Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,634 members, 7,851,120 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:49 PM

External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations (101770 Views)

Women Representation Under Buhari Poorer Than Past Administrations – UN / Obasanjo, Yaradua, Jonathan's Govts To Account For Recovered Loot- Court / See The Names Of Those Who Will Probe Yaradua And Jonathan's Administration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by femolevsky(m): 2:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
What we fail to take jnto account through all of these is that we have had a relatively stable Macro Economy through all the crises of the world economy. The Foreign Reserve of any Nation fluctuates as a function of many things, one of which is the Exchange Rate. Whether there is a draw down on the reserve or not, it's value fluctuates as the exchange rate does. Now, the Foreign Reserve is domiciled with the CBN and not the Executive, PGEJ or any other president for that matter can't touch the reserve. What he can touch is the ECA and he can only do that with the support of FAAC which comprises of all the states and their FM/commissioners. So this argument really is pointless. Now you may be asking why the Naira is falling right now against the Dollar which is our official reserve currency and the answer is Oil Output and Pricing which is subject to OPEC and the US, the US because they are/were our largest buyers until Shale entered the picture. Now they have scaled down their Orders which is what Obama promised to do, to keep their economy away from the shocks of the Unstable Middle East and African countries.

In all of these, we have had a stable Macro Economic structure that has seen the largest ever influx of FDI and Investor confidence. But as the risk of being an oil dependent economy exacerbates, no thanks to Politicians and their utterances towards the elections and falling sales, the Naira falls as investors get shaky as seen on the NSE, so NOIweala has done a great job keeping our economy stable in the face of the most troubling times we have faced since the War, some say even more so, considering the Financial crisis and Shale's assistance to our biggest buyers.

If PGEJ had not partially removed the Subsidy, we would have suffered more, our dependence on the dollar and affinity for foreign made goods, including the BlackBerry I'm typing with, is what keeps us open to external shocks. Until we can wriggle free, I'm afraid, we will continue to see our Reserve fluctuating.

It has nothing to do with GEJ. In fact, GEJ has shown more ingenuity than past leaders in that he has financed critical infrastructure using external funds directly tied to performance contracts which will ensure those projects are delivered and we are currently witnessing that. The largest infrastructural investments are taking place in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by donmalcolm21(m): 2:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
Where is that datolee guy, I need him here to tackle barcanista objectively. Berem stay away from this thread because figures are being discussed not APCccccccccc.

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Dannyset(m): 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
If only we youth could come back to our senses. We keep defending the present government. We want them to continue with their deceit for anoda 4 years after d unfruitful 4 or 6 yrs spent. Another faction want those that had the opportunity to deliver this country from what we are facing now, but reluctantly allowed it to slip, to come back and rule over us(maybe to put things right this time, or to come and finish us). We have everything it takes to make this Nation rank among the best in the world. Yet, we are being deceived that its not easy to manage. These people keep bettering the lives of their family and unborn generations at the expense of ours. Yet, all what we are capable of doing is to take to everywhere, anywhere to vouch for them and defend them even if it takes going the extra mile of lying. We keep fighting ourselves here, and they keep enjoying themselves there. If this medium even allows it, we can punch ourselves. Its a BIG pity. Look at the great work you guys are doing just to defend leaders who couldn't(can't) defend us. Let's defend ourselves. You have the traits of leaders. WE CAN'T WIN THIS WAY. #UCanBashMeCosUrBetaThanMe.

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2014
barcanista:
He is somewhere wishing that it never makes fp
I pity him and Altwireles, who said bringing this to front page would be digracing to you. I'm sure they now know that they are the ones that are disgraced. It will be silly for any person to still want Jonathan to come back. Less I forget, where is Bro. Nqwakwe?
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by hardebounty(m): 2:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
aguiyi:
All this rambling is geared towards foisting a coupist on this nation, it will not work. Sell us another candidate and we will listen to you but certainly not Buhari

The 2.8b that disappeared under his watch at NNPC is still fresh in our minds

The jailing of Ambrose Ali, Alex while putting his tribes man under house arrest is not forgotten yet

The callous comments he made during and after the 2011 elections that led to the death of many youths is still there to ponder over. The bastard is yet to apologies for those comments , he is yet to condemn those killings, he is yet to stop making inciting comments.

Am guessing you were less than 10 than 10 years in 1983 so you will believe anything they tell you .

How many threads have your camp opened only today just because of the demolition datolee put you guys through.

