Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East (26838 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 2:48am On Sep 09, 2012
and other foreigners.....

We must treat our own people as well instead of bowing down to foreigners and trying to copy them. Our country, Nigeria, is the biggest offender of lacking originality and being traditional. Many people look down upon tradition as if it is some kind of a plague, do you really want your children and your childrens' children to wear a Western mask and be Westernized? Ask yourself...

Many of you probably don't care, this is why I can't marry a Nigerian woman, even if I am Nigerian. I just can't have a wife goading my future children to become Westernized and White washed. It is not going to happen. I won't allow my future children to speak English better than their native tongue(s), and I won't have them frowning upon African tradition(s) as if it is some plague.

BTW, to all the Coconuts, coconut thread is that way >>>>>>>>>>>

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2012
they want their children to become this:

[img]http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2003/03_Marzo/03/fg/RIO.jpg[/img]

infact Nigeria already has its carnivals which we copied from them, except for now it is not obscene. its already happening in some parts of Japan:

Japan SAmba carnival:

[img]http://photoguide.jp/pix/albums/japan/people/sexy/000-IMG_7650.jpg[/img]

Nigeria is still in transition phase :

it wont be long before even our woman go half-clad in the streets and our men jump around like clowns. .

we are not yet at their stage.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by TerryCarr(m): 1:25pm On Sep 09, 2012
Brazil it not the west
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:28pm On Sep 09, 2012
TerryCarr: Brazil it not the west

well i guess it originated in the west. somehwere in venice or so and was brought to brazil by portuguese and other colonisers. it is certainly NOT a Native-Amerindian custom.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by TerryCarr(m): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2012
you should see Angola grin
Using the data from the 1983 census of Angola, Portuguese is both the official and predominant language, as it is spoken in the homes of almost half the population and as a second language by many more throughout the country. Of the 60% Portuguese native or fluent speakers, half could speak only Portuguese, while the other half spoke a Bantu language as a first or second tongue. In the exclave of Cabinda, however, many people speak French as well as, or better than, Portuguese, but in any case a majority speak Kikongo dialects as first or second language.

According to the census referred to above, more than 50% of the Angolans speak Bantu languages as their first languages, and a tiny minority Khoisan languages, while some 15% speak them as second language. Here again the real figures are somewhat higher, although younger urban generations are moving towards the exclusive or largely dominant use of Portuguese. The most spoken Bantu languages are (by order of importance) Umbundu, Kimbundu, and Kikongo (all of these have many Portuguese-derived words). The Angolan Bakongo who have lived for a long time in the Democratic Republic of the Congo usually speak better French and Lingala than Portuguese and Kikongo. The few Cubans who have remained in Angola as a consequence of the Cuban military involvement (or the development cooperation in education and health) speak Spanish, but their descendants (almost all of them from mixed marriages) have not held on to it. Africans from Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal speak English, French, and their native African languages, aside from Portuguese. A select number of Angolans of Lebanese descent speak Arabic and/or French. The foreign language mostly learned by Angolans is English[citation needed].

Angola is quite anomalous in Africa as a country where the colonial language has become a vernacular language and even largely displaced the indigenous languages. One reason for this might be that the colonisation of Angola started as early as in the late 15th century and ended in the 1970s, while most of Africa came under European rule during the 19th century and obtained independence in the 1950s and 1960s.
they don't have a stereotypical "African accent" it sounds more Latino but it could be just the ones who have Portuguese as there first language I'm not sure smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHb4R3ntnc&hd=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2012
Carnival began in the caribbean first of all and mind you it has roots IN AFRICA..so stop making yourself look mad stuppid trying to say that by admiring something OTHER BLACK PEOPLE who are not African are doing, that Africans are going to somehow lose their culture.

last time i checked YOUR ANCESTORS were running around naked...so its no surprise that same tradition is mocked in carnival.

African influences on carnival traditions
Important to Caribbean festival arts are the ancient African traditions of parading and moving in circles through villages in costumes and masks. Circling villages was believed to bring good fortune, to heal problems, and chill out angry relatives who had died and passed into the next world. Carnival traditions also borrow from the African tradition of putting together natural objects (bones, grasses, beads, shells, fabric) to create a piece of sculpture, a mask, or costume — with each object or combination of objects representing a certain idea or spiritual force.

Feathers were frequently used by Africans in their motherland on masks and headdresses as a symbol of our ability as humans to rise above problems, pains, heartbreaks, illness — to travel to another world to be reborn and to grow spiritually. Today, we see feathers used in many, many forms in creating carnival costumes.

African dance and music traditions transformed the early carnival celebrations in the Americas, as African drum rhythms, large puppets, stick fighters, and stilt dancers began to make their appearances in the carnival festivities.

