Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,092 members, 7,953,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:23 PM

General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 - Travel (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 (1027926 Views)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (469) (Go Down)

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 28, 2015
Nt all schools will allow you defer your admission. And for good reasons. Next year application might be more competitive. And they would want to access u based on the people dat apply then. There is only one sure way to find out. Email them as soon as possible. Kiel is a port city if im nt mistaken. Port cities always make sense. You shouldn't have a problem with that. Congrats.
pompido:
In a big twist of events, Kiel University just sent me my temporary admission document. I am actually a bit surprised considering the fact that the school was the last one I applied to. Digital Communications. I have until June 12 to accept and get my original admission document sent to me.

Now to the bosses in house, what are your opinions about Kiel University, the city and options for a family (immediate or later).

I still await Offenburg, Hamburg and FAU.....

Is there a possibility of differing of admission by 1year? Reason is I just changed jobs and may like to gain a few experience in this new role before exiting........but leaving is not a problem if there is no other option.

Thanks for the congratulations in advance.... wink

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by pompido: 5:21pm On May 28, 2015
dammymayor:
Nt all schools will allow you defer your admission. And for good reasons. Next year application might be more competitive. And they would want to access u based on the people dat apply then. There is only one sure way to find out. Email them as soon as possible. Kiel is a port city if im nt mistaken. Port cities always make sense. You shouldn't have a problem with that. Congrats.

I do understand your point but I will do as advised and email them asap. You are correct..Kiel is a port city.
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Obiwannn: 6:00pm On May 28, 2015
pompido:
In a big twist of events, Kiel University just sent me my temporary admission document. I am actually a bit surprised considering the fact that the school was the last one I applied to. Digital Communications. I have until June 12 to accept and get my original admission document sent to me.

Now to the bosses in house, what are your opinions about Kiel University, the city and options for a family (immediate or later).

I still await Offenburg, Hamburg and FAU.....

Is there a possibility of differing of admission by 1year? Reason is I just changed jobs and may like to gain a few experience in this new role before exiting........but leaving is not a problem if there is no other option.

Thanks for the congratulations in advance.... wink

Congrats o..
me seF bin apply 2 kiel dat yr o...
bros if u consider high ranking sha, den go to kiel
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 28, 2015
Hello ladies and gent on these forum. I realised most of the conversations here is on study .my questions are. 1. Arent there an avenue to migrate to germany via securing a job from Nigeria. 2. whats the probability of securing a job( apprentice job ) in germany with the help of an insider.3. after receiving an offer of employment from a coy in germany. What is the next point of action. thanks as i await all response and contribution.
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by shaggy12: 8:16pm On May 28, 2015
Hello guys, I have been reading a lot on these page and. I wish to ask for some advice/guidance. This is my little story. I know winter application is off the balance but am bracing up for summer and the preparation has begun. I have a Cgpa of 3.12 studied computer sci /maths with over 4years working experience in telecoms as an engineer with major Telecom giants like glo, mtn to name a few. I wish to apply for M.sc in information/communication technology. My major challenge is the IELTS. Am opportune to get the letter of proficiency from Ministry off education in Lieu of IELTS. With the help of gurus here like eke40seven, danindia, cindino, styles, and others I may not remember, please can you help me with schools that can waive ielts in place of letter of proficiency. Also, what are my chances of getting admitted with my Cgpa.. I hope to read from you guys soonest!

1 Like

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by styles2009: 9:48pm On May 28, 2015
shaggy12:
Hello guys, I have been reading a lot on these page and. I wish to ask for some advice/guidance. This is my little story. I know winter application is off the balance but am bracing up for summer and the preparation has begun. I have a Cgpa of 3.12 studied computer sci /maths with over 4years working experience in telecoms as an engineer with major Telecom giants like glo, mtn to name a few. I wish to apply for M.sc in information/communication technology. My major challenge is the IELTS. Am opportune to get the letter of proficiency from Ministry off education in Lieu of IELTS. With the help of gurus here like eke40seven, danindia, cindino, styles, and others I may not remember, please can you help me with schools that can waive ielts in place of letter of proficiency. Also, what are my chances of getting admitted with my Cgpa.. I hope to read from you guys soonest!

My 2cents many would ignore your post or better still tell you to do a search on daad.de yourself and see the schools doing your course.

Please also visit uni assit and send them an email and you would surly get a reply.

You are going to be doing a lot of information search ,while schooling here.

Cheers
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Williamso(m): 11:17pm On May 28, 2015
shaggy12:

Try Ruhr Bochum University: Cognitive Science, OR
Kiel University of AS: Information Technology, OR
University of Stuttgart: Computer Science, OR
University of Bielefeld: Intelligent Systems

Their application process is still on (you can make WiSe2015) and you can use a proficiency letter.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Eke40seven(m): 11:36pm On May 28, 2015
shaggy12:

My network is too poor to answer with more details and supplementary facts.
However, these are the things you should note:
1. If you have your transcripts now, you can actually catch up with one or two schools.
2. Most schools will accept your GP (2.4 in german grading system) for at least the minimum requirements but if the admission is restricted just like 90% of the courses, then you would need other things like a good motivation letter, and file in your work experience, etc.
**Even with all that in some competitive courses, that alone MIGHT still not be enough but will give you a fighting chance***
3. There are more courses available in ICT than most other fields in Germany for English taught programmes (probably save for Economics) but in summer, availability is a big problem.
4. use Daad.de to check for courses as the boss above have suggested. For the individual courses, the information on language requirements will tell you whether the IELTS can be waived or not. If its not available, mail them with the email address provided by the school, they will surely reply you with the right info.

5. For your chances of admission, it is widely believed that schools in the east are more lenient, but in truth, your chances improves with the number of schools you apply to at least meeting their minimum requirements.

I hope you find it useful

Good luck!
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by victz: 12:22am On May 29, 2015
There is no comparism between Oldernburg and Mannhiem when it comes to economy or job prospects. Mannhiem is far better, there are English speakers in Mannhiem too the same cannot be said about Oldernburg. One of American military base is situated in Mannhiem
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Eke40seven(m): 8:25am On May 29, 2015
Cindino20:

I wrote the exam abt 15 mths ago despite the fact that I was a prospective Msc Student..It was obvious that the lady was nt pleased with the answers I gave during the interview. She accussed me of givin answers given to her by my frnd.well thats story for another day.

As a science student..The exam will be in 2 part. Mathematics ( left for me I will call it arithmetic so as not to offend the mathematicians in d building).
Topics: Fractions ..Binomial expansion, Pythagoras Theory..Trig function or so.

Then the other paper would be a subject related to your field.

Duration of Exam:30mins.

If I remember anythin else I will edit my post later.

NB: If the interviewer is satisfied with your interview there maybe no need for exam..but to be on d safer side brush dis topics ...

All the best pple.
Spot on!!
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Eke40seven(m): 9:02am On May 29, 2015
victz:
There is no comparism between Oldernburg and Mannhiem when it comes to economy or job prospects. Mannhiem is far better, there are English speakers in Mannhiem too the same cannot be said about Oldernburg. One of American military base is situated in Mannhiem
You could be right but let's be cautious though when we are making such comparison because sometimes, it doesn't always work that way. Here are my reasons; I know two young lady friends, each in the aforementioned cities coincidentally and both in masters and both came in at same time with same passion to get a job. The one in Oldenburg have already switched to another job while the other in Manheim is still complaining about not getting any. The advantage the other MAY have is that Oldenburg is close to a bigger city, Bremen (30 mins) while Manheim is a bit farther from any.
The guys in Munich are really struggling to hold a job down because of the language, while someone who was in Hamburg just this year has tied down a second job and I think left because the other was demanding.
However, it is generally assumed that Munich will be easier.
In all, the most important thing is your level of German proficiency. That's the single most important thing whether you are in an exclusively English speaking town or not. Your personal struggle to look for jobs, access to information and probably the person you know that could put you through are also important. Also don't look at your city in Isolation but assess its access to bigger cities.
Our ogas could correct me if I just spilt utter balderdash but that's the result of my simple statistical analysis.

Then from an academic point of view, Oldenburg's system of grading at least for their MSC is so sweet and of course sweeter than Manheim. Here is the reason, in Oldenburg, if you score 1.3, you have the opportunity to retake the exam within same period, if you think you could perform better and score 1.0. In Manheim, you could only rewrite an exam a second time ONLY when you fail outrightly, so, if I have opportunity in the two schools, where would you think I would go? and these subtle differences goes a long way in determining whether our stay will be fantastic or difficult.

3 Likes

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Cindino20(m): 9:31am On May 29, 2015
crowns2:

Chop knuckle. Thanks so much. So did you pass the exam and got the visa in the end?

Yea I did...ad my friend didnt pass the exam and was denied visa 4 days later..He was advised to appeal and he did that stating that he was not prepared for the examination and was under stress. His appeal was successful and today he is in Trier doing his masters.This story u can find in the part 1 of this thread.

To add to what Eke said (Eke is spot on on those scenario,Its common) Getting a job as a student is more than hw vibrant a city is economically or how well you speak German although this may be important. I cannot pinpoint one major way to get a job as a student here in Germany. I ve seen guys who ve spent less than 3 mths getting good job without german skills and even gettin good student jobs..I think it has to do with networking. An advise to prospective students will be to network more with Nigerians and Cameroonians.

When deciding to choose between 2 schs kindly follow EKe407's advise ...Look deep into the modules and rules of the uni..The rules about how exams are done is very important. In some sch the second appointment is done a mth after the first exam while in some the seond appointment is done after a year. The advantage of the later is that you have the opportunity of passing the course within the same semester since second appointment will e done during holidays but in the other case you have to wait for one academic session and if there that course is a prerequisite then it becomes a problem (before someone jumps in and exclaim I will nt fail....Hold it SHIT HAPPENS). The other exam rule to watch out for is if one can resit an exam passed eg. if you write an exam and you dont like your score, In Germany you are allowed to write an exam 3times or so. For some schs and depts you can only rewrite core courses again if your dont like your grade while for some you can write both elective courses and core courses 3 times if you dont like your score (my dept just changed the rule to the latter). You can get the exam rules on the webpage of your program (Examination regulations or prüfungsordnung).

Another key point and to me the most important to me select a course you love, somthing you love to do...I tell you solemnly..When the going gets tough you, what will keep you going is the love you have for what you are doing and hw well motivated you are.

For those whose courses are research based....If you are to choose between 2 departments.Choose a department that has collaborations with industrial partners or research institutes ( preferably these institutions should be close to the uni or if far from the uni the dept encourgaes a stay ie internship with this firm) The advantage of such is that it gives you the opportunity to work with such firms during your study period and this will be helpful in the long run especially for pple without experience as it will be a valuable assest in your cv ( an internship or thesis done at a leading firm or research institute is a big plus ) that is if you dont get retained by such firms.

All the best my pple.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and maynot be 100% valid.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by shaggy12: 2:55pm On May 29, 2015
Hi guys,i so much appreciate your response and also giving me options and stating schools for me to check out.
Have sent an email to the stated schools asking if a letter to proof my English proficiency will be accepted but yet to get response from the skuls.
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Cindino20(m): 3:35pm On May 29, 2015
shaggy12:
Hi guys,i so much appreciate your response and also giving me options and stating schools for me to check out.
Have sent an email to the stated schools asking if a letter to proof my English proficiency will be accepted but yet to get response from the skuls.

You will probably get a reply from next week as schs are on hols this week (Pfingstferien or mid semester break) I really dont know if thats the cause ..but relax a bit and wait for next week.

All the best
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Williamso(m): 4:36pm On May 29, 2015
shaggy12:
It's on their website, no need to mail the schools. Just go and get a proficiency letter from your university. Gracias
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Cindino20(m): 5:22pm On May 29, 2015
crowns2:
Cindino20 please i like to ask; if one comes into Germany newly and gets into the town where the Uni is, at first where will the person most likely stay before getting accommodation for his or herself? Like how much will it cost the person at first before settling in?

Hostel ...I spent the first the first 3 days in 4 bed hostel. I booked the hostel accomodation from Nigeria. Then later I got an accommodation, but the best thing for you to do is for you to register for accomodation at the studenwerk in your sch after recieving your admission letter then you re placed on the waiting list (long waiting list).Also you can use wggesucht.de site to contact private landlords cos you may end up staying there for some time before landing the dream studentenwerk hostel. If you are lucky you can get an apartment from naija but its quite diffficult as most landlords would want to meet you first. Advantages of staying at studentenwerk hostel range from relatively cheap, living close to the uni as most of their hostels are close to the uni, you get to use sch internet connection which gives you access to online libraries and journals and of course Hostel parties grin grin .

Hostel accommodation per night (Hotel) depends on the number of beds and facilities. It ranges from 20 euros a night to about 40euros.I cant really gv a straight answer to your question cos it depends on so many things, but I am going to try and outline the expenses you will likely encounter before you get access to your blocked account.

1. Assuming you dont ve anybody in germany or the city like me (landing in germany like James Bond) you are gonna spend the first 2 to 3 nights in an hostel and lets say the hostel is 30 euros a night that will set you back by ca. 100quids

2.First monthly rent and Kautions (deposits) The general rule is that the kaution is 2 times your monthly rent but you can negotiate with the landlord or simply look for accomodation where you dont have to pay kaution fee. You cant access your account without the document from the city council that you re registered in tha city and that you get when you have a rent contract.

3. Social contrbution at sch : this is about 250 euros ...You need to pay this to get your semester ticket ( free transportation), your student certificate.

4.Feeding money..Probably survive on bigmac cry and cola grin

So you see it depends. But the best thing to do is for you to look for Nigerians in your city either by asking the international office to hook you up or shouting here on nairaland that way you save your self the stress of paying that hostel fee and looking for accomodation in a more relaxed way, the person can also check out accomodation for you before you arrive if need be.

I hope I ve answered your question.

All the best.

NB: when you arrive in your sch seek assitance from the international office ...they re nice to a fault..they can link you up with Nigerians in your sch and also assist you with registration and visa extension

Its been awhile since I arrived and some things may ve changed ..I think people who came in last october shld ve more info about these stuffs ..

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 29, 2015
Cindino20:

Hostel ...I spent the first the first 3 days in 4 bed hostel. I booked the hostel accomodation from Nigeria. Then later I got an accommodation, but the best thing for you to do is for you to register for accomodation at the studenwerk in your sch after recieving your admission letter then you re placed on the waiting list (long waiting list).Also you can use wggesucht.de site to contact private landlords cos you may end up staying there for some time before landing the dream studentenwerk hostel. If you are lucky you can get an apartment from naija but its quite diffficult as most landlords would want to meet you first. Advantages of staying at studentenwerk hostel range from relatively cheap, living close to the uni as most of their hostels are close to the uni, you get to use sch internet connection which gives you access to online libraries and journals and of course Hostel parties grin grin .

I hope I ve answered your question.

All the best.

NB: when you arrive in your sch seek assitance from the international office ...they re nice to a fault..they can link you up with Nigerians in your sch and also assist you with registration and visa extension
Thank you Cindino
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Cindino20(m): 5:45pm On May 29, 2015
crowns2:

Thank you Cindino

You welcome...I edited my post
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Obiwannn: 6:21pm On May 29, 2015
Cindino20:

You welcome...I edited my post

CHECK UR PM BOSS!!!....
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by dcitizen: 6:45pm On May 29, 2015
@ crowns, how do you get the online application form for the application for the study of beng in engineering physics in oldenburg university as most of the information is written in german language. i am interested in the programme. do the school exempt nigerians from presenting toefl result as part of proof for language proficiency. i have a hnd( upper credit) in mechanical engineering. need your reply.
Re: General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Cindino20(m): 7:13pm On May 29, 2015
Obiwannn:

CHECK UR PM BOSS!!!....

Seen

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (469)

Travelling To Canada Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.