Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 (89064 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Abacha, Maryam Abacha, Al-mustapha And Buhari In 1995 / Late Gen. Bamidele's Last Words Before Buhari Killed Him. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Sheriffc(m): 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2014
mickyarams:
May God destroy all those theiving bastards that call themselves leaders.
A big AMEN to that.... But the Niger Deltans have one of their sons as the president and another as the Petroleum Minister; what have they done to alleviate the suffering of the people of that area? Please don't mention amnesty programme o; that's a huge joke and senseless waste of money which sets bad precedences to agitators. KEN SARO WIWA's struggle for the right of the Ogbonni people and the Niger Deltans had been made to seem like "who send you message?"...I feel the pain with which KEN SARO WIWA wrote the message. If GEJ would only retrace his steps from believing that Niger Delta is only made of the Ijaws, the Ogbonnis plight would have been addressed by now.

KEN SARO WIWA and other great fighters would have died in vain if after 6 years of Mr Jonathan, the Ogbonnis are still agitating that their land should be cleaned, shame!

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by eezor: 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2014
i dnt knw wat d ibos(i-before-others) are sweating over for a man who stood his ground amidst death. were the rivers people treated well under the then eastern regional govt, whose headquarter where in Enugu? No! some lands nd forest were forcefully acquired by the greedy ibos because they control the govt. how then wud u xpect a rivers man to join u(ibos) nd fight to b further exterminated in the cos of ur biafra ? all the land and houses in port harcourt were forcefully acquired by d ibos, all because they hv power over the region. governor Spiff and governor Okilo whom saro wiwa works for were responsible for all governmental pronouncement and edicts. i can asure u dat all those wit genuine C.of O got their houses back after war. their alot of things behind that civil war as it affects the rivers man but the ibos wll hardly admit they made mistake.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Orikinla(m): 7:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ken Saro Wiwa was a Commissioner at the age 26 and was part and parcel of the oligarchy that shared the abandoned properties of the Igbos.

Like GEJ claiming he had no shoe, but had sandals and slippers. grin
The same way GEJ has hoodwinked the Igbos by telling them "I am one of you" and now planning how to dump them asap.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Sunbellar: 7:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
The Northeners have been killing the southerners since the colonial days!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by tobionafuye: 7:48pm On Nov 10, 2014
I'm sincerely impressed that some of us will post such intelligent reports on diverse matters. I'm more impressed that some of us read through the entire report. Shows there's still hope for this generation. We will get it right some day soon. I dare say well done to poster and all those who took the patience to learn a thing or 2 from the report. Regards

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by squaddy(m): 7:48pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ken saro wiwa

Good morning

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by fr3do(m): 7:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ymodulus:

They have seen the light.

lol we shall see
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2014
eezor:
i dnt knw wat d ibos(i-before-others) are sweating over for a man who stood his ground amidst death. were the rivers people treated well under the then eastern regional govt, whose headquarter where in Enugu? No! some lands nd forest were forcefully acquired by the greedy ibos because they control the govt. how then wud u xpect a rivers man to join u(ibos) nd fight to b further exterminated in the cos of ur biafra ? all the land and houses in port harcourt were forcefully acquired by d ibos, all because they hv power over the region. governor Spiff and governor Okilo whom saro wiwa works for were responsible for all governmental pronouncement and edicts. i can asure u dat all those wit genuine C.of O got their houses back after war. their alot of things behind that civil war as it affects the rivers man but the ibos wll hardly admit they made mistake.

The lands Igbos had in rivers state,were acquired through the sweat and blood of Igbo individuals,who bought the lands from Rivers people by paying them the money the rivers people demanded. It was never forcefully acquired at gun points or with the help of Enugu based govt. Just as the lands Igbos have today in Abuja. Any honest Nigerian would tell you that the Igboman pays good price for land, for he values land. The lie that the Igbo property in PH were illegally acquired by Ndiigbo, were lies you lazy mofos spawned to ease your guilt.

