Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

The Burial(Fears and Fierce) - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Burial(Fears and Fierce) (19824 Views)

HARMATTAN (A Poem On Our Current Fierce Weather) / An Open Letter To Fembleez1 Author Of The Burial (fears &fierce) / List Of Phobias---- The Fears Glossary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 9:47pm On Feb 01, 2015
Ms. Kehinde was early coming to our house. My Aunt(papa's third born) arrived and we tried to figure out how the car would contain us, most especially Ms. Kehinde with her body side.

She said she would seat at the front which she got no drag from any of us three, since we were not used to sitting at the front with the driver. She got into the front seat and bolted(fastened) her seat-belt.

Mrs josephine was the first to get into the back seat, then I was asked to get in too after which jacinta, Papa's last born joined and it took some techniques before we could get the door locked. It was really tight in the car, a toyota camry, 2000 model.
After all had settled, Mr. Gbenro started the car engine and drove on the Third Mainland bridge heading towards Oshodi(A bus-stop).

It was about 3:45pm, people that lived on the Mainland and worked on the Island were just leaving their offices, so there was traffic but it wasn't much--the way it would have been when they were fully closed for the day.
You wouldn't want to tread the bridge with your car when it was 4:30pm-5:00pm, the congestion is often dreadful.

As we moved along the bridge, I was thinking about several things,--ranging from the General and his son, mama's children, our family and other things when something brought the bridge into my mind.

I had always hate the time it took to drive over/across the bridge. it took up to 20minutes to tread the bridge and in some situations I've found myself, I had always been observant of the bridge but it didn't seem to have changed. I tried to look may be I could view the Ocean but the glance wasn't the way I would have loved it, if I were to be sitting close to the door where I have the window close to me.

I could easily have wind-down and keep gazing until we were off the bridge. I might hate the time it took to pass through the bridge, but the sight it presents and the cool breeze that blows towards me are what I fancy.

It is often the best you could get when you live in an area where it took the glory of God before you could feel a breeze. Even the fan often goes mad, when they start blowing heat.

It didn't take much time before we got close to Anthony(a Bus-stop) and found our route from there which would link us to Agege Motor Road. It was hell of an hold-up as cars where finding it hard to move. We started blaming ourselves for not leaving home early.

"Oh Gosh!. Why didn't we leave before 2pm?." Mrs Josephine exclaimed in her american accent.

She lived and grew up in the United States ,so I couldn't dwell much on the thought they might not experience such in America. If they do, it may or might not be as worst as it is here.

Her mother who was Grandpa's second wife(may her soul rest in perfect peace) had worked very hard to make sure she educates her children. She had sold sachet water(Pure water as many call it), when the profit was enough to start a new business, she moved into the flour industry and started selling bread.

When it seems she had made enough again, she started selling food. Before she could sell for some months as people who came from offices to eat at her joint loved her food, she was invited by 3 companies so they could employ her as a permanent cook for their organisation. She went for all interviews and chose the company she considered would pay well.

After making some good money from the company which she never had any complaint about her dish. She sent her first Daughter to the UK at the age of 14. Two(2) years later, she sent Mrs. Josephine to the USA at the age of 11.

Both of them continued their education and as God would have it, they finished all their schooling abroad, got married and gave birth to Great Children there. Mrs. Josephine has 3 beautiful daughters of which they are all doing great.

The first born is a Naval officer. The second, a pilot and the third a basketball player who plays for one of the Great female basketball team, all in the US. I always pray my mum would emulate her mum and I know God in his infinity goodness would answer me.

No one would have loved it in any form, be it a foreigner or not. Even Nigerians do find it irritating, the heat, fumes, car horns and different vehicle trying to trick their way into a path they see might be moving fast. It was just an adventure on its own.

"Hey!. Come and sell me choco milo." Ms. kehinde called out to one hawker who was selling what she requested for, re-parked in white nylon with not more than 12 'cubes' of the milo in it.

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:28pm On Feb 01, 2015
The hawker came towards our car and sold to her. Mrs. Josephine and Jacinta got interested and they bought as many parks they could afford with the little change on them. I was asked may be I wanted but I denied it. Why should I want something like that?. I asked myself, when I weren't a female.

After they finished buying all they wanted and paid, the road was already making way for cars. The congestion was reducing and it didn't take the sluggishness(Go-slow) it took when we first drove into the Agege Motor Road.

We got to Mama's house at about 6:52pm, it was already dark. We met some people we could recognise in the living-room and asked for the venue of the wake-keep, which they found it difficult to describe for us, since we could not get it as we were not familiar with the names of various street there. We had to wait for someone who knew the way to the church to come take us along but when the person arrived, it was impossible for him to come along, showing us the way when he couldn't find a space to sit in the car.

He gave us some few directions and told us to ask further when we get to a point his directions ended. It didn't take long before we found the venue. It was filled with cars, people and chairs littering outside the church compound. It was a very big compound with the Church and its Hall located in it, still with enough space to park ones car.

We all got down and headed straight to the church cause the mass was still on. They were celebrating a Wake-keep evening Mass for her. It really was absurd and strange to me because I had never heard or seen where they celebrated a Wake-keep Mass for someone. Mamas' was the first and before thinking it much, I had to resolve she was different. She was an idol on her own, a legend to some people and to others, their role model.