In many parts of the world, where Catholic Europeans set up colonies and entered into the slave trade, carnival took root. Brazil, once a Portuguese colony, is famous for its carnival, as is Mardi Gras in Louisiana (where African-Americans mixed with French settlers and Native Americans). Carnival celebrations are now found throughout the Caribbean in Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada, Dominica, Haiti, Cuba, St. Thomas, St. Marten; in Central and South America in Belize, Panama, Brazil; and in large cities in Canada and the U.S. where Caribbean people have settled, including Brooklyn, Miami, and Toronto. Even San Francisco has a carnival!

you type on a computer, drive cars, speak English and have the NERVE to talk about eradicating western influence. LOOOOOOOL!

Don't get me wrong, I am DOWN for cultural preservation but this fake azz xenophobic attitude you have FULAMAN is hilarious esp. since you are yourself an example of being white washed. grin

Again, rid yourself of all things western including your computer and raise your kids to be as your ppl were in the ancient days. Simple.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 09, 2012

^^those are not nigerians lol.
those are caribbean girls. grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2012
TerryCarr: you should see Angola grin...

it was because of the slave trade terry.

angola is where the first afro brazilians and caribbeans came from, again as early as the 1600s. what was done to that country is a result of one of the worst things that have happened in human history.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by solomon111(m): 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2012
WTF!
But i kinda understand where fulaman is coming from.Unfortunately it's already late.
We've sold our culture for peanuts.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Carnival began in the caribbean first of all and mind you it has roots IN AFRICA..so stop making yourself look mad stuppid trying to say that by admiring something OTHER BLACK PEOPLE who are not African are doing, that Africans are going to somehow lose their culture.

last time i checked YOUR ANCESTORS were running around naked...so its no surprise that same tradition is mocked in carnival.

are you st.upid (yes you are.) and please dont lie on public forum. it does not look good.

Carnival is a festive season which occurs immediately before Lent; the main events are usually during February. Carnival typically involves a public celebration or parade combining some elements of a circus, mask and public street party. People often dress up or masquerade during the celebrations, which mark an overturning of daily life.

Carnival is traditionally held in areas with a large Catholic and, to a lesser extent, Eastern Orthodox makeup. Protestant areas usually do not have Carnival celebrations or have modified traditions, such as the Danish Carnival or other Shrove Tuesday events.

The Lenten period of the Liturgical year Church calendar, being the six weeks directly before Easter, was marked by fasting and other pious or penitential practices. Traditionally during Lent, no parties or other celebrations were held, and people refrained from eating rich foods, such as meat, dairy, fats and sugar. The forty days of Lent, recalling the Gospel accounts of the forty days that Jesus spent in the wilderness, serve to mark an annual time of turning. In the days before Lent, all rich food and drink had to be disposed of. The consumption of this, in a giant party that involved the whole community, is thought to be the origin of Carnival

[b]Carnival was introduced to the Cape Verde Islands by the Portuguese [/b]who settled there bringing along Catholic festivities and traditions to the uninhabited islands. The pre-Lenten celebration is considered one of most colorful carnivals of Africa and is celebrated in each of the 9 inhabited islands of the archipelago

In India, Carnival is celebrated on a grand scale in the state of Goa. In Goa, Carnival is known as 'Intruz' (from the Portuguese word Entrudo, an alternative name for Carnival), and the largest celebration takes place in the city of Panaji. The Carnival is unique to Goa in India, and was introduced by the Portuguese [/b]who ruled over Goa for over four centuries.

Dominican Carnival is celebrated in most cities and towns in the Dominican Republic. [b]It is believed that this celebration was brought by Christopher Columbus when he came to America. The Christians would let their slaves have some diversion so that they got the "wild" out of their system, but also the slaveowners would enjoy this festivities
. The colony of Santo Domingo was the first place in the Americas to show a pre-Lenten costume, i.e., carnival.

Although Carnival was introduced by the Spaniards and has incorporated elements from the European cultures, [/b]it has managed to re-interpret traditions that belonged to the African and Amerindian cultures of Colombia.

The Carnival of French Guiana is a major aspect of the culture of that country. [b]Although its roots are in the Creole culture
, everyone participates – mainland French, Brazilians (Guiana has a frontier with Brazil) and Chinese as well as creoles.

my ancestors never roamed naked. i am Hausa. i agree some tribals do roam around with leaves and loincloths due to climate, etc., but BY THE GODS, none of them would ever do this with se.xual intentions as is done in the carnivals.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 5:37pm On Sep 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
they want their children to become this:

[img]http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2003/03_Marzo/03/fg/RIO.jpg[/img]

infact Nigeria already has its carnivals which we copied from them, except for now it is not obscene. its already happening in some parts of Japan:

Japan SAmba carnival:

[img]http://photoguide.jp/pix/albums/japan/people/sexy/000-IMG_7650.jpg[/img]

Nigeria is still in transition phase :

it wont be long before even our woman go half-clad in the streets and our men jump around like clowns. .

we are not yet at their stage.