As a matter of fact, those who lost most of their lands, were those that bought inherited lands from Rivers people, as most of them had no C of O, but those that sold them the land, knew fully well that the Igbos bought it from them, with their hard earned money, and at agreed price, those who bought from the government were mostly those with C of O.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Efewestern: 8:10pm On Nov 10, 2014
U
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 10, 2014
Dlionsheart:

I am one the people he inspired so much, next to the way Nelson Mandela and other world revolutionist and rights activist inspired me. I have almost all his books/novels in my library -- Forest of flowers, Soza boy, etc.
+1000 likes
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by epoxide(m): 8:15pm On Nov 10, 2014
nairaarea:
Yes he did. What is making you to doubt?

lol are you there that time? during the talking? during the amalgamation?
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by nokingasgod: 8:15pm On Nov 10, 2014
I remember Ken, diminutive, ebullient, intelligent, creative and erudite. Reminding me of his last words is about the saddest thing I have been made to remember all my life. As sad as it is, going through the lines word by word, prophetic, valid, undisputable and adamantine. I am the more terrified about the project called Nigeria. For this project to survive and or succeed, their must be utmost and genuine heartfelt atonement by all. But alas, what do I read on Nairaland, ignorance, hate, arrogance, psychotic tendencies, etc etc all symptomatic of multi-generational depraved minds.

Well, Ken was spot on and his very words are much more valid than they were during his time. Niger Delta militancy, BH debacle, stomach infrastructure disciples, morally bankrupt leaders and followers, un-informed, un-articulate citizenry, villains in all nooks and crannies.....He stood at the threshold of history and like an actor he was, he's had his entry and then his exit. His place is guaranteed in history and that is independent of the survival or other wise of the phantom entity called Nigeria because already, his life and struggles have been properly documented for posterity by sane minds of sane environments and climes.

Ken was one of the greatest Nigerians of the Post Independent era!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by epoxide(m): 8:15pm On Nov 10, 2014
nairaarea:
Yes he did. What is making you to doubt?

lol are you there that time? during the talking? during the amalgamation?
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 8:23pm On Nov 10, 2014
Efewestern:

and u too tell ur fucking ojukwu GOODmorning too.. We in south south luv wiwa so leave in 4 use.. U igbos re so selfish js because d man didn't think d way ur ojukwu was thinking u igbos re js vomiting rubbish from ur mouth.. Tym will cum we will block our boundary from west and east and declare Niger Delta republic.. Bitxh

You are not from the defunct Eastern region, i don't really think you have any case with Ojukwu, or even Wiwa.

And for your info, Wiwa was not a fan of Niger delta republic. Immediately after the creation of Rivers state, Wiwa was all over the radio stations gloating over the despair of Ndiigbo in post Biafran Nigeria, but it wasn't long, before Wiwa started complaining of Ijaw domination in the old Rivers state, he wanted a separate state for Ogonis, where only him can lord.

If Wiwa wasn't comfortable in a small Rivers state, what made you think he would be comfortable in an even bigger geographical anomaly like Niger delta, where he wouldn't just have to deal with the Ijaws alone, but with the added headache of the Uhrobos and Binis?

9 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by personal59: 8:24pm On Nov 10, 2014
so ken na muslim abi i no read the quran quote aspect well?
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by dubienatti(m): 8:32pm On Nov 10, 2014
..Dont even know who saro wiwi was/is, nxt tin i hear b say him don die..y? because of oil..now after these yrs i ask ma self.. is it worth it??...i tink no..not even a public toilet built to honour him..d killer happens to b more popula dan d killee...nna eh... i just don't undastand how Naija d do tinz..

