Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,072 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (41517 Views)

Hydro Plants Boost Electricity Generation To 3,686.3mw / Blackout: Electricity Generation Sinks To 1,580MW / Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by michaelbiz: 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
Here is a simple MATHS i did with my calculator that paints the real picture of your so-called GIANT OF AFRICA.
E be like say una wan start to dey use candle again Abi cheesy

South Africa - 238.3bKWh
(Population: 52.93 million in 2013)
Average Power Supply Share per head - 4502.172KWh

Egypt - 123.9bKWh
(Population: 82.06 million in 2013)
Average Power Supply Share per head - 1509.870KWh

Algeria - 40.11bKWh
(Population: 39.21 million in 2013)
Average Power Supply Share per head - 1022.953KWh

Nigeria - 20.13bKWh
(Population: 173.6 million in 2013)
Average Power Supply Share per head - 115.956KWh

Does this look like 4TH POSITION TO YOU?

***SMH*** undecided

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 10:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Nonsense. Those lights reflect electricity, not a few gas flares in the delta.

it is definitely not electricity, the grid is not that developed in that part of Naija and that's a heat signature you're looking at not electricity

check this link for a visualization of flaring globally http://skytruth.org/viirs/
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Chitumu: 10:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
simplemach:
We will surely get there. With GEJ as the captain of the ship, Nigeria will soon become #1 in Africa and may be around #10th in the world. #GoodluckNigeria
have u heard that gej say stealing is not corruption?. have u heard the phcn is privatized? have u heard that those who u buy our phcn are only after profit not national interest? then is definitely not possible under mr clueless militant. let buhari do the work.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by hopilo: 10:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
michaelbiz:
Here is a simple MATHS i did with my calculator that paints the real picture of your so-called GIANT OF AFRICA.

South Africa - 238.3bKWh

Egypt - 123.9bKWh

Algeria - 40.11bKWh

Nigeria - 20.13bKWh

I want to see power share per home, not per head.

***SMH*** undecided

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by bigfrancis21: 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Nonsense. Those lights reflect electricity, not a few gas flares in the delta.

Yea. In addition, notice that the entire region between Nigeria/Niger-Sierra leone and Egypt/Algeria (up North Africa) is considerably in darkness, which corresponds to that region being the Sahel/Sahara desert where human occupation, and subsequently the need for electricty, is scarce and less dense than other areas.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by segnaira: 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
Look at dat Map again South Africa, Egypt, Libya don't have light. So chairman where u get yr map from?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by michaelbiz: 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
simplemach:
We will surely get there. With GEJ as the captain of the ship, Nigeria will soon become #1 in Africa and may be around #10th in the world. #GoodluckNigeria

You should wake up from that your GEJ NIGHTMARE...
Cluelessness is not child's play.
It's like being in an Algebra Class Exam and you are busy looking for razor blade to sharpen your pencil.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
Ds South Africa sef....una sure sey dem be African country....na dem dey always carry first for everything...which kain government dem dey practise oh

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by daey118(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
donmalcolm21:
Rome was not built in a day but a lot of work still needs to be done, by the time GEJ will be leaving in 2019 the issue of power supply will be a forgone issue with the limitless power that will be distributed to households.
in the mean time ..what is he doing ?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 10:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
ROSSIKE:

I take it you cannot name a single power plant in Nigeria before Kainji Dam (1963)?

Thanks. That was exactly what I said. Your colonial rulers brought in huge generators to power a few GRAs then occupied by Europeans. There was no national grid until the succeeding indigenous governments built one.
We had street lights in Lagos in 1896 and there were SEVERAL power plants in Nigeria before independence

If it makes you feel good to wear your ignorance like a badge fine. It is not my duty to educate you and I will not. Bluster is no substitute for brains. The facts are what they are and no amount of ego massaging will change them.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
I have expatriates pals who work in top energy & generating set companies here in Nigeria.. They so do not want BUHARI cos once electricity issue is resolved in Naija, dem no go get work again

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 10:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yea. In addition, notice that the entire region between Nigeria/Niger-Sierra leone and Egypt/Algeria (up North Africa) is considerably in darkness, which corresponds to that region being the Sahara desert where human occupation, and subsequently the need for electricty, is scarce and less dense than other areas.

this is what you should be looking at if you want to see how the world looks at Night. That's from NASA and the page clearly says city lights.

here's a link to the page http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=79793

*modified: I removed the picture because it was too large. would've caused people's computers to lag...it's available at the link above.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by michaelbiz: 10:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
daey118:
in the mean time ..what is he doing ?

grin grin my brother please help me ask them oh. Is it not THE SAME NUMBER OF YEARS we count throughout the world? Abi dem dey shout happy new year for APRIL cheesy Help me ask them oh why our own leaders want to build their own Rome in 400 Years!
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by bigfrancis21: 10:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
netotse:

it is definitely not electricity, the grid is not that developed in that part of Naija and that's a heat signature you're looking at not electricity

check this link for a visualization of flaring globally http://skytruth.org/viirs/