What a huge disgrace, Nigerians even copying Carnival now ke, such a shame. Always copycating

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 5:38pm On Sep 09, 2012
solomon111: WTF!
But i kinda understand where fulaman is coming from.Unfortunately it's already late.
We've sold our culture for peanuts.

Thank you exactly
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA

im stuuuppid but you just proved my point.

your momz should have gone through with the abortion lol.

it began in the caribbean. carnival itself is from a spanish word which we know as "carnivore" in english. they brought festivities which was 100 percent religious and FAR more conservative but the spirit of and method of celebration was African in origin.

I am not asking you nor that clown fula, i am telling you about MY history. Carnival as you see it and as we know it is an African invention.

[size=18pt]Only a bigot with an agenda will ignore THE OBVIOUS.[/size]

Enter the hypocrite Fulaman and his r3tarded side-kick Pagan.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 5:46pm On Sep 09, 2012
So what I'm getting from this is that Carnival is a Western ceremony
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2012
Fulaman198: So what I'm getting from this is that Carnival is a Western ceremony

that is what you want to get lol.

because you have an agenda.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 09, 2012
Christopher Columbus is the first known European to reach Trinidad, on July 31, 1498. He saw nearby Tobago, but didn't touch land there. Carnival in Tobago and Trinidad is a blend of two points of origin: the festival heritage from West African countries, and the two days of Christian celebrations before Ash Wednesday and the dietary prohibitions of Lent. The former was brought by enslaved Africans, the latter by European settlers, in the 18th century. So Europe contributed the religious theme of two meatful days, in preparation for 40 meatless; and the social themes of costume dress, masks, and refined socializing. [size=18pt]And West Africa contributed the boisterous, colorful, exuberant, joyous dancing, music-playkng, and singing in the streets.[/size]

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_brought_carnival_to_Trinidad_and_Tobago#ixzz25zYwbwlz

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 09, 2012
not trying to promote tribalism.

*edited*
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2012
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by TerryCarr(m): 7:21pm On Sep 09, 2012
Carnival came from Europe
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:02pm On Sep 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin: PAGAN 9JA

im stuuuppid but you just proved my point.

your momz should have gone through with the abortion lol.

it began in the caribbean. carnival itself is from a spanish word which we know as "carnivore" in english. they brought festivities which was 100 percent religious and FAR more conservative but the spirit of and method of celebration was African in origin.

I am not asking you nor that clown fula, i am telling you about MY history. Carnival as you see it and as we know it is an African invention.

[size=18pt]Only a bigot with an agenda will ignore THE OBVIOUS.[/size]

Enter the hypocrite Fulaman and his r3tarded side-kick Pagan.

dude just shut up.the things you write is so worthless. the masks used are the same ones found in Venice. Africans hardly added anything , except maybe the drums , the Candombe, and their dark skin. angry

stop taking credit for something that is clearly not yours in origin.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyN82x5_hjM

grin grin

you are a nutcase. trinidad carnival was not the first carnival. it was the dominican one as i said above. stop posting videos of what suits you.

P.S. at 2:40 mins, in the video, are your people humping each other?? wow your carnival is so good. i am jealous of your gayness tongue
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2012
Please bro Pagan9ja and Ms.Darkskin, let us be civil and act civil in this thread.

Like all my threads, this thread is about cultural awareness and telling Africans it is time to wake up and stop giving up their culture in favour of other cultures. Africans have such low self-esteem already (some) and you want this to continue Ms.Darkskin? That is why I am upset with you when you promote African cultures to become more Westernized. Basically you are telling them to give up something that they should be practicing in favour of something that is not theirs. Please try to see this from not just your own side.

Not everyone wants to become Westernized, why should we have a world where everyone acts Westernized or white? We are our own people, we are not followers. Is that what you want us to be?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2012
Fulaman198: Please bro Pagan9ja and Ms.Darkskin, let us be civil and act civil in this thread.

Like all my threads, this thread is about cultural awareness and telling Africans it is time to wake up and stop giving up their culture in favour of other cultures. Africans have such low self-esteem already (some) and you want this to continue Ms.Darkskin? That is why I am upset with you when you promote African cultures to become more Westernized. Basically you are telling them to give up something that they should be practicing in favour of something that is not theirs. Please try to see this from not just your own side.

