Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,630 members, 7,827,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

How To Be Friends With Benefits - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Be Friends With Benefits (1566 Views)

Let’s Talk! Can You Really Be Friends With An Ex? / Would You Remain Friends With An Ex? / She Still Wants To Be Friends With "Him"..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be Friends With Benefits by fijiano202(m): 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2015
A friend with benefits is a person with whom you maintain a positive relationship, but whom you only really see for casual sex. Such relationships might baffle someone who is looking for romantic love, but according to Men's Fitness writer Holly Martin, these types of relationships are trending. A match.com study found that 47 percent of singles polled in 2012 had a friend with benefits, up from 20 percent in 2011. To have a successful friends with benefits relationship, choose your FWB carefully, lay some ground rules, maintain a casual relationship and stay honest about your feelings.

Choose Wisely: The point of a friends-with-benefits situation is to maintain a casual relationship without complications or commitment. To that end, don’t hook up with a longtime buddy or member of your core friend group. You probably also want to avoid anyone who lives in your building, advises Christine Coppa in Glamour Magazine. If you see your FWB outside of the bedroom on a regular basis, your relationship is likely to move faster than you intended. It’s best to choose someone whose daily life doesn’t intersect much with yours.

Lay the Ground Rules: For an FWB relationship to work, both partners need to agree on what they want. Romantic attachment will change a casual relationship, says Martin, and if feelings exist between you they will only grow stronger. To prevent awkward miscommunication, tell your partner exactly what you’re looking for. Ground rules might include: no speaking about the other people you’re dating, no sleeping over and no going out together. You make the rules -- just make sure that you and your FWB both agree.

Keep It Casual: Once you make the rules, stick to them. Don’t invite your FWB to hang out with your other friends, advises Coppa. Don’t suggest that you both go out to dinner together. Go home after a rendezvous instead of staying to cuddle. And try not to think about who else your FWB might be dating if he doesn’t text back. You both agreed to keep it simple, which means you’re free to go have your own fun instead of worrying about him. Make sure you continue to have your own plans with friends, family and dating.

Speak Honestly: If your feelings change, you have to say something. Miscommunication happens when one person in a friends-with-benefits situation begins to want more, but doesn’t speak the truth. In a study done by researchers at Michigan State University and Wayne State University, of the friends-with-benefits relationships studied, “One-tenth of these relationships went on to become full-scale romances…about a third stopped the sex and remained friends, and one in four eventually broke it off — the sex and the friendship. The rest continued as friends-with-benefits relationships.” In short, the relationship is likely to change or end at some point, so it’s best to be honest about your feelings if you want to avoid complications.
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by Maamin(m): 3:46pm On Jan 17, 2015
undecided can I get a glass of water pls?
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by bennygreat1(m): 3:51pm On Jan 17, 2015
Hmmm....

Does such friends really exist
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by youngds: 4:06pm On Jan 17, 2015
They're wise now, gone are dos days! dey'll looking for ring now like goblins undecided
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by fijiano202(m): 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2015
youngds:
They're wise now, gone are dos days! dey'll looking for ring now like goblins undecided
grin gringringringringrin
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by hopeforcharles(m): 4:45pm On Jan 17, 2015
youngds:
Hahahahhahahahahhaha Goblins of Lord of the Rings, lol
You are funny, infact these days I prefer friends with benefits
It is easy to maintain and no attachments.
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by youngds: 8:50pm On Jan 17, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Hahahahhahahahahhaha Goblins of Lord of the Rings, lol
You are funny, infact these days I prefer friends with benefits
It is easy to maintain and no attachments.

u must av something she really wants! especially if u av big cucumber as ur 3rd leg!! & most times low self esteem girls do fall victim of FWB
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by DonX001: 9:09pm On Jan 17, 2015
FWBs have been the way forward for me for the past year or so....and it makes so much sense....far much more than dating.
No unnecessary calls, no drama, no strings attached up and down, everyone is happy.....
And a man can face his career squarely.
Doesnt look like its going to change anytime soon....
Maybe because i'm yet to meet someone who can wow me enough to want to go through all the hassles of regular dating again
Re: How To Be Friends With Benefits by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 17, 2015
fwb works for me. in fact I've become so close n free with them that they share stuff with me that they can't share with their bfs. it's always fun until feelings creep in. thts when I end it gradually...

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Our Young Ladies Not Nice At All? / Please Help, She's Engaged Yet Can't Leave Me Alone / See How Girls Deceive Guys (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.