Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan (19743 Views)

Saraki Dozes Off In The Dock As Corruption Trial Takes Its Toll (Photo) / Rumble In The Jungle As Corruption Fights Back- The Vanguard / ''Wanted: Maximum Security For Mr. President As Corruption Fights Back'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by menesheh(m): 7:52am On Feb 14, 2015
2undexy:

oga, u b olodo..beta go back to primary school and start from the scrath

Am just typing and i then remember that i gat to book space 1st, that's why my i left my texts uncheck.

Olodo is a harsh word but i will endurance. Take care
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by linuxuser(m): 8:01am On Feb 14, 2015
Stealing and corruption are quite different no matter how people try to paint the President. You can be corrupt without stealing. Nepotism or bribe taking or giving is corruption. But does nepotism or taking/giving of a bribe entail stealing? No in my own opinion. But a thief is a thief i.e taking something that does not belong to you. Do you have to be corrupt before you steal? Not necessarily. This so called professor is surely a testament of corruption. He is been compromised hence just calling the President a name out of cheer foolishness. Is that not corruption? A year 1 Law Student surely knows the meaning of stealing in Law and yet our so called professor is confused. These so called Human Right Activist are surely worst than the politicians.

3 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Jesusloveyou: 8:02am On Feb 14, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Corruption is not only stealing, forging of certificate is corruption, lying under oath is also corruption. So stop fooling yaselves.
fake phd without thesis is most dangerous.everything about this ogogoro clueless man is corruption,that is why he is 'stealing is not corruption' president.

2 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by mycar: 8:02am On Feb 14, 2015
Hatred is very bad and kills body and soul faster than HBP and rest of other sin, there are many other faults we can find in the present administration but issue of stealing/ corruption. Mr. President says that corruption should not be used to cover up a case of stealing.

A person that steals should be called a thief as that carries more weight than using the word corruption. Using the word corruption for stealing makes it cumbersome for an ordinary man in the street to understand.

I hope you guys can still redeem your souls as you all know that nobody comes to this world and stays everlasting. Vanity upon vanity, all is vanity. Please criticise constructively and with an open mind too.

The change we want begins with you and me.

2 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Sanchez01: 8:05am On Feb 14, 2015
Some so-called intellectuals are becoming mentally innate.

1. The comment was a direct quote by the President in reference to a speech made by the Chief Justice of the federation.

2. Where I come from, a thief and a corrupt person is not the same so also is it in many parts of Nigeria.

We assume that Abomination is higher degree of Sin hence the Abominable needs to be ostracised.

3. In communication (syntax and semantic), the understanding of the recipient is/should be the target of the speaker to avoid defeating the purpose of the information delivered.

Let's stop flogging the dead horse. There is no mis-communication in the explanation of the President rather what we have are bunch of hate mongers who not only show their stupidity in attacking everything the President represents as a manifestations of the absolute resentment and antagonism.

[b]Ngwakwe, I beg to disagree with your assertion. I wouldn't have responded to your post if the syntax/semantic ish never came up.

What is Synatx: In a layman's definition, it refers to a branch of linguistics which governs the rule of language language

What is Semantics: It's also a branch of linguistics which refers to meaning in respect to symbols, words, phrases and what they mean.

Having clarified these two branches of linguistics, it would therefore be right to say your inclusion of Syntax in the discourse is flawed since the utterance of the President does not beg for linguistic analysis.

Therefore, a thief in EVERY part of the world is as a result of corrupt/soiled/perverted upbringing/personal conviction. Hence, your assertion of where you come from is again not accepted.

That someone sins in Christendom is the same as committing an abomination before God. And that would imply that for you to do something abominable means that you have flouted (sinned or gone contrary to) the set rules of the land, which again makes the two the same.

In your quest to defend the President, it would also be right to say that the President lacks the will to communicate effectively. Hence, the infamous quote you're trying to defend is 'Pragmatically' and 'Stylistics' interpreted, rather than depend on other part of the text/discourse for meaning.

What then is Pragmatics: This is a branch of linguistics which studies how CONTEXTS contribute to meaning or how a language is used in a CONTEXT.

