Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) (6065 Views)

Viola Onwuliri's Son Beats Wife, Locks Her Up In The Bathroom - Pointblanknews / My Take On Lagos State Shops Demolition / Imo State Government Demolishes Shops Under The High Tension Wire,traders Lament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
The Ibos are known to be diligent in their business and therefore hardly consider rest day or holiday as an option.

This is why the Igbo day was initiated to give the people a day to rest and reflect on their lives in what ever place they currently occupy and rule. In this end, they are removed from business environment and the thought of it to ponder on the past, present and future of her land and where they currently occupy.

It is always a wonderful day to some people who are longing for a holiday and a sort of sad day to other business men who feel deprived of the days income and those non Ibos who will end up spending the whole day without any patronage from customers who happens to be observing the stay at home Igbo day celebration.

Here in Jos, the markets are dead (don't ask me for pix) as the Ibos make this sacrifice to stay at home for their health and also tell stories of past travail to their children and children's children.

Happy Igbo day.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 29, 2014
At a time, the Jews went home and turned their place around!
Now is the time for Igbos to come and let us build our broken walls!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by gtrust: 12:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
Igbo Day in Plateau State

Odikwa risky oh!!!
Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by phantom(m): 1:49pm On Nov 29, 2014
so some Igbos are still in the north?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 29, 2014
Some union members that defy the instruction are having a rough time.

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 29, 2014
Many shop owners are hanging around. Its not easy for an Ibo man to stay off his business. Too many vehicles with the owners walking around or gisting but closed shops.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
Nice camera!

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Descartes: 2:54pm On Nov 29, 2014
We control the economy

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by christejames(m): 2:58pm On Nov 29, 2014
Very beautiful! The Igbos are the bedrock of the economy of this entity called Nigeria. Chukwu gozie ndigbo nine!!!

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by IleIfe2(m): 2:59pm On Nov 29, 2014
It baffles me how you guys derive pleasure in deceiving yourselves. You went to Ahmadu Bello way, a stretch that is over two thousand meters long, took pictures of hustler shops (One building that houses touts and phone stealers) near Hamaz and come on nairaland to declare that Jos economy is at a standstill because ibos no come market. Why do you guys reason like this?

20 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Rexhenrex(m): 3:03pm On Nov 29, 2014
the whole place is really dry because of the Igbo day indeed,the igbos dominate the economy of naija..long live the igbos long live Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by IleIfe2(m): 3:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
Rexhenrex:
the whole place is really dry because of the Igbo day indeed,the igbos dominate the economy of naija..long live the igbos long live Nigeria.

Rexhenrex:

christejames:
Very beautiful! The Igbos are the bedrock of the economy of this entity called Nigeria. Chukwu gozie ndigbo nine!!!

SMH

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by IleIfe2(m): 3:08pm On Nov 29, 2014
noblezone:
At a time, the Jews went home and turned their place around!
Now is the time for Igbos to come and let us build our broken walls!

go home, you are not the consumers. Others are selling what you are selling.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 29, 2014
IleIfe2:

go home, you are not the consumers. Others are selling what you are selling.

You will not understand. The others you are talking about would wish they did not open for trade today. It was all hands to the jaw and looking around as if stranded in your own office.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
IleIfe2:
It baffles me how you guys derive pleasure in deceiving yourselves? You went you Ahmadu Bello way, a stretch that is over two thousand meters long, took pictures of hustlers shop (touts and phones stealers) near Hamaz and come on nairaland to declare that Jos economy is at a standstill because ibos no come market. Why do you guys reason like this?
I am glad you are in Jos. But did you notice something in the pictures compared to normal trade days? What I posted is just my observation. It may not be the same every where. Stop hating and address the issue at hand.

14 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Rexhenrex(m): 4:09pm On Nov 29, 2014
IleIfe2:
It baffles me how you guys derive pleasure in deceiving yourselves? You went you Ahmadu Bello way, a stretch that is over two thousand meters long, took pictures of hustlers shop (touts and phones stealers) near Hamaz and come on nairaland to declare that Jos economy is at a standstill because ibos no come market. Why do you guys reason like this?

hey,it seems to me that you are having a personal vendetta with the Igbo's what the op is trying to pass across is that the igbo 's contribute a lot to the Nigerian economy...proudly Igbo if u vex drive straight to hell.

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by xtervaganza(m): 4:11pm On Nov 29, 2014
Descartes:
We control the economy
....of your room

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by xtervaganza(m): 4:13pm On Nov 29, 2014
IleIfe2:
i taya for d mumu ppl o lol

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Descartes: 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2014
xtervaganza:
....of your room
No dear, but of this dubious entity called "Nigeria" wink cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by xtervaganza(m): 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2014
Descartes:

No dear, but of this dubious entity called "Nigeria" wink cheesy grin
dubious? How thoughtful of you

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Descartes: 4:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
xtervaganza:
dubious? How thoughtful of you

Yea, you heard me well wink

Were your forefathers consulted before the Northern and Southern "Nigeria" were merged in 1914 by Lord Lugard? undecided

You see... wink

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by SeverusSnape(m): 4:44pm On Nov 29, 2014
Happy NDI IGBO DAY TO IGBOS IN JOS.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by solid3(m): 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
Do not b fooled, most of those shops have back door, thats y you see some of them hanging around. Trust ibo man?

