Stats: 3,153,079 members, 7,818,233 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (41518 Views)

Hydro Plants Boost Electricity Generation To 3,686.3mw / Blackout: Electricity Generation Sinks To 1,580MW / Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 1:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Feraz:
Many gas turbines will not give us the required power output we need in this country. That is where we make mistakes. Instead of building to many gas turbine stations and taking up land mass, why not build a very large dam like China did with their Three Gorge dam that generates about 22GW - the largest in the world while saving cost and land space?

The problem with Nigeria is, Your leaders have been lying to you guys, basically Nigeria has no money to deliver those projects. simple as that, If Nigeria had money, they would have built some couples of power stations within 6yrs. Remember Nigeria's budget is only $23 Billion per year, so where do you think money will come from to construct a power station that costs $20 Billion. Remember, the power station that were privatised, were the existing power stations, hence you have not added any Megawatts in your grid, the private guys are just running those Power Plants and not adding or building new once. Those private companies that bought those existing power stations, also dont have money to build New power stations. By the looks of things, it seems you guys will have same problems even in 20yrs, unless government gets involved, nothing will improve.

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 1:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Feraz:
That I'm doing. Taking some courses online from www.edx.org
From the above, what will you say about our brothers down East who have shown that they can develop local technologies?
All humans have shown they can develop technologies and I do not see the East as being exceptional. The issue is we live in a globalized commercial competitive world in which technologies have to be dynamic and relevant . Perhaps you are familiar with the term disruptive technology? This refers to the notion that a new technology e.g DVD may render another VHS obsolete. This is important if you have just spent $1 billion building your new VHS factory and then you cannot sell the products. TO absorb such shock you need the Multinational and multinationals therefore are an extension of strategic national manouevering. A country like Nigeria should have at least one Multinational of international standing in Oil and Gas/energy, Airline, Pharmaceutics,Banking and Construction .

In such a world who develops technology is irrelevant but who owns it or who uses it is key. There are those whose main "technology" is the theft of technology. But yes if we can develop ours why not.

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 1:14am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

we aren't discussing benzene so there isn't any context for that. Was pointing out that you were over simplifying what I said about the political interference. Nigeria as a country subsidized electricity the most.

Anyways I'm off to bed...Church later today...safe
Do not know if this is true or not obviously we need some facts on this. based on what I have paid I doubt this very much because I even pay for NOTHING!!!
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 9jamustchange: 1:17am On Jan 04, 2015
There are lies and statistics. I don't need anyone to tell me cock and bull stories about cosmetic improvement in electricity. The only improvement is the outrageous and scandalous extortion in the name of billing.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 1:24am On Jan 04, 2015
The few lights in Nigeria are probably produced by generators in people's homes
14:

Africa at night

Only SA has lights, Africa lets wake up and develop our countries. We cant continue living in darkness in this day in age.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 1:26am On Jan 04, 2015
drlawizle:
Ds South Africa sef....una sure sey dem be African country....na dem dey always carry first for everything...which kain government dem dey practise oh

Less talk more action, Accountability is the name of the game. If you dont deliver you are kicked out. So, jobs are always on the line for non-performer.

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Akainzo(m): 1:41am On Jan 04, 2015
CHESSBOARD:

This is what you yorubas do I don't like when it comes to OBJ's corruption practices you ppl will shout PDP just to include GEJ and hide OBJ... OBJ single handedly kill the power sector and embezzled over $20 billion. for federal xter, states are not allow to generate and distribute locally before sending to the national grid ....power transmission is more costly and difficult to manage than generating, so many states like lagos, rivers, akwa ibom anambra abia can't generate much cos no resources to send all out. like rivers state only one gas turbine is working while others lie fallow.

And it is this peddling of falsehood that irks me about people like you.

You shout Rome was not built in a day and yet want to vilify the same man that starts the process of building Rome.
Can you point to ANYWHERE, in any newspaper that shows GEJ awarding a Power Generation project? All he has done is commission power plants and these are the same power plants that were awarded by OBJ. Or was it Goodluck that awarded Geregu, Alaoji, Ibom Power and the others?

