Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Should We Stop Giving Tithe? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Stop Giving Tithe? (20149 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / How Do We Stop Islam ? / Why I Will Not Stop Giving To The Work Of God (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 3:38pm On Feb 27, 2009
Debosky pls were do Jesus christ talked on tITHE PLS,and the scripures too.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by debosky(m): 3:53pm On Feb 27, 2009
READ - my friend, It is clearly emboldened in my post. wink
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 3:56pm On Feb 27, 2009
as for me i have not seen were Jesus nor His disciples spoke on Tithe,pls quote were He did this pls.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:00pm On Feb 27, 2009
@debosky
All said and done, tithing was NEVER preached as part of the new convenant which we belong to. It was never preached by Jesus or the Apostles so it cannot possibly be an "approved" christian doctrine. You have to realize that the Jews were practising a seperate religion at that time and even though certain teachings were brought over from the Jewish religion to christianity tithing was never part of what was adopted. infact tithing was not smuggled into the church till 586AD after the council of macon. At that time the catholic church was broke and they need to raise money they then decided to resucitate the ancient tradition of Jewish/ Egyptian / babylonian tithing by quoting Malachi 3: 10 out of context. Please note that so far nobody as said it is wrong to tithe per se, it is the unscriptural way it is being preached (through deception) as compulsory for christians that we are protesting about. If christians were meant to tithe the new testament would have recorded clear instruction on it. in fact the principle of tithes contravenes the teachings of the new testament which preach that we should give freely and cheerfully as our hearts desire. also note that the tithes of the bible was not money but agricultural products and it was also given to the poor not only the levites(who don't exist today neither can anyone represent them)

eghosaobas:

This Kunle of a man sounds gifted,i have read some of his postings and contributions they are well writen and ansered,my brother pls keep the flag flying till will chase out all these so call pastors.
Thanx  wink
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 4:01pm On Feb 27, 2009
Pls Debosky we work with fact and proof here,pls if you are arguing anything here pls make sure your proofs are there and clear.We are talking of Bible now,you should be able to quote verses were you are disagreeing on.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 4:05pm On Feb 27, 2009
debosky i hope you got that?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 4:09pm On Feb 27, 2009
Kunle ,you see most of us have been hardly worked on by our so called pastors,that even some of this people dont even remember their names anymore because they have taken their pastors as their semi-god. And these pastors are very good in brain washing. I thank God for placing a curse on whoever will either add or remove from the bible,if not each pastor would have written their own bible to suit their purposes.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:14pm On Feb 27, 2009
The Matthew 23 : 23 and luke 11:42 that pastors use to confuse people not well grounded in christianity that Jesus endorsed tithing was not even speaking about tithes. in that passage Jesus was castigating the pharisees for ignoring the weightier matters of the law such as Justice mercy and honesty and focusing on un important issues like tithing just like our mordern day pharisees(pastors) do today. He wasn't preaching or talking about tithing he just made a reference to it while castigating the pharisees. Also note that the tithes mentioned their are cumin and mint not money or income that our pastors tell us today
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:17pm On Feb 27, 2009
segyemaro:

Kunle ,you see most of us have been hardly worked on by our so called pastors,that even some of this people dont even remember their names anymore because they have taken their pastors as their semi-god. And these pastors are very good in brain washing. I thank God for placing a curse on whoever will either add or remove from the bible,if not each pastor would have written their own bible to suit their purposes.

That not withstanding pastors are constantly preaching their opinions are biases as the word of God. they twist scripture to suit there purpose and in some cases add and remove from the bible.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 4:37pm On Feb 27, 2009
yea kunle i got ur point but it would have been worst if the pastors were allowed to write and publish their own bible.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by debosky(m): 6:12pm On Feb 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

The Matthew 23 : 23 and luke 11:42 that pastors use to confuse people not well grounded in christianity that Jesus endorsed tithing [b]was not even speaking about tithe[/b]s. in that passage Jesus was castigating the pharisees for ignoring the weightier matters of the law such as Justice mercy and honesty and focusing on un important issues like tithing just like our mordern day pharisees(pastors) do today. He wasn't preaching or talking about tithing he just made a reference to it [/b]while castigating the pharisees. Also note that the tithes mentioned their are cumin and mint not money or income that our pastors tell us today

How do you come to such a conclusion?

