Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,901 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan (19741 Views)

Saraki Dozes Off In The Dock As Corruption Trial Takes Its Toll (Photo) / Rumble In The Jungle As Corruption Fights Back- The Vanguard / ''Wanted: Maximum Security For Mr. President As Corruption Fights Back'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by genearts(m): 11:31am On Feb 14, 2015
ayindejimmy:

I beg to defer a bit. the comment was not a direct quote of Justice Mustapha. the comment was in in reference to what the Judge told Gej. that most cases of corruption brought before him were stealing. Gej never quoted the judge saying ...'stealing is not corruption. ' Gej said that himself.
Be that as it may, how I now understand is comment is that corruption is as been seen as a mild form of stealing in Nigeria. so its better we say someone that stole is a thief rather than say is corrupt. cos saying he's corrupt will only make it seems less grieve.
well, Gej should have previously say...Not all corrupt is stealing. with that we would have known that not all cases of corruption is stealing.
but by saying. ..stealing is not corruption the interpretation it gave was ..not all cases of stealing is corruption. which is absolutely not true.
All stealing is corruption bit all corruption is not stealing. Gbam!

I think u hv said it all, anybody that reads ur post and stil wants to argue is simply not wise
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by ayindejimmy(m): 11:31am On Feb 14, 2015
Ngwakwe:
Some so-called intellectuals are becoming mentally redundant.

1. The comment was a direct quote by the President in reference to a speech made by the Chief Justice of the federation.

2. Where I come from, a thief and a corrupt person is not the same so also is it in many parts of Nigeria.

We assume that Abomination is higher degree of Sin hence the Abominable needs to be ostracised.

3. In communication (syntax and semantics), the understanding of the recipient is/should be the target of the speaker to avoid defeating the purpose of the information delivered.

Let's stop flogging the dead horse. There is no mis-communication in the explanation of the President rather what we have are bunch of hate mongers who not only show their stupidity in attacking everything the President represents as a manifestations of the absolute resentment and antagonism.

I beg to defer a bit. the comment was not a direct quote of Justice Mustapha. the comment was in reference to what the Judge told Gej. that most cases of corruption brought before him were stealing. Gej never quoted the judge saying ...'stealing is not corruption. ' Gej said that himself.
Be that as it may, how I now understand the comment is that corruption has been seen as a mild form of stealing in Nigeria. so its better we say someone that stole is a thief rather than say he's corrupt. cos saying he's corrupt will only make it seems less grieve.

well, Gej should have previously say...Not all corruption is stealing. with that we would have known that not all cases of corruption is stealing.
but by saying. ..stealing is not corruption the interpretation it gave was ..not all cases of stealing is corruption. which is absolutely not true.
All stealing is corruption but all corruption is not stealing. Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by biafranqueen: 11:33am On Feb 14, 2015
OAM4J:

He did not say say stealing is good but he belittled it by qualifying it as 'mere' stealing.

So all those stealing billions from inflated contracts, pension fund, petrol subsidy etc..are 'mere' thieves...no wonder he failed to prosecute any of them.

Yeye dey smell.
That is corruption you named and he is fighting that by organizing the way FG pays monies out to stop that. Example Ghost Workers saved us billions.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by babestella: 11:33am On Feb 14, 2015
What are all these rants about GEJ? Why can't you haters just free this man for Christ sake? Every time he makes a statement everyone looks for magnifying lenses to see where he made mistakes. Haba, why flog a dead horse. The man said he only quoted the Chief Justice of Nigeria and everyone is here ranting. Ok, stealing is corruption. Can we have some sanity in the house?

2 Likes

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Akinsz: 11:34am On Feb 14, 2015
If you want poverty to be reloading in your life, pls vote PDP Poverty Development Party. But if want your life to be progressive, vote APC All Progressive Congress.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by wwwkaycom(m): 11:34am On Feb 14, 2015
minister2015:
GEJ has finally legalized corruption, stealing is not corruption. This guy is a disgrace to his forebears! utterly corrupt. PDP: Poverty & Death Party, better still Poverty Development Party!
PVC: Pertinent-to Vote-out Cluelessness!!!
Yesooo, PVC=Power to Vote for Change
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 14, 2015
Regiblinkz:
I wonder what Nigerian youths gain from insulting their elders.. Can't you make your point without insults?

since stealing is not corruption then my words are neither insults nor curses. QED!
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by TI1919(m): 11:35am On Feb 14, 2015
May God help us all, and I pray that God will keep us together even beyond this election that await us. My vote and that of my siblings goes to GEJ at the end whoever God choose will be my President but I can't vote for GMB no matter what the situation is...
blackandbold:

I bet all u do is stay in market listening to rumour mongers,ffk and okupke rather than reading and listening to credible news stations....cos at this stage I still don not expect people who cam reason without prejudice to type ur this ur post as regards forgery in which various bodies and ministry in charge of conducting o levels exams have categorically comfirmed the credibility
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by bareal(m): 11:39am On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:
Whats are they talking about, go to your Dictionary type corruption, paste your answer here and check out Stealing too

Stealing is part of corruption but is not actually the direct meaning of corruption.