The mass was already at its peak when we got to the church so it didn't take long before they said the final blessing and everybody had to disperse and straight they all went into the Church Hall for the wake-keep service.

I wasn't conscious of myself, I was divided in my thoughts,--that was when I saw the General entering the Hall. I had wanted to call out to greet him but I couldn't. It wasn't as if I was being cautioned because of the people I came with. It was because I knew it wasn't proper to call out for him.

I remembered vividly the visit to his office and who he was, but what he was doing at the wake-keep, I do not know. I was still trying to get my thoughts off the General and the entrance he took into the Hall when Mrs. Josephine and Ms. Kehinde started moving from one Mama's children to the other greeting and consoling them.

Mrs. Josephine was doing introduction as papa's third born who just flew in, the past week to grace the burial of their mother.

"Oh, Josephine!. You are the one?. Look how fat you've grown. America had really turned you into mama o." Rev. Sister Mary said smiling and examining Mrs. Josephine's stature.

"Look at you too!. You've really grown." She replied with grins on her face.

The greeting, introduction and consoling were going on while Ms. Kehinde was just trying to do 'Ka ri mi(make them notice me).' All around.
She just wanted people to try and remember her as Papa's brother's daughter and "Oh!.' You came with Mrs. Josephine? Wow!!!. That's great!."

I became fed up with all they were doing when I saw Jacinta also moving around with people she knew. They were mama's Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren she was with. I became interested since it was more youthful. I walked a bit closer to jacinta and she said.

"Don't you know Collins?, he is our cousin!. What about Diana?. Elizabeth, Gregory?. Etc."

I just couldn't reply cause I had never come across them before. I never knew we had a more extended family and people related to us. Different people, youths, adults and children were moving to and fro with various colours of T-shirts having 'Adieu Mama, Grandchildren.' And and on others 'Great Grandchildren.' Etc.

I felt tired and wanted to go back to the car to relax but it wouldn't have made sense and I knew people I came with would blame me for it, so I waited till the wake-keep service ended. Some people were busy running here and there for puff puff, while some for tea and tapioca. Everywhere became rowdy so I had to wait for the others so we could move in group as we came, then find our path back to where our car was parked.

The General on his part had waited, surveying here and there may be he could see his son but no one looked like him. Amy also was busy moving from one place to the other may be she could see Jimi but it was all in vain.

"Why don't you call this people that we are already here. We can't keep going here and there if we don't know where they might be with the boy or where the boy himself might be." She said with a face that seem 'on a serious note' was written on it, as she wiped her sweat.

"Well, you can have the phone and call them." The General stretched his hand with the phone in it to Amy to carry out what she had just said trying to mock her uneasiness.

She collected the phone, searched through the previous calls but all she could find were unknown numbers. They were impossible to dial so she handed the phone back to the General saying, "why didn't you just tell me we can't reach them, than acting naughty?." she said with disgust in her voice.

She knew it was not relevant to start shouting at the General or picking up a fight with him at the point they were. She felt very weak and it was as if she wouldn't see her son again when the phone rang. The General checked the caller and Amy came closer to see who was calling and she felt a little relieved when she saw 'Unknown Number" on the line. It was as if a life-line had revived her hope.
The General too couldn't hide his feelings as he cleaned his sweat, looked round, since the compound was getting a little free of people may be the person on the line might be calling from a distance but he couldn't find anyone who seemed to be on the phone, making or receiving calls.

He picked up and the voice on the line said,

"I am highly impressed by your courage and determination to get your son back and it really has shown me what I wanted to know."

"What is it that you want to know?." The General blurted out angrily.

"Calm down General, calm down!. It just showed if we had not kidnapped your son, you wouldn't have backed off this case." The lady on the line said in a soft tone, you could mistake it for an angel's voice.

"Please just let me have my son back. I am leaving this case!. I already had in mind to leave it until you kidnapped my son." The General knew he couldn't complicate matters by using a voice which could read, Order or force, those types you would think they were military proclamations or Decrees.

"Well, I have one last assignment for you, it would be the last you would do and your son will be given back to you, even with enough cash." The voice said promising.

"What assignment again?. Have I ever worked for you?." The General said trying to think may be it was one of the cases he had handled, people were trying to get him down for but how would that have been?. He wondered.
Many of those at fault or rather criminals had been made to face the wrath of the law and so he dismissed it not to be his past cases.

"Well, if you would like to hear it before I disconnect the call, meet me at the St. Micheal's Catholic Church tomorrow. You will have your son back. Goodbye." The voice said and ended the call.

She General felt nonplussed, he couldn't digest what was happening to him. What has he brought upon himself? he asked his thought. He wanted to ask what assignment he was meant to carry out but the call was already disconnected before he could ask or say anything. He looked at Amy and she read his expression. She heard whispers of all the person said on the phone. She was about going hysterical when the General told her, they should be on their way now. Tomorrow is another day and they hope as the person had said, it would be the very last of the mystery of their son's whereabouts and people that had tortured them, kidnapping him. They drove home, to prepare for the Requiem Mass.

This would actually be the greatest of the story the General would tell, if he gets out of it with all his families alive.

T.B.C,...........

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by ODUMAIYE(f): 7:53am On Feb 02, 2015
humm...