Once again

Matthew 23:2323
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness.[b] You should have practiced the latte[/b]r, without neglecting the former."

How clearer do you want it? YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED THE LATTER.

Jesus said they should have practiced the tithe. I don't have mint or cumin, I don't have produce, so why can't I tithe my money today? Again, leave this focus on pastors and dwell on the meat of the issue.

How can you say Jesus didn't talk about tithing when he explicitly said [b]YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED THE LATTER?

I posted a teaching to the Pharisees as well on marriage, why do we accept that teaching since it was also 'castigating the pharisees'?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by otokx(m): 11:11pm On Feb 27, 2009
why the silence? Don't worry i will help out.

Debosky who did the You refer to there? Was it by any chance the pharisees? are you a pharisee?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by otokx(m): 11:12pm On Feb 27, 2009
Does teacher of the Law sound familiar?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by otokx(m): 11:13pm On Feb 27, 2009
Can he be referring to our modern day Pastors?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by debosky(m): 12:54pm On Feb 28, 2009
otokx:

why the silence? Don't worry i will help out.

Debosky who did the You refer to there? Was it by any chance the pharisees? are you a pharisee?
You guys keep asking this same question - refer to my previous posts. When Jesus was correcting wrong impressions about MARRIAGE, did he not speak to the Pharisees? Are we Pharisees by believing God did not intend for divorce but created man and woman to be together and not be put asunder?

Refer to my post on the previous page and answer that question yourself. Are you a pharisee?

That question is moot to me - Jesus did not utter idle words - he never condoned any practice that he felt should be abolished, especially when making a categorical statement about it. YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THE LATTER.

So are we also supposed to disregard justice mercy and faithfulness because he was referring to the pharisees? 
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by otokx(m): 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2009
You (Pharisee) should have done the latter.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 6:57pm On Feb 28, 2009
debosky,you are neither here nor there,pls be specific.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 7:39pm On Feb 28, 2009
debosky:

How do you come to such a conclusion?

Once again

Matthew 23:2323
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—[b]justice, mercy and faithfulness.[b] You should have practiced the latte[/b]r, without neglecting the former."
[/b]
How clearer do you want it? YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED THE LATTER.

Jesus said they should have practiced the tithe. I don't have mint or cumin, I don't have produce, so why can't I tithe my money today? Again, leave this focus on pastors and dwell on the meat of the issue.

How can you say Jesus didn't talk about tithing when he explicitly said YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTICED THE LATTER?

I posted a teaching to the Pharisees as well on marriage, why do we accept that teaching since it was also 'castigating the pharisees'?
Bros stop mis-quoting the bible Justice mercy and faithfulness was what Jesus was talking about when he said YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTISED THE LATTER. I know you didn't mis -read it you are just being manipulative. All the same the teaching wasn't about tithes Jesus just made a reference to it cos of the pharisees who weren't christians though they were worshipping God. TITHING WAS NEVER TAUGHT, PREACHED OR COMMANDED TO THE CHRISTIANS IN THE BIBLE.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 8:59pm On Mar 01, 2009
some people doesnt undewrstand this bible,thats why they are beign decieved by these pastors.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by benedictac(f): 11:08am On Mar 02, 2009
eghosaobas:

some people doesnt undewrstand this bible,thats why they are beign decieved by these pastors.

De 14:22 ¶ Thou shalt surely tithe all the increase of thy seed, that which cometh forth from the field year by year.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 1:40pm On Mar 02, 2009
benedictac:

De 14:22 ¶ Thou shalt surely tithe all the increase of thy seed, that which cometh forth from the field year by year.

