Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,561 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition (24083 Views)

Poll: Should Fashola Be Given A Part On The Back For Oshodi Market Demolition?

Yes: 78% (160 votes)
No: 11% (24 votes)
Indifferent: 9% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Bunker, Arms Discovered At Demolished Oshodi Market Shops / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) / The Aesthetics And Politics Of Oshodi, Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by tylergem: 12:46am On Jan 07, 2009
Good work Gov fashola, dat ishodi has become a den for miscrants and robbers,
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by osisi3(f): 12:53am On Jan 07, 2009
However, the traders, who looked dumbfounded, are counting their losses.

One of them, Samuel Ogundare, who watched what used to be his shop razed, lamented that shops are out of the reach of an average trader.

"I have a wife and children at home, where do they want us to earn our living? Shops are expensive, government should stop contracting building of shops to operators whose main objective is to make profits at the expense of the people," he appealed.

Also, Babaloja Ifesowapo Textile Dealers Market Association, Lateef Tajudeen, appealed to the government to have a rethink.

"I was caught off guard because there was no prior notice before today. I was called at home and I just have to rush here. We appeal to the government to help us since the MaCarthy /Banjoko where I belong is not on the main road

No matter what we all feel about this move,we must not forget that these people are humans just like us.
They are people's husbands and fathers who are expected to feed their family and put a roof over their heads.
I'm all for beautifying Lagos but what use is it if we end up with thousands of homeless families including women and children?
An attempt would have been made to resettle these people.
This is just so inhumane
make una begin fortify una security for Lagos.
more armed robbers are coming your way
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by JJYOU: 12:58am On Jan 07, 2009
*osisi*:

No matter what we all feel about this move,we must not forget that these people are humans just like us.
They are people's husbands and fathers who are expected to feed their family and put a roof over their heads.
I'm all for beautifying Lagos but what use is it if we end up with thousands of homeless families including women and children?
An attempt would have been made to resettle these people.
This is just so inhumane
trust naija people to love injustice like this
tylergem:

Good work Gov fashola, that ishodi has become a den for miscrants and robbers,
what of abuja and broad street?
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by OBVIOUS(m): 12:59am On Jan 07, 2009
The sad part is until you create alternatives, moves like this are just a waste of time. Another Oshodi market will be created.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by damola1: 1:00am On Jan 07, 2009
Frankly speaking, in as much as what Fashola is doing is commendable, I think it's a waste of Lagos state resources.

Facts:

He's planting flowers everywhere, making everywhere 'beautiful'
He's destroying all markets for renewal,
He's collecting taxes up and down.

But how the hell does this connect to the issues facing Nigeria.

Issues like: Electricity, and corruption.

He only created another means for policemen or KAI people to collect bribe from Okada riders.
No one needs to teach you to beautify your environment, go and look at VGC, they have eaten well, thats why they do it, same thing applies to America and Uk, only those that eat well, beautiful the environment, and mark my words, Tinubu tried that stuff, at least in Ikeja as I recalled, after some time the previous habitants destroyed it, it's going to happen again. Mark those words, all these flowers will be gone.

Why is he not tackling corrupt officials, even in local govt. why tackling, poor nigerians are only became who they became because of these ruthless and corrupt officials.

I am sure all these games is just another means to take more from govt. pocket,
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Douglasdale(m): 1:11am On Jan 07, 2009
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition. Gov. Fashola is the best gov. in 9ja. The metro line which is his plans for this year wil be built on the same Oshodi axis. This is in line wit his mega city plans for dis year. Gov fash. is a dynamic young man who knows the problems of Lagos and knows how to tackle them. Not some asylum seeking Nigerians who say all sorts of trash without having there facts right. How can u justify trading on an express way. What has fashola got to do wit electricity, aint it the job of the federal gov to give electricity. Or is he the Efcc or Icpc. Get ur facts right.@damola
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by JJYOU: 1:14am On Jan 07, 2009
OBVIOUS:

The sad part is until you create alternatives, moves like this are just a waste of time. Another Oshodi market will be created.
why is breaking laws easy for nigerians?  why must markets be every where?  go to benin  it is like everywhere is market now.  i wish they get a governor like this there too.

damola1:

Frankly speaking, in as much as what Fashola is doing is commendable, I think it's a waste of Lagos state resources.