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by usmanspihn(m): 8:19am On Feb 02, 2015
Fembleez1 ur second to the last post's ending was Agege enroute but it should be En route Agege because En route mean on the way to. If you dig

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 9:06am On Feb 02, 2015
Thanks usmanspihn(m). I modified it bro. I appreciate your correction and expect more in the future. smiley

Thanks also for following wink
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 9:13am On Feb 02, 2015
Divepen(m)
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Missmossy(f): 2:38pm On Feb 02, 2015
Ghen-ghen grin nice one Fembleez1 really eager to know whats up with the abductors of the General 's son.

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 02, 2015
wow am into this story

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 03, 2015
i swear i don miss........boss feemblez aw far?my new number 08163360387
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 6:38pm On Feb 03, 2015
Missmossy(f), you will wink
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2015
Prettydiva89(f), thanks,I sight you dear cool
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 6:48pm On Feb 03, 2015
Shoyemiayodeji(m), you don really miss baba!. I dey and you?. How was your orientation?. Copied the number already bro. smiley
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 6:53pm On Feb 03, 2015
Don't know why Seun and his Mods removed the quote button!. They are just ruining NL the more angry
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 9:32pm On Feb 03, 2015
TO THE PRESENT.

Today is the 14th of December 2008.

A friday that would never be forgotten by the entire people who attended the Funeral Service of Chief Mrs. Kiara Adesewa Adelakun. It was not as if this friday was the last of the month which many muslims refer to or call 'Friday Oloyin(Honey Friday or Sweet Friday)' but it stood out to be one of the most remarkable day in the lives of Mama's children, General Falade, his house-wife, Amy his Woman-Friend and children. Those who came to the Requiem Mass would also have same comments to make.

The 'cock crew' very early that morning with much noise outside the compound to back its crew, as if it were resounding some melodious tune it had learnt from the nightingale. The compound was filled with people moving here and there. Some were cutting different vegetables, some were pouring spices into the pot on the fire which rouse the atmosphere--as it was a chilly Harmattan season, the Aroma filled the air.

The cold was much but people cooking didn't feel it as they were close to the warmth the fire provided.

I got up from bed and headed straight into the bathroom to ease myself because my bladder was filled with hot pea. I thought it might burst any moment if I tried holding it back. After I had relieved myself, I felt like going back to bed because the cold made me weak but it quickly came to my mind, the tailor I gave my attire to had not brought it for me. I rinsed my face and head for his shop which was not far from my house.

It was 7:15 already and the Mass was scheduled to commence at 10:00pm on the dot. I knocked on the tailor's shop and he opened yawning noisily, I almost jumped out of my skin. He was happy I had come to wake him because he thought I brought his balance but I disappointed him immediately he handed me the clothe. "Bye bye!. I will give you the balance when I get back from church". I said.

He was angry and grumbled to show his unhappiness. He had not touched my material since the past month I gave it to him(a month and the half) until 12:30am, that very morning. He wanted to iron it for me but there was no time to wait. If i had given him the clothe to hold for another minute, then it was sure I would get disappointed, so I collected it from him and said I would iron it myself.

I walked into our compound and met Ms. Kehinde on the way, coming towards the gate. She was on a call and was speaking to someone she had sent to the venue of the reception. I wasn't surprised about her concern for the venue because I knew who she was. I just ignored her and got the ironing board out of the store, before 15 minutes, I was done ironing the clothe.

After I did some chores, I contemplated may be I should use hot or cold water to bath cause of the weather but soon as I looked at my wristwatch and found it was 8:30am, I considered there was no time to wait till the water was boiled.

I knew Rev. Sisters would come in great numbers to the mass cause of Sister Mary and the church might easily be filled with their attendance, with no space left for other congregation.
I dashed into the bathroom to have my bathe since I didn't want to sit outside the church.

I did not calculate how long it took me to have my bathe but it was fast. It would have meant I didn't bathe well as I was doing everything hurriedly in the bathroom, I almost slipped on the tiles if i had not been careful.
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2015
love this story hope both family will settle their various differences

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2015
Before 9:30am, I was already dressed and heading to the church as if it were my mother's Funeral Service. I didn't even wait for others who came so we could go together, mostly females.

My aunts had both said, they would love if we could go the way we did to the wake-keep exempting Ms. Kehinde, but she was busy cooking and I could not wait for the Mrs. Josephine and Jacinta because of the slow pace of female make-ups which could take a whole day before they finish.

I walked into the church front door, was handed a programme(pamphlet) by one of the church wardens who stood by the door. The congregation I saw was what I had expected. It was filled from the front of the first pew on the left to the last pew at the back with Rev. Sisters. I thanked my stars I had not waited for my aunts, as I located a pew with some sitting space of 6 people at the 5th pew in the front. I walked towards it and asked "is anyone occupying this space?." But got a reply no one was. I settled there, opened the programme and went through Mama's biography.

BIOGRAPHY

Chief Mrs. Kiara Adesewa Adelakun was born on the 16th of March 1912. Her mother was Mama Elizabeth Joel Adelakun of the Domingos lineage and her father, Pa Frederick Damola Adelakun--a retired artist. Her siblings are Mrs. Jacquez Emmanuela, Mrs. Florence Shaw and Mrs Depite Ayorinde.