So how does this relate to the weekly / monthly monetary tithes pastors ask you to pay And if you want to be truthful verse 26 of the passage you posted instructed the tither to EAT his tithes in the presence of God with his family.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by benedictac(f): 2:50pm On Mar 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

So how does this relate to the weekly / monthly monetary tithes pastors ask you to pay And if you want to be truthful verse 26 of the passage you posted instructed the tither to EAT his tithes in the presence of God with his family.

at that time they were mainly into farming and you know what that means.

Any way have this research with biblical backups.

TITHE
A tenth, the proportion of a man's income devoted to sacred purposes from time immemorial, Ge 14:20; 28:22. This was prescribed in the Mosaic law, Nu 31:31. A twofold tithe was required of each Jewish citizen. The first consisted of one-tenth of the produce of his fields, trees, flocks, and herds, to be given to God as the sovereign Proprietor of all things and as the king of the Jews, Le 27:30-32; 1Sa 8:15,17. The proceeds of this tax were devoted to the maintenance of the Levites in their respective cities, Nu 18:21-24. A person might pay this tax in money, adding one-fifth to its estimated value. The Levites paid a tenth part of what they received to the priests, Nu 18:26-28. The second tithe required of each landholder was one-tenth of the nine parts of his produce remaining after the first tithe, to be expended at the tabernacle or temple in entertaining the Levites, his own family, etc., changing it first into money, if on account of his remoteness he chose to do so, De 12:17-19,22-29; 14:22-27. Every third year a special provision was made for the poor, either out of this second tithe or in addition to it, De 14:28-29. These tithes were not burdensome; but the pious Israelite found himself the richer for their payment, though it does not seem to have been enforced by any legal penalties. The system of tithes was renewed both before and after the captivity, 2Ch 31:5,6,12; Ne 10:37; 12:44; 13:5; but they were not always regularly paid, and hence the divine blessing was withheld, Mal 3:8-12. The Pharisees were scrupulously exemplary in paying their tithes, but neglected the more important duties of love to God and man, Mt 23:23.

The principle of the ancient tithes, namely, that ministers of the gospel and objects of benevolence should be provided for by the whole people of God, according to their means, is fully recognized in Scripture as applicable to the followers of Christ. He sent his servants forth, two and two, without provisions or purses, to receive their support from the people, since "the laborer is worthy of his hire," Mt 10:9-14; Lu 10:4-8,16. Paul also reasons in the same way, 1Co 9:13,14; Ga 6:6. For purpose of piety and beneficence, he directed the Corinthians, and virtually all Christians, to lay aside from their income, on the first day of the week, as the Lord had prospered them, 1Co 16:2. There is no reason to doubt that the early Christians gave more freely of their substance than did the ancient Jews, Ac 4:34-36; 2Co 8:1-4.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 3:25pm On Mar 02, 2009
@BENEDICTA
Before you start to engage me on this issue of tithes i suggest you read a previous thread i created on it, after that i can educate you further if you need more understanding. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113108.0.html
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by benedictac(f): 3:27pm On Mar 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

@BENEDICTA
Before you start to engage me on this issue of tithes i suggest you read a previous thread i created on it, after that i can educate you further if you need more understanding. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113108.0.html

I dont need people of your beliefs to teach me coz i may just be heading to hell.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2009
benedictac:

I dont need people of your beliefs to teach me coz i may just be heading to hell.
Why do you want to go to hell  undecided it's not too late for you to repent and seek knowledge about the true gospel of our lord Jesus christ. i can assure you that you have been substantially led astray by our mordern day preachers. I would not teach you my beliefs but i encourage you to go and read the new testament  of the bible from the beginning to the end with understanding. I am sure the holy spirit would reveal the true gospel of Jesus to you. it is there written in black and white and you can learn from it yourself.

Ps: special emphasis should be given to the sermons and teachings of Jesus when reading the new testament.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by benedictac(f): 4:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

Why do you want to go to hell undecided it's not too late for you to repent and seek knowledge about the true gospel of our lord Jesus christ. i can assure you that you have been substantially led astray by our mordern day preachers. I would not teach you my beliefs but i encourage you to go and read the new testament of the bible from the beginning to the end with understanding. I am sure the holy spirit would reveal the true gospel of Jesus to you. it is there written in black and white and you can learn from it yourself.