Facts:

He only created another means for policemen or KAI people to collect bribe from Okada riders.
No one needs to teach you to beautify your environment, go and look at VGC, they have eaten well, thats why they do it, same thing applies to America and Uk, only those that eat well, beautiful the environment, and mark my words, Tinubu tried that stuff, at least in Ikeja as I recalled, after some time the previous habitants destroyed it, it's going to happen again. Mark those words, all these flowers will be gone.
mmmmmmmmmmm so lawless reign supreme abi
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by earTHMama: 1:18am On Jan 07, 2009
I have lived in Lagos all my life,only leave for vacation and whn i come back,it is places like Oshodi that makes me want to run back.Whatever your point is,the demolition is a good exercise,no matter whose oxen is gored.

There is nothing good about it . You are singing this song because none of your relatives were affected. Fashola just increased the population of criminals in lagos by about 3000. For an ecosystem to balance, there must be a balance and if that balance should be achieved, there has to be a plan and not just chasing them out of the source of their daily bread over night.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by damola1: 1:18am On Jan 07, 2009
No, lawlessness shouldn't be the issue.

But listen to me, the ball should start from his table there, what ribadu did can never be forgotten, he could has well have picked on all the corrupt Nigerians that run into millions, but starting with the IG and governors, he did not even need to pick on the Nigerians, most of them ran away, I am sure a lot of Yahoo boys stopped just because they saw he meant business.

Let all this rubbish stop, 2years don pass oh,  Let him tackle issues that's sustainable even after he's left. Not issues of the masses that will only continue to re-occur.

He's wasting our money!!!!
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by OBVIOUS(m): 1:23am On Jan 07, 2009
Effective policies will take Nigeria far. damola1 you have raised very good points and I don't think that you should waste the time trying to prove them.

It has to be a top bottom approach and not just an attack on poor people just because they're poor.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by OBVIOUS(m): 1:24am On Jan 07, 2009
why is breaking laws easy for nigerians?

Breaking laws is MUCH EASIER IF U'RE A  Nigerian POLITICIAN and not a OSHODI market seller.

little dog Ribadu caught the end of the rod.  cry
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by damola1: 1:26am On Jan 07, 2009
@ Douglasdale,

Well, corruption is more worse that electricity, and it's just an example.

Do you guys know the interesting thing, Go to Ikeja B/stop and see how many people still sell recharge cards or cds and dvds on the road. THe same set of people even after KAI did all their raiding.

So, a few weeks I was discussing with one of the traders, and he just said, the KAI are crooks, they carry all of us, collect N15,000 from us, then they leave us again.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by damola1: 1:28am On Jan 07, 2009
@ obvious.

I think I will follow your advise, I will just stop at that, stop wasting time.

It's just an emotional thing.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Gayigaskia(m): 1:46am On Jan 07, 2009
DAmola is wright, people want government to be there for them but don't want to respect the law. u can't have it both ways , to make this country straight people have to obey orders or else the government make them do that; that's how it is done in the whole developing world. U know it is easy to sit down and keep insulting the leaders even though many of u guys aren't doing anything to make a difference in the development of this country.
things like:
using the trash can
not cheating in school
not stealing from PHCN
reporting 419 guys
may, many things it is a civic duty to do those things.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Douglasdale(m): 1:48am On Jan 07, 2009
Which of ur money is he wasting. Do u know d numba of pips in lagos state. Can u imagine the numba of projects he is embarking on. Have u being to cele bus stop and see the bridge thats bin built, what abt apapa, can u imagine the numba of roads bin constructed in apapa, eric moore, etc. What abt the Brt system. The 8 lanes badagry exp way, the metro line rail system, the major water works bin built in my area. The sanitization of the polity. The Psp refuse collectors, the laying of the astro turf in the teslim balogun stadium. I cud go on and on and on, this projects cant be imagined in other states in 9ja, but u sit an critize the gov. What has d fed. Gov done to beta ur life, everybody cant be rich, corruption is in our blood and wil always be. But encourage some1 when he does something rit.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by OBVIOUS(m): 1:49am On Jan 07, 2009
@ Gayigaskia

Sustainable Change is a two way streak.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by OBVIOUS(m): 1:51am On Jan 07, 2009
I don't think that many Nairalanders understand government.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by damola1: 1:56am On Jan 07, 2009
well, he's wasting MY MONEY. And I don't care about whether 10 B people added their own, he's wasting my own money.