To help you out, Rivers State currently has 3 power plants under their care working which explains the better electricity in Ph. Omoku also has virtually 24 hours light due to the supply from Total.

So please stop spreading fake news.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by shawley: 1:49am On Jan 04, 2015
icebeatz:
SO, THIS LIST IS TRYING TO TELL US THE AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY GENERATED BUT NOT THE AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTED TO THE MASSES ABI?
IF NIGERIA IS THAT HIGH UP THE LADDER (THOUGH 4TH IN AFRICA AND 70TH IN THE WORLD IS ABYSMAL) THEN WHY ARENT WE HAVING 24 HOURS POWER SUPPLY?? DOES IT MEAN THAT THE POWER GENERATED IS BEING DISTRIBUTED TO INVISIBLE HOUSES OR INVISIBLE PEOPLE?

THIS IS A TRUE DEFINITION OF STORY FOR THE GODS!!.

VERY SOON ARDENT SUPPORTERS OF MEDIOCRITY WILL COUNT IT AS AN ACHIEVEMENT OF JONATHAN.

MY GOD WILL BLESS YOU...
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 1:53am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

if the capacity is 4800MW then it wont even make top 20 in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medupi_Power_Station
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by gnykelly(m): 2:03am On Jan 04, 2015
14:

The problem with Nigeria is, Your leaders have been lying to you guys, basically Nigeria has no money to deliver those projects. simple as that, If Nigeria had money, they would have built some couples of power stations within 6yrs. Remember Nigeria's budget is only $23 Billion per year, so where do you think money will come from to construct a power station that costs $20 Billion. Remember, the power station that were privatised, were the existing power stations, hence you have not added any Megawatts in your grid, the private guys are just running those Power Plants and not adding or building new once. Those private companies that bought those existing power stations, also dont have money to build New power stations. By the looks of things, it seems you guys will have same problems even in 20yrs, unless government gets involved, nothing will improve.

one of the reason we're borrowing from IMF is to build the kasha villa hydro project. what's your thought.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by JiggamanGh: 3:41am On Jan 04, 2015
dovelike:
I was looking for Ghana undecided

Why were u looking for Ghana?

Happy new year by the way.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by tunet(m): 4:01am On Jan 04, 2015
fake ass news ,where the hell is south africa on that list.SA got light 24hrs in a day,have never seen the light gone off since my day of arrival.....nig making that list makes me doubts it
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by AgentOfAllah: 4:03am On Jan 04, 2015
On the list, south Africa is 15th, Egypt is 27th, Algeria is 55th, Libya is 64th, and Nigeria is 70th. There are four other countries before Nigeria, none of which has to provide electricity to more than half the population of Nigeria, so in what universe is Nigeria 4th in Africa?
Anyway, nice celebration of mediocrity! Keep it up!!!
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by simplemach(m): 7:17am On Jan 04, 2015
Chitumu:
have u heard that gej say stealing is not corruption?. have u heard the phcn is privatized? have u heard that those who u buy our phcn are only after profit not national interest? then is definitely not possible under mr clueless militant. let buhari do the work.
i thought you wouldvdo it better. undecided
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by simplemach(m): 7:18am On Jan 04, 2015
sole0907:
what you didnt consider before praising GEJ is the per capital generation
you do the considerations
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by simplemach(m): 7:18am On Jan 04, 2015
michaelbiz:

You should wake up from that your GEJ NIGHTMARE...
Cluelessness is not child's play.
It's like being in an Algebra Class Exam and you are busy looking for razor blade to sharpen your pencil.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
true life experience i guess...
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by simplemach(m): 7:22am On Jan 04, 2015
OLUJOSHINS:

I believe something good will come out of Nigeria. But currently electric power in 9ja is below average.
then just know that those countries below Nigeria in the ranking are below worse period...!
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by vandalZA(m): 7:31am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

if the capacity is 4800MW then it wont even make top 20 in the world.
as a biggest coal power station in the world
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by blasterman(m): 7:41am On Jan 04, 2015
very faLSE Benin Republic has stable light and not on that list. we should be around 33 in africa
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Coolguy89(m): 7:50am On Jan 04, 2015
tunbosun9:
its was a mistake...electricity in Nigeria is poor
vry poor,for d past 6 months no light in my state embarassed
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by bola4dprec(m): 8:05am On Jan 04, 2015
Am tired of promise which is lie, am tired of road full of put hole, no constant electricity. Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture!” declares the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of Nigerian, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: “You have scattered my flock and have driven them away, and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil deeds, declares the Lord. Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed,
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by watchindelta(m): 8:08am On Jan 04, 2015
yeye ppl we used to get light 24hrs b4 but since early last year 2014 to this new year 2015 NEPA don killed us finished! the stupid ppl will take the light 5AM early morning and bring it 12PM noon then take it again 5PM in the evening till 12AM in the midnight to 5AM again early momo. this no be suffered? at least Nigeria suppose to dey 40 in African n 150 in the world smh.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by watchindelta(m): 8:24am On Jan 04, 2015
all time Nigerian government are beast
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by lordraiden(m): 8:37am On Jan 04, 2015
if nigeria is 4th in africa,dat means d countries below should seeing light once or twice in a week
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by princy01: 8:59am On Jan 04, 2015
I think we deserve to be ranked as number 100, We don't deserve a president that can't give us a constant electricity in Nigeria after ruling for 4 years or more, then what else do we gain ?, good roads ? good economy or what ? or is it free money or good security ? do we have a president?
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Victorjerry68: 9:17am On Jan 04, 2015
and yet we call ourself gaint of africa
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by deavicky(m): 10:08am On Jan 04, 2015
adaweezy:
with a total of :o170 million people compared to our population rank we only produce a mere 4000 MW
Someone said he does not deserve to be president if he can't address the issue of power in 4 years
GEJ till 2015 may 29
modified
I don’t know y u ppl reason like chick, not chicken o becos chicken get small sence. Power problem has been on since abacha's regimes. Obj 8 years Yaradua too. power problem was not addressed and u are expecting Goodluck to do it over nite considering the situation in the country.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by adaweezy(m): 10:34am On Jan 04, 2015
deavicky:
I don’t know y u ppl reason like chick, not chicken o becos chicken get small sence. Power problem has been on since abacha's regimes. Obj 8 years Yaradua too. power problem was not addressed and u are expecting Goodluck to do it over nite considering the situation in the country.

from 4000mw to 4000mw is thatu an improvement?
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Horlufemi(m): 10:49am On Jan 04, 2015
simplemach:
We will surely get there. With GEJ as the captain of the ship, Nigeria will soon become #1 in Africa and may be around #10th in the world. #GoodluckNigeria

Why must you celebrate with Mediocrity.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Horlufemi(m): 10:54am On Jan 04, 2015
AgentOfAllah:
On the list, south Africa is 15th, Egypt is 27th, Algeria is 55th, Libya is 64th, and Nigeria is 70th. There are four other countries before Nigeria, none of which has to provide electricity to more than half the population of Nigeria, so in what universe is Nigeria 4th in Africa?
Anyway, nice celebration of mediocrity! Keep it up!!!

People like to celebrate mediocrity and call it greatness.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by wirinet(m): 11:19am On Jan 04, 2015
deavicky:

You that reason like an eagle, can you tell us how long it will take GEJ to resolve the power problem? He said before the last election that he would need only 4 years to solve the power problem if elected. Are you saying that since previous governments were unable to address the power problem, GEJ also should not bother?

How many MW of electricity had actually been added to the grid by GEJ? During OBJ's period power generation was hovering between 3,000 to 4,000MW. Now under GEJ power generation hardly goes beyond 4,000MW, so why all the noise about improvement of power by GEJ's supporters.

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by mikeczay: 12:25pm On Jan 04, 2015
i stay at ibafo. i have not had light for three years. if i am better than 50something other countries then africa is really the dark continent

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Caught In The Act: Meet The Man Defacing Port Harcourt / Imo Guber Poll: Don’t Declare A Winner Yet - Uche Nwosu To INEC / Orlu: Military & Police Sack Eastern Security Network (ESN) From Imo Forest