Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One (26785 Views)

A Thread To Remember Our Lost Loved Ones / What's Your Favourite Memory Growing Up In Nigeria? / In Memory Of My Baby """"2001 - 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2015
Modified.

Thanks safarigirl, and others.

Life is short.

3 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by shinechinedu(m): 2:42pm On Jan 04, 2015
SirShymex:
Safari, sorry for posting late. I've been trying since yesterday, but thinking about the whole incident just made me feel a certain way. I had to do it cos I promised you. Anyway, I put something together now and it might be incoherent, but the message is the most important thing.

It was in 2006 and my first year in Uni. I left London a few months earlier, to start Uni in Birmingham. My decision was basically because of the spate of gun/knife violence everywhere. It was so bad that year, London was adjudged to be more gun-crime prone than New York city. That was the headline everywhere, with the nickname, "Londonistan." South London was the epicentre, with killings everywhere - and being scared of your own shadow was normal cos you don't know who's out to get you. Lost a few people I know. I also remember everyone's priority was getting protection, from anywhere, with anything, just to stay alive.

On Halloween night in November that year, I must have come back to London to see my friends, about some next issue I was dealing with in Uni. Met them at the park, and we were there all evening - drinking and talking about life in general, and how to make the best out of it. I remember I must have told them how boring Uni was. The dead city. The neeky students. And how adapting to a new environment, with all kinds of new folks, was somewhat difficult. I also told them about my plans to drop-out after the first year. Then my boy, Big Show, told me never to give up and that, it was about making the best out of whatever situation, I find myself cos that's what separates warriors, from weaklings. He told me I've always been smart, and he believed in me.

Later, we all parted ways and decided to meet-up again at a club in Camberwell Green for the Halloween party. I went home to eat and get ready. I don't know what happened to me but I slept off after eating. Woke up the next the day, and I saw loads of missed calls on my phone. I decided to call them back, to tell them what happened, and for our usual banter about what the party was like and the chics. Then the news came that Big Show was shot dead outside the club that morning. I was shocked and confused cos he was just a normal teenager prone to mistake, but he wasn't that type of guy. So, why Big Show of all people? Apparently, they were after a next guy in the crew, and these nutters must've sprayed everyone outside the club with a uzi.

His death messed me up for a long time. I lost a brother, a soldier, and a friend. The gentle giant who was forever loyal, and still loyal in his deep sleep. I still think about him and what his life would be like now, from time to time. We all started as beginners but life turned us to sinners. Regardless, that was a good guy who died young for no reason. Nevertheless, I'll never forget the Halloween night of Nov., 2006 and everything he told me. His last words are the catalyst I use for motivation whenever things get tight for me. And I promise to keep living this dream for him. Furthermore, my life changed after that day. It made me a different person cos I saw death around the corner - and it could've been me. I moved from being rowdy, to being the calmest guy ever. Even till now, I hate getting myself involved in anything violent. I just stay away from trouble and, do my thing. Sleep saved my life and the words of Big Show provided the required motivation.

R.I.P Big Show - gone but will never be forgotten. (His death made the news and you can google it).

damn that's so bleeped up big time. Crazy life. Sorry bout ur friend man.
Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 04, 2015
He was so full of life until death snatched him away from me and I was 14 then. He died 39 years, 359 days......My dearest dad 20th of june 2004

I have never seen someone with a large heart as you since you departed. He took it upon himself to sponsor my education after the death of my dad, but it was not meant to be for long.....Uncle Yinka he died July 2005

She was always on me, so caring and ever-ready to listen to all I've got to say but death laid its icy hand on her and I was 17 that time......My precious mum. 24/3/2007

My uncle of the highest order sleep on. A man with strong heart who fought dearly for his live from death. His death always remind me immuno-compromise patients. I was with him @LASUTH on his sick bed for five days before he finally succumb to death. "Ojo, please how are my children?" Was his last question to me. He was the principal accountant of Nigerian french village univ. Badagry. Uncle Kola. He died on november 2011

Yeah and to you my comrade, broda from another moda......who would neva hanged his legs even in the face of death......comrade Gbenga Oyebode Aremo(Late NANS Vice president). He was 26 years and he gave up the ghost in a ghastly accident that claimed the lives of student leaders like dipo adepegba the SU president of FUTA among others in the year 2012

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by zitalin(f): 4:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
My mummy
She was an epitome of beauty nd brains, also very disciplined.
I was jus 13 then nd the last errand she sent me was to make sure i feed my siblings befor she gets bac (she was going to the boarding school to visit my kid sister).
That was the last day she would ever ask me to do something.
She drove out nd never came back.
Died dec 4th 2005
Buried Jan 4th 2006

@op thnks for dis thread,she was buried exactly 9years ago

5 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Sparkle777(f): 4:41pm On Jan 04, 2015
My Dad.
He was an epitome of a good man,husband,father etc. My fond memories include him buying newspapers most sundays and we ll both analyse and discuss issues ranging from home to international events. I have so many memories.
He died 2000 in my arms. Cardiac Arrest. Need to say, how devasted I was.
Daddy muu, I love you, thanks for being our father.

