Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,307 members, 7,829,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! - Foreign Affairs (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! (657274 Views)

Trump Wins Big On Super Tuesday, But Rivals Fight On / Clinton Blames Islamic Militants Rise On Obama Policies / Hillary Clinton Given £80 Parking Fine In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (539) (Go Down)

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 5:14pm On May 29, 2016
ValerianSteel:
Trump has got much to hide hence why he's holding back on his tax returns.Also he has a criminal case as well,Feds are investigating the fraud called Trump University and reports have shown how he has milked ten thousand from many,he has gone further to insult the mexican judge overseeing the process calling him anti-Trump for simply doing his job.

I doubt Adelson will really waste $100million on Trump.Afterall his only stakes in the election is a Presidential candidate with the right policies for Israel and many Jews are staying blue in this election,just about 10% in the homeland support Trump,Hillary remains Israel's best bet.Adelson will simply be wasting his money.
Agreed.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 8:12pm On May 29, 2016
Police Officers Association of Michigan Endorses Trump....

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 5:23am On May 30, 2016
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 5:35am On May 30, 2016
The latest Washington Post/ABC News poll sure looks like a nightmare for Donald Trump.

- 57 percent of voters have an unfavorable impression of Trump - 56 percent of voters think Trump is unqualified for the presidency

- A plurality of voters (44-39) think Clinton better understands "the problems of people like you"

- A plurality of voters (44-40) say Clinton better represents their personal values

- A majority of voters (59-33) think Clinton has a better personality and temperament to serve as president

- A majority of voters (57-34) think Clinton has more realistic policy proposals

- A majority of voters (50-36) trust Clinton more to look out for the middle class

- A plurality of voters (48-47) prefer a candidate with political experience to an outsider

- A majority of voters (64-25) think Trump would do more to advance the interests of the wealthy than Clinton would

- A plurality of Republican-leaning voters don't think Trump represents the values of their party

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 6:24am On May 30, 2016
ValerianSteel:
The latest Washington Post/ABC News poll sure looks like a nightmare for Donald Trump.

- 57 percent of voters have an unfavorable impression of Trump - 56 percent of voters think Trump is unqualified for the presidency

- A plurality of voters (44-39) think Clinton better understands "the problems of people like you"

- A plurality of voters (44-40) say Clinton better represents their personal values

- A majority of voters (59-33) think Clinton has a better personality and temperament to serve as president

- A majority of voters (57-34) think Clinton has more realistic policy proposals

- A majority of voters (50-36) trust Clinton more to look out for the middle class

- A plurality of voters (48-47) prefer a candidate with political experience to an outsider

- A majority of voters (64-25) think Trump would do more to advance the interests of the wealthy than Clinton would

- A plurality of Republican-leaning voters don't think Trump represents the values of their party
Not surprised. I am loving this.

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 6:32am On May 30, 2016
Lucasbalo:
Not surprised. I am loving this.
Same here.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 4:34pm On May 30, 2016
ValerianSteel, Lucasbalo, Appleyard , CFCman

Happy memorial day!

3 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 30, 2016
Missy89:

Happy memorial day!

Thanks.
I wish you the same dear.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 4:53pm On May 30, 2016
Missy89:

Happy memorial day!
Thanks and hope you are enjoying the barbecue.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Lucasbalo(m): 4:59pm On May 30, 2016
Missy89:

Happy memorial day!
Thanks and hope you are enjoying the barbecue.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 30, 2016
ValerianSteel:

The bolded should be a source of concern to the Clinton camp. But other than that, the rest of the poll results don't make good reading for the Trump campaign.

Secretary Clinton should be joyous that, contrary to popular claims in liberal circles, only 25% of voters think she'll do more to advance the interests of the wealthy. It put's Trump's message of "I'm anti establishment" to disarray.

Anyway, I still believe that this election would be decided by the greater turnout numbers of both Dems and Repubs.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 30, 2016
Libertarian Party Selects Gary Johnson, William Weld For Presidential Ticket

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson and former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld secured the Libertarian Party’s respective nominations for president and vice president Sunday, capping off the party’s weekend-long biennial convention.

The nominations came after an often raucous nominating convention. Johnson was unable to obtain the necessary 50-plus percent of convention delegates on the first round of balloting. He ultimately finished with 55.8 percent of delegates supporting him.

Weld won on the second ballot with 51 percent support. The Libertarian Party selects its president and vice president separately.

