Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,102 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Is Thanksgiving Biblical? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Thanksgiving Biblical? (6645 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Is Thanksgiving Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by realpastor: 7:37pm On May 31, 2009
pilgrim,tithing is under the old law,so Jesus never adviced anyone to give tithe.we are under the new law.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 7:52pm On May 31, 2009
segyemaro:

pilgrim,i am still waiting for your respond to this.

@segyemaro, I did - read it here. Enjoy your Sunday, and more blessings the week ahead. cheesy
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 8:03pm On May 31, 2009
@realpastor,
realpastor:

pilgrim,tithing is under the old law,so Jesus never adviced anyone to give tithe.we are under the new law.

Okay, that's your view - we've been through the same complaint and shown that is merely an excuse which misses the essence. First, it is wrong to say that Jesus never 'advised' anyone to give tithes - for He actually did (Matthew 23:23).

Second, there is not a single text in the entire Bible that specifically condemns tithing - not one. Men may make all sorts of excuses to find a verse that does so, but they've not been able to do so. Those who try to hang it on Hebrews 7:18 are not able to tell you why they think the Bible teaches that tithes are 'weak and unprofitable', for the Bible does not teach such a thing anywhere.

Third, the argument that tithe is 'under the old Law' does not mean that every mention of tithes was under the Law. If that is how you argue, then please abandon every other thing that is under the old Law as well, such as -
~ loving God and neighbour
~ Christian marriage
~ women's role in the Church
. . . and so many things that Christians practise which are also under the old Law. You cannot pick and select in this matter - condemn tithing simply because of "old Law", then do the same thing with the many Christian things that are directly derived from 'under the old Law'. Can you do that? If not, why not?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 8:19pm On May 31, 2009
Where does the 10% of Tithing come in?

pilgrim we will look at the requirement of tithing under the Old Law and giving as we have means under the New Law.

NASB Deuteronomy 14:22 “You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year.

NASB Leviticus 27:30 ‘Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s; it is holy to the Lord.

NASB 2 Chronicles 31:5 As soon as the order spread, the sons of Israel provided in abundance the first fruits of grain, new wine, oil, honey and of all the produce of the field; and they brought in abundantly the tithe of all.

6 The sons of Israel and Judah who lived in the cities of Judah also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of sacred gifts which were consecrated to the Lord their God, and placed them in heaps.

The command to tithe was a command given to the Children of Israel (the Jewish people) of the Old Testament. This was part of the Old Law and we are no longer under the Old Law. From the above verses we can see that they were required to tithe (give 10 percent) of everything they had. They gave 10 percent of their money, their crops that they grew, their animal, their land, everything they had.

In 2nd Corinthians we are given new instructions on giving. NASB 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

We are now commanded to give as we purpose in our heart and to give on the first day of the week.

The church has to have money to operate. There are certain things that the church must buy and pay for and the church can only do this by funds given to the church for this purpose by the members of the church. The purpose of giving is not so that God will let us live closer to His way, the purpose is so the church can meet it financial needs.

We are given a command to give as we purpose in our heart on the first day of the week (Sunday), but no other time are we commanded to give to the church.

NASB 1st Corinthians 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also.

2 On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

Look at verse 1, “Now concerning the collection for the saints, ” and verse 2 “On the first day of every week each one of you is put aside and save, ”

NASB 2nd Corinthians 9:6 Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;

Look at 2nd Corinthians 9, verse 7 “Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”

Here God is telling us to set aside an amount that we have purposed in our heart to give, we are not given under compulsion, but we are giving because we want to give to further the work of the church and to meet the needs to the local church. This does not mean that we have to give to the point that we cannot meet our financial responsibilities, but I fully believe that if we put God first then we can meet all of our responsibilities. God expect us to give ourselves to His service as well as our money. Some people think that just by giving their money that they have fulfilled all that God ask, but in 2nd Corinthians 8:1-5 we read that the people of Corinth gave of themselves first and we must do the same.

NASB 2 Corinthians 8:1 Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the grace of God which has been given in the churches of Macedonia,

2 that in a great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality.

3 For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord,

4 begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints,

5 and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 10:51pm On May 31, 2009
@segyemaro,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views in a very calm manner - I deeply appreciate it. However, I agree with some of the things you shared, but not quite a great many - and here's the reason:

segyemaro:

Where does the 10% of Tithing come in?

pilgrim we will look at the requirement of tithing under the Old Law and giving as we have means under the New Law.

Lol, I looked at what you posted from the Law; but even so, is it only in the Law you find tithes? The thing is that many people start out from the Law, then argue away endlessly from the Law, and see nothing else apart from the Law. Dear sir, tithing did not originate from the Law, and one cannot be treating it as if it was only in the Law that we find it discussed.

This is why everything else you said simply misses the whole issue (at least, in my observation). That said, I'm not going to fault you deliberately, but would respect your own views as that is what appeals to you.

The few other things that I should comment on are:

segyemaro:

The command to tithe was a command given to the Children of Israel (the Jewish people) of the Old Testament. This was part of the Old Law and we are no longer under the Old Law. From the above verses we can see that they were required to tithe (give 10 percent) of everything they had. They gave 10 percent of their money, their crops that they grew, their animal, their land, everything they had.

I don't know if they gave 10% of 'everything' they had or of their land; nor do I know if it was required of them to give 10% of their 'money'. I do know for certain, however, that Jews today give just between 10% and 20% of their income (that is, financially) because they understand the essence of the Law.

Second, when you said "we