My sister, ooh wat a loss. embarassed She is this young, lively beautiful girl recently graduated that died in a ghastly accident. Wit her in the house,it ll be clean and delicious meal in the kitchen.
Lilly gal,sleep well. Much love.
Am already teary cry

6 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by safarigirl(f): 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2015
SirShymex:
Safari, sorry for posting late. I've been trying since yesterday, but thinking about the whole incident just made me feel a certain way. I had to do it cos I promised you. Anyway, I put something together now and it might be incoherent, but the message is the most important thing.

It was in 2006 and my first year in Uni. I left London a few months earlier, to start Uni in Birmingham. My decision was basically because of the spate of gun/knife violence everywhere. It was so bad that year, London was adjudged to be more gun-crime prone than New York city. That was the headline everywhere, with the nickname, "Londonistan." South London was the epicentre, with killings everywhere - and being scared of your own shadow was normal cos you don't know who's out to get you. Lost a few people I know. I also remember everyone's priority was getting protection, from anywhere, with anything, just to stay alive.

On Halloween night in November that year, I must have come back to London to see my friends, about some next issue I was dealing with in Uni. Met them at the park, and we were there all evening - drinking and talking about life in general, and how to make the best out of it. I remember I must have told them how boring Uni was. The dead city. The neeky students. And how adapting to a new environment, with all kinds of new folks, was somewhat difficult. I also told them about my plans to drop-out after the first year. Then my boy, Big Show, told me never to give up and that, it was about making the best out of whatever situation, I find myself cos that's what separates warriors, from weaklings. He told me I've always been smart, and he believed in me.

Later, we all parted ways and decided to meet-up again at a club in Camberwell Green for the Halloween party. I went home to eat and get ready. I don't know what happened to me but I slept off after eating. Woke up the next the day, and I saw loads of missed calls on my phone. I decided to call them back, to tell them what happened, and for our usual banter about what the party was like and the chics. Then the news came that Big Show was shot dead outside the club that morning. I was shocked and confused cos he was just a normal teenager prone to mistake, but he wasn't that type of guy. So, why Big Show of all people? Apparently, they were after a next guy in the crew, and these nutters must've sprayed everyone outside the club with a uzi.

His death messed me up for a long time. I lost a brother, a soldier, and a friend. The gentle giant who was forever loyal, and still loyal in his deep sleep. I still think about him and what his life would be like now, from time to time. We all started as beginners but life turned us to sinners. Regardless, that was a good guy who died young for no reason. Nevertheless, I'll never forget the Halloween night of Nov., 2006 and everything he told me. His last words are the catalyst I use for motivation whenever things get tight for me. And I promise to keep living this dream for him. Furthermore, my life changed after that day. It made me a different person cos I saw death around the corner - and it could've been me. I moved from being rowdy, to being the calmest guy ever. Even till now, I hate getting myself involved in anything violent. I just stay away from trouble and, do my thing. Sleep saved my life and the words of Big Show provided the required motivation.

R.I.P Big Show - gone but will never be forgotten. (His death made the news and you can google it).

wow.

Googled it like you said, sounds like he was a gentle giant. Have you watched The Blind Side? It's a Sandra Bullock movie. As I read about your friend, the image of the lead actor is what came to me. They share similar characteristics.

They called him Big Mike as well. Thanks for sharing this story. I really appreciate.....thanks to everyone who's sharing that important part of them here. You're all awesome and your loved ones would be proud to know they are still missed in death

1 Like

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by DancingSkeleton(m): 5:02pm On Jan 04, 2015
Sparkle777:
My Dad.
He was an epitome of a good man,husband,father etc. My fond memories include him buying newspapers most sundays and we ll both analyse and discuss issues ranging from home to international events. I have so many memories.
He died 2000 in my arms. Cardiac Arrest. Need to say, how devasted I was.
Daddy muu, I love you, thanks for being our father.

My sister, ooh wat a loss. embarassed She is this young, lively beautiful girl recently graduated that died in a ghastly accident. Wit her in the house,it ll be clean and delicious meal in the kitchen.
Lilly gal,sleep well. Much love.
Am already teary cry
:-( cry
Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Temibassie(f): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2015
Been reading updates from this thread since yesterday,didn't want to comment cos i know the tears will start rolling.....but anyway....

