally wrong..u have jst placed ur culture as inferior
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 4:07pm On Nov 19, 2014
GenBuhari:
Why would we not place our culture as inferior after hundreds of years of colonialism.

Actually before colonialism, Africans have accepted Islam and christianity in large numbers, killing themselves over different religions and betraying their people, colonialism was jst icing on the already prepared cake
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 19, 2014
macof:

And wats wrong with addressing the dead? Many movements are underway on the possibility of using modern technology to communicate with the dead
My cultural background is deep in the relations between the living and the dead, and am glad the culture is gradually fainting because it can get oppressive, especialy for people who treasure their peace of mind.

If we are going to discard foreign things, lets not pin point just religion, which (Christian) is not even originally European as we are neck deep in a very unAfrican worldwide political, social and economic system.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by thoth: 5:36pm On Nov 19, 2014
macof:

Actually before colonialism, Africans have accepted Islam and christianity in large numbers, killing themselves over different religions and betraying their people, colonialism was jst icing on the already prepared cake

which part of Africa accepted Christianity before colonization ?
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 10:09pm On Nov 19, 2014
thoth:

Southern Nigeria...particularly Niger delta region and Igbos
Bini kingdom already had hundreds of Christians before colonialism, Infact one major factor to the empire's fall was disloyalty to the Oba and disunity among the Edos in Bini caused by their new found differences
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 10:18pm On Nov 19, 2014
muafrika:
My cultural background is deep in the relations between the living and the dead, and am glad the culture is gradually fainting because it can get oppressive, especialy for people who treasure their peace of mind.

If we are going to discard foreign things, lets not pin point just religion, which (Christian) is not even originally European as we are neck deep in a very unAfrican worldwide political, social and economic system.

religion is the major factor here, it's the greatest hindrance to a super Africa devoid of European and middle eastern sire
It's gone so far that Africans now bring up crazy and obviously false ancestral links with Arabs and Hebrews

Christianity might nt be originally European but it's no Judaism, that line between the two was created by Romans

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 12:16am On Nov 20, 2014
Are you sure you are African?

What of person argues so strongly to discredit their own ancestors?
macof:

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 20, 2014
macof:

Bini kingdom already had hundreds of Christians before colonialism, Infact one major factor to the empire's fall was disloyalty to the Oba and disunity among the Edos in Bini caused by their new found differences

Igbos? Hmmm...

I knew Christianity had made some impact in Egbaland (largely due to returnees from Sierra Leone) before colonization of that part of Africa.

Igboland though. This is new and strange to me.

Anyway, better examples of parts of Africa that were fully or partly Christian before the colonial era would have been Ethiopia, the Kingdom of Kongo, the kingdoms of Benin and Itsekiri, etc (although Christianity had basically died out in the last three places before colonization in the late 19th century).

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by thoth: 6:29am On Nov 20, 2014
macof:

What Niger Delta had was people who could speak pidgin English due to earlier contact with the white man and not really converts, they killed a couple of missionaries and the colonial masters retaliated by destroying many villages and imprisonment of many elders, after that they decided to become non conformists by just ignoring the missionaries , the colonial masters replied by forced education whereby children and some adults were forcefully taken to school to learn the Cathcheism and parents who objected were imprisoned.

Niger Delta before colonialism was heavily saturated with many Deities associated with Water and those play a very crucial role on how they interprete their society.

The Bini Kingdom was one which even during colonialism had very little to do with Christianity and that reflects in their lives to this day, the distrust and insurrections that weakened the Bini empire has nothing to do with Christianity but actually has more to with many sovereign kingdoms whom were dominated,taxed and ordered about by the Bini Kingdom, remember till the Brits came Igboland has fought a really long war with the Binis and eventually settled on a tax to be paid to the Oba to avoid further wars, Olauda Equiano also mentioned that in his book. What happened was that to weaken the Bini Empire the Brits encouraged those kingdoms to disregard the Oba, stop paying taxes and confront the Binis based on promise of protection from the British Empire.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2014
thoth:

Egypt(orthodox), Ethiopia, (The portugees were already in East and South Africa by 1450s), though for trade reasons, they could have converted a few natives. They had a bad rep with the locals though, esp in the East coast.

Actually, the late 19th Century colonialists sent missioneries(I think they were spies) first who then wrote back and "advised" their govts to colonize the lands they visited in the guise of security, stopping slave trade, etc. (This continent was subdued by the power of the pen.) The flag followed the cross.

Then Companies like the British East Indian Company followed and tricked Kings and leaders to transfer their lands to the UK crown unknowingly.

The nail on the coffin was the colonial govts conversion, by law, of all lands into property of their Kingdoms. The pen was a colonial weapon against Africa. This is an era of the pen. The one who rules on paper dominates.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by thoth: 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2014
muafrika:
Egypt(orthodox), Ethiopia, (The portugees were already in East and South Africa by 1450s), though for trade reasons, they could have converted a few natives. They had a bad rep with the locals though, esp in ………….