Kip deluding pple that likes ur comment ooh..
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ahmeduana:

REMEMBER THAT DURING OBASANJO AND YARADUA THERE WAS NO FUNCTIONAL RAILWAY SYSTEM, NO WORLD CLASS AIRPORT, AND THE FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES ARE FEW, NO MAKARANTA ALMAJIRI, AND ALL THE 35,000 KILOMETERS ROAD NETWORKS ARE DEATH TRAP, And all these are functioning right now though not fully but we are on the right track of achieving NIGERIA of our dream. AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT MORE MONEY,MORE PROBLEMS, MORE SOLUTIONS> OBASANJO CAME IN A DIFFERENT TIME YARADUA CAME IN AN INTERESTING TIME while jonathan is war time president all the money we should have used for infrastructure development purpose is been spent on in executing war on boko haram THIS IS MY QUESTION IS IT THE AMOUNT THE STATE GOVERNORS ARE COLLECTING AS MONTHLY ALLOCATION DURING OBASANJO AND YARADUA ERA IS IT THE SAME AMOUNT THEY ARE STILL COllECTING NOW? Left for the governor Nigeria will not be having anything call external reserve
Let us be true to ourselves.
Obasnjo faced Militancy, they blow up oil pipes, kidnap workers and he deployed Military. Yet he saved LOTS of Money and Still managed the debt from $30b to $3 billion

Yar Adua faced similar thing until the Amnesty Program. Yet he saved More Money and managed the debt well.
See this...

Militants blow up oil installation= Nigeria loses Money
Militants Kidnap Oil Workers= Nigeria Loses Oil Money
Oil Coys Pay Ransome= It tells on our tax
Oil Coys cut production= Nigeria loses money
President Obasanjo Spent Money on Military= Just Like Jonathan.
Yet, we had enough in our revenue and almost zero external debt

4 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by ichidodo: 2:05pm On Nov 07, 2014
dguyindcorner:

useless and fake facts
That's your negligible opinion,let front page people decide...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by dguyindcorner(m): 2:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
Ahmeduana:

REMEMBER THAT DURING OBASANJO AND YARADUA THERE WAS NO FUNCTIONAL RAILWAY SYSTEM, NO WORLD CLASS AIRPORT, AND THE FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES ARE FEW, NO MAKARANTA ALMAJIRI, AND ALL THE 35,000 KILOMETERS ROAD NETWORKS ARE DEATH TRAP, And all these are functioning right now though not fully but we are on the right track of achieving NIGERIA of our dream. AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT MORE MONEY,MORE PROBLEMS, MORE SOLUTIONS> OBASANJO CAME IN A DIFFERENT TIME YARADUA CAME IN AN INTERESTING TIME while jonathan is war time president all the money we should have used for infrastructure development purpose is been spent on in executing war on boko haram THIS IS MY QUESTION IS IT THE AMOUNT THE STATE GOVERNORS ARE COLLECTING AS MONTHLY ALLOCATION DURING OBASANJO AND YARADUA ERA IS IT THE SAME AMOUNT THEY ARE STILL COllECTING NOW? Left for the governor Nigeria will not be having anything call external reserve

God go catch you!
Is it the same allocation president was collecting then he's still collecting?

Which one b world class Airport?

Your eye no clear go chop apple sir. If you need exemplary infrastructure go ask Fashola and Akpabio.
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Candyrain(m): 2:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
barcanista:
Obj left a Reserve of $45 billion

GEJ not only borrowed but he went as far as depleting the reserve. It is like you have no clue
OBJ left a reserve of $45 billion, right? Maybe we should wait till GEJ leaves and then know what he'll leave. He'll leave 2015 if APC present a better candidate other than Buhari but if not then we'll have to wait till 2019. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
femolevsky:
What we fail to take jnto account through all of these is that we have had a relatively stable Macro Economy through all the crises of the world economy. The Foreign Reserve of any Nation fluctuates as a function of many things, one of which is the Exchange Rate. Whether there is a draw down on the reserve or not, it's value fluctuates as the exchange rate does. Now, the Foreign Reserve is domiciled with the CBN and not the Executive, PGEJ or any other president for that matter can't touch the reserve. What he can touch is the ECA and he can only do that with the support of FAAC which comprises of all the states and their FM/commissioners. So this argument really is pointless. Now you may be asking why the Naira is falling right now against the Dollar which is our official reserve currency and the answer is Oil Output and Pricing which is subject to OPEC and the US, the US because they are/were our largest buyers until Shale entered the picture. Now they have scaled down their Orders which is what Obama promised to do, to keep their economy away from the shocks of the Unstable Middle East and African countries.

In all of these, we have had a stable Macro Economic structure that has seen the largest ever influx of FDI and Investor confidence. But as the risk of being an oil dependent economy exacerbates, no thanks to Politicians and their utterances towards the elections and falling sales, the Naira falls as investors get shaky as seen on the NSE, so NOIweala has done a great job keeping our economy stable in the face of the most troubling times we have faced since the War, some say even more so, considering the Financial crisis and Shale's assistance to our biggest buyers.

If PGEJ had not partially removed the Subsidy, we would have suffered more, our dependence on the dollar and affinity for foreign made goods, including the BlackBerry I'm typing with, is what keeps us open to external shocks. Until we can wriggle free, I'm afraid, we will continue to see our Reserve fluctuating.

It has nothing to do with GEJ. In fact, GEJ has shown more ingenuity than past leaders in that he has financed critical infrastructure using external funds directly tied to performance contracts which will ensure those projects are delivered and we are currently witnessing that. The largest infrastructural investments are taking place in Nigeria.
In all your noise, I have decided to single out this. Do you realise that the SUBSIDY bills started to speak in trillions when Jonathan came on board? It wasn't so when Yar Adua was there...
Hey, Jonathan admitted Fraud in the sector and the subsidy bill. Yet, the same indicted people are his campaigners

5 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:

I pity him and Altwireles, who said bringing this to front page would be digracing to you. I'm sure they now know that they are the ones that are disgraced. It will be silly for any person to still want Jonathan to come back. Less I forget, where is Bro. Nqwakwe?
Their said demand of fp was a ploy to weaken the topic. I realised it, henced, I refused to engage them.

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by dguyindcorner(m): 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
ichidodo:
That's your negligible opinion,let front page people decide...

You are entitle to your opinion but not to your facts.
Sir, Jonathan told the foreigners we now enjoy light 24/7 , is that true?
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by champele40: 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2014
ndi APC ana edeherii.lol

4 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Ediss(m): 2:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
inconclusion we should not vote for gej? you no well o. you dey sick. i most i mean most vote for gej. apc or acp waiting him call himself

2 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by champele40: 2:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
barcanista or watever,i need your type of work,where i sit down at home making money.give me apc boss number.BIKO

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by blym4real: 2:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
Nigeria’s Federal Government will spend
N63.28 billion on Niger Delta former militants
in 2014, figures in the new budget reveal.
Out of the amount, stipends and allowance for
an estimated 30,000 militants will gulp N23.6
billion, about half of the N48billion spent on
the militants in 2012.
This year, a programme for the re-integration
of the militants will also cost the Nigerian
treasury N35billion. Two years ago, the
programme of re-integration cost N924million.
Operational cost for the running of the
programme called Presidential Amnesty
Programme is estimated at N3.7 billion, far
less than the N12.8billion spent in 2012.
Niger Delta Ex-Militants: amnesty Programme
to cost N63b
There is an additional charge of N546million
this year, meant for what is called ‘reinsertion,
transition safety allowances for 3,642 former
militants who fall under a third phase of the
amnesty programme.
Statistically, Nigeria will spend an estimated
N2million on every militant captured by the
programme this year.
Last year, the amnesty programme gulped
N66.28 billion. It gulped N66.17 billion in
In contrast, the Federal Government proposes
to spend just N2billion on a pilot initiative to
ameliorate the poverty in Nigeria’s Northeast,
where a five year insurgency by Boko Haram
militants has cost thousands of lives, and
created a climate of insecurity.
The Federal Government special allocation to
the three states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe,
represents just a part of what the programme
will cost as the states in the region are also
expected to make contributions.
Foreign and local analysts have blamed the
raging insurgency in the region to poverty and
have called on the government to do
something about it.
The Federal response to these calls, which
President Jonathan hinted at a programme in
Gombe recently is the N2billion allocation.
While the amnesty programme for the Niger
Delta militants takes 6.8 per cent of the
‘consolidated revenue fund charges’ estimated
at N925.1 billion, Nigeria proposes to spend
just about N8billion on job creation scheme,
an acute national crisis and another N1billion
on ‘Quick Win’, an empowerment programme
in which Nigerian youths compete for Federal
assistance to start their own enterprises.
Tweet
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Princelyod(m): 2:15pm On Nov 07, 2014
Clown op how many boko haram did his predicessors fight....war cost money my friend

2 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Princelyod(m): 2:15pm On Nov 07, 2014
op how many boko haram did his predicessors fight....war cost money my friend
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by femolevsky(m): 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
datolee:
Final remark, The whole argument of foreign debt is a non-issue. Thailand has more external reserve than UK, Brazil external reserve is equivalent to that of US and UK joined together. Nigeria is 45th in term of country with highest external reserve.

In terms of external debt, the likes of Ghana, Tanzania are owing more than Nigeria.. we are 89th in the world.

Argument should center on the development of this nation than stockpiling fund in reserve (except the ECA or SWF for infrastructure investment). Get the damn money out of wherever it is and use it for the development of this nation. Until then, Jonathan till Buhari stop contesting election in Nigeria.

The Reserve is vital to ensure the Nation has enough to meet its external obligations, it gives investors confidence to know that the economy has enough to meet its obligations to them, without it, no one will do business with Nigeria, internally or externally. So it can't be drawn down and spent as you insinuated.

3 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
naira is 170 as at today bro.. and thank you for your effort.

#respect

barcanista:
Like seriously isn't this laughable? What is the value of the Naira despite the "spending" to resist devaluation? As at today the Naira is 160=Dollar and Soludo time it wasn't this high. I don't know how you reason but you are off it.

First, you were talking as if it was ONLY Jonathan that refused to DELIBERATELY devalue the Naira. They all did!!!

The others had enough in Reserve despite the Price of Oil and the then subsidy bills. WHile Jonathan depleted the account and still furthers d debt

2 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by ichidodo: 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
For those not in-sync what you might be viewing at this point is the dying throes of a one-sided debate with the victor having since gone about his chores and the loser still loitering about tryna pick up pieces of his demolished pride with meaningless chit chats amongst fellow janjweed consolers who hope to massage his bruised ego following this latest APC fiasco..This ain't the last we'll hear of this,i tell you...stay tuned for more.

10 Likes

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Iffffffy(f): 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
Candyrain:
OBJ left a reserve of $45 billion, right? Maybe we should wait till GEJ leaves and then know what he'll leave. He'll leave 2015 if APC present a better candidate other than Buhari but if not then we'll have to wait till 2019. Thanks
best comment so far

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by callylove(f): 2:23pm On Nov 07, 2014
Gudoos bro i realy dnt know what is happening on till now friend we have to wake up if possible go on fasting for d betterment of our dear country

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 07, 2014
nikpet2:
naira is 170 as at today bro.. and thank you for your effort.

#respect

Thank you for the correction. I appreciate
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 07, 2014
femolevsky:

The Reserve is vital to ensure the Nation has enough to meet its external obligations, it gives investors confidence to know that the economy has enough to meet its obligations to them, without it, no one will do business with Nigeria, internally or externally. So it can't be drawn down and spent as you insinuated.
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 07, 2014
you welcome bro

#respect

barcanista:
Thank you for the correction. I appreciate
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by olapluto(m): 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2014
The funny thing about this discussion is that currently, the naira is nose diving. This really should not happen to a country like Nigeria when we have earned so much in the last 16 years (of PDP). The other day, I put a topic on Bloomberg's forcast for the naira. Naira is currently at an all time low and there is NO remedy in sight.
Today, CBN is trying to cap dollar/naira trade, but is that going to solve anything? Seeing the figures spent by Jonathan makes it even frightening. Where did all the money go?
Naira will depreciate further as election approaches. Oil prices are falling, BUT still higher than it was pre-PDP. I really fear for the price of things in Nigeria next year. Unless offcourse we have a change in the economic/finance team.
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Akpama47(m): 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
barcanista:
3. PRESIDENT GOODLUCK JONATHAN:
EXTERNAL DEBT
Inherited: $3.94 billion Dollars

As At Now: $9.3 billion Dollars

[url]http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/edebtstock/docs/External%20Debt%20Stock%20as%20at%2030th%20June_%202014.pdf[/url]

Is it Gej that is incuring all these debts or are these debts or is the money being used for his testructural programs?
FOREIGN RESERVE:
Inherited: $47. 7 billion (As At December 31st, 2009)

As At Now: $38.2BILLION http://www.cenbank.org/intops/Reserve.asp
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1842363_2014foreignreserve_jpegb778234d0e84907de925a2b063c2355a

N/B:
Of the $9.3 billion EXTERNAL DEBT, Federal Government’s owes $6.36b, while ALL 36 States plus FCT owes $3.0 billion
As at 2010, Oil Price was at $89 per barrel
As at 2011, It was $103 per barrel
As at Now it is $100 per barrel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_oil_market_chronology_from_2003
Meaning, Jonathan have access to more more money than Yar Adua, but he depleted the Foreign Reserve and Still Purge Us into Further Debt With NOTHING to show
Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
Obiagelli:

Hahaha did you factor inflation and exchange rate?

leave the table for bacanista and dalotee, this guys are arguing maturely with fact. You are just asking one sentence questions,

1 Like

Re: External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations by karkel(m): 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
barcanista:
I am a fool because I am taking my time to educate Nigerians? We all know who the fool is here
then who is greatest fool of all

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (26) (Reply)

"President Buhari's First Photo In 68 Days Since He Left For UK" - Shehu Ashaka / Dino Melaye Cleans Juju On Saraki's Seat With Handkerchief (Photos, Video) / Abiola, Oba Oyekan At The Crowning Of Tinubu As Asiwaju Of Lagos (Throwback Pic)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.