Gas flaring isn't carried out all over the south! The entire southern Nigeria (east, west, south south) is brightly illuminated. Gas flaring is done in less than 1% each of the whole of River state, Delta state, Imo state, Akwa Ibom state etc. If you were to represent only the lights from gas flaring poles on a map, they would appear as tiny little bright dots spread out over an entirely dark mass of area. The illumination you see comes mostly from the presence of pervasive buildings which have light, street lights etc due to people living heavily in those areas. When you have several lit buildings and houses clumped up together, then the image you get above will look like what you see in the image because their lights are closer to each other, they merge and form the massy area of light you see in the image. The more developed a city is, with as many high-rise buildings as possible, the more brightly illuminated it appears from above. Take a look at the map of US below, for example, which corresponds to the population density pattern of the US. The more densely populated areas (the more need for electricity and development and buildings that have to be illuminated too), the more illuminated they appear on the image.

[img]http://www.inquinamentoluminoso.it/worldatlas/images/fig2.jpg[/img]
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by emmygzy(m): 10:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
donmalcolm21:
if other presidents before this regime had done what this regime is doing by privatizing the second and not embezzling 16billion dollars then we should be No 1 in Africa
so its privatisation that will make electricity to be stable right? Wher in the world r u livin? The stability of electricity depends on the adequacy of the generation capacity, the demand in nigeria is about 20,000 megawatts and nigeria is generation 4,000megawatts. The only solution to that is building more power stations which only the governments has the financial muscle to do it. Southafrica of 45, million people is generating 46,000 megawatts of electricity and their government just awarded another 5,000megawats hydro projects to add to that 46,000 making it a whooping 51,000megawatts. Nigeria of 170,million people is only generating 4,000megawats and claim to be the largest economy. Clueless otueke Jonathan used 6years to sell the power to his family and friends instead of constructing more power stations to boost the availability.

4 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
drlawizle:
Ds South Africa sef....una sure sey dem be African country....na dem dey always carry first for everything...which kain government dem dey practise oh
When Buhari comes to power we will practice a similar model like South Africa before Zuma came to power. Zuma is currently trying to copy Nigerian politicians with his corruption.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by UAE123(m): 10:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
The President & his cabinet should please go & hide themselves inside a flowing river because they are a disgrace to the country.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
Doing everything?? Wat exactly has he done. How exactly does "federal xter" affect electricity. The truth is that in the 16 years of PDP with over $40 billion spent NOTHING , ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has changed. In fact we are going backwards

This is what you yorubas do I don't like when it comes to OBJ's corruption practices you ppl will shout PDP just to include GEJ and hide OBJ... OBJ single handedly kill the power sector and embezzled over $20 billion. for federal xter, states are not allow to generate and distribute locally before sending to the national grid ....power transmission is more costly and difficult to manage than generating, so many states like lagos, rivers, akwa ibom anambra abia can't generate much cos no resources to send all out. like rivers state only one gas turbine is working while others lie fallow.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
We had street lights in Lagos in 1896 and there were SEVERAL power plants in Nigeria before independence

If it makes you feel good to wear your ignorance like a badge fine. It is not my duty to educate you and I will not. Bluster is no substitute for brains. The facts are what they are and no amount of ego massaging will change them.

Generators powered street lights in Ikoyi, where the colonialists lived. You claim they ''were'' ''several'' power plants in Nigeria before independence. DO US ALL FAVOUR AND NAME ONE. JUST ONE. EITHER THAT OR ADMIT YOU HAVE BEEN SCHOOLED. What.... Are their names hidden? Some secret power plants sitting in your village backyard perhaps?
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
But Nigeria does not even produce upto 4 BkWh (4MW)
michaelbiz:

South Africa - 238.3bKWh

Egypt - 123.9bKWh

Algeria - 40.11bKWh

Nigeria - 20.13bKWh

***SMH*** undecided

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
CHESSBOARD:

This is what you yorubas do I don't like when it comes to OBJ's corruption practices you ppl will shout PDP just to include GEJ and hide OBJ... OBJ single handedly kill the power sector and embezzled over $20 billion. for federal xter, states are not allow to generate and distribute locally before sending to the national grid ....power transmission is more costly and difficult to manage than generating, so many states like lagos, rivers, akwa ibom anambra abia can't generate much cos no resources to send all out. like rivers state only one gas turbine is working while others lie fallow.
He never a stated OBJ was exempted,OBJ carries 50% of the blame because he was there for 8 years. PDP has spent $35 billion on power with nothing to show for it is common knowledge. The only beneficiaries are Liyel Imoke,Agagu and other Minister of Power that embezzled the money
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by gnykelly(m): 10:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
wrong information. Nigeria has less than 5000MW (installed capacity). but the data here claim 20000MW
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
seges:

When Buhari comes to power we will practice a similar model like South Africa before Zuma came to power. Zuma is currently trying to copy Nigerian politicians with his corruption.