My Mother
Have so many fond memories of her but the one that really touched my heart was when I completed my 2years diploma program and decided to pursue my bsc in the same course.
My cousemates' names were on the admission list but I couldn't find my name, I went home devastated to break the news to her.
The next day, my sweet mother followed me to the school to know the cause of the omission only to be told that all my diploma courses results hv not been recorded.
She had to go with me to see all my lecturers,and their reason was that I didn't buy their textbooks so they decided not to send my scores.
My heart broke when I saw my mother weeping and telling them that it wasn't my fault,that she couldn't afford the money for the textbooks because of the many responsibilities she was carrying at the time coupled with her ill health. That day one of the lecturers (a female) adopted me as her daughter n I never had any issues till I graduated from the university.
My mother till date remains the only human i literally worship, she trained 3 of us singlehandedly with a meagre salary of #23,000 as a civil servant. Unfortunately, she died immediately I graduated, leaving me with my younger ones to take care of 9 years ago
A times, I steal a moment to cry for her when I'm facing a hard time and funny enough,i get better afterwards.
RIP Maami!!!

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Sanchez01: 7:14pm On Jan 04, 2015
Dad

We never really stayed together as a family and I grew up nurturing the thoughts that I never had one. I was always mindful of the fact that trouble was the least of things I wanted to get into because he was never around. Mum was strong and very supportive and even while I pretended I never needed a dad, I'd patiently admire friends whose dads were around. The first and the last time we saw was somewhere in 2006, we argued cos I was mad at him and I walked out on him while he just kept quiet. I hated him because I felt he was a stranger.

And then, in 2011, I was in my second year in the university, I had just returned from some annoying classes that evening when mum called to inform me that my copy had passed on. I felt nothing at first because I thought of my growing up teenage years and how he was never around. I couldn't help the tears afterwards while I played Luther Vandross' 'Dance With My Father'. I wept for a long time and I hated myself for not forgiving him. Wish I had a dance with him. Either being around or not, he was my popsman and I loved him for that.

14 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 04, 2015
Sanchez01:
Dad

We never really stayed together as a family and I grew up nurturing the thoughts that I never had one. I was always mindful of the fact that trouble was the least of things I wanted to get into because he was never around. Mum was strong and very supportive and even while I pretended I never needed a dad, I'd patiently admire friends whose dads were around. The first and the last time we saw was somewhere in 2006, we argued cos I was mad at him and I walked out on him while he just kept quiet. I hated him because I felt he was a stranger.

And then, in 2011, I was in my second year in the university, I had just returned from some annoying classes that evening when mum called to inform me that my copy had passed on. I felt nothing at first because I thought of my growing up teenage years and how he was never around. I couldn't help the tears afterwards while I played Luther Vandross' 'Dance With My Father'. I wept for a long time and I hated myself for not forgiving him. Wish I had a dance with him. Either being around or not, he was my popsman and I loved him for that.

look like my own situation...even though he was sometimes present in my life but I never got to experienced parental care nor love cos they were practically out of my life cos they were separated and I had to settled down wif my grandma which still sadden my heart cos i still longs for the union with my parents and family which will never be! What a pity

3 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by KanwuliaJara: 10:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
Papa visiting me in the boarding house with lot of rice, stew and BIG BIG MEAT!
No other father around!
Now, I appreciate ooooooooooooooooooooo. . . . CHAI!!!! grin

4 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by gidjah(m): 10:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
I really didnt want to comment coz i cried all tru this posts,loosing loved ones can be truely sad and heart boring,my mum promised she is gonna organise me a party after my uni graduation.she use to be in lagos them in 99.got tru school 2002 and started seeing her in my dreams during my final exams during a serious illness that i tot would kill me.i really think she took my place because i saw death face to face.she will run away from of in expo dream beetfr trying to go close to her!.vict was january 2002.had to name my daughter after her.i cry all the time i remember her.i still keep her collections till date.R I P LOVELY MOTHER. My only sister a medical daughter died too in 2000.was told she kept asking of me even on the sick bed .she was poisoned by jealous friends. Verw pretty, humble and too calm.can never hurt a fly.i was the only one she talks to in the family when ever she is troubled.i love her like my life.I REALLY MISS YOU MY LOVE MY DEAR SISTER.IF SHE WHere to be here today, i would have not been where i i am.[though God has lifted me really up too]I MISS MY MOTHER AND MY SISTER.AND EVER since them no death means any thing to of again. My daughter now carries affection now.i just hope i shall be able to sleep tonight because my eyes are just too heavy.my daughter must not know daddy is crying o!but men also cry too

12 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by babygirlfl: 10:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
I'm sorry for your loss, dear. I have yet to personally experience the death of a family member. I say personally because I've known of family members who've passed on, all without exactly having known them. I never had the honor of meeting them, my own grandparents inclusive. The only brutally devastating experience I've had is the death of a man that was not yet, but could've been my family. We were engaged at the time he died in an accident we were both involved in, yet here I am nearing the anniversary of his death once again. He's been on my mind lately...even so, I really don't know what I'd share, or if I even want to considering the fact that 'relief', for me, eventually came in the form of suppressing my memories.

