Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,116 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? (5227 Views)

Girl Orders Boyfriend To Kneel In The Street & Slaps Him For Cheating / Ladies, Can You Kneel Down For Your Husband Openly? / Is It Necessary For Guys To Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 1:23pm On Dec 17, 2014
I have observed that most marriage proposals involves the guy kneeling and asking the lady to marry him..

Is it a way of pleading or What significance does this got to do with romance?

Could this be normal? undecided
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Richiy(f): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2014
Okay.

Being that romantic by kneeling
when asking a lady to marry you is a borrowed culture. So you just do what you saw others do.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by temitemi1(m): 1:38pm On Dec 17, 2014
I kneeled when I did mine grin grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 1:43pm On Dec 17, 2014
Richiy:
Okay.
Being that romantic when asking a lady to marry you is a borrowed culture. So you just do what you saw others do.

I see that u edited ur initial post.. grin, I was about..shouting

I dont buy that borrowed culture thingy..coz they do it even in the old and native traditions or cultural groups that have not come in contact with the outside worlds.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2014
temitemi1:
I kneeled when I did mine grin grin grin
embarassed... shocked
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Richiy(f): 1:56pm On Dec 17, 2014
Maamin:

I see that u edited ur initial post.. grin, I was about..shouting

I dont buy that borrowed culture thingy..coz they do it even in the old and native traditions or cultural groups that have not come in contact with the outside worlds.

Lol. No mind me o. I hugged one guy that smelt like d.ope, it probably transfered to me.

Am not aware that people of the old did kneel to ask a girl for marriage o. What I know is that you go to the girls parents and make your intention known.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 2:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
Richiy:

Lol. No mind me o. I hugged one guy that smelt like d.ope, it probably transfered to me.

Am not aware that people of the old did kneel to ask a girl for marriage o. What I know is that you go to the girls parents and make your intention known.

Yes some do..but it has become a norm that some ladies be like 'he must kneel down O if he is giving me the ring'..that is too extreme.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Melahou(m): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2014
You can take your both hands down while you raise your two legs
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
Thats the normal way to propose imo.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by JoeCutie(m): 3:11pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:
Thats the normal way to propose imo.
...according to which act? Or which version of the Bible?

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Dec 17, 2014
JoeCutie:
...according to which act? Or which version of the Bible?
Biblically,it can not be proved but itz ethical for a guy to kneel while proposing..
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by JoeCutie(m): 3:47pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:

Biblically,it can not be proved but itz ethical for a guy to kneel while proposing..
Ethical? Interesting. Tell me more... How ethical is it?

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
JoeCutie:
Ethical? Interesting. Tell me more... How ethical is it?
You mean if you want to propose to a gal,you wont go on ur knees?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Tymax(m): 4:06pm On Dec 17, 2014
Kneel for who? Woman? Why?

It doesn't make the guy a humble husband nor the chic a faithful woman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by JoeCutie(m): 4:28pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:

No dearie, that's not what I mean. Far from that. I can even lay flat on the floor if need be. This is my point though; sometimes we attach so much importance to things that are not quite important, leaving behind the most important things.

Now look at it: The important thing here is the end itself, which is the proposal and not the means, which is the kneeling down. Anyhow I do the proposing, it's still valid. smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2014
JoeCutie:
No dearie, that's not what I mean. Far from that. I can even lay flat on the floor if need be. This is my point though; sometimes we attach so much importance to things that are not quite important, leaving behind the most important things.