Johnson and Weld will now serve as the standard-bearers for the economically conservative, socially liberal party. Interest in alternative presidential candidacies has spiked recently, due in part to the historically low approval ratings of Republican presumptive nominee businessman Donald Trump and likely Democratic nominee former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Several recent polls have found Johnson, who served as New Mexico’s Republican governor from 1995 to 2003 and was the Libertarian Party’s presidential nominee in 2012, earning the support of around 10 percent of likely voters.

Thus far, the Johnson-Weld campaign has been running a mostly shoestring operation, focusing more on building support within the party than soliciting support for the general election.

With their ticket set, the Libertarians’ goal now is to create a national campaign infrastructure — raising funds and building up field, digital, press and other operations necessary to remain competitive. A number of party officials this weekend expressed hope that large-dollar donors would flock to the Libertarian Party due to frustration with the Democratic and Republican tickets.

“If [the nomination] happens, I think there will be a lot of money that will roll into this campaign and given a lot of money,” Johnson said Saturday. “I think we’ll have a lot of real expertise at the table that we haven’t had to this point and would be able to strategize.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/libertarian-party-presidential-gary_us_574aff19e4b03ede44151293
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 5:39pm On May 30, 2016
Missy89:

Happy memorial day!
Enjoy the day dear
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 30, 2016
Pop quiz:
Name the country in which a sports anchor makes $500,000 per year?
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 6:21pm On May 30, 2016
CFCman:

The bolded should be a source of concern to the Clinton camp. But other than that, the rest of the poll results don't make good reading for the Trump campaign.

Secretary Clinton should be joyous that, contrary to popular claims in liberal circles, only 25% of voters think she'll do more to advance the interests of the wealthy. It put's Trump's message of "I'm anti establishment" to disarray.

Anyway, I still believe that this election would be decided by the greater turnout numbers of both Dems and Repubs.
Truly many are tired of the political royalty of Washington but they rather find solace in establishment Clinton than outsider Trump.

There will be huge turnout this year at the generals considering the primary turnout from both parties.People have been energized to heartily participate in deciding who anchors the nation.Sanders message has drawn out people in large numbers,there's been rise in newly registered Democrats due to Sanders Campaign.I believe the turnout will be massive due to the danger of a Trump Presidency.

The tipping point of this election would be independents.I saw a poll that suggests that independents are split in half into a liberal vs conservative voters base which suggests half will lean Democrat,the remaining half republican.For Secretary Clinton to win the election,she has to delegitimize Trump's candidacy to Republican voters.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Appleyard(m): 6:53pm On May 30, 2016
Missy89:

Happy memorial day!
My Senorita, same to you. Thanks, and and enjoy the moment.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 9:30pm On May 30, 2016
Donald J. Trump
Have a great Memorial Day and remember that we will soon MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 9:45pm On May 30, 2016
A growing number of vocal Hispanic
minority speaking out in favor of
Trump

latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2016/05/28/growing-number-vocal-hispanic-minority-speaking-out-in-favor-trump/