Mama grew up in a devout christian family of the Roman Catholic Church. She was very much a strong woman and a disciplinarian.

After her formal education, she learned how to make cake and the art of sewing under the tutelage of Mrs. Deshola at the Lagos Island Sewing institute, at Adeniji Street, Lagos.

The man she married was a World War Veteran and the first African inspector of Police in the colonial Era,--the person of Pa Jeremiah Adelakun.

One of the event mama could not forget until her death was her wedding day. On many occasions, she described the wedding day as glamorous, and recalled with fond memory how best she lived happily with her husband. According to mama, she and her husband did not have any difficulty in getting the ceremony underway because things were affordable then.

As a practicing Roman Catholic Faithful, she played active role in the church wherever she found herself.

Chief (Mrs.) Kiara Adesewa Adelakun served in temporary parishes as she moved around the country with her husband who constantly was on transfers. She has always been a member of the St. Micheal's parish, Lafiaji until she moved to St.Pius, Ilesha in 1988.

She was the founding president of C.W.O at the St. Micheal's Catholic Church Lafiaji, Lagos. She did not find it easy leading the women, but to the glory of God, she was able to hold the women of Lafiaji together. she organised fund raising activities, and home to home visitations. During the visits, the CWO women taught, counseled and prayed with families visited. The results were conversions, weekly prayers and growth in the organisation membership.

Mama was also a pioneer member of the Christian mother at the St. Andrew's Catholic Church ilasanmaja, Lagos. Mama was a chorister under the leadership of the 'Choir-master', Mr. J.B Williams. She was very active in the Legion of Mary society and a presidium president. She enlisted her son into the junior presidium where he graduated into the senior presidium and later became president of two Curiae at St. Luke's church, Agege and St. Finnian's ikeja. Mama was a Girl guide in her youth days and served as a member of the Church Building committee at St. Micheal's Catholic Church. She was a member of St. Anthony Society.
In the secular world; Chief Mrs. Kiara Adesewa Adelakun(DOH) was a founding member and president of the Royal Woman's social club. Mama was honoured with the Chieftaincy title of Yeye-Gbogbogbo of ilesha on the 1st day of April,1980 in ilesha by his royal Majesty, Oba Adefemi Aromoloye II in appreciation of her selfless services to Ilesha-land.

Her charitable dispositions knew no bounds as she would always entertain her numerous visitors with delicacies such as Chin-chin, imoyo-soup, gurudi, cangica, Biscuits, cakes and sweets.

Chief Kiara Adesewa Adelakun's Children are as follows:

Adesogo Dorego Adelakun(RIP).
Mrs. Kiara Funmilola Adebajo;
Mrs. Juliana Oloola Elisha;
Sir Sigismund Dele Ajumo Adeakun, KSS
Mrs. Daniella Adeore Ogundimu;
Rev. Sister Mary Oluwafunmi Adelakun of the Sisters of the Holy child Jesus(SHCJ) and;
Mrs. Rosaline Adefunke Adewole.

Mama was blessed with 36 Grandchildren and 65 Great Grandchildren.

It was about the time I finished reading Mama's biography the 'signal bell' rang for the Mass to begin as the choirs in their thrilling voices sang the Hymn 'HOLY GOD, WE PRAISE THY NAME' as the Entrance Hymn.
Soon as they finished singing the last verse, the priest was already at the entrance of the church and they had a procession with the coffin which was wheeled to the front of the Altar.

I took my gaze off the procession to see the people who sang with such wonderful voices.

Male voices were missing and it drew my curiosity, it wouldn't have been the church choir singing. I looked up to the gallery and saw many females in plain 'clerical-white' dresses. It seem the Heavenly Host had descended to sing at Mama's Funeral but they were all Rev. Sisters.

I was bringing my gaze back to the procession when I saw all Mama's children in their 'cream lace attire' all walking majestically following the coffin. I couldn't calculate their movement but the way they walked seem to be written in their sad and grieved faces than their legs.

I saw the General and Amy come in through one of the side door at the opposite direction of where I stood as the procession was in process. The pews were filled up with Rev. Sisters as if it were one of them that died. General Falade and Amy asked some people to excuse them as they walked into the space they saw on a pew.

If only the General Knew his Housewife and Children were also inside the church, he wouldn't have come at all, wouldn't have come with Amy no matter what it takes to restrain her.
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2015
you sure read lots of Biographies,don't think it can be written better than that

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 9:54pm On Feb 03, 2015
Thanks prettydiva89(f) smiley, the last update had been modified wink

Beneath the number of Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren mama has!. cool
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 10:13pm On Feb 03, 2015
Reader:- "I am the bread of life, he who comes to me shall not hunger, he who believes in me shall not thirst. No one can come to me unless the Father draws him.

All(the congregation):- And I will raise him up on the last day.

After the recitations of many of the above, the congregation as was written in the programme responded "And I will raise him him up on the last day".

The priest got to the Altar and Mama's children left the coffin at the mouth of the Altar covered with white cloth. The priest said in Latin "Eternal rest grant unto the soul of mama, and let your perpuetual light shine upon her. Lord, to you we owe our vows, be faithful in Jerusalem, hear our prayers, to you all flesh must come."