Yeah i knew about Ethiopia and Egypt but i really doubt that with the style the Europeans entered Black Africa that black Africans will just convert without serious incentives. Anyway the majority has to forced.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by gatiano(m): 9:08pm On Nov 20, 2014
The europeans told the devil a lie, and the devil got so sad, he wasn't the best liar afterall. the europeans had turned devil into what he is not, and the devil could not dispute it because it turned out that they made his character so holy and pure that the devil was overwelmed. the devil ask them who are you gracious people? They answered, we are actually not gracious, we lied, lie is what we do, it is our daily endevour, we are satan, we have nothing but a time period to live, so we intend to spoil everything lieing. they said, so we got a righteous man named Jesus, and few others before him and after him, we and put our faces right on their characters, it is the most effective weapon against the black and the darker people. The devil was like woooow! "Europeans can lie" exclaimed the devil, the europeans replied, they said what? we are you devil, and you are us. ever since the devil has been looking for an escape route.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 9:55pm On Nov 20, 2014
thoth:

What Niger Delta had was people who could speak pidgin English due to earlier contact with the white man and not really converts, they killed a couple of missionaries and the colonial masters retaliated by destroying many villages and imprisonment of many elders, after that they decided to become non conformists by just ignoring the missionaries , the colonial masters replied by forced education whereby children and some adults were forcefully taken to school to learn the Cathcheism and parents who objected were imprisoned.

Niger Delta before colonialism was heavily saturated with many Deities associated with Water and those play a very crucial role on how they interprete their society.

The Bini Kingdom was one which even during colonialism had very little to do with Christianity and that reflects in their lives to this day, the distrust and insurrections that weakened the Bini empire has nothing to do with Christianity but actually has more to with many sovereign kingdoms whom were dominated,taxed and ordered about by the Bini Kingdom, remember till the Brits came Igboland has fought a really long war with the Binis and eventually settled on a tax to be paid to the Oba to avoid further wars, Olauda Equiano also mentioned that in his book. What happened was that to weaken the Bini Empire the Brits encouraged those kingdoms to disregard the Oba, stop paying taxes and confront the Binis based on promise of protection from the British Empire.
killed a couple of missionaries And the European nations from where the missions came did nothing?
This is very unlikely as the raid of Bini by the British in 1897 was due to the killing of some British men

You should know the pope sent various messages to Different Obas at Bini, if christianity wasn't strong why would the pope send messages to the King?
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by macof(m): 9:57pm On Nov 20, 2014
Radoillo:

Igbos? Hmmm...

I knew Christianity had made some impact in Egbaland (largely due to returnees from Sierra Leone) before colonization of that part of Africa.

Igboland though. This is new and strange to me.

Anyway, better examples of parts of Africa that were fully or partly Christian before the colonial era would have been Ethiopia, the Kingdom of Kongo, the kingdoms of Benin and Itsekiri, etc (although Christianity had basically died out in the last three places before colonization in the late 19th century).

Bini did give in to Christian missionaries even long before colonization, I remember reading Oba Eseige sending the high priest of Olokun to Europe on a mission to bring active Christian evangelism to Bini
one might suspect all that was a ploy by the Oba to gain the Portuguese trust, after they had rejected to form agreements with a pagan nation but point is Edos were already converting to a foreign religion out of the desperate need and blackmail of the Europeans
I won't comment on igboland, u are Igbo afterall.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by thoth: 10:11pm On Nov 20, 2014
macof:

killed a couple of missionaries And the European nations from where the missions came did nothing?
This is very unlikely as the raid of Bini by the British in 1897 was due to the killing of some British men

You should know the pope sent various messages to Different Obas at Bini, if christianity wasn't strong why would the pope send messages to the King?
i stated that they retaliated.

Remember there was this competition between the Roman Catholic church and the Anglican Church. The Anglicans being favored by England as it is the state religion and the Catholics trying to make headway anyhow possible, so if certain bribes and beautiful messages exchanged hands then i will just take it as business.

Mind you in almost all these kingdoms the Rulers represents the fulcrum between the people and their religious belief, so to say that a few converted can be accepted but saying that the Oba himself converted is something else.
Just the kind of JuJu the present Oba with his Christian first name and many years after colonialism invokes will tell that after long period of dilution the Juju is still strong, now imagine the Obas of those times. grin
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by kingston277(m): 2:47am On Nov 21, 2014
GenBuhari:
Africans never traded slaves all slaves were kidnapped by the white man at gunpoint.
For the first couple of decades the Europeans first arrived.

GenBuhari:

People should start analysing the history they are given about Africa, was the history not given to us my the white man that colonised us.
Defiantly, but most are too lazy to question why their history is being taught to them by malevolent foreigners.