Ps: special emphasis should be given to the sermons and teachings of Jesus when reading the new testament.

Since you know it all, i dont know it all that is why i am still learning. the bible says we all posses knowledge and knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. If anyone thinks or imagines that he knows something, he does not know as he ought to know but if anyone loves God, he is known by God. 1Cor. 8:1-3
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
@benedicta
Just go and study your bible well like the bereans christian less you be deceived and taken advantage of.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by benedictac(f): 4:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
Kunle,

thank you.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:57pm On Mar 02, 2009
benedictac:

Kunle,
thank you.

2 Timothy 2:15:

15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by debosky(m): 5:03pm On Mar 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

Bros stop mis-quoting the bible Justice mercy and faithfulness was what Jesus was talking about when he said YOU SHOULD HAVE PRACTISED THE LATTER. I know you didn't mis -read it you are just being manipulative. All the same the teaching wasn't about tithes Jesus just made a reference to it cos of the pharisees who weren't christians though they were worshipping God. TITHING WAS NEVER TAUGHT, PREACHED OR COMMANDED TO THE CHRISTIANS IN THE BIBLE.
All this in the name of defending your position?

Let me quote the scripture again, ok - the latter referred to Justice Faithfulness and I erred on that, but notwithstanding, Jesus said WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE FORMER.

Jesus said do not neglect the tithe yes or no?

Now regarding speaking to the Pharisees or not, who was Jesus speaking to regarding marriage? Was it to Christians? If it wasn't, why do we accept those teachings and want to NEGLECT THE FORMER?

How can you classify this particular teaching as referring to Pharisees but not the teaching on MARRIAGE? ANSWER THIS QUESTION KUNLE.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by cfaithtv: 5:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
Tithe is very important and we should not stop.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 5:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
Tithes was a jewish custom hence jesus christ said the pharisees should not neglect it. Tithes was NEVER introduced to christianity in any of christ's teachings or any of the apostles after him, that is evident enough from the bible, that apart the law came to an end after the death of christ, hence is not relevant to us christians.

Romans 10:4:
4For Christ is the end of the Law [the limit at which it ceases to be, for the Law leads up to Him Who is the fulfillment of its types, and in Him the purpose which it was designed to accomplish is fulfilled. That is, the purpose of the Law is fulfilled in Him] as the means of righteousness (right relationship to God) for everyone who trusts in and adheres to and relies on Him.

Amplified bible

Also read hebrews 7 : 11-18 which dealt a final deadly blow on the practise and uselessness of tithing.

Hebrews 7:5:
5And it is true that those descendants of Levi who are charged with the priestly office are[b] commanded in the Law [/b] to take tithes from the people--which means, from their brethren--though these have descended from Abraham.

Hebrews 7:11-18:
11Now if perfection (a perfect fellowship between God and the worshiper) had been attainable by the Levitical priesthood--for under it the people were given the Law--why was it further necessary that there should arise another and different kind of Priest, one after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one appointed after the order and rank of Aaron?
   12For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is of necessity an alteration of the law [concerning the priesthood] as well.

13For the One of Whom these things are said belonged [not to the priestly line but] to another tribe, no member of which has officiated at the altar.

14For it is obvious that our Lord sprang from the tribe of Judah, and Moses mentioned nothing about priests in connection with that tribe.

15And this becomes more plainly evident when another Priest arises Who bears the likeness of Melchizedek,(A)

16Who has been constituted a Priest, not on the basis of a bodily legal requirement [an externally imposed command concerning His physical ancestry], but on the basis of the power of an endless and indestructible Life.

17For it is witnessed of Him, You are a Priest forever after the order (with the rank) of Melchizedek.(B)

18So a previous physical regulation and command is cancelled because of its[b] weakness and ineffectiveness and uselessness--[/b]

o BOY SHINE YOUR EYES  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

"I Fasted 29 Days With Muslims " -Christian Nigerian Lady Reveals. Photos/ Video / 3 Powerful Things Your Tongue Will Do To Your Life / RCCG Has Over 200,000 Pastors In Nigeria — Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.