One important thing to note in his exexplanation is that Nobody actually said that he said "stealing is good".

But, he particularly referred to stealing as 'mere stealing'. what does that explain?
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by OAM4J: 11:39am On Feb 14, 2015
mycar:
Hatred is very bad and kills body and soul faster than HBP and rest of other sin, there are many other faults we can find in the present administration but issue of stealing/ corruption. Mr. President says that corruption should not be used to cover up a case of stealing.

A person that steals should be called a thief as that carries more weight than using the word corruption. Using the word corruption for stealing makes it cumbersome for an ordinary man in the street to understand.

I hope you guys can still redeem your souls as you all know that nobody comes to this world and stays everlasting. Vanity upon vanity, all is vanity. Please criticise constructively and with an open mind too.

The change we want begins with you and me.

No bro. In Nigeria corruption carries more weight than stealing. We don't even call robbers thieves.

Those stealing billions from our commonwealth with those covering them including Mr President are not mere thieves...they are corrupt, very very corrupt, and should be taken out of government,tried and jailed.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by babestella: 11:41am On Feb 14, 2015
Your pastor or imam will not steal your smartphone even when it slips from your pocket unknowingly while in his office and when he finds it he surely will keep it for you, but on the other way round he could be corrupt in his judgement, in favouring some people based on religion and tribe which is nepotism. In such cases do you call him a thief? Obviously NO, but you can rightly say he is corrupt.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by centjamie(m): 11:41am On Feb 14, 2015
2undexy:

oga, u b olodo..beta go back to primary school and start from the scrath

Explain hw pls
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by pembisco(m): 11:43am On Feb 14, 2015
I need to know something. are these lawyers better than the former chief justice of the federation from whom gej quoted that statement? if they are how come they are not even judges of area courts?
Nonsense
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Aystarz: 11:47am On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:

Why the recommendation.

is It ridicule or something undecided

Seems u are getting pretty mad.

Following you more rationally seems to be igniting more insult from you.

What makes you think you are more enlightened and can command english morethan me.

.... You are more enlightened and can command English more than ''ME''??

Ermm, Sir English Commander, didn't they teach you PRONOUN CASE at school??
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by menesheh(m): 11:48am On Feb 14, 2015
grin
Aystarz:

.... You are more enlightened and can command English more than Me??

Ermm, Sir English Commander, didn't they teach you PRONOUN CASE at school??
grin
they did
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by AroOkigbo(m): 11:50am On Feb 14, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Corruption is not only stealing, forging of certificate is corruption, lying under oath is also corruption. So stop fooling yaselves.
Even when the President had made him self clear...said he was quoted out of context.
Some people will not like this comment of yours.
To such people, he gave an instance...
If someone steals in your neighbourhood
do you shout corruption! corruption!!
or
ole! ole!!?
#in summary, let's call a spade a spade#
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by shiningshina(m): 11:50am On Feb 14, 2015
GEJ and his cluelessness sha! How can a sane man state that looting public treasuries is not an act of corruptuin!?! Nawa ooo. I thought he had stopped drinking ogogoro ni?!
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by chizitelu16: 11:51am On Feb 14, 2015
we have very few individuals that are not corrupt. it takes GOD's intervention to end this. some ppl talk here bc they hv nt had opportunity of being in power or managng public resources. In as much as GEJ is corrupt, APC IS WORST. BUHARI Cnt fight corruption wt who do u knw credentials(quota system). we need GOD and not APC simple

1 Like

Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Aystarz: 11:54am On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:
grin grin
they did
I doubt that very much.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by wazobiaN9(m): 11:59am On Feb 14, 2015
[quote author=menesheh post=30714539]Whats are they talking about, go to your Dictionary type corruption, paste your answer here and check out Stealing too

Stealing is part of corruption but is not actually the direct meaning of corruption.

One important thing to note in his exexplanation is that Nobody actually said that he said "stealing is good". [?quote]

Quoting the cluesless, "they call mere stealing corruption"..
coming from the leader of an ultra corrupt society, what would you deduce??!!

We have a square peg in a round hole wt GEJ.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by wazobiaN9(m): 12:00pm On Feb 14, 2015
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by wazobiaN9(m): 12:01pm On Feb 14, 2015
menesheh:
Whats are they talking about, go to your Dictionary type corruption, paste your answer here and check out Stealing too

One important thing to note in his exexplanation is that Nobody actually said that he said "stealing is good".

Quoting the cluesless, "they call mere stealing corruption"..
coming from the leader of an ultra corrupt society, what would you deduce??!!

