Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,093 members, 7,838,763 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Can You Marry An Illiterate? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Marry An Illiterate? (25759 Views)

Ladies: Can You Marry A Man Who Is Currently Earning N50,000 Monthly As Salary? / Before You Marry A Divorcee. / Ladies, An Illiterate Rich Guy Or An Intelligent Poor Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 16, 2015
amenna:
I will marry an illiterate if only d person is well to do, I mean rich. after marriage will enroll him in adult Skul to acquire some knowledge.
Is marrying him your own enrollment? smh
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 16, 2015
remsonik:

I agree with all your points. I have a male friend that is a graduate and he's excelling well in his career and other aspects of his life but English seems to be his problem. When he speaks the thick ekiti accent is still there.
He doesn't talk much though because people don't give him attention when he speaks but his achievements are speaking for him

Technically speaking I won't dump such a guy if he comes my way for someone who speaks queens English and attended all the ivy league schools yet lack basic wisdom in tackling life issues.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by OMOYE247(f): 8:00pm On Jan 16, 2015
Well....tried once but it didnt work,d way nd manner he usually murder d English language was anonying...e.g 'have you eat?.....Abeg I love Good Vocabulary relationships nsd marriages...classy and butty things are sexy

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:14pm On Jan 16, 2015
olafunny:
Marriage, they say, is the union between a man and a woman. No string attached. But for our own personal interests, we have decided to set jamb-like oral questions for our partners to know thier worths. Definately, many ladies wouldnt go for a broke n*gga, CREAM (Cash Rules Everything Around Me). Many guys would also prefer a fresh guys-look-at-when-passing type of ladies. But be truthful to yourself, can you choose an illiterate as your life partner?
If by 'Illiterate' you are referring to the first meaning of the word, the answer is No. But the other sense is subjective.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by simdam500(m): 8:33pm On Jan 16, 2015
nope!

never... it once happened and it never happening again in my time...
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Michikech(m): 8:37pm On Jan 16, 2015
Work for 2days in a week with a WHO partner and earn #30,000 - #90,000 a month.

Text ur name, qualification, and location to 08039382629.

NB: First come, first served as limited spaces are available
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by simdam500(m): 8:37pm On Jan 16, 2015
OMOYE247: Well....tried once but it didnt work,d way nd manner he usually murder d English language was anonying...e.g 'have you eat?.....Abeg I love Good Vocabulary relationships nsd marriages...classy and butty things are sexy

u right...

I hate it in both phone conversation and online conversation...

annoying and bored...

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by DeeChukwu: 8:42pm On Jan 16, 2015
Chai the illiterate bloods you people are busy sharing
Chei!
Chei!
There is God o
Brings out my handkerchief

Wipes the tears off
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 16, 2015
Many of the people labeling others illiterate don't sound very educated themselves.
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Jamean(f): 9:38pm On Jan 16, 2015
At Aba road tongue

Scrypt:
If she is teachable, why not? However, it also depends on the level of illiteracy. This thing get level oh. Without even a primary 6? Haba, where am I going to meet such a person self? undecided

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by 989900: 10:16pm On Jan 16, 2015
Adjective

1. Unable to read and write.
2. Having or demonstrating very little or no education.
3. Showing lack of culture, especially in language and literature (e.g. PEJ and a good number of Nigerian tertiary graduates).
4. Displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field e.g. GEJ, GMB, Einstein, Me, and everyone else.

Noun

5. An illiterate person.

--dictionary.reference

A. Unable to read and write.
B. Having little or no formal education.
C. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature: an illiterate magazine.
D. Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing: a paragraph with several illiterate expressions.
E. Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: He is musically illiterate.
--thefreedictionary.

Definition of Literate

1: an educated person
2: a person who can read and write

--merriam-webster

UNESCO defines literacy as the "ability to identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate and compute, using printed and written materials associated with varying contexts. Literacy involves a continuum of learning in enabling individuals to achieve their goals, to develop their knowledge and potential, and to participate fully in their community and wider society".