GenBuhari:

Our people who are descendants of those stolen from Africa, must stop believing they were sold.
Oh, we were sold alright, the important question is why?

GenBuhari:

During colonial days all Africans were considered slaves by the white man not just those shipped abroad. Why a slave master would buy slaves from their own slaves.
True but it wasn't relevant to Africans themselves at the time, Europeans never referred to them as slave to their face.

GenBuhari:

Why would the white man buy something that he could just simply take by force?
As I said, they first started out doing that, but got their a.sses handed to them by the African naval forces, so they had to turn to establishing trading posts.

GenBuhari:

A simple bit of questioning and deeper thinking and analysis would soon lead one to conclude that the lie that Africans traded slaves is just not credible, especially when you remember that it is the white man's history that Africans at home and abroad were taught.
It has been confirmed from both parties that slaves were sold. The real fraud is the alleged reason why they sold so many slaves. We know slaves were traded for guns, mirrors and booze, but are those really the real incentive they traded slaves or is that just anti-African propaganda. Note that there hasn't been a single quote or expression of opinion from the African people themselves during the time about the issue.

GenBuhari:

Africans were victims of genocide we never considered ourselves as slaves. We never agreed to be slaves so we reject the label of Slave. We are victims of genocide and those who called us slaves better stop using that term to describe us. It is derogatory and painful to hear. Let them stop reminding us of the genocide the committed unless it is to apologise or pay reparations.

Why do they not refer to the english being slaves of the Roman's or the jews being slaves of the nazi's .Well white man must stop wounding Africans by gloating at the genocide you committed, by constantly mentioning a genocide that you are refuse to apologise for.

Call me slave and I would call you slave back - Nonsense!!

update: 15th November 2014
If you do not hear from me in the next few weeks it probably because NL has banned me because I cannot stop saying that Ebola and HIV are hoax designed to ultimately lead us into fearfully rushing to take vaccines that would depopulate us. If the vaccines do not kill you directly it would make you infertile preventing you from reproducing.

Be rest assured that all the doctors and nurses reportedly killed by Ebola in Nigeria are paid actors who are laying low and enjoying their money as we speak.

These are the evil European and American enemies that we are allowing to write a shameful and dishonourable history for us.
Second this. But the sale of slaves needs to be acknowledged aswell, and looked into further.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 21, 2014
thoth:

Yeah i knew about Ethiopia and Egypt but i really doubt that with the style the Europeans entered Black Africa that black Africans will just convert without serious incentives. Anyway the majority has to forced.
I would say it was, subtly by combining school, and other social amenities like dispensary with church. To get into one, one needed to be "baptised" and, of course, adopt a European name. We still have those European first names, though I do not see it very often in W. Africa.

All this gained more after the establishment of their govts and introduction of a tax system using European currency, forcing increase of demand for their money, qualified by cultural uptake which was woven around religion.

Christianity in its purest form can adopt to ANY culture. It was just unfortunate that these and other invaders manipulated it into a cultura - politico weapon. Its human nature to corrupt even the best of ideals for their selfish purpose.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Sheenor: 10:16am On Nov 22, 2014
#FACT
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Horus(m): 8:06pm On Nov 22, 2014
Africans must rebel against the lies and ignorance created by the European which keep the minds of African people imprisoned and their spiritual strength weak. To make it plainer, the only rebellion the African masses can win at this time is a mental revolution, which will put the African masses in mental power. Then they will have the power to do anything else that may be necessary for complete liberation and well being.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by kingston277(m): 10:25pm On Nov 22, 2014
HumbledbYGrace:
^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks

Op I think you need to read, do a lot of reading or atleast visit your villages Maybe you can find some information there?

And we still have history repeating itself! Are you a nigerian? How many people sell their children into slavery abroad for money Everyday

The rituals

Slavery didn't come with white men please.

Shakazulu often made slaves the hostage he seized from wars and most of them were his kinsmen unless I am wrong somewhere?

See black people are not stupid. I still repeat, we tell our own stories, white men came with an easy way of sharing it that's all.

There is no evidence anywhere that any African society sold their own kinsmen, only neigbours they went to war with each other.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 22, 2014
Bwahaha... My ribs hurt for laughing out loud! What do you expect of it? When Africans aren't educated and intelligent enough to tell their true histories yet want to blame the white people for doing them some service my telling them at all. Please....
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by kingston277(m): 10:49pm On Nov 22, 2014
Radoillo:

OK. This part is clear. But why would you think Africans had to already have an existing internal slavery (and I believe they did have an internal slavery system, albeit small - but let's agree they didn't) before they could be driven by gain to capture and sell slaves to Europeans?
There was a large internal slave system going on, they even enslaved some Arabs and even Europeans in the 11th century as well as other Africans. It was this large, well established system that Europeans joined in on an gradually took control of over time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary / African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.