Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,020 members, 7,956,778 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:41 PM

Should I Have Allowed Her? - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Allowed Her? (25796 Views)

My Husband Did This When I Allowed His Female Friend Live With Us / I Think Cane Should Be Allowed In Schools To Keep Away This............. / Must We Bury People With Fanfare? , Rantings allowed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

I see you edited your post

I did not do name tagging nor did I join them in any issues.

if you feel offended by my some of my posts, I apologize however, I do not apologize for my opinions.

There is no need to take this too serious; we are neither the host nor guest in the OP.

It is all good.

Cheers.

I can never be offended by another persons opinions because it is their right to give it. I only responded after you tried to tell me how to state my own opinion when you freely state yours thats all, we can only debate on it and log off and live our lives.
You gave yours and I gave mine and you asked me not to get " riled up" well its my choice and my right to do so if I choose too.

I added to my post, took nothing out of it
People should stand by their views and not attempt to drag others to enter a situation they didnt create thats all I added abi am I not permitted to " edit"
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by freecocoa(f): 2:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
Chillisauce:

Ok, maybe bereton international cheesy.

btw, What's wrong saying things as it is.

This is NOT a gender issue.
You advice on that thread , some call you man hater,
You advice in another thread, they say women are their worst enemy.

Is everything linked to gender in this website. How old are we again

E tire me too my sister.
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 2:35pm On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

I can never be offended by another persons opinions because it is their right to give it. I only responded after you tried to tell me how to state my own opinion when you freely state yours thats all, we can only debate on it and log off and live our lives.
You gave yours and I gave mine and you asked me not to get " riled up" well its my choice and my right to do so if I choose too.

I added to my post, took nothing out of it
People should stand by their views and not attempt to drag others to enter a situation they didnt create thats all I added abi am I not permitted to " edit"

No problem, we all cannot see things the same way

@bolded, no.. come and catch me

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 22, 2015
Actually I was offended by Bukys post.
This thread has got nothing to do with a tribe but individual mind-sets.
How can she say that I was not a proper Yoruba person simply because I don’t go and fight people who I let into my house and decided to cook in my kitchen . . so what am I? . . .an alien?

I do however understand that people have different upbringing and life experiences, however these views remain personal and not global.
I am glad that this thread shows the difference in opinions. We need to have open minds and not insult when people dont share the same views.

We can’t afford be myopic in our views. Religion and culture . . very sensitive topics. Many wars have started from this.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

And how would the wife have refused to open the door?

"Hello Cassidy... bla bla'; sees unknown face (lady) and close the door?"

Does the wife automatically trust Cassidy's lady whom she met that night because she slept there overnight?

Unfortunately, the Cassidy's lady did not know the family and should have had problems doing so.

Cassidy is a friend to the family . . .from what I gathered
The respect the family give to Cassidy is the same respect that they should give his guest
What Cassidy did wrong was to bring an uninvited friend along
What the host should have done was to still treat both of them well and have a word with Cassdy later asking him to please pre inform them before bringing a guest in future.

If they had a serious personal problem with Cassidys guest, then they should tell Cassidy to lodge her/them both into an hotel. I wont sleep in the same house with someone I am uncomfortable with.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by chizzy86(f): 2:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
In this part of the world where everyone is suspicious of everyone, its a red flag. In Iboland it shows disrespect, of course unless ur a free person. For me, I won't allow such. What I won't do is exchanger words with the said lady visitor but pls don't enter my kitchen. Most especially for security reasons. People I know well and relatives can, but dea stranger. I won't do same either. Not everyone has good intentions

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by LordReed(m): 2:47pm On Jan 22, 2015
freecocoa:
Wait o, so you are saying madam's anger is justified? She had a right to get angry and talk to the girl anyhow because girl entered her kitchen to fry an egg? Why are you dismissing madam's already biased state of mind before the encounter? Is that not a factor here?

Why should the girl pacify her when madam must have insulted her? Don't you think since madam already think her annoying, whatever she said would still be used against her? Inshort, how are you sure she didn't try and madam insisted on making trouble? For both men to insist she apologize, then madam is not telling us everything.

Madam's anger is justified, madam's prejudice and judgmental attitude is not. Nobody knows what is in any other person's mind no matter how perceptive. You don't confront someone based on what you think they are thinking of you, you respond to what they say or do. Responding to what you think the person is thinking is what gets us into situations like this, break down of proper communication. Madam did not insult her, she spoke in anger. When confronted in anger by someone you wronged you don't help the situation by responding in kind. If madam actually did insult the chic then yes apologies are in order.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 2:49pm On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

How can she say that I was not a proper Yoruba person simply because I don’t go and fight people who I let into my house and decided to cook in my kitchen . . so what am I? . . .an alien?