And Stylistics? This deals with the study of texts/speech/utterance in regard to their tonal style

The concept of communication in this regard is well established and one would not need to put bits and pieces together to understand what the President means. While we're trying to create further argument between bad and evil, please note that another infamous phrase of the President; "How much did Jim Nwobodo stole?" is also to further expatiate that the President is a man of corrupt values, morals and would still go on to defend this shameful claim of his at the international scene if given a chance. I spent 4 years studying the branches of linguistics and would gladly analyze every speech of the President to prove my claim.

Abeg, let's enjoy politics cheesy[/b]

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Kedam(m): 8:05am On Feb 14, 2015
PassingShot:
I've said it before that trying to distinguish between stealing and corruption especially in the situation we find ourselves in Nigeria is a senseless thing to do. GEJ is not only corrupt but also a thief.

The worst of his utterances is the one on Nwobodo: "How much did Nwobodo stole that Buhari jailed him?".

And asking people openly during a presidential campaign if they like to go to jail is another evidence that our president is unapologetically and shamelessly corrupt.
when u talk about corruption either of them is an exception. Gud Buhari had a war against corruption. The most known was those who embezzled the public fund because their act was well known then and he was a dictator without limited power. All other form of corruption still exist then. Buhari's power is limited whatever he does he will play politics which can never be prevented, expecting something perfect from him is just a dream ( keep dreaming). Speaking about stealing isn't corruption he said a judge ones explained that to him. Even some laws work in a way we don't expect. I once listen to a programme while a judge was interviewed. She was asked about why those people with lesser offence were punished than those in govt who Embezzled billions. She said their is a law that once the culprit is able to return part of the money if not all they are let go after some agreement Is reached. I just hope the best win. If GMB win the election I think their will be something to learn from him either positive or negative.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by PassingShot(m): 8:17am On Feb 14, 2015
Kedam:
when u talk about corruption either of them is an exception. Gud Buhari had a war against corruption. The most known was those who embezzled the public fund because their act was well known then and he was a dictator without limited power. All other form of corruption still exist then. Buhari's power is limited whatever he does he will play politics which can never be prevented, expecting something perfect from him is just a dream ( keep dreaming). Speaking about stealing isn't corruption he said a judge ones explained that to him. Even some laws work in a way we don't expect. I once listen to a programme while a judge was interviewed. She was asked about why those people with lesser offence were punished than those in govt who Embezzled billions. She said their is a law that once the culprit is able to return part of the money if not all they are let go after some agreement Is reached. I just hope the best win. If GMB win the election I think their will be something to learn from him either positive or negative.

No one expects a miracle from GMB if he becomes our next president. He surely will have his hands full with all sorts of people and underhand dealings.

What we're saying is that a leader cannot be seen to be tacitly supporting the despicable practices with GEJ's utterances. Very simple.

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Bright2(m): 8:18am On Feb 14, 2015
Can you categorically tell me that some one who use your memory card with your consent & got it corrupt is the same thing with some one who stole your memory storage card without your consent?

English is English world wide,

My memory card got corrupted is different from my memory card got stolen! I don't need any lawyer to interpret that to me.

1 Share

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:

Am just typing and i then remember that i gat to book space 1st, that's why my i left my texts uncheck.

Olodo is a harsh word but i will endurance. Take care

lemme recommend this thread 4 u.

www.nairaland.com/2073378/funtime-lets-kill-english-anyway
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Ngwakwe: 8:29am On Feb 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

[b]Ngwakwe, I beg to disagree with your assertion. I wouldn't have responded to your post if the syntax/semantic ish never came up.

What is Synatx: In a layman's definition, it refers to a branch of linguistics which governs the rule of language language

What is Semantics: It's also a branch of linguistics which refers to meaning in respect to symbols, words, phrases and what they mean.

Having clarified these two branches of linguistics, it would therefore be right to say your inclusion of Syntax in the discourse is flawed since the utterance of the President does not beg for linguistic analysis.

Therefore, a thief in EVERY part of the world is as a result of corrupt/soiled/perverted upbringing/personal conviction. Hence, your assertion of where you come from is again not accepted.