I'm glad you have a favorite memory you can look back on peaceably.

Sorry for your loss dear

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by username792: 11:14pm On Jan 04, 2015
my dad
7 months ago. i cant get into it, it il still fresh

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by sacora(f): 8:10am On Jan 05, 2015
Around 2005, Was 11yrs old then, and my grandmother asked me to read the bible(yoruba version) 2 her, this i did n we prayed 2geda........exactly 5months after, she passed away.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 05, 2015
babygirlfl:

Sorry for your loss dear

Whatever time doesn't heal, it helps. Thank you, sis.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Ishilove: 9:17am On Jan 05, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Papa visiting me in the boarding house with lot of rice, stew and BIG BIG MEAT!
No other father around!
Now, I appreciate ooooooooooooooooooooo. . . . CHAI!!!! grin
Hian, Kanwulia, I trust you to bring comic relief to a somber thread. cheesy

I've been blessed not to lose any loved one. Two of my grandparents were dead before I was born, one died when I was a year old and the last died 23 years ago so I never really knew them. My aunt died in 2008 at the age of 42, leaving behind 8 children, and although we were not especially close, the fondest memory I have of her is her administering calamine lotion on me when I had chicken pox, at the age of 5 (??) or thereabout. I remember this because I was embarrassed to have someone other than my mum see my nakedd body, so I was kind of cringing as she vigorously scrubbed my body with that white stuff.

She was ill for many years as a result of a spiritual attack, and when I saw her last in 2005, I was shocked at her appearance. My aunty who was very fair and pretty had darkened in complexioned and looked years older than her age. When she died in 2008, I was not too surprised.

Such is life. My condolences to all those still hurting from the demise of a loved one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 05, 2015
Mine is my late (maternal ) grandfather's talking politics with my dad anytime we came to visit. I started paying attention to their talk as a ten year old. Very informative chats there.

A great man, my grandfather.

1 Like

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by mifavour(f): 4:03pm On Jan 05, 2015
my eldest bro.. Uzochukwu Chinemelu Joshua.. actually he'd have been 25years today. he died on.July 11th 2012 in Canada... he got drowned in one of the beaches there... still hurts me daily

3 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by elantraceey(f): 4:03pm On Jan 05, 2015
I've been favoured not to lose any close loved one .

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by BokoHaramm: 4:04pm On Jan 05, 2015
I remember John in my University days who asked me to pull out from my secret cult activities. Thanks bro RIP, if only I heeded your call than

1 Like

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Innodon(m): 4:07pm On Jan 05, 2015
Memory of My late Sister Onyii....
I talked with her on phone a week before her death on how to celebrate the Christmas holiday that was December 2013 .She sent money for things we are to take to motherless babies home. She died a week before Christmas. that was on 18th December 2013...May her soul rest in peace. She was a young, vibrant girl.she was 29.May her soul Rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by bullabong(m): 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2015
My best friend and colleague(Ken Andrew) who died Jan 17 last year. He is fun to hang out with.Now I hate hanging out cos I miss my main man so much.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by alukotope: 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2015
My dad although he never had much always made sure we had the best,he never went to skul , but made sure we went to the best schools. I remember when my dad had to sacrifice the möney meant to buy our house just to pay my school fee. He died after a brief illness on july 15 2014
Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by donmalcolm21(m): 4:11pm On Jan 05, 2015
Andrew, the last chat we had was for me to work out my NYSC transfer from Kwara to Bayelsa to meet you, was planning to start it when I got a call the next day that you died in a car crash the night before that day. RIP broda and I ll always keep you in my heart.

1 Like

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 05, 2015
I was very young,my grandfather died and the first thing I said while crying was "No one would give me pap and bean cake again",reason was his pap was very sweet,he could use up to 10 cubes on one stainless cup and use one full tin milk,being a fan of his,I had the rest.He died above 80 though and I was too young to have really felt anything other than what I felt.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by MizMyColi(f): 4:16pm On Jan 05, 2015
A wave of depression almost hit me on opening this thread.

My legs are wobbly.
RIP Sta Amaka.

2 Likes

Re: Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One by Abduletudaye(m): 4:19pm On Jan 05, 2015
My Grandpa & Granny...no matter how hard the kids tried, we couldn't offend them. They would just smile at us and those smiles were priceless. I miss them sad

They both died last year..

The poster above me @Mizmycoli is my model smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Husband Wants To Use Me For Money Rituals / My Wife Prefers Staying At Home All Day Doing Nothing / I'm Building A Future Not Supported By My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.