Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,312 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (326295 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ovipoet: 9:29am On Jan 30, 2016
effyzie01:

It is possible to get a lecturing job with a 2.2 as a GA without even an MSc. It may be difficult in some schools though (due to partial autonomy the universities enjoy and, perhaps, departmental staff strength).

Any class of degree with an MSc (without a University teaching experience) is qualified for an AL. Fresh PhDs without any teaching experience are qualified for L2 and PhDs with teaching experience in polytechnics and colleges are employed as L1.

Rules vary from school to school but this is the NUC approved standard.

Please help me analyse this question.
Supposing I am a Nollywood actor, and I want to do my PhD in biomedical sciences alongside acting i, how possible is it?
Can I juggle btw PhD and acting synchronously?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 10:14am On Jan 30, 2016
Ovipoet:

Supposing I am a Nollywood actor, and I want to do my PhD in biomedical sciences alongside acting i, how possible is it?
Firstly, erase impossibilities from your thinking. Yur ability to manage time with priority will reflect how successful your goals will be. We have footballers that are PhD holder. You can achieve it if it is what you NEED in your life and not what you rarely WANT.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Ovipoet: 10:57am On Jan 30, 2016
jayceeabdulwasiu:

Firstly, erase impossibilities from your thinking. Yur ability to manage time with priority will reflect how successful your goals will be. We have footballers that are PhD holder. You can achieve it if it is what you NEED in your life and not what you rarely WANT.

Thanks.
I know I can, but I just want to know if I have to take a break before doing it, because I hope to for both side by side....
Re: Thread For PHD Students by obioraval(m): 3:09pm On Jan 30, 2016
effyzie01:

Your link isn't opening
Send the complete link to amlawal05@gmail.com
Thanks

I've gotten the book already. Thanks a lot
Re: Thread For PHD Students by effyzie01(m): 5:11pm On Jan 30, 2016
Ovipoet:

PhD is a time consuming venture that requires total commitment and absolute dedication. However, you can discuss the structure of your work with your supervisor and agree on a set timetable that could allow you pursue your career in acting.

In essence, I'm not saying it is impossible nor am I saying it is. But it will be really difficult. Except if you want to pursue a part-time program.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by noblealuu: 6:24pm On Jan 30, 2016
[quote author=samtol4 post=36843554].

Good evening Sir! Please would you kindly advice me on the career progression and more in-depthly, prospect in the field of M.Sc in Virology? I intend by the grace of God enrolling into it in UI this year.

I had my first degree in Clinical Lab. Science (2:2).I strongly, though of late, have a strong inkling in virology to acquire novel knowledge and exposure to this field especially as it affects combating the scourge of viruses rampaging human race.
Please, I strongly solicit your advice as well as pieces of advice from who ever comes across this piece.

Thank you!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by noblealuu: 6:26pm On Jan 30, 2016
[quote author=samtol4 post=36843554].

@Samtol4

Good evening Sir! Please would you kindly advice me on the career progression and more in-depthly, prospect in the field of M.Sc in Virology? I intend by the grace of God enrolling into it in UI this year.

I had my first degree in Clinical Lab. Science (2:2).I strongly, though of late, have a strong inkling in virology to acquire novel knowledge and exposure to this field especially as it affects combating the scourge of viruses rampaging human race.
Please, I strongly solicit your advice as well as pieces of advice from who ever comes across this piece.

Thank you!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by noblealuu: 5:38pm On Jan 31, 2016
samtol4:

SCHOLARSHIPS OFFERED for MASTER’S and PhD STUDIES
DST/NRF COLLABORATIVE POSTGRADUATE TRAINING PROGRAMME
Applications for scholarships for projects that will allow candidates to study towards a Master of Science (MSc) or a
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are invited. Successful candidates will conduct research with the Experimental Tuberculosis
and Immunology Research Group, Division of Immunology, and register in the Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences,
Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Health Sciences Faculty, University of Cape Town, under the
supervision of Associate Professor Muazzam Jacobs. The research will focus on understanding host immune responses
during tuberculosis infection.
PROJECT THEMES:
1. Host immune responses in the central nervous system: understanding neuron-T cell interactions.
2. Host immune responses in the central nervous system: understanding dendritic-T cell interactions.
3. Malaria-Tuberculosis co-infection: effects on host mediated immunity against tuberculosis.
4. TNF- mediated immune function against M. tuberculosis: New frontiers
5. Humanised mice: Investigating human immune responses against tuberculosis during HIV-TB co-infection.
VALUES AND TENURE OF THE SCHOLARSHIPS
Master’s - R80 000 per annum. The awards are tenable for 1 year, with renewal for a second year contingent on
satisfactory academic progress.
Doctoral - R110 000 per annum. The awards are tenable for one year, with renewal for a further two years, depending
on satisfactory academic progress.
ACADEMIC CONDITIONS:
Candidates applying for the Master’s awards must have a BSc Honours, and
Candidates applying for the doctoral awards must have an MSc or an MBChB degree in the following disciplines:
 Infectious Disease and Immunology
 Virology
 Microbiology
 Biochemistry
 Physiology
 Neurology
 Genetics
 Anatomical Pathology, or
 any related discipline.
Successful candidates will be trained in all technical aspects and methodology required to successfully complete the
project. Experience in flow cytometry, tissue culture or working with small animal models will be an advantage but will
not be determining factors for applicants.
Successful applicants will be required to comply with the university’s policies, practices and procedures for the
postgraduate sector.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
 a letter of application;
 a comprehensive CV;
 academic transcripts, and
 the names and details of at least two contactable referees.
Selection of eligible candidates will be made by a sub-committee in the Department of Clinical laboratory Sciences
CONTACT DETAILS: Complete applications and enquiries should be directed to Associate Professor Muazzam Jacobs.
Email: muazzam.jacobs@uct.ac.za TelephMuazzam Jacobs.
Email: muazzam.jacobs@uct.ac.za Telephone (W): 021 406 60
. PLEASE SAMTOL4 etal do justice to the above-asked question. Thank you!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayriginal: 9:46am On Feb 01, 2016
eitsei:
there's a lecturer in my school who graduated with a 2.2 and only has a master degree.. He won the best research paper during his master program in Netherlands

When was he appointed?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kenkeye: 10:27am On Feb 01, 2016
Very interesting and helpful thread. Please how easy/difficult it is for someone who graduated with MPhil/PhD grade from a postgraduate school in Nigeria to secure a PhD admission outside the country, maybe universities in Europe?

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by eitsei(m): 10:34am On Feb 01, 2016
jayriginal:

When was he appointed?
I think 2014/2015 session
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayriginal: 10:43am On Feb 01, 2016
eitsei:
I think 2014/2015 session

Thats quite unusual.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by eitsei(m): 11:02am On Feb 01, 2016
jayriginal:

Thats quite unusual.
yeah
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 9:09am On Feb 02, 2016
jayriginal:

Thats quite unusual.

Thee is nothing impossible. We all have great abilities in us but situations warrants low productivity sometimes. I graduated with 2.2 from OOU but I will be graduating with 4.45 from Unilag (masters degree)
Re: Thread For PHD Students by noblealuu: 6:13pm On Feb 02, 2016
jayceeabdulwasiu:

Thee is nothing impossible. We all have great abilities in us but situations warrants low productivity sometimes. I graduated with 2.2 from OOU but I will be graduating with 4.45 from Unilag (masters degree)

Thumbs up!

I need same grace oh Lord when the chips are down (when I will start my PG).

We don't mind reading your success story, sir! Study tips, specialty etc.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 9:09pm On Feb 02, 2016
noblealuu:

Thumbs up!

I need same grace oh Lord when the chips are down (when I will start my PG).