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Mrcapability7: 10:17pm On Jan 16, 2015
mamajohn:
one of the biggest problem of GEJ is his illiterate wife, marry an illiterate wife and be ready for public disgrace like Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
she is ten thousands billion thousand trillion times good,better,best than u,ur mother,sister's and ur other female relations
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by aleniboro(m): 10:33pm On Jan 16, 2015
Truely, formal education is good which i think is what OP means by being literate. However, can we say run girls in schools that graduated through bottom power, with tattoos all over her body, bleached, student during the day and parol girl at night, dating older men for money, maga don pay lover, automatic manhood size detector due to uncountable multiple sex partners and "who knows ways knows books" category of girls are literates? if this is the defintion of our literacy simply because she manoeuvre her way to get paper certificate, then their is a problem. We have been together in school and we have all witnessed the scenario above. No wonder guys these days are marrying home trained secondary school leaver and later send them to formal school under their guidance instead of putting their future in uncertainty with over-exposed so called literate ladies that are full of "self" in our society. Kanu Nwankwo is one of those men that have carefully chosen a homely trained young girl and guide her through formal training!

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by aleniboro(m): 10:38pm On Jan 16, 2015
Mrcapability7:
she is ten thousands billion thousand trillion times good,better,best than u,ur mother,sister's and ur other female relations
This woman you just mentioned is well known by everybody in this country. But you, an educated person as you claim, is only known as a faceless person just on Nairaland. If you manage to achieve or get to where this woman is, none of your family including your friends will want you to die forever!
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by papichula: 11:06pm On Jan 16, 2015
bolafez:

which one of them can u marry?...stop begging the question
none
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by jauntty: 11:14pm On Jan 16, 2015
Marry an illiterate...NEVER. I can't even marry a literate Girl who is not intelligent, smart and without broaden knowledge about life generally. Some will say am setting high standards but the truth is, the Life am creating for myself will require such a person to blend in. #But I can DATE any girl sha ...Illiterate or not, as long as the parameters and permutations are right.
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by STENON(f): 11:24pm On Jan 16, 2015
I cant even try such a thing.

An Illiterate Husband!!.......

No, No, NO.......
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Mrcapability7: 11:40pm On Jan 16, 2015
aleniboro:

This woman you just mentioned is well known by everybody in this country. But you, an educated person as you claim, is only known as a faceless person just on Nairaland. If you manage to achieve or get to where this woman is, none of your family including your friends will want you to die forever!
in phyno voice mama told me to live with no ekooo, bia oga m o na which bitch is well known by insanity pple in d country? which bitch were u referin to mr capability? Am sorry i just didn't got you
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Bamz(m): 12:02am On Jan 17, 2015
Well illiteracy is a big deal for me. But God's will be done, who says she still won't learn it all?

Wrong mindsets, that's all there is, nothing is impossible.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Meckypee: 12:32am On Jan 17, 2015
You have spoken well broda...I learnt alot from your contribution..its gud to have your type on this forum..weldone
Empero1:

The truth is that , there is a difference between education and illiteracy . There is a higher chance for someone who's informally educated in a multi-ethnicity country like ours to be illiterate in our national lingua franca . Take for instance , an informal educated building technologist ( brick layer ) , let me assume that your local dialect is Igbo language same as the this guy . Now , this kind of person may lack the ability to express himself properly in English language , so also would he find it hard to present his acquired knowledge in the filed of building technology in the queens language . But , I bet you , when you engage him in discussion in your local dialect and hear him talk and lecture you about his specialized field of knowledge in the local dialect in which he was taught the work , you would be amazed at the level of knowledge and wisdom he has . This is also applicable to roadside car mechanics .