Now look at it: The important thing here is the end itself, which is the proposal and not the means, which is the kneeling down. Anyhow I do the proposing, it's still valid. smiley
But some girls have this mentality that if you dont knee down,you dnt love them and you dnt mean business.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by lacasera14(m): 4:35pm On Dec 17, 2014
Nah not compulsory, you can do it even in bed

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by JoeCutie(m): 4:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:

But some girls have this mentality that if you dont knee down,you dnt love them and you dnt mean business.
By "some girls" you mean You, Kristina1? tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
JoeCutie:
By "some girls" you mean You, Kristina1? tongue grin
I dey try dodge am,bt u don catch me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:

Why should I go on my knee to beg a girl to wear over a million naira diamond ring I bought with my money just for her to marry me..in a marriage in which both of us are going to be beneficiaries...in fact she is going to benefit more sef. undecided that is crazy Jaré.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
Maamin:

Why should I go on my knee to beg a girl to wear over a million naira diamond ring I bought with my money just for her to marry me..in a marriage in which both of us are going to be beneficiaries...in fact she is going to benefit more sef. undecided that is crazy Jaré.
But thatz d way itz supposed to be.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by JoeCutie(m): 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:

I dey try dodge am,bt u don catch me.
Chai, Kristy. So if I ask you to go down low now & apologize for 'dodging', would you do that?

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 17, 2014
This plenty Hollywood weh una de watch.
If I vex, I go even climb tree do my own.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 17, 2014
JoeCutie:
Chai, Kristy. So if I ask you to go down low now & apologize for 'dodging', would you do that?
According to which law??
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2014
Maamin:
I have observed that most marriage proposals involves the guy kneeling

It is tradition just like most things humans practice. Its what the act stands for that matters. Thus it is a state of mind.

It is just a symbol; an act of humility, sighn of service and commitment, trust and loyalty.

I think it is an endearing act.

I got one for u then maamin; would u expect the lady to wear the engagement ring then? If so, wots the point in that? And ru going to wear engagement ring too? How come men aarent expected to wear one. Why r wedding gowns white? We could go on.........

On a lighter note;

Ur definitely going down on your knees IF you want me to wear that ring.

grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
Una too dey worry

If you feel kneeling to ask for her hand in marriage is crazy or old fashioned, toss her the ring and ask her to marry you
Lobatan
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 6:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
Chiadanin:

It is tradition just like most things humans practice. Its what the act stands for that matters. Thus it is a state of mind.

It is just a symbol; an act of humility, sighn of service and commitment, trust and loyalty.

I think it is an endearing act.

I got one for u then maamin; would u expect the lady to wear the engagement ring then? If so, wots the point in that? And ru going to wear engagement ring too? How come men aarent expected to wear one. Why r wedding gowns white? We could go on.........

On a lighter note;

Ur definitely going down on your knees IF you want me to wear that ring.

grin grin

Very funny my love..some things are just overrated this days kneeling down during proposal, engagement ring, white gowns..an so on. But I dont think is worth it. grin grin

On a lighter note

I will propose to you on the moon..will I still need to go on my knees there too? tongue
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 6:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
kristina1:

But thatz d way itz supposed to be.

Says who? shocked
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 6:24pm On Dec 17, 2014
00kris88:
This plenty Hollywood weh una de watch.
If I vex, I go even climb tree do my own.

Amtelinyu..i go climb big tree throw the ring down and be like 'babe catch,put that on we getting married' grin

#TeamAmNotRomantic
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by RAKITIC: 6:25pm On Dec 17, 2014
Maamin:
I have observed that most marriage proposals involves the guy kneeling and asking the lady to marry him..

bros na too much of hollywood dey worry them , dats y they take irrelevant tins personal. If i hear say i kneel down for anybody

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 6:31pm On Dec 17, 2014
Zeemoor:
Una too dey worry

If you feel kneeling to ask for her hand in marriage is crazy or old fashioned, toss her the ring and ask her to marry you
Lobatan

Your head dey there jaré
Re: Is It Compulsory To Kneel Down,while Asking Your Fiancé's Hand In Marriage? by Maamin(m): 6:36pm On Dec 17, 2014
RAKITIC:
bros na too much of hollywood dey worry them , dats y they take irrelevant tins personal. If i hear say i kneel down for anybody

I swear..we need to ban telemundo and the rest, so many cultural norms that are not worth the hype and fight.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

___ / Some Of The Most Shocking Reasons For Divorce/Breakups Ever. / As A Lady Will You Do This To Your Husband ( Check Image)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.