We don't mind reading your success story, sir! Study tips, specialty etc.
My fellow countryman, it wasn't by my power but grace of God. My proposed career job is to be a lecturer with valued integrity. I know nobody but i believe when the moment comes, my position will be reserved for me. The journey started when i teach in a school for almost 2 years which i was one of the best teacher in the school with an award for child development but i was always conscious that i must upgrade my knowledge. So i struggled to obtain a masters form bc i used my entire salary, pass the entry examination at Unilag, source for my tuition fee and i took the risk when i resigned which many people thought i was insane for that decision. However, one thing i realized early was "It will be difficult to combine research base degree with an engaged work". Another secret is immediately i resumed for the programme, i mingled with both old and young in my department and i became a loverboy. That networking gave me the privilege of getting things easy and i never get stingy with knowledge because i shared everything i know. It got to a stage people complained and i also realised that most of my decisions and contributions in the classroom and outside it are weird because i love assessing and evaluating each word in a statement and i don't like people thinking narrowly interms of making decions. In a nutshell, i think what favoured me was i do see myself as someone who don't like reading as such, so i make sure i attend lectures and i read little to understand and not to pass.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 9:33pm On Feb 02, 2016
Kenkeye:
Very interesting and helpful thread. Please how easy/difficult it is for someone who graduated with MPhil/PhD grade from a postgraduate school in Nigeria to secure a PhD admission outside the country, maybe universities in Europe?
It all depends on ypur school of choice. There is always course by course evaluation which makes then assess your courses. Even if you are not qualify, some schools may require you to pass some additional courses when you enrolled. Just believe and try your luck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by noblealuu: 4:57am On Feb 03, 2016
jayceeabdulwasiu:

My fellow countryman, it wasn't by my power but grace of God. My proposed career job is to be a lecturer with valued integrity. I know nobody but i believe when the moment comes, my position will be reserved for me. The journey started when i teach in a school for almost 2 years which i was one of the best teacher in the school with an award for child development but i was always conscious that i must upgrade my knowledge. So i struggled to obtain a masters form bc i used my entire salary, pass the entry examination at Unilag, source for my tuition fee and i took the risk when i resigned which many people thought i was insane for that decision. However, one thing i realized early was "It will be difficult to combine research base degree with an engaged work". Another secret is immediately i resumed for the programme, i mingled with both old and young in my department and i became a loverboy. That networking gave me the privilege of getting things easy and i never get stingy with knowledge because i shared everything i know. It got to a stage people complained and i also realised that most of my decisions and contributions in the classroom and outside it are weird because i love assessing and evaluating each word in a statement and i don't like people thinking narrowly interms of making decions. In a nutshell, i think what favoured me was i do see myself as someone who don't like reading as such, so i make sure i attend lectures and i read little to understand and not to pass.

God bless you sir. I have got some nuggets for success reading your submission in-between the lines. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ohem(m): 8:20am On Feb 03, 2016
Hello house! Please I need someone with good knowledge of Transana software to do some audio transcribing. I can be reached on 07086466405. Tanx
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kenkeye: 8:31am On Feb 03, 2016
jayceeabdulwasiu:

It all depends on ypur school of choice. There is always course by course evaluation which makes then assess your courses. Even if you are not qualify, some schools may require you to pass some additional courses when you enrolled. Just believe and try your luck

Thanks and God bless. Please one more thing, which transcript do you think is more important for PhD consideration, the undergraduate or the master's degree transcript? There is one PhD admission that I applied for sometimes ago, I presented both certificates, transcript for master's degree but I did not have access to my undergraduate transcript at that time. What do you think about this? Hope this won't dent the chance of being selected?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 8:47am On Feb 03, 2016
Kenkeye:

Thanks and God bless. Please one more thing, which transcript do you think is more important for PhD consideration, the undergraduate or the master's degree transcript? There is one PhD admission that I applied for sometimes ago, I presented both certificates, transcript for master's degree but I did not have access to my undergraduate transcript at that time. What do you think about this? Hope this won't dent the chance of being selected?
They normally request for both transcript but the masters degree transcript is more important because it reveals the courses you've passed. I always believe that if you have your finance, this oyinbos will give your soft landing to admit you. But it's advisable to get your undergraduate transcript ready for presentation

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kenkeye: 12:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
Thanks @ jayceeabdulwasiu
Re: Thread For PHD Students by MrDojo(m): 3:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
Good day house I've some questions to ask our more expirenced hands.....