Yet South Africa keeps going up in world ranking...dont think it has anything to do with Zuma's corruption joor...some powerful forces are backing them up in return for

somethings perhaps their gold
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by biafranqueen: 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
prof1990:
Even libya better pass us. Fela I miss you
The same Fela that talked about Buhari grin

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by michaelbiz: 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
author=hopilo post=29466705] i want to see power share per home not per head

That kind of data does not exist in Nigeria sir.
PHCN would have been in the position to provide a rich statistical data on that but unfortunately their own office sef don CATCH FIRE !!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Gas flaring isn't carried out all over the south! The entire southern Nigeria (east, west, south south) is brightly illuminated. Gas flaring is done in less than 1% each of the whole of River state, Delta state, Imo state, Akwa Ibom state etc. If you were to represent only the lights from gas flaring poles on a map, they would appear as tiny little bright dots spread out over an entirely dark mass of area. The illumination you see comes mostly from the presence of pervasive buildings which have light, street lights etc due to people living heavily in those areas. When you have several lit buildings and houses clumped up together, then the image you get above will look like what you see in the image because their lights are closer to each other, they merge and form the massy area of light you see in the image. The more developed a city is, with as many high-rise buildings as possible, the more brightly illuminated it appears from above. Take a look at the map of US below, for example, which corresponds to the population density pattern of the US. The more densely populated areas (the more need for electricity and development and buildings that have to be illuminated too), the more illuminated they appear on the image.

[img]http://www.inquinamentoluminoso.it/worldatlas/images/fig2.jpg[/img]

how do you think a gas flare (like I've posted below) will show up on a satellite picture compared to street lights?

did you look at the webpage with the visualization of the gas flares? what those pictures measure is light and the light from the flares will outshine any streetlights, any day, any time.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by dasoul(m): 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2015
GenBuhari:
[size=25pt]Who gave these people their data it has been generally accepted that we generate 2,000-3,000MW but their data has us as producing 20,000MW[/size]

If assuming all other data for other countries are accurate then it is a shame that countries such as DRC still embrioled in war and instability and with a fraction of our population still manages to produce twice what we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_j5lcsDhfo&list=PLRzmuN0KKXK9WjHW14Wmbe6K7F7pL7Y4V&index=41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3IvyJuG2M&list=PLRzmuN0KKXK9WjHW14Wmbe6K7F7pL7Y4V&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bd71UMEYJ0&list=PLRzmuN0KKXK9WjHW14Wmbe6K7F7pL7Y4V&index=22

SMH!!! Although i tend to be pro Buhari but if GenBuhari doesn't know the difference between electrical power and Energy, i may reconsider my support. so if you are invited to debate Uncle GEJ, this is how you will embarrass yourself before the camera and me before my friends? The figure that was quoted in the table is the total power generated in a year expressed as energy for one year.

for instance, if we accept that naija generates 3000MW of power, it means that in a year, naija generates 3000*365*24=26280000MWh=26.3billionkWh of energy per annum which is not very wrong from what was quoted.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2015
gnykelly:
wrong information. Nigeria has less than 5000MW (installed capacity). but the data here claim 20000MW
your definition of installed capacity is not correct. Installed capacity depends on the name plate of the units (that's what the prime mover-generator combo is called in the power sector).

If you have 10 units of IMW installed, installed capacity is 10MW, if only 3 are working, installed capacity doesn't change, however, available capacity is only 3MW.

Installed capacity is 10,396MW and available capacity is 6056MW according to NIPP
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by emmygzy(m): 10:59pm On Jan 03, 2015
Demdem:

Fool, as at 2007, China was building 2 power plants every week. Power plants construction is no rocket science. We don't even Av to compete with China.
The question is how much has Jonathan added so far for the past 6 yrs?
my brother youre really on point, he was busy using the 6years to sell it to its family and friends and all those theif PDP members. The power station obasanjo initiated like, geregu, afam, alaoji, papalanto e.t.c because of timeframe, obasanjo was not able to complete them before his tenure expired. All this power station when completed will shoot the generation to 10,000 megawatts and here we are, 8years after the man left power we are still at 4,000 megawatts that the man left it. Clueless otueke Jonathiefff, after 6years could not complete those ones and didnt even initiate any power projects at all. Nigerias demand as at today is 20,000 megawatts. Jonathan is the worst president nigeria has ever had.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Generators powered street lights in Ikoyi, where the colonialists lived. You claim they ''were'' ''several'' power plants in Nigeria before independence. DO US ALL FAVOUR AND NAME ONE. JUST ONE. EITHER THAT OR ADMIT YOU HAVE BEEN SCHOOLED. What.... Are their names hidden? Some secret power plants sitting in your village backyard perhaps?
You are noisy and empty I already named one in the very first post you quoted. As far as your juvenile game is concerned you are just immature. "schooled" how exactly with the "knowledge" That there was no electricity company or power plant before Kainji
. Please stop disgracing yourself. It is embarrassing but then true the emptiest are often the noisiest. Please educate yourself and eschew the habit of making pompous assertions on things you haven't got a clue about.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
...you're trying too hard.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by lakesider(m): 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
how man time larger is nigeria population compared to all countries in this rating?.plz think out of the box

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Okorocha Reveals What Will Happen If Buhari Loses 2019 Election / Caught In The Act: Meet The Man Defacing Port Harcourt / Imo Guber Poll: Don’t Declare A Winner Yet - Uche Nwosu To INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.