We have a square peg in a round hole wt GEJ.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by redcliff: 12:02pm On Feb 14, 2015
dre11:

Stealing is a subset of corruption...... Because corruption is a universal set that encompass all (dishonesty, unscrupulousness, double-dealing, fraud, fraudulence, misconduct, crime, criminality, wrongdoing; bribery, venality, extortion, profiteering, payola; informalgraft, stealing, grift, crookedness, sleaze)

So trying to separate the two is just like trying to cover for ones goof at a point in time

Stealing in fact is corruption because, if you are a thief, you must lie, you must be dishonest and you must be doing some really not so nice things that require you to cover up your act .. All in all, its corruption.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by menesheh(m): 12:03pm On Feb 14, 2015
Aystarz:

I doubt that very much.

i play pretty much in school then grin
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by aksule(m): 12:06pm On Feb 14, 2015
Politics apart is stealing corruption. If they are all the same why then do we have Ribadu of EFCC. Lawyers can tell you one thing today and tomorrow when it suits them will tell you different thing still on the same thing. Forget about all these lawyers and the so called social critics that danced to the tune of events as it suit the occasion turning events upside down that do not stand the test of time
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by lanrock(m): 12:07pm On Feb 14, 2015
I think nigerians to decide btw a corrupt president and a formal military dictator.
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by skydancer: 12:12pm On Feb 14, 2015
a lawyer and human rights activist, Prof. Itse Sagay, said in a telephone conversation with Saturday PUNCH that there was no technical difference between the two acts and that persons involved in either should be made to face the wrath of the law.
So Prof. Sagay called Punch or Punch called all these lawyers to get media attention? Did the president suggest an offender should not face the full wrath of the law in any way? Even the false accusation about Jim Nwobodo being jailed by Buhari who is known to have jailed countless people carelessly and 'lawfully' creating new laws as he wished to jail whoever he wishes rightly, is it wrong to criticize that? Does being a smart dictator make you less corrupt?

“Which of them is allowed in our law whether he calls them in different names? They are both punishable under our penal laws. Stealing is even worse than corruption. Both of them carry a legal element of deliberately taking what does not belong to someone with the intent of depriving the taxpayers.”
I thought you said they're the same and one object? Why then does it have two constitutional interpretations Sir Fred?
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by orobs93(m): 12:17pm On Feb 14, 2015
So if dey are the same why have different spellings u mean d dictionary has no sense?
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Akinz0126(m): 12:21pm On Feb 14, 2015
amakufrancis:
guy you like it or not, Gej will win coming march

We need TRANSFORMATION
. So the transformation that has taken place in Nigeria is not enough abi?Electricity transformation,Educational transformation,Corruption transformation,Health sector too is transformed already Thanks for the indefinite strike embarked upon by our hospitals.As if that is not enough, Poverty also experienced transformation During Jonah administration high rate of unemployment is another transformation the worst of it all,is terrorism chai Jonah you never taya?abeg enough of all the transformation already Jonah start assembling your bags and baggages.Enough of all the holistic transformation ojare...
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by isan(m): 12:23pm On Feb 14, 2015
Nigeria my countryundecided A country where d president legalised stealing and corruption... Hmmmmmm nigeria need deliverance
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by BodyKiss(m): 12:25pm On Feb 14, 2015
teufelein:

..of course you'll not comprehend the nuanced differentiated definitions. i'll not blame you just as i never blame any creature from the zoo nigeria. you don't have what it takes to understand and i have no time to engage in circuitous argumentation with a dark micrencephalous monkey from a zoo nigeria, have a nice day.

You're far from being sane, more of a racist I should say. No sane person will waste his/her precious time writing any long piece just to counter the sh1t you spewed just to prove that stealing is not corruption. I only needed one word to summary the "Nonsense" you wrote.

Please stop making your stup1d1ty a public affair. Thank you
Re: Stealing Same As Corruption, Lawyers Tell Jonathan by Johnsinia(m): 12:33pm On Feb 14, 2015
PassingShot:

All you have written here cannot justify a president saying "... mere stealing Nigerians say is corruption" Neither does it make any sense for a president tacitly supporting stealing by asking dumbly "How much did Nwobodo stole that Buhari jailed him?" as if the amount involved is what determines the graveness of the act.

Again, what sense is there in pardoning Alamaesuegha and Bode George who were convicted for stealing and corruption.

GEJ is corrupt and a thief. Simple as ABC.
swear u ve never stole b4 and corrupt as rotten as maggot and see how thunder will strike u b4 night fall.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Frozen Account: Ozekhome Kicks, Says Fayose Paid Me N75m As Legal Fees / Ango Abdullahi: Buhari’s Major Problem Is Incompetent And Selfish Lieutenants / Fashola Rescues Three Kids From Crash Site- Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.