ANAHEIM, CALIF. (AP) – Hispanic voters in
Florida, New Mexico and California have waved
Mexican flags and bashed Donald Trump
piñatas — clashing with police, at times — to
protest the Republican presidential contender's
hard line approach to immigration.
Yet far from the protests, an increasingly vocal
Hispanic minority is speaking out in favor of the
brash billionaire. They are backing Trump even
in the face of resentment and suspicion from
friends and family, who are among the
overwhelming majority of non-white voters
opposed to the New York businessman's
candidacy.
"I'm not ashamed to vote for Trump. I'd just
rather not have the conversation with my
family," said Natalie Lally, a 22-year-old college
student from New York City whose large
extended family has Colombian roots.
She says silence fell over her grandmother's
living room when she admitted her support for
Trump during a recent family gathering that
included more than 30 relatives.
"They just kind of seemed uneasy," she
recalled. "And my uncle just said, 'Why?' "
In the border towns of Texas, the working-class
neighborhoods of New York, and even inside
Trump's overwhelmingly white rallies, the pro-
Trump Hispanic minority is willing to risk public
and private ridicule to defend the GOP's
presumptive presidential nominee. So far,
however, they're not getting much help from
Trump's campaign, which has yet to launch an
outreach effort to improve his standing with the
growing voting bloc.
Approximately 23 percent of Hispanics said
they'd vote for Trump in a May poll conducted
by Fox News Latino. Other recent polling places
Trump far lower. The GOP's last presidential
nominee, Mitt Romney, has cited his poor
standing with Hispanic voters as one of his
biggest regrets from the last election, when he
earned 27 percent of the Hispanic vote.
Trump's team acknowledges the importance of
the voting bloc, but says there has been little
organized outreach so far.
"Any demographic that is growing at the rate of
the Latino voters obviously will be of the
utmost importance to a presidential campaign,"
Trump aide Ed Brookover said when asked
about Hispanic outreach. "I know it's been
talked about, but I think it's a touch early. I
don't know of anything organized."
Trump's team expects to work closely with the
Republican National Committee, however,
which has had paid Hispanic outreach staff on
the ground in nine states.
Trump's policies and tone on immigration have
sparked passionate — and sometimes violent
— reactions from minority voters.
His vow to complete a massive wall along the
Mexican border is a pillar of his agenda. He has
also promised to impose a temporary ban on
Muslims entering the U.S., embraced plans to
deport more than 11 million immigrants in the
country illegally and described Mexico sending
rapists and criminals across the border in his
announcement speech.
He lashed out at protesters who clashed with
police outside his Tuesday rally in Albuquerque,
New Mexico. The protesters, including many
Hispanics, waved Mexican flags while others
hurled rocks at police.
"The protesters in New Mexico were thugs who
were flying the Mexican flag," Trump wrote on
Twitter. "The rally inside was big and beautiful,
but outside, criminals!"
During a Wednesday appearance in Anaheim,
he claimed "a great relationship with the
Hispanics."
"The Mexican people are great. They're going to
vote for me like crazy," he said.
Outside the Anaheim event, a small group of
protesters pummeled and decapitated a Trump
piñata as police arrested more protesters.
Conversations with Trump Hispanic supporters
across the country in recent months show many
feel especially frustrated with immigrants in the
country illegally. Many waited years for work
authorization or citizenship or have relatives
who did.
And while some embrace Trump's plans for the
wall and deportations, others say they don't
believe Trump actually plans to follow through
with his proclamations on the campaign trail.
Yet there are often a handful of Hispanic
supporters inside his rallies. Before Trump took
the stage in Albuquerque, Mary Jo Andrade, 37,
a licensed mental health counselor, said her 17-
year-old daughter is often teased in school for
backing him.
"She hears, 'Oh, you're not real Mexican. You're
not true Mexican,' " Andrade said and added, "A
lot of the time I tell her, 'Keep your silence
because of that.'

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 12:53am On May 31, 2016

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 7:53pm On Jun 01, 2016
David French

A Potential independent candidate

Iraq Vet
Bronze Star
Constitutional Lawyer

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 9:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
Fun fact: "The ten most financially sound states in the country are all heavily Republican, while all but one of the ten worst states are heavily Democratic."

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by RedCapChief(m): 9:32am On Jun 02, 2016
stanech:
A growing number of vocal Hispanic
minority speaking out in favor of
Trump
Trump has a lot of people who support him in secret, a good number of them are minorities. They won't attend rallies or say anything in public - because of political correctness, but in November, they know who they'll vote for.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 3:23pm On Jun 02, 2016
Missy89:
David French
A Potential independent candidate
Iraq Vet Bronze Star Constitutional Lawyer
He hasn't even announced yet and the media is ready to nail him grin
www.vox.com/2016/5/31/11824280/david-french-bill-kristol

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 6:23pm On Jun 02, 2016
#StrongerTogether

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzh_M14Vo4
Secretary Clinton at DNC in '08.
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by stanech: 7:14pm On Jun 02, 2016
RedCapChief:

Trump has a lot of people who support him in secret, a good number of them are minorities. They won't attend rallies or say anything in public - because of political correctness, but in November, they know who they'll vote for.

I. Agree.

That's exactly why I still think he will win in November by a landslide. A lot of Americans can now read through BS of the washington manipulative elites.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 7:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
Lifelong Republicans urge GOP to support Hillary Clinton.These are people who put the nation first before the party..#Republicans4Hillary

(CNN) — Doug Elmets' home sits as a proud time capsule to his Reagan-era roots: Framed pictures adorn the walls of a 21-year-old Elmets gripping the hand of his political hero, President Ronald Reagan; a two-foot tall bronze statue of the 40th President sits on an end table; his signed letter of congratulations to Elmets and his wife, both former White House staffers, hangs in the bookshelf surrounded by nonfiction books written by Republicans.

The Elmets of the Reagan era would never have predicted what he's now saying about the 2016 presidential race. "I've never voted for a Democrat in my entire life. And I'll vote for my first Democrat when the ballots come out in November," said Elmets, who remains a registered Republican. "I could live with four years of Hillary Clinton before I could ever live with one day of Donald Trump as president."