6 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by christopher123(m): 8:33pm On Nov 10, 2014
Efewestern:

and u too tell ur fucking ojukwu GOODmorning too.. We in south south luv wiwa so leave in 4 use.. U igbos re so selfish js because d man didn't think d way ur ojukwu was thinking u igbos re js vomiting rubbish from ur mouth.. Tym will cum we will block our boundary from west and east and declare Niger Delta republic.. Bitxh

I told u not to quote me

When u say south south dont forget we have majority igbos there..so who are the we

They are drilling ur oil

Have u been to abuja lately
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by lovemaths(f): 8:53pm On Nov 10, 2014
BADNEAT:
For a man who's headquarters operated from a house which was seized and stolen from the igbo after the civil war (chief obi) in portharcourt to have cried about injustice before being executed is a clear reflection of the fact that Nigeria still wallows in a state of colossal parakpoism, kangaroo chauvinism, nepotism and tribalism. ..may his soul remain where it belongs...igbo hater crying for justice
Thank you, my brother. He said he's a man of peace but he killed my people, the Igbos when they came back to portharcourt after the civil war and dispossessed them of their houses and properties. Those who kill with guns, sword, strangulation will die by guns, sword, strangulation. I know my history. Bob Marley said 'never forget who you are or where you stand in the struggle'. The holy bible says 'while the earth exists, seed time and harvest time shall never cease'. you reap what you sow.

11 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by fasbat(m): 8:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
nairaarea:
Today what Ogoni's yearn for is the full implementation of the UNEP report/ clean up of Ogoni land and An Ogoni governor in Rivers state
what else do u want? At least ur son has been at d helms since 2010 and did Not deem it necessary to enforce d clean-up of Ogoni land ,so if another tribe get there in 2015,then u will realise dt ur region put forward 3rd eleven for d whole nation!
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
Songs of Sarowiwa VII (some subsequels)
VII
There is Fire on My Roof
And on Your Roof Too,
Is the Same Fire!
My clansmen I cry
Listen to the tone of my voice
Listen to the supplication
Of my lips
And the meaning
Of what I say
Remove
The cotton wools
In your ears,
Remove them quickly
So that the wind
That my lungs produce
Can creep
Freely
Between them

Who,
Who have become
Little children
Who wear in the left foot
The footwear meant
For the right
Who,
Like a woman
Who is accursed
Who cannot sit
Her mounds down
In her husband’s hut
It does not befit you
To behave like women
Who drag a little matter
And talk droopily about it
Does not befit you
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Policewoman(f): 9:04pm On Nov 10, 2014
He got what he deserved for being one of the champions of the Abandoned Property saga. Karma is a biatch.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
And you our neighbours
You there: my brothers
With hearts blown up;
Yes, it is you I’m talking to.
Listen now
Listen to the cry
Of your brothers
Answer me now
Answer earnestly
How far is the difference
Between the lion
With the black fur
And the other
With the brown fur
How do you display
The difference
Between a slave,
And a free-born,
How do you draw
What separates them?

To hell
With the sceptre
Of old traditions
And meaningless customs,
To hell
With them
What does the custodian say?
What does he say,
About old beliefs
And nebulous practice?
Did the gods ordinate
These customs?
Where did they gather
To ordinate them?
Whose shrine
Did they go
To pronounce these
Customs?
To hell with him
The custodian
To hell with him
And his empty words
Did they not sleep
In the same womb?
And are they not
Of the same path;
Were they not crafted
Of the skills
Of the same man?
Answer now
Answer earnestly!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by corlin2(m): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2014
AND JESUS CHRIST WAS CRUCIFIED
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2014
Again, shall you say
Because the scar
Of the betraying spear
Is still fresh and frail
You shall not give ear
To the cry of your brother
About to be smashed
By his adversaries?
I ask you again
Brother mine,
Shall you say
Because your own brother
Led you into the hands
Of defeats
Your balm of brotherhood
Will forever suffer
Humiliation?
Do you think
Manhood is proved
Merely on this wise?
Come now
Let us see!
Come,
Let us see
What is it
That we cannot
Share as brothers?
What is it
That we cannot
Put a knife of justice
In between?
Have you forgotten
So soon
The mid-night song
We crafted together
Solemnly
Hunting for crabs
In the wild sea!
The song ran:

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:11pm On Nov 10, 2014
Brother, brother mine!
There! There!
The moon is still up
The moon has not dropped dead
The moon is still blazing bright and apt
Revealing paths right and dazzling
Revealing cobwebs
Crippling our progress
A little further, a little further
Brother,
We shall pack crabs
We shall gather crabs
We shall shout across to the villagers
For more trays and basins
Not creels
We shall ask for more rafts
To ferry ashore heaps of crabs!
Only a little further, a little further
We shall find crabs!
Have you forgotten
So soon
My brother
From the gold coast!
Aaa!
Why,
Brother, can’t you see?
The monsters come
They come to us
Call us each to one side
And say:
I set a prize
Here is a string of blades
Blunt blades, you can see
Only wrap them
Around your ankles
Around your wrists
Around your fist
And fight your brother!
You are right
But he is wrong
I set a prize
Fight!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
And we fight each other
And while we are cut up
In the fight
The monsters go out
Stealthily
Like a jesting ripple at sea
And carter away
The wealth in our house
And it occurs again
Another time
They ante up butchery prizes
And we fight and wound
Why, why, why?
Brother mine!
Why do we fight!
Come,
Bring out
Your arrows and bows
Gather them here
Let us make a Big Heap
Of them
And set them aflame
We will watch it
Reduce to ashes
Gather up your guns
Cutlasses, knives, daggers
Arrows, spears,
Your amulets, your charms
All of them
All the crafts
Made by our own hands
Which ignite the fire of enmity
Upon the piths
Of our huts
Bring them all out
Let us set them ablaze
Let us make a caricature
Of our adversaries
Let us show the world
Our oneness

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
Come,
Let us smash
The mirror
Standing in the centre
Of the arena
Displaying our past
Furiously,
Let us demolish
The walls separating us
Let us smash to pieces
The black pot
Of our past
We do not want
Our differences
Reflected in them
We do not want
To remember
The scene yesterday
Between us
Come now,
Let us tie again
The string of brotherhood
And stand
As one people
Where is he
That says
We must fight
With irons and metals;
Where is he
That stirs up
The water of anger
In our youth
Bring him out quickly
And we will banish him
Out of our sight
Out of our filthily
Decrepit homestead
Out of this land
We want oneness
We want victory
We want one fist!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by fineworker24(m): 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2014
BADNEAT:
For a man who's headquarters operated from a house which was seized and stolen from the igbo after the civil war (chief obi) in portharcourt to have cried about injustice before being executed is a clear reflection of the fact that Nigeria still wallows in a state of colossal parakpoism, kangaroo chauvinism, nepotism and tribalism. ..may his soul remain where it belongs...igbo hater crying for justice
Ken saro wiwa was served justice as it should be. He believed in one fake united one Nigeria, but unfortunately fake united one Nigeria doesn't believe in justice, equity and fairness. In Nigeria fair is foul and foul is fair.

3 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by Clinton207: 9:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ymodulus:

I never did that rather I went further to immortalize saro wiwa. And give him the accolades he deserves.

I agree with you. But do not say OUR LEADERS, rather say the UMBRELLA LEADERS.
leadership skill or quality is not a function of any group or political party. This is where we nigerians get it wrong,learn to know d aspirant's' personality,qualities and den cast ur vote.my regret is that 'all our politicians are likened to our football club players with different jersey'.God help my country nigeria.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa's Last Words Before His Execution On 10 Nov. 1995 by pazienza(m): 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2014
Saro Wiwa never believed in one Nigeria, i think he was just a victim of circumstances. All Wiwa ever wanted was autonomy, total resource control,and self determination for his small Ogoni ethnic group. Those are noble intentions, but along the line, he made wrong decisions, the worst of them, being his decision to support the North, Naively believing in Awo and Gowon's empty promises, it was a life and history changing decision. With the benefit of hindsight, Wiwa knew he made a fatal mistake, his long poem there made it obvious. With time, he came to see who the monsters were, who came and set the ethnicities in the East against Ndiigbo, while they swiftly made away with the treasure(crude oil) of the east, it was a well executed divide and conquer master plan, Saro recognized this with the benefit of hindsight.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Emeka Ihedioha & Hope Uzodinma Throw A Party After Ending Okorocha's Dynasty / Hanan Buhari Graduates With First Class From UK University (Photo) / Who’s Who Of Freemasonry In Nigeria(dead And Alive)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.