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2014
solid3:
Do not b fooled, most of those shops have back door, thats y you see some of them hanging around. Trust ibo man?

even the storey building. I just reported that many of the shop owners are around gisting with others. Yes, its not easy for an Ibo man to stay off business, but they are actually off today. Those that may open are those not bound by any Ibo union group. Don't always think evil of ibos like my friend always do and doubt if I am one.
Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2014
Igbos are holding the Nigerian economy by the balls ...if they decide to squeeze It eeeh.. Wahala go dey
Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by IleIfe2(m): 4:58pm On Nov 29, 2014
victorels:

I am glad you are in Jos. But did you notice something in the pictures compared to normal trade days? What I posted is just my observation. It may not be the same every where. Stop hating and address the issue at hand.

people are scared of being attacked and being careful. you took pictures of banks and those criminals and phone repairer shops near hamaz then come on nairaland to declare ibos own plateau. na wa for una o.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2014
IleIfe2:

people are scared of being attacked and being careful. you took pictures of banks and those criminals and phone repairer shops near hamaz then come on nairaland to declare ibos own plateau. na wa for una o.

where in my post did you see me saying that Ibos own plateau. I said Ibos are observing a stay at home and in that regard, their shops are on locks. If other tribes own those places, why are they under locks on a Saturday that is always extra busy?
Don't always show your complex.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by AustineE1: 5:09pm On Nov 29, 2014
IleIfe2:
ordinarily i didnt want to contribute to this thread but i happen to be in Jos plateau state now and i can tell you that the state,especially the business area can be classified as a ghost town,all roads now leads to crest hotel,venue of the igbo day celebratn.from Ahmadu bello-way,to farin Gada,massalacin Jumai to old Bukuru park,from Rukuba satellite market to fadama market,everywhere seems deserted.
When i glanced at ur moniker and realized that you are Yoruba,i shaked my head and said to the guy by my side 'Yorubas and their usual struggle to compete with Igbos',he smiled and asked the bar man to bring more bottles of 'hero' beer and he exclaimed,'who God has blessed,no man can fight'...God bless Nigeria!

22 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by IleIfe2(m): 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
AustineE1:

ordinarily i didnt want to contribute to this thread but i happen to be in Jos plateau state now and i can tell you that the state,especially the business area can be classified as a ghost town,all roads now leads to crest hotel,venue of the igbo day celebratn.from Ahnadu bello-way,to farin Gada,massalacin Jumai to old Bukuru park,from Rukuba satellite market to fadama market,everywhere seems deserted.
When i glanced at ur moniker and realized that you are Yoruba,i shaked my head and said to the guy by my side 'Yorubas and their usual struggle to compete with Igbos',he smiled and asked the bar man to bring more bottles of 'hero' beer and he exclaimed,'who God has blessed,no man can fight'...God bless Nigeria!

Whatever makes you happy in your world. "Yoruba struggling to compete with ibo". in Nigeria or another country? Yeah all those ibos selling padlocks, pirated cds, Chinese jeans and felele football from bukuru park to rwang pam stadium hold the plateau economy by the balls together with the spare part sellers in farin gada and electronics shops in masalacin jumaa. na true they are the only ones there, they run Plateau state. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by phantom(m): 5:23pm On Nov 29, 2014
AustineE1:

ordinarily i didnt want to contribute to this thread but i happen to be in Jos plateau state now and i can tell you that the state,especially the business area can be classified as a ghost town,all roads now leads to crest hotel,venue of the igbo day celebratn.from Ahnadu bello-way,to farin Gada,massalacin Jumai to old Bukuru park,from Rukuba satellite market to fadama market,everywhere seems deserted.
grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
From my analysis of the picture, I believe the OP is delibrately exaggerating the effect of the self imposed holiday on plateau state.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Day in Plateau State - Shops Under locks (Pix Included) by Youngzedd(m): 5:51pm On Nov 29, 2014
An igbo man who survived a
ghastly car accident found himself
in d hospital Bed when he woke.
He looked around and saw his 3
sons there.

Man: it's good that you all are here

Wife: yes Nna anyi, we all need to
be by your side at this time.

Man: that's wonderful, but who con dey shop abeg?

ProudlyIgbo.

Nwafo all the way from OTU Onitsha.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NERC Expresses Gratitude To Jonathan Government For Steady Power / I’m Not Interested In Becoming PDP Chairman — Bode George / Nigeria: IHRC Cautiously Welcomes Inquiry Findings Into Nigeria Massacre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.