I do however understand that people have different upbringing and life experiences, however these views remain personal and not global.
I am glad that this thread shows the difference in opinions. We need to have open minds and not insult when people dont share the same views.

We can’t afford be myopic in our views. Religion and culture . . very sensitive topics. Many wars have started from this.

@bold,

This was my post below... note the bolded

bukatyne:

@bolded,

I think it is a culture thing

No right thinking Yoruba person would enter another person's kitchen without permission (except she/he is on a mission to cause trouble).

It might not be a biggie in other cultures.

Did I mention anything about fight?

Can you enter someone's kitchen you did not know or met for the first thing to cook without permission? You did not answer and kept going back that you must know the person etc. etc.

It is one thing to have a different opinion, it is another thing to twist my post to suit a purpose

Any Yoruba person that can walk into a strangers' kitchen to cook or has done such without permission has the right to quote me and we discuss...

Till then, Abeg

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by aderonila18: 2:51pm On Jan 22, 2015
Truth is a lot of married Nigerian women have attitude towards single girls . I suspect that if the woman was married to her friends husband she wouldn't have had the same reaction. She called the girl a side girl or ordinary girl friend like she wasn't that before she got married undecided

I don't understand the point of bringing in tribe , do we even know the tribe of the girl Also people grow up differently, in some homes the kitchen is a big deal where madam reigns in her kingdom undecided whereas for others the kitchen is just somewhere to get food.

As long as the guest cleans up after herself once she's done in the kitchen it's not a big deal. Some people just like to carry kitchen matter for head undecided

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

@bold,

Can you enter someone's kitchen you did not know or met for the first thing to cook without permission? You did not answer and kept going back that you must know the person etc. etc.

It is one thing to have a different opinion, it is another thing to twist my post to suit a purpose

Any Yoruba person that can walk into a strangers' kitchen to cook or has done such without permission has the right to quote me and we discuss...

Till then, Abeg

So I am wrong thinking . . .
Okay oooooooooo!
Ive said my own
No need to prolong the matter
I know you are an intelligent girl and so you have picked up what you said that was wrong so no need flogging the matter.
Thats enough for me
EOD

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

Its sad sometimes we don't understand that our views and how we were trained is different from another persons upbringing and even though may be different may not be wrong just different. That's why i avoid the political section everything turns into a tribal blood bath

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 2:57pm On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

So I am wrong thinking . . .
Okay oooooooooo!
Ive said my own
No need to prolong
I know you are an intelligent girl and so you have picked up what you said that was wrong so no need flogging the matter.
Thats enough for me
EOD

Madam...

Was my post in reference to a host ?

Have you cooked in a person's kitchen you just met without permission as a guest?

The host did not say 'CC you are free to use my kitchen' and you just woke up and cooked there the next morning?

Ýou never answered yes or no so where is the 'right thinking' or 'left thinking' coming in?

What has this topic got to do with intelligence?

Yes, I have, no I have not simples and we progress.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
Na Mr. Cassidy I blame for all this oh,he should have listened to his babe and jejerly stayed in a hotel. 12 pages and counting. Men una no dey ever hear till kasala burst lol.

Na so I warn my husband about one woman who I said was too nosy for my liking, oga said me I was just being wahalaish oya now small time people will stop him and be asking him private personal issues, no body tell am, he didn't know how to come and tell me he was wrong, one day we saw her, he ignored her i say " oga sir see ya personal person oh" he gave me a murderous look ehnn

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by freecocoa(f): 3:01pm On Jan 22, 2015
LordReed:

Madam's anger is justified, madam's prejudice and judgmental attitude is not. Nobody knows what is in any other person's mind no matter how perceptive. You don't confront someone based on what you think they are thinking of you, you respond to what they say or do. Responding to what you think the person is thinking is what gets us into situations like this, break down of proper communication. Madam did not insult her, she spoke in anger. When confronted in anger by someone you wronged you don't help the situation by responding in kind. If madam actually did insult the chic then yes apologies are in order.
I agree with most of what you wrote but you are failing to see that, because madam has already formed an opinion about the girl, she's highly unlikely to act reasonably which thus escalated the whole ish, this is my point.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:
Na Mr. Cassidy I blame for all this oh,he should have listened to his babe and jejerly stayed in a hotel. 12 pages and counting. Men una no dey ever hear till kasala burst lol.

Cassidy wanted to be with his brother. Plus free accommodation. What he should have bargained more for was free food.