Well, I haven't been to cele b.stop nor apapa, but I have been in Ikeja, and I have seen what he did with computer village, I have seen the grasses he planted for the goats and the beautiful night light he did, wow, those lights are one thing I like so far, when I drive even at 4am, I just switch off my car lights. But it's not about cele bridge, or lights or even computer village.

It's about a public servant, a state government with professors and people with sense making right decisions at every step. And how hard is it to make good decisions in an environment with so many problems.

Excuse me sir, if you wake up tomorrow, and you slapped your wife for a silly reason, will anyone judge you because of the way you have cared for those cheeks all these years.

The point is, at this stage of our lives, he cannot continue to joke with us. He's wasting our resources!, MY resources!
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Douglasdale(m): 2:19am On Jan 07, 2009
Uve not bin anywhere and uve not sin anything and u say nothing works in lagos, aint that odd. since ur entire world revolves around Ikeja, don't u think u are in no position to say what uve just said, Isnt ur argument myopic. Fashola is and wil always be the best thing that has happened to Lagos State apart from perhaps Jakande. Al primary and secondary school are being renovated. Drive around Lagos and see for yourself, instead of seating in ur living room and pointing fingers. I am pretty sure u have not paid ur taxes and u claim ur money is wasting. Who dash MONKEY bananna, Go places and see. U sound like one of those disgruntled PDP members, PDP wil never rule Lagos. Go to Oshodi and see how an express way is supposed to look like.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by hbrednic: 2:27am On Jan 07, 2009
thank GOD for fashola,there is hope for lagoshians now.
the city has long been crying for help.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Kobojunkie: 2:29am On Jan 07, 2009
@Kay_pumpin, I simply asked because the statements you made didn’t really sound like what I would expect from someone, anyone, who has lived in Lagos for at least a year. I guess we are online and anyone can claim to have lived in Lagos for any number of years. Oh well!!
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by kosovo(m): 2:33am On Jan 07, 2009
lord have mercy on a country boy
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by bronxdog: 2:44am On Jan 07, 2009
damola1:

well, he's wasting MY MONEY. And I don't care about whether 10 B people added their own, he's wasting my own money.

Well, I haven't been to cele b.stop nor apapa, but I have been in Ikeja, and I have seen what he did with computer village, I have seen the grasses he planted for the goats and the beautiful night light he did, wow, those lights are one thing I like so far, when I drive even at 4am, I just switch off my car lights. But it's not about cele bridge, or lights or even computer village.

It's about a public servant, a state government with professors and people with sense making right decisions at every step. And how hard is it to make good decisions in an environment with so many problems.

Excuse me sir, if you wake up tomorrow, and you slapped your wife for a silly reason, will anyone judge you because of the way you have cared for those cheeks all these years.

The point is, at this stage of our lives, he cannot continue to joke with us. He's wasting our resources!, MY resources!

rantings of a meaningless tout. your money? do you pay tax? what your idea of governance is is very worrying to me, you want a government that will only face specific ills in the society and close his eyes on other aspects that only needs attention, is that how to govern? wht are you crying about?
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by praxx(m): 5:00am On Jan 07, 2009
I think a picture of oshodi before and after the demolition would have helped those of us who do not stay around. however, judging by the stories i have heard about lagos and oshodi in particular, then Fashola is sure doing a good job, but he should also provide an alternative means for tha affected ones
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by ralphyades: 5:26am On Jan 07, 2009
lagos is taking a whole new look. lets be patient,lagos will soon be a new york.
guys please if u hav any scientific discussions we invite u to www.sciencetimes.com.ng just click on forum to post your tots about science in Nigeria.
thanks.

Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by sunbat(m): 6:59am On Jan 07, 2009
Hun- un, I hope our Governor ready to feed all this traders
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 07, 2009
damola1:

Facts:

Why is he not tackling corrupt officials, even in local govt. why tackling, poor nigerians are only became who they became because of these ruthless and corrupt officials.