It's an astonishing statement for the Republican consultant and former operative who began his career as a White House staff assistant to conservative powerhouses Ed Rollins and Lee Atwater in 1981 at the dawn of the Reagan administration. Elmets became a White House spokesman under long-time presidential adviser David Gergen and then moved onto the campaign trail for Reagan's 1984 re-election campaign. He later served as press secretary for the Department of Energy until he moved to California to work in public relations, policy and political consulting. He's now using his decades of political capital to promote the once unthinkable: Hillary Clinton for president.

Elmets said she's more qualified than the "xenophobic and scary" Trump. "I don't believe Donald Trump is a Republican. I think Donald Trump is a brand. And he's managed to hoodwink America into believing he will lead this country through the fire. I think he will thrust us into the fire," he said. The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Elmets joins what's being called on Twitter, #RepublicansforHillary.

At times mocked on social media or a hashtag invoked by both sides to insult the other, the moniker borrows from the notion of the "Reagan Democrats," who crossed party lines to vote Republican, drawn to the charismatic Ronald Reagan in 1980.

Elmets and others like him bet Donald Trump will have the opposite effect -- propelling Republicans to the Democrats' candidate. The sentiment is expanding beyond social media to active support by known Republicans for Clinton. Elmets is not the only known Republican to do so.

Hedge fund manager William Oberndorf, who has contributed approximately $1.5 million in the last year to Republican candidates and causes, told CNN in a statement: "If it is Trump vs. Clinton, and there is no viable third party candidate, I will be voting for Hillary Clinton." Oberndorf stressed he will not financially support Clinton or any Democratic PACs, but his denial of funding or support for the presumptive Republican nominee is clear.

Recent polls show the numbers of Republicans breaking toward Clinton does remain under 10% among self- identified Republicans. An ABC News/Washington Post poll found 8% of self-identified Republicans support Clinton, 7% in a Fox News poll, and 6% in both a CBS News/New York Times and NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll. Those single-digit figures are nearly on par with what Democratic candidates snagged from Republicans in exit polls in recent presidential election years.

President Barack Obama and Democratic candidates John Kerry (2004) and Al Gore (2000) all won between 6%-8% support from Republicans, according to exit poll data. But should the national race between Trump and Clinton run close, as recent polling suggests, the "Republicans for Hillary" supporters could be a voting bloc, not simply a snarky social media hashtag.

"I do think there are a lot of disenfranchised Republicans who can't believe Donald Trump will be or should be the nominee," said Elmets, adding Trump lacks a moral compass or the core values of the party. "I believe as the campaign evolves and Donald Trump continues down this path, Hillary Clinton is going to look like a much more sympathetic character than she might today. Republicans will come along eventually. I do think they will do it publicly at some point or they'll privately do it in the polling booth in November." Publicly, national GOP leaders are warming to their presumptive nominee.

House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Lindsay Graham have moved away from more hardline positions on Trump to call for party unity. Former 2016 rival Marco Rubio, who famously sparred with Trump just a few months ago, said: "I want to be helpful, I don't want to be harmful because I don't want Hillary Clinton to be president." Elmets refuses to follow those prominent leaders in his party, saying the GOP must look inward and evolve away from Trump.

He said watching the violence and anger at Trump events only proves to him why Reagan Republicans need to vote for Clinton. "I, like so many people throughout the world, are horrified by what we see coming alive on our TVs as we see people fighting and disrupting.

The rallies are an indication of where America is going if Donald Trump gets elected President. Is that what we want?"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/31/politics/hillary-clinton-republican-supporters/

2 Likes

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 8:47pm On Jun 02, 2016
Ipsos/Reuters Poll
Hillary Clinton-43% Trump-34%
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/ipsos-reuters-24596

1 Like

Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 9:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
ValerianSteel:
He hasn't even announced yet and the media is ready to nail him grin

www.vox.com/2016/5/31/11824280/david-french-bill-kristol

You mean the liberal media?
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 10:39pm On Jun 02, 2016
Missy89:

You mean the liberal media?
Don't play that card love.At least the facts in the Vox article are true for starters undecided
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by Missy89(f): 11:22pm On Jun 02, 2016
ValerianSteel:
Don't play that card love.At least the facts in the Vox article are true for starters undecided

Vote French! Save the republic cool
Re: American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! by ValerianSteel(m): 11:32pm On Jun 02, 2016
Missy89:

Vote French! Save the republic cool
Goodluck with your choice Missy,technically French wouldn't get that much coverage,he would really need to sell himself to the country,he's gonna be the "who's that guy","where did he come from","What has he ever done", kinda candidate but hey am welcome to any candidate that would split Trump's vote grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (539)

Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc / American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.