Unfortunately, that was Madams department.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
So the thingg don enter tribe now.

From gender to tribe.
We can as well send this to politics section.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
Chillisauce:

Cassidy wanted to be with his brother. Plus free accommodation. What he should have bargained more for was free food.

Unfortunately, that was Madams department.

Men and free food sha
They can do anything for free food, reminds me of my university days when a course mate copied 14 pages of notes for me because of rice lmao
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

Men and free food sha
They can do anything for free food, reminds me of my university days when a course mate copied 14 pages of notes for me because of rice lmao

Lol. I don't blame them, when mama never taught do some how to cook.
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

If its any consolation you are more Yoruba than anyone I have met
Polite even in anger lol

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 22, 2015
Chillisauce:

Lol. I don't blame them, when mama never taught do some how to cook.

My dear shebi if he could cook na he for allow him hand swell because I dey cook rice? Hiannnnnnnnnnn I will train my boys oh make them no suffer because of free food especially free jollof rice
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by LordReed(m): 3:23pm On Jan 22, 2015
freecocoa:
I agree with most of what you wrote but you are failing to see that, because madam has already formed an opinion about the girl, she's highly unlikely to act reasonably which thus escalated the whole ish, this is my point.

Agreed madam's prejudice coloured the way she approached the faux pas.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by dBard: 3:25pm On Jan 22, 2015
chaircover:

LOL . . he will hear it o!
Personally, side chick or not, I wouldnt even go to a place that I am not comfortable with
For all we know it was that same cassidy that woke up feeling hungry in the morning
She cooked wahala . . if she didnt cook trouble . .
I wonder if the OP would have been as angry if it had been Cassidys wife of 20 years . . . .Hmmmmm

Then a few threads down the line, we complain that single ladies are being "forced" to get married. meanwhile the undercurrents actually come from fellow women. Its not the parents, its not the men . . .its us women being nasty to fellow women

Personally I would have been acomodating to the girl and given her good advise and taken her under my wing and we become "buddys" even if we dont end up being very close, but to some wives every other woman is a threat and a danger. It is well.

. It is well.

I think I toe d line of bukatyne n co on dis one.
I find it really rude n discourteous for visitors to just pop into a person's kitchen to cook or whatever.
It'll be understandable if the relationship btw the parties has transcended that...but for a first time visitor, it's an absolute NO f me.

courtesy cuts across culture..

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by cococandy(f): 3:29pm On Jan 22, 2015
I know the girl was quite uncouth and OP owes her no apologies but I quite understand where she's coming from.

Imagine my oyibo bobo cheesy came into the country and I was looking forward to fun and privacy and a comfortable hotel plus room service and all that only for him to go the cheap way by camping with a married friend for the night. Gosh. No wonder OP saw a certain look on her face when she came into the house.

If she did have an annoyed look on her face, it was more for the boyfriend than the lady of the house who she never met before.
This Cassidy no try at all. Cheap dude angry

aisha2:

Na so I warn my husband about one woman who I said was too nosy for my liking, oga said me I was just being wahalaish oya now small time people will stop him and be asking him private personal issues, no body tell am, he didn't know how to come and tell me he was wrong, one day we saw her, he ignored her i say " oga sir see ya personal person oh" he gave me a murderous look ehnn

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
dBard:

I think I toe d line of bukatyne n co on dis one.
I find it really rude n discourteous for visitors to just pop into a person's kitchen to cook or whatever.
It'll be understandable if the relationship btw the parties has transcended that...but for a first time visitor, it's an absolute NO f me.

courtesy cuts across culture..

What is courtesy for you is not courtesy for me. Have you ever lived in a real northern settlement?

First of all you are expected to know 10 neighbours to your right, 10 to your left, 10 in front, 10 behind.

Secondly you can eat communally, the men gather in one compound in the evening and everybody from the different houses bring food and they eat one by one, the women and kids do same

Thirdly food is cooked and left in the flask or in the pot, anyone is free to access it
This is what i grew up seeing. Now I understand some other cultures they may not trust neighbours or share food it doesn't make them unfriendly just means their circumstances are different and may have led to mistrust.

Also some other cultures people guard their food for " security reasons" in the north we believe no one can kill you expect God wills. Some may describe this as careless but its their own way of life its different not wrong and guarding food may be different too but not wrong
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by bukatyne(f): 4:05pm On Jan 22, 2015
Ok, I have got an idea

Open a thread as an opinion poll

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by dBard: 4:16pm On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

What is courtesy for you is not courtesy for me. Have you ever lived in a real northern settlement?

First of all you are expected to know 10 neighbours to your right, 10 to your left, 10 in front, 10 behind.

Secondly you can eat communally, the men gather in one compound in the evening and everybody from the different houses bring food and they eat one by one, the women and kids do same

Thirdly food is cooked and left in the flask or in the pot, anyone is free to access it
This is what i grew up seeing. Now I understand some other cultures they may not trust neighbours or share food it doesn't make them unfriendly just means their circumstances are different and may have led to mistrust.

Also some other cultures people guard their food for " security reasons" in the north we believe no one can kill you expect God wills. Some may describe this as careless but its their own way of life its different not wrong and guarding food may be different too but not wrong
j

This frankly is a poor e.g of the point ur trying to make.
first of all, we're talking visitors/guests, ur talking neighbors in a communal setting.
as per ur example, most settings as u described above, most tins (including cooking etc) are done communally (common kitchen etc, everyone pitching in to help, no one in particular owning exclusively anything) and as such examples doesn't apply here.

in most homes, certain areas are deemed private, d kitchen inclusive.
except the status of the relationship permits,no guest should just walk in and make use of anothers kitchen. It's just wrong abeg.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2015
dBard:
j

This frankly is a poor e.g of the point ur trying to make.
first of all, we're talking visitors/guests, ur talking neighbors in a communal setting.
as per ur example, most settings as u described above, most tins (including cooking etc) are done communally (common kitchen etc, everyone pitching in to help, no one in particular owning exclusively anything) and as such examples doesn't apply here.

in most homes, certain areas are deemed private, d kitchen inclusive.
except the status of the relationship permits,no guest should just walk in and make use of anothers kitchen. It's just wrong abeg.
Sorry your mind is so closed to only what you know. Bye
Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by dBard: 4:30pm On Jan 22, 2015
aisha2:

Sorry your mind is so closed to only what you know. Bye

typical....s.m.h

7 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by delishpot: 4:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
bukatyne:

@bold,

Till then, Abeg

Gbam. Only an ill mannered Yoruba woman will do such.
A well brought up yoruba woman will even avoid the husband knowing what his wife did. All these daughters of jezebel of nowadays sha. On the other hand, her husband nor be am at all. And like one poster said, if the madam abused the babe and called her names, then yes, she should say sorry to her. Only if she called her names And insult her o.
I know many yoruba women and until they are very familiar with you, will not open your fridge. even if you show them your soup pot and say take, they will still try to make You dish for them by yourself.
Sheesh. i tire for some women sha.
Its diff if your host says take what ever o, then you can open fridge and take anything still with respect for some items in the fridge o.
We all have been to homes where hosts may not even want to feed us. We did not jump into their kitchens to take anything, we just put clothes on and go eat out. No need to fight your hostess. if you dont like there, just smile say thank you and carry ya kaya and leave. That was how our parents trained us. Only troublesome guests or relatives fight the woman of the house in which they visit in those days. Most just endure and do what they came for and leave peacefuly. They even do their fair share of chores around the house. Those who couldnt cope just move out and look for another accomodation. As for the rude hostess her karma catches up with her in future If she was just being wicked for no good reason.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by soonest(f): 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
Abeg the truth be told, who enters uninvitedly to someone's kitchen, someone you are not familiar with. Haba! Where are her manners?
The only place i fault d madam is her response to the girl. She should have exercised self control or better still she would have told her husband of her displeasure.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by damiso(f): 6:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
annalong:
I think most of us making comments about the madam of the house been a lioness, aggressive and judging the girl cos she is single are just doing the exact thing they are accusing her of. We have already judged the madam too and dissected her with just the few lines written here forgetting that there might have been so much left unsaid.

This woman has clearly shown us that she is not hot tempered or aggressive seeing that her character has been analysed and drag through the mud by people who know absolutely nothing about her and she has held her peace. If the saying 'by their fruit you shall know them is true' then her silence tells me the kind of person she is.

This is page 9 already and she has not tried to defend herself or insult people back for calling her insecure and intolerant. WE WOMEN ARE REALLY OUR OWN WORST ENEMIES.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Allowed Her? by damiso(f): 6:11pm On Jan 22, 2015
Na underground and workload grin grin I was going to ask the same question bukatyne asked (still not read all the new pages) since we have all established we will never do he same thing 'madam' did..I am on the road now but was going to paint a scenario and yes the answers are simple yes/no..

I dey come

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Wife Brings Fake Father To Represent PZ’S Baby Moment Winner / Missing Boy On Front Page Found(pic) / When Should A Child Stop Using Pampers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.