Summary of my analysis above is this ; one can be illiterate in a particular language and at the same time be educated . So , life is all about packaging - education and wisdom does it all . You can package that illiterate man in English language , to become the literate man you want him to be in any language of your choice , as long as he has wisdom and is educated ( formally/informally ) . South African president , Jacob Zuma comes to mind , he never had formal education , but you dare not tell me that someone like him is an illiterate , no . I hope you get my drift .

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jan 17, 2015
2SWT:
N0000h
How old are you? you must be at your early 20, lets wait till you clock 30
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by corruptst(m): 6:39am On Jan 17, 2015
olafunny:
who is den an illiterate? cheesy
So, everyone in England is literate. Madam, pls check ur dictionary.
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by bonetalk(m): 6:52am On Jan 17, 2015
bosun11:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin SO MANY ERRORS..LMAO

it would have been better if those errors can be pointed out and corrected, so others can learn from it, mere criticism is not enough

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by whysquare4real(m): 9:05am On Jan 17, 2015
papichula:
Front page tinz dancing shoki for mainland bridge
****modified***

Illitracy get level by level...they are some dat cannot read and write ,some dat cannot speak gud english...and so on it depends on d level of illitracy

I don't tink u can call someone who has an O' level an illiterate. If u ve bin to d north u will know who a real illiterate is. Any one dat can read and write should not be labelled as an illiterate. I ve a friend who is a mechanic. He had an NCE and now he is currently running his degree is a Fed. Univ. But d guy cannot speak good English(his english is really bad)and he is even one of d best in his class wit a good GP. Can u now say d guy is an illiterate?NO! He is not just good in English but he can read, write, cram and pass exams.
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by ETTY2008(f): 10:15am On Jan 17, 2015
Mmadukaku:

Someone who is educated but can't speak good english. grin
Smh

Very correct
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by ETTY2008(f): 10:19am On Jan 17, 2015
[quote author=989900 post=29858089]Adjective

1. Unable to read and write.
2. Having or demonstrating very little or no education.
3. Showing lack of culture, especially in language and literature (e.g. PEJ and a good number of Nigerian tertiary graduates).
4. Displaying a marked lack of knowledge in a particular field e.g. GEJ, GMB, Einstein, Me, and everyone else.

Noun

5. An illiterate person.

--dictionary.reference

A. Unable to read and write.
B. Having little or no formal education.
C. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature: an illiterate magazine.
D. Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing: a paragraph with several illiterate expressions.
E. Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: He is musically illiterate.
--thefreedictionary.

Definition of Literate

1: an educated person
2: a person who can read and write

--merriam-webster

UNESCO defines literacy as the "ability to identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate and compute, using printed and written materials associated with varying contexts. Literacy involves a continuum of learning in enabling individuals to achieve their goals, to develop their knowledge and potential, and to participate fully in their community and wider society".[/quot

Wonderful!
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by ETTY2008(f): 10:22am On Jan 17, 2015
jauntty:
Marry an illiterate...NEVER. I can't even marry a literate Girl who is not intelligent, smart and without broaden knowledge about life generally. Some will say am setting high standards but the truth is, the Life am creating for myself will require such a person to blend in. #But I can DATE any girl sha ...Illiterate or not, as long as the parameters and permutations are right.

Hmmmmmm! Smart!
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Jobyruz(m): 10:27am On Jan 17, 2015
who is den an illiterate? cheesy[/quote]someone who can neither read nor write is an illiterate.commanding good tone of grammar without those attributes still label u as one
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by ifeomaekol(f): 10:52am On Jan 17, 2015
Yes as long as he is a real man.
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by Dev13(m): 10:52am On Jan 17, 2015
Yes
Re: Can You Marry An Illiterate? by bosun11(m): 10:54am On Jan 17, 2015
bonetalk:

it would have been better if those errors can be pointed out and corrected, so others can learn from it, mere criticism is not enough

alright bro, would have to find the comment and point out the errors later man....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Am 29 And Am Scared Of Marriage! / When Does A Disvirgined Gal Start To Enjoy Sex / My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.