1. As a prospective Post-graduate(M.sc) student do I need to have reseach dissertation in mind or during the course of study I'll figure something out or a topic will be assigned to me...?!

2. Please I want to know the importance of making a distiction @ masters level (if its very important or not..?!).

3. In Nigerian universities are Phd students paid..?!

Thanks in anticipation...
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayriginal: 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
jayceeabdulwasiu:

You are right.

Congrats on your Masters.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Donemmy(m): 4:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
Akobi Emmanuel E
HND: Agric Ext & Mgt
Bsc: Agric Eons & Ext (Benin rep)
PGD: Criminology & security studies (Noun)
Msc: Criminology & police science ( SDU USA).
An intending PHD student.
Research interest: criminal pyshology (criminal mindset) or fraud motivation.
I need your advice/suggestion in respect to choice of institution:

3 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by drpialabi: 5:01pm On Feb 04, 2016
jayriginal:

Yes, serious Universities follow these guidelines in employing Lecturers today.

Now, about those three Lecturer1s, one scenario is that they came into the system a lot earlier (ie before the strict enforcement of the policy)and just stagnated. There are examples of Professors who dont have PhDs. Perhaps they were granted a moratorium along the way.

Another scenario is that they came in with a 2.1 and a Masters and so they started from Graduate Assistant/Assistant Lecturer up to where they are currently. Trust me when I say that they can never reach the rank of Senior Lecturer without a PhD.

What do you mean by serious universities when we are talking of the naija way.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kenkeye: 5:09pm On Feb 04, 2016
MrDojo:
Good day house I've some questions to ask our more expirenced hands.....

1. As a prospective Post-graduate(M.sc) student do I need to have reseach dissertation in mind or during the course of study I'll figure something out or a topic will be assigned to me...?!

2. Please I want to know the importance of making a distiction @ masters level (if its very important or not..?!).

3. In Nigerian universities are Phd students paid..?!

Thanks in anticipation...

To your first question, you may not have any project topic in mind because you don't know much yet

To your second question, whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. With very good grade at the end of MSc, you'll have no limit.

To your third question, as far as i know, PhD students don't get paid here, except maybe the research is sponsored or the student is on scholarship.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayriginal: 6:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
drpialabi:

What do you mean by serious universities when we are talking of the naija way.

I mean Universities that at least pretend to have standards.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by MrDojo(m): 7:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
Kenkeye:

To your first question, you may not have any project topic in mind because you don't know much yet

To your second question, whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. With very good grade at the end of MSc, you'll have no limit.

To your third question, as far as i know, PhD students don't get paid here, except maybe the research is sponsored or the student is on scholarship.

Thank u very much for your reply.

Does that mean that else where phd students are paid..?!

Another question applying for a Phd outside Nigeria is it advisable ( relating to expenses )....?!

And I'll be grateful if u can explain what fellowship means I googled it but I'm not very clear on it yet......

Thanks again..
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Kenkeye: 10:30pm On Feb 04, 2016
Re: Thread For PHD Students by MrDojo(m): 3:42am On Feb 05, 2016
Kenkeye:

It depends on scholarship and research sponsorship o. There are many of such opportunities outside Nigeria. I know of some that involve catering for living expenses and providing stipends, while some may only cover tuition payment. This is one of the reasons it is very important to conclude MSc with good grade. These opportunities are very competitive.

Fellowship is research grant. In most cases, associated with sponsored research.

Thank you very much....that means its far far better to get a Phd abroad..

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by striker07(m): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2016
Why not try a bridge program for instance Achievers University Owo in ondo state, you will only spend 2 years to get B. Sc with your HND
clemz88:
hmm thats serious. But if I should use my HND n apply for admissn at open uni will I be given admission into 300L or 200L

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.