That someone sins in Christendom is the same as committing an abomination before God. And that would imply that for you to do something abominable means that you have flouted (sinned or gone contrary to) the set rules of the land, which again makes the two the same.

In your quest to defend the President, it would also be right to say that the President lacks the will to communicate effectively. Hence, the infamous quote you're trying to defend is 'Pragmatically' and 'Stylistics' interpreted, rather than depend on other part of the text/discourse for meaning.

What then is Pragmatics: This is a branch of linguistics which studies how CONTEXTS contribute to meaning or how a language is used in a CONTEXT.

And Stylistics? This deals with the study of texts/speech/utterance in regard to their tonal style

The concept of communication in this regard is well established and one would not need to put bits and pieces together to understand what the President means. While we're trying to create further argument between bad and evil, please note that another infamous phrase of the President; "How much did Jim Nwobodo stole?" is also to further expatiate that the President is a man of corrupt values, morals and would still go on to defend this shameful claim of his at the international scene if given a chance. I spent 4 years studying the branches of linguistics and would gladly analyze every speech of the President to prove my claim.

Explain Proverb 6:16
There are six things which God hates;
yes, seven which are an abomination to him:

Mr President is 100% correct. It's only hate mongers blinded by absolute antagonism that can point at holes in his explanations in relation to the understanding of most people in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Sanchez01: 8:31am On Feb 14, 2015
Bright2:
Can you categorically tell me that some one who use your memory card with your consent & got it corrupt is the same thing with some one who stole your memory storage card without your consent?

English is English world wide,

My memory card got corrupted is different from my memory card got stolen! I don't need any lawyer to interpret that to me.
Wow! In your mind you've made a point undecided

Corrupt in the case of your memory card would mean your memory card has been damaged or has been altered unintentionally.

Corrupt in the case of a public official would mean perversion, compromising moral values, judgements/standard.

You memory card is corrupt (verb)

A man is corrupt (adjective)

I hope you understand now.

11 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Bright2(m): 8:39am On Feb 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

Wow! In your mind you've made a point undecided

Corrupt in the case of your memory card would mean your memory card has been damaged or has been altered unintentionally.

Corrupt in the case of a public official would mean perversion, compromising moral values, judgements/standard.

You memory card is corrupt (verb)

A man is corrupt (adjective)

I hope you understand now.

Corruption is corruption & stealing should be stealing.
Me & you did not compose the English dictionary so you can't tell me you know more than the composer who place those words differently in that dictionary.

You can turn white to black but please don't expect me to do the same or encourage that. Ole is ole.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Sanchez01: 8:43am On Feb 14, 2015
Explain Proverb 6:16
There are six things which God hates;
yes, seven which are an abomination to him:

Mr President is 100% correct. It's only hate mongers blinded by absolute antagonism that can point at holes in his explanations in relation to the understanding of most people in Nigeria

[b]Again, I say the problem is not far-fetched. The Bible was documented for our easy use because the Anglo-Saxon English was adopted. Anglo-Saxon English is what is today known as Old English and as almost everyone knows, the English language is dynamic. Years back, 'Night Vigil' was correct but today it is a regarded as a tautology - repetition, meaning the same thing.

Though some would have you believe that sin is sin, and all are the same, the bible would beg to differ. Though any kind of unrepentant sin can send one to hell, the bible speaks of one kind of sin that God referred to by a different name: It was called an Abomination.
There are some things which are said to be abominable to the Lord Prov. 6:16-19 The word “abominable” refers to something which is extremely despised. Therefore, there are some things which God hates extremely, while others can be tolerated.

Now tell me, according to the Nigerian Constitution, between stealing and corruption, which of them is tolerated by the law?
[/b]

10 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by menesheh(m): 8:48am On Feb 14, 2015
2undexy:

lemme recommend this thread 4 u.

www.nairaland.com/2073378/funtime-lets-kill-english-anyway

Why the recommendation.

is It ridicule or something undecided

Seems u are getting pretty mad.

Following you more rationally seems to be igniting more insult from you.