Immediately he finished saying the prayers, all the congregation sat down while a Lector read passages called Readings from the Bible.
Rev. Sister Mary took the 'responsorial' Psalm after the Readings. Though, she looked a bit old, her voice was as that of a 16years old girl. Her soprano came out beautifully and I could see nods of acknowledgement from the people who sat on front pews.

The Gospel Acclamation followed soon as she was done with rendering the psalm. The priest walked to the pulpit and said the necessary things required while the congregation responded,--after which he read the Gospel of John. When he finished reading, he said the final sentence to show he read not from his own words but of the direction of the Holy Spirit who inspired the writer of the Gospel. "The word of the Lord" and the congregation responded "Thanks be to God."

The priest called an 'Altar-server' as the congregation sat down. Whispered some words into his ears and the 'Altar-boy' left for the entrance door immediately. The priest said he wanted to invite a special guest into the church.
The door of the church directly facing the Altar opened soon as the boy got there and as everyone looked back, the rays of the sun which shone outside penetrated into the church. They saw a face shining as if it were the transfiguration of the Lord. Before they could clean their faces may be they were dreaming, they saw a woman on a wheelchair being wheeled along the path to the Altar as people scampered for their dear lives shouting "Ghost!!!."

I saw people jumping pews and I tried to run for my life too. Ghost stories, I never believed but this one is going to be the one I would believe by 'sweet and sweat'. The moment I saw people battling with all doors was when I knew we were all done for at that point.

No door of the church opened, even with force people were using to pull so they could run. The one the ghost was wheeled through was also locked immediately she passed it.

"Ehhhh!!!. We are finished. Torture is here face to face in our presence. We are locked in 'betwixt' Torture and Torment. Nowhere to run to."

TBC,.........
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Nobody: 8:19am On Feb 04, 2015
so you saw ghost

1 Like

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 04, 2015
Fembleez1:
Shoyemiayodeji(m), you don really miss baba!. I dey and you?. How was your orientation?. Copied the number already bro. smiley
i dey ooo......my department neveer do orientation ooo
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Oyinprince(m): 9:44am On Feb 06, 2015
Ghost!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:46am On Feb 06, 2015
prettydiva89:
so you saw ghost
embarassed
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:47am On Feb 06, 2015
shoyemiayodeji:
i dey ooo......my department neveer do orientation ooo

Why na?. When them go do am?
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:49am On Feb 06, 2015
Hi guyz, been busy editing this piece from the first page, that's why I haven't updated.

Noticed many typo-errors and grammatical blunders.

I'm so sorry cry
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:50am On Feb 06, 2015
Oyinprince:
Ghost!!!
embarassed
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 10:00pm On Feb 06, 2015
FORSHADOWING OR 'FLASHFORWARD'

In the next few hours, we would go inside the Ikoyi cemetery to lay mama 6ft beneath the earth but what would happen is a sign Mama is angry with her children or the entire family. What would surprise me is that, she would not vent her anger on her children but my uncle.

We danced inside the cemetary and as people found their way along the graves and grasses, I walked with my uncle who had said after the mass,--his spirit didn't want him to follow us to the cemetery. I asked why but he couldn't give me a genuine reply. he just said he doesn't feel like it but since he didn't attend the mass,--he didn't want to vex my Grandpa so he said we should walk together behind the Band as they led the way dancing with Mama's coffin, throwing it up and catching it in the air. Moving forward and dancing backwards all together.

As we all got to the cemetary and to Mama's already dug and marbled grave. My uncle and I stood on an old grave with its epitaph already faded, I could not read the inscription on it.

"I want to move to the front of the grave, so I can get a good view of how they would place the coffin in the grave." my uncle said and I thought what was he thinking about. Why should he move to the front when he were not one of mama's children?.

I looked across a man's shoulder and saw mama's children weeping and wiping each other's tears. It was just uncontrollable, someone they had loved all their lives and seeing her coffin being placed 6ft down was unbearable for them.

It was at that moment my uncle tapped me by the wrist and said we should both move to the front but I didn't follow. A mind just said I should not move from where I stood.

The moment he took a step was when I removed my leg on the grave he crossed to, before we could know what was happening,--the stone of the tomb which was cracked unnoticed and covered with grasses collapsed and my uncle fell on his buttocks injuring his ankle, face, elbow, and scratching his back.

People at the front didn't know what was happening but those close to us could do nothing. The grave to me looked like one dug 8ft but it was not. My uncle being an hefty guy, stood up and tried reaching for the remaining part of the grave that hung up the top where he had walked on before he fell inside, to find his way out of the grave but what happened next wouldn't have been nice to say (it was heartbreaking).

The moment he jumped up to grab the stone. He went downwards again crashing on his back with rubble falling on him. I pitied him and people who were close to where I stood shook their head with pity. "This is a bad omen." Someone said from my back but I didn't make to look back, did not make to contemplate on what she said, my ears were stuck and I felt deaf. My spirit was gone and my heart was pounding with fears,--this was going to be the end of my uncle.

Someone gave him a hand to help him out of the 6ft deep grave. He grabbed the hand, was lifted up and got out of the grave with blood already coming out of different parts of his body where he had sustained injuries.

I was lucky I didn't follow him and had immediately removed my leg when I stood on the collapsed grave. If I had been the one who fell in that grave. I know I would have gone(died). Someone had also passed through the grave before he crashed and I considered that person lucky too. It could have been him or could have been myself that might have fallen inside the grave.