Not everyone wants to become Westernized, why should we have a world where everyone acts Westernized or white? We are our own people, we are not followers. Is that what you want us to be?

ok Fula, i will discontinue now. wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 9:16pm On Sep 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

ok Fula, i will discontinue now. wink

Thanks my bro

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by MrsChima1(f): 11:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
Did this fool say unclad is part of "western" society?

Early Africans were NOT WEARING much clothing compared to the "westerns" and in fact the "westerners" imitated the unclothedness from Africa! grin grin grin grin

Early Africans arts shown men wearing "loin cloth" to cover their private areas and some women were half wrapped and some were wearing bras and "sarongs". Much skins were uncovered because of the environment and Native Americans were wearing furs and animal hides to protect their skin against cold environment.

The fact the Africans are wearing "modern" and "full clothing" are actually imitating the "west". grin grin grin grin Please Africans do not bow down to the "West" make sure you keep the East (China) off your backs and resources. grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 12:53am On Sep 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you are a nutcase. trinidad carnival was not the first carnival. it was the dominican one as i said above. stop posting videos of what suits you.

P.S. at 2:40 mins, in the video, are your people humping each other?? wow your carnival is so good. i am jealous of your gayness tongue

actually that came from Africa.

I am not the nutcase who is in denial that the feathers, masks, gyrations and drumming in Caribbean Carnival came from africa. The headdress and the bikinis WERE FIRST present in the Trinidadian Carnival. I am NOT asking you that! That is why Trinidadian Carnival is the most known and gets the most credit. The Africans there were more flamboyant than they others in the other Islands and Brazil.

There are africans RIGHT NOW who practice the same festivities which gave birth to Afro. Caribbean style Carnival. Who the fck are you to try and tell me about my culture?

Carnival was only influenced by Europeans in terms of the timing and the name of the festivities. But [size=18pt]the marching, dancing, wining, feathers, unclothedness ALL came from Africa. [/size]

A bush fo0l like yourself would ignore the truth and reality. You claim to be so proud of Africa but too eager to deny the not so pleasant side of Africa as according to western ideology - HYPOCRITICAL MUCH? Even when it mentioned the European influence of Carnival NOT ONCE were those people naked and wearing feathers..SO WHO THE FCK INTRODUCED THAT ELEMENT IF NOT AFRICANS YOU DAMN DUNCE?

Our ancestors did not got to the new world fully clothed in the beginning because IN AFRICA that is how they were for the most part and depending on the tribe WHICH AGAIN, MANY STILL CARRY THE TRADITION TO THIS DAY.

Now all of a sudden because it doesn't suit you and fula, unclothedness as a "sin" and "un-African". You think because Hausa's are islamic NOW that you still don't have your native African tendencies?

Like you ppl don't still be boxing with beads and feathers around your waist and shirtless looking like fcking fo0ls? Deny that I dare you!

And you want to front on me? fck off.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 12:56am On Sep 10, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
Did this fool say unclad is part of "western" society?

[size=18pt]Early Africans were NOT WEARING much clothing compared to the "westerns" and in fact the "westerners" imitated the unclothedness from Africa! grin grin grin grin

Early Africans arts shown men wearing "loin cloth" to cover their private areas and some women were half wrapped and some were wearing bras and "sarongs".[/size] Much skins were uncovered because of the environment and Native Americans were wearing furs and animal hides to protect their skin against cold environment.

The fact the Africans are wearing "modern" and "full clothing" are actually imitating the "west". grin grin grin grin Please Africans do not bow down to the "West" make sure you keep the East (China) off your backs and resources. grin grin grin grin

THANK YOU!! THEY ARE TWO FO0LS!

They think because they are, that we are too.

"proud africans" but ashamed to admit their past.

*spits*

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 10, 2012
Fulaman198:

What a huge disgrace, Nigerians even copying Carnival now ke, such a shame. Always copycating

Didnt the Carnival idea (esp Caribbean one) start with the Calabars/Akwa-Ibom, hen got carried to the Western world through slave trade?

I didnt study history/African studies, so feel free to correct me.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 10, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 10, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 10, 2012
don't try to play me.

carnival as displayed on here and as it is known is an african tradition.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:17am On Sep 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Didnt the Carnival idea (esp Caribbean one) start with the Calabars/Akwa-Ibom, hen got carried to the Western world through slave trade?

I didnt study history/African studies, so feel free to correct me.

good point.

the igbos are one tribe that definitely did have influence on the caribbean.

You are probably talking about jonkunnu though.

jonkunu is practiced all throughout the caribbean and is very much related to carnival but still a separate tradition.

you can see the igbo influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVr1_zDVa5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiz0k1kD0gM

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Turbaning Ceremony Of Hon Chibuike R Amaechi In Duara Kastina (Video & Photos) / Olubadan Of Ibadanland Lands In London In Style. Photos / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.