What makes you think you are more enlightened and can command english morethan me.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by abu12: 8:50am On Feb 14, 2015
CORRUPTION IS DEFINED AS A SITUATION WHEN TWQ UNMARRIED MAN ARE SLEEPING TOGETHER. BY PRESIDENT JONATHAN GOODLUCK

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by dBard: 8:59am On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:
Whats are they talking about, go to your Dictionary type corruption, text your answer here and check out Stealing too

Stealing is part of corruption but is not actually the direct meaning of corruption.

One important thing to note in his explanation is that Nobody actually said that he said "stealing is good".

The second lawyer was just contradicting himself..if the nomenclatures are different,wat makes them the same
Stealing is an aspect of corruption wen looked at broadly but it in itself is distinct.
Corruption in itself is too ambiguous a term to use in regard to most situations that is abound here.
Stealing is stealing and labelling it as such keeps it in focus.

We can be as partisan as we like but it shouldn't affect our reasoning.

The argument will never cease on this...they're both bad.. shikena.
and that is the bottom line

peace..

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by dBard: 9:04am On Feb 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

shuo....
dude..who make u vex like this
lol

2 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:

Why the recommendation.

is It ridicule or something undecided

Seems u are getting pretty mad.

Following you more rationally seems to be igniting more insult from you.

What makes you think you are more enlightened and can command english morethan me.

now u are talking ma nigga. Seems u finished school, na im u kon dey do lyk small pikin b4grin

And as for the recomended page, it's just to enlighten u more on ur broken english cos i know u go fit speak english like madgrin
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by focus7: 9:30am On Feb 14, 2015
The phd president is receiving lecture from the learned lawyers.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by tomber(m): 9:39am On Feb 14, 2015
dridowu:
This GEJ government will be remember for saying "stealing is not corruption"

No ! You're wrong, he wouldn't be remembered for what he didn't say. pls get the right quote. Most people didn't watch the chats neither did they bother to see the transcript.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by amakufrancis(m): 9:59am On Feb 14, 2015
2undexy:

mention some of the things u have benefited from...electricity? Water? Tared road? Guaranteed jobs? Or what
roads improved, Water now in various community, my brother and some of my cousins are working in Amnesty office and Oil companies too. All these happened in Gej administration, Guy abeg park for one side
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Sanchez01: 10:00am On Feb 14, 2015
dBard:

shuo....
dude..who make u vex like this
lol
grin grin
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by amakufrancis(m): 10:00am On Feb 14, 2015
2undexy:

and u have urs? I don't think so...better vote Buhari for change and be 'rest in peace'
abeg go sleep
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by amakufrancis(m): 10:01am On Feb 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

Funny! We've had this man preaching transformation with us for how many years He keeps preaching transformation when the only obvious thing being transformed is their local and foreign bank accounts. Transformation ko, transformer ni.
Lol, small minds
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 14, 2015
minister2015:
GEJ has finally legalized corruption, stealing is not corruption. This guy is a disgrace to his forebears! utterly corrupt. PDP: Poverty & Death Party, better still Poverty Development Party!
PVC: Pertinent-to Vote-out Cluelessness!!!

Guy.... cheesy
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Simitrendy: 10:41am On Feb 14, 2015
Abeg Help Me Yarn Am if a thief is caught stealing just #20 in Ojota he will be beaten to death and d people in my president cabinet are stealing more dan #20Billion and they are stull enjoyin themselves all i know is IMOLE(LIGHT) is greater than darkness

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by nagoma(m): 10:42am On Feb 14, 2015
When the chips are down

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by An0nimus: 10:42am On Feb 14, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Corruption is not only stealing, forging of certificate is corruption, lying under oath is also corruption. So stop fooling yaselves.
I'm 100% sure you didn't read the article.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by babsdeebabs(m): 10:43am On Feb 14, 2015
Stealing's a subset of corruption just as selling is to marketing! That's what Oga Jona needs to understand

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by nagoma(m): 10:43am On Feb 14, 2015
The Putrid Stench of corruption

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP Workers on Strike over non-payment of Three Months Salaries / Sunday Dare: Why FG Didn’t Shut Down Social Media During EndSARS Protests / Pandora Papers: Inside Dapo Abiodun's secret businesses & How He Broke The Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.