"Let's go home femi." He said angrily, utterly embarrassed and I knew he would blame himself for coming in the first place. If he had known, he wouldn't have come along, would have followed his spirit, I thought as we head for the cemetery gate. When we were almost heading out of it, I used my handkerchief to dust his clothes and body I could find grasses and dust.

Mama was indeed a strong woman. It was a bad omen for something like that to happen as people said "She didn't want to go alone, she wanted to take someone along". But I wondered, why not one of her children?. My Uncle didn't offend her, so why then does it have to be my uncle who should be the sacrificial lamb?.

It was a Burial to remember and we prosper well in celebrating it. My uncle almost lost his life and he vowed never to wear the attire they chose for her burial again in his life.
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 10:26pm On Feb 06, 2015
"It would be nice if you all would settle down and listen to what we have to say." The priest said through the microphone and it was as if there was no one inside the church again. People were busy shivering. I was out of my skin too and knew some people would have fainted, but we were still close to the doors, ready to flee once we were able to force it open.

"There is nowhere to run to, only if you would all have your seat." The priest added and it all seem that was it. We were trapped, except we obeyed the priest,--the torture would be severe.

I saw some people trying to seat with one buttocks, while many of the congregation stood watching as mama got to the front of the Altar, immediately close to the coffin we all thought accommodated her corpse. I tried in my state of shock and fear to see may be I could see Mama's children, the General and Amy but I couldn't find them in the scattered congregation. Only God knew where their fears might have sent them.

"Look at this programme." The priest lifted the Pamphlet up, to show to the fear-engulfed congregation. "You have all written nice tribute in it for this woman. Why then do you want to ruin her afterlife with your dis-unity." The priest added as I saw all the reverend Sisters coming down from the Gallery and heading straight for the Altar. The way they moved in unison reminded me of those primary school days we all filed to the 'centre'(Handicraft School). Their movement were in order, as though they were a troop on a mission to Syria.

The Sacristy Door opened and Mrs. Rosaline's maid, secretary and 'gateman' walked in, followed immediately by Sir Sigismund's gateman. I was shocked at the way everything was going. Why were the Sisters all heading for the Altar, and what were the staffs of Mrs. Rosaline and Sir Sigismund all doing on the Altar. The moment they all got to the altar was when Mama's children started appearing one after the other like spies, out of the Congregation angered, shocked , and with fears written all over their faces.

It was about five(5) minutes their staffs had gotten in when Papa also came out of the Sacristy. What is happening was the question I knew would be ringing in the minds of mama's children. It was ringing in my mind too because I don't know the significance of all that was happening. I had left Papa at home without him having his bathe or dressed up, so what was he doing on the Altar?. I started imagining.

"Look at this beautiful tributes to Mama, you've all written." One of the Rev. Sisters said as she took the Microphone from the priest, climbed to the pulpit and read out.

" TRIBUTE TO A WOMAN OF GREAT LEGACY

'Looking back at how humane you were, I remember the love and affection you showed your aged parents and at that tender age of eleven, I said a little prayer to God which was to be blessed and given the grace to take care of you too in your old age.
Mama, the 'Ododo(Truth)' we both nurtured had bud and am sure that your place is with the lord and blessed Mother Mary where you will watch it bring forth numerous fruits.

I will forever miss you and I ASSURE YOU OF UPHOLDING THE LEGACY YOU LEFT BEHIND, God helping me ADIEU MAMA, we shall meet on the last day.'

Mrs. Rosaline Adefunke Adewole.

MY MOTHER

"Mummy, I remember the times I spent summer holidays with you at pike and every time the church bell rang, we had to stop and pray. You had given me something that is so powerful and rich, the power of prayer and love.

One of your sayings to me is Sister Mary, IFE LOKOJA OFIN, ESE ARA YIN NI OSUSUOWO (LOVE IS GREATER THAN LAW, MAKE YOURSELVES ONE «'united'» AS BROOM). Mummy, I look at my Siblings and see your wish is fulfilled and by God's grace, that love between us will continue to grow stronger.

Rest in Peace Mummy.

Rev. Sister Mary Oluwafunmi Adelakun (SHCJ).

TRIBUTE TO MY DEAREST GRANNY

'I am honoured to get to say a few words about my grandma. She was out-going and fun loving woman who enjoyed the company of her friends and family, that it was hard not to be her friend. She loved to entertain and hardly a day went where there wasn't someone at her house visiting. It makes me sorrowful to know we've lost you. The last time we met at our wedding ceremony was remarkable and the love you shared with your great grandchildren will be in their memories for another generation. How wrong was I, when I thought granny would be a centenarian.

May God rest your soul.

Richmond A Tutu, your Grandson-in-law.

MY GREAT GRANDMA

Sweet Great Grandmother, I won't forget your legacies and your love O, sweet Great-Granny, Sweet Granny O!.

My loving and strict Great Granny, I'll never forget your proverbs which include " Yara latigbo oro, Sugbon lora lati fesi (Be prompt In listening, but be careful in responding)".