I am sure all these games is just another means to take more from govt. pocket,

I pity this nation if people like you end up in govt because you have no clue as to what is going on. Are you a graduate? Shame on you.
How many times do i need to tell people on here that ELECTRICITY is a F!UCKING federal issue. Until it is fully deregulated, there is nothing any state govt in the federation can do. For now, any independ power station still has to supply the National Grid before it gets redistributed. If States had full autonomy over power, then you can make that excuse.

Your comment on flowers makes me laugh. So you'd rather have lagos looking like the dump it was several years ago. You are an idiot. Go onto forums for expats living in lagos and you will see how they are all happy about how lagos looks now. A beautiful city attracts tourists and foreign investors which leads to investments and added revenue for the state. Do you expect the state to depend on the paltry sum from the FG?

With regards to VGC, ok you're still a fool. You don't need to be rich to be conscious of your environment. Lagos needs a strong hand to instill these qualities in its populace.
Were you born during IDIAGBON's time?
All your noise about continuity is unwarranted. Fashola is simply continuing from where Tinubu stopped. Times have changed. THis is a democracy. There is no going back. Lagos will keep getting better.

I agree corruption has to be tackled. This will not happen in a day. Nigerians took over 40yrs to become this bad. It will take time for corruption to be wiped out. 90% of the people on here are corrupt. If you've never bribed a policeman/govt official, let me see ur hands up!

There are sacrifices that need to be made in order to achieve a mega city. I'm not saying the poor should suffer but hey, the market on its own was illegal from start anyway.
Lagosians are smart and hardworking. I'm sure there are alternatives being worked out for them.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Jascobee: 7:35am On Jan 07, 2009
@A-Town,
please for God sake,why must you rain abuses on somebody,call pple IDIOTS,FOOLS and all sorts of names before u make ur points known?HABA,it aint the best.

The demolition has got its very good sides but the question to ask is that,IS IT SUSTAINABLE?WOULDN'T THEY RESURFACE AFTER A WHILE?
Also,most of these traders normally pay dues to Oshodi L.G.A.The issue is that the Govt needed to have at least built a low cost market stalls,relocate these people before destroying their means of livelihood.Remember most of these people have children and families they are sponsoring.

Most of you praising this move came from poor families where ur parents struggled and sold petty things in Oshodi before u could become somebody.Now that u are wearing ties and suits and work in a bank,u have suddenly forgotten how it was to be feeded with rubber SPOONS.

I believe FASHOLA is doing well but at least he should be a little bit humanitarian because these people wont go back to the village,they would simply resort to somethg else.That will have another effect on the state.
GOD DEY OOO
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by codibei: 8:13am On Jan 07, 2009
It really unfortuate for those that was affected because this can cost many poeple their life.But then i think the Govt has a better plan for the state.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 07, 2009
i'm all for the demolition, but fashola really needs to build replacements and quickly too! we're talking livelihoods here, market taxes for him, and availability of goods for the masses. Look at Tejuosho! we're still waiting for them to finish reconstruction after 2 years, but the cele bridge will soon be completed. it can certainly be argued that he isn't placing much priority on alternatives to a lifestyle people are used to. jos market (before they burnt it down) for example was a multi-storey shopping complex, bigger than the old tejuosho market building. a temporary solution would be erecting flea markets in designated areas, but he's gotta allocate it first, no?

by the way
Oshodi!!! Wow!! shocked shocked What a view! Cool! cheesy cheesy
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by abayomi23(f): 8:56am On Jan 07, 2009
We Nigerians are anemical to changes. Change remains the only path to meaningful development. Until we accept change, we cannot not have meaningful develpment. lets embrace flea marlket system like in other countiires.
Re: Pictures Of Oshodi Market Demolition by tosinaded(m): 9:08am On Jan 07, 2009
to get gold, it has to be heated really hard!!!

to get a mega city

- houses will be demolished
- people will be sacked
- people will die
- people are forced to pay taxes
- people will get jailed
and so on!!!!

when we get the mega city
- problems are solved
- electricity
- water
- good education
- good roads
all i n all basic social infrastruture!!!!!

its only sad that sum people have to pay the price to get a better Nigeria!!!
but its all for the better of the country!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Not Your Conquered Territory, Ohanaeze Tells Northern Leaders / Theresa May Arrives In Nigeria / Nigerian Military Jet Crashes In Niger Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.