I love you Great-Grandma, sleep in the bosom of the Lord.
ADIEU

James Nero Akinrinsola(Akins)

"These are all great tributes but you've all lied with it." The Rev. Sister said after reading some of the tributes from the programme.
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 10:45pm On Feb 06, 2015
"You said 'One of your sayings to me, Sister Mary," the Rev. Sister said facing Rev. Sister Mary. "IFE LOKOJA OFIN, ESE ARA YIN NI OSUSUOWO (LOVE IS GREATER THAN LAW, MAKE YOURSELVES ONE «'united'» AS BROOM). Mummy, I look at my Siblings and see your wish is fulfilled and by God's grace, that love between us will continue to grow stronger.' But Sister Mary, you lied." The Rev. Sister said as tears started rolling down Sister Mary's cheek. She fell on her feet and wept like a baby, covering her face. It was shameful as a Rev. Sister with all she had done, she was supposed to be the sabre of peace. The one to calm her siblings when they were hot-headed but she was actually the one that acted like them, raising her hand to slap her sister and also promoting grudges wasn't supposed to be heard of, from a Rev. Sister.
When she looked up staring at Jesus on the cross, I saw her face completely red and swollen and it looked as if she had been weeping for weeks. She knew very well what she had done might have or could tarnish the image of the nun, or should I say the church or, christianity or, religion in general.

The Rev. Sister who read the tribute proceeded adjusting her glasses so she could read well "Mrs. Rosaline Adewole Adefunke also wrote 'I will forever miss you and I ASSURE YOU OF UPHOLDING THE LEGACY YOU LEFT BEHIND,' " the Rev. Sister grinned and asked facing Mrs. Rosaline " what legacy her you upholding now with, fighting with your Sister to the extent of pulling each other naked?."

The congregation were shocked at the last sentence the Rev. Sister made. There was the 'silent noise' of 'arh!!. Arh!!.' Coming out of each person's mouth.

Mrs. Rosaline and Mrs. Daniella both felt ashamed of themselves. I remembered vividly the time I said, they would not feel the shame at the moment they fought but a future date and it seems all were coming to pass now. They both broke down in tears, sobbing uncontrollably. It might have meant a public disgrace with the way the Rev. Sister was exposing all they had done but it was necessary, if the grudges were to be settled once and for all.

"You Mr. Sigismund claim to be the head as the surviving son but it is a pity you are such a shame to men like you who think, they have all the world to themselves and can do all they want." The Rev. Sister drew the microphone closer to her mouth and added "it is quite understandable the woman you married did many things evil to bewitch you but thank God she is reaping what she sowed now."

Truly, she was reaping from her evil ways as she ran mad that very morning but Sir Sigismund was compelled not to miss attending the Funeral of his mother after all the Confessions his wife made before she went viral(insane). I had never seen Sir. Sigismund feel remorseful but he started weeping like he were a little girl-child. I saw in his face, someone who knew not, what he was doing until this very moment. The charm and stuff his wife and her friend have used on him seem to have vanished immediately the Rev. Sister spoke about him. He was, with what I think I saw, newly born, out of the bondage of his wicked wife. Released from her claws forever.

"Coming down to you the elders, Mrs. Kiara and Juliana, I am utterly disappointed in you both for not acting as elders when event required of it." The Rev. Sister concluded as she left the pulpit and went inside the sacristy.

I moved from where I stood trying to navigate my way to the front in the midst of congregation that stood shaking their heads and echos of 'hmmmm!!!' and 'o ma shey o(how sad it is)!!!' ringing from all angles of the church. I started thinking what was happening and who was in the coffin?. Why was Papa standing at the Altar, the maid, Secretary, gatemen and Rev. Sisters all were doing at the Altar!. When the priest said.

"I must commend the effort of this man." pointing to Papa "who tried all he could to get you people united but you didn't listen to his words, even when he had to come all the way from Lagos Island to Agege."
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:04pm On Feb 06, 2015
Immediately he finished saying that, the woman on the wheelchair brought her hand to her neck and to my greatest surprise, removed the mask she wore. The congregation were so shocked, that I caught many mouth opened and thought flies might find a place of harbour in them. The mask looked exactly like Mama, the woman who wore it stood up from the wheelchair and removed some foams and stuff she had used to costume her body, she walked away from the wheelchair to the Altar as the congregation were nonplussed.

It must be Papa that had set this up I said in my thoughts as I looked to where he stood on the Altar but the look I saw on his face proved it all wrong. He didn't know nothing about it and if he did, he wouldn't have went to meet the General for assistance. He was in the state of surprise too and I was short of words. My memory couldn't take anymore of the event to store/save. It seem my brain stopped working. My neurons were down and I felt I was in the state of coma.

The woman who stood up from the wheelchair and had gone to the Altar, went into the sacristy and returned in her clerical-outfit to show she was also a Rev. Mother(Sister). At that point, I saw the General and Amy coming towards the Altar dismayed at the way the event were unfolding. They seem to have forgotten what brought them there. I saw someone coming from the back with 4 girls, I wasn't sure who they were but soon as the General sighted them and felt a little shocked, I knew the woman was his housewife and the young girls, his daughters.

I looked at Amy's face or her body may be she would react but she felt less-concerned about her coming. She just stood arms akimbo as if she was ready for any fight the woman was bringing but this day wasn't meant for fight, their family issue or women affairs, or rather 'husband snatching boxing day' It was a day of resolution.

The Rev. Sister that read the tribute and had gone out through the Sacristy came back holding Jimi and carrying a suit-case I didn't know what was in it until it was announced.

Amy was the first to sight Jimi as he raced towards her shouting 'Mummy, daddy.' The General wanted to hug the boy and lift him up the ground but remembered his wife was present. He just drew the boy to his side and tapped him on the back to show he missed him. I knew he was hiding his feelings with the way he reacted but it was necessary.

"I promised you General Falade, that I would give you cash with your son after your last assignment and here it is. You've just carried out the assignment." The Rev. Sister gave the suitcase to another sister who handed it over to the General and it was announced 1.2 million Naira was in it.

"It is so sad you, your son and wife (Amy) had to be a victim of circumstance in this event but it all paid off well." She said as she pointed to Mama's children who were weeping profusely.

"These staffs are also wonderful and they would all be rewarded accordingly because all the notes we placed in your cars, living-room, office , on windscreen were aided by them. The missing bag from the wardrobe found at the cinema, the visit of the ghost were aided by the gatemen and the maid.
Special thanks goes to the Bank Manager of Sterling bank and Computer Analyst who co-operated with us as the ghost, sorry the assumed Mama (she said smiling) went to the bank to withdraw, the signature and all, were all bogus. If you General Falade, were really good at what you do, you would have noticed the time you went back when the manager quickly ended the call he was on and the time he took to talk to the analyst when he asked you to wait. If you were good at what you do I repeat, you would have been suspicious"

The congregation stood in awe at what the Sister was saying. I was surprised too and started sobbing as I was touched by the revelations. If I had seen people more surprised by what was being said, it would be the entire mama's children, Papa, General Falade, Amy and the congregation. They were all surprised than I was.
I was just weeping as everything being said touched me. I had thought, I was also a victim of circumstance with the kicks and stuff I received.

"The deflated tyres and the person who helped the General's wife to fixed it were all planned work." She proceeded as Amy looked to the pulpit with disbelieve and I knew it would be running in her mind, 'you mean, the person who deflated my tyres was the guy who also helped fix it?.' But that was gone. She fell for it and there was nothing she could do about it. The General and herself, who thought there was no case they could not handle had just been flawed by something wiser than them or their intelligence.
Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:16pm On Feb 06, 2015
"The fight your boys were involved in was a set-up, General Falade." To the bewilderment of the General, Jack and Snake were also caught napping on their bravery, the Rev. Sister announced. "I will have to say a very big thank you to the maid that continuously wheeled the assumed mama's ghost all around. Though she had hesitated in the first place to have a hand in all this but because she didn't want mama's wish and prayers to be in vain, had willingly done everything to make you(mama's children) come together as one." The Rev. Sister added.

"All that happened were our 'hand-works' " she proceeded pointing to all the Rev. Sisters that stood on the Altar "it is now left for you, to learn from all we've tried to explain with the torment you went through, either to uphold your mother's legacy or remain enemies of yourself and make her curse her afterlife, equally making you people's life unbearable." She said as Mama's children started shedding tears again as if some evil spirit had whipped them, their clothes were soaked in tears. The congregation too seem to be sobbing as the sound that filled my ears were 'hums' of tears and pities.

Mama's children drew closer embracing and wiping one another's tears. They apologised for all they had done to one another and promised never to fight, keep malice or quarrel again. Since they were blood, it was of no use fighting or keeping grudges. "We will live as one family now" they all said in their tears filled voices.

"May we now proceed with the Funeral mass" the priest said also wiping his tears. Everyone in the church seem to have wept. people's faces I looked at seem wet, so wet as though it were running taps. The congregation went back to their various pews(seats), the choirs returned to the gallery and staffs of mama's children that had come for the resolution all went out through the sacristy as there were no space left in the church.

* General Falade's wife(housewife) accommodated Amy and her son Jimi. She later gave birth to her own son to make 5 children(4 female and one male) while Amy gave birth to a set of twin(both female) to make 3 children and they all lived happily ever after.

*1.2 million (given to General Falade) was spent just to reconcile mama's children, excluding money for costumes and other expenses incurred on setting-up other scene, the fight at the bank, the ghost's persistent appearance, etc.

*Mr. Sigismund got married to another wife and find happiness in his marriage.

*Mrs. Jacqueline's friend was sent parking from her matrimonial home by her husband after the charm and spell she casted on him failed. She ran mad like her friend afterwards.

*Mama's children lived together in love and harmony ever after, upholding their mother's legacy.

Truly, there was a burial and it was of a glorious woman, with a legacy.

There was a burial of death and birth.

A burial that almost took my Uncle's life, tortured many, gave re-birth 'to'(reconcile) many, taught many a lesson they will utilize in their family life.

A burial that united not only mama's family but our family, the General's family, the church's family and the congregation.

It was a Burial of Fears.

Indeed, a Burial so Fierce and we all prospered (learnt) well.

THE END.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Burial(Fears and Fierce) by Fembleez1(m): 11:36pm On Feb 06, 2015
The reason for the foreshadowing was because I wanted the story to end in the church which was the main point of resolution.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

BARTER TRADE ( Fiction With Nairaland Characters) / The Chronicles Of Taofik Shakitibobo / "Blood In The Ring" A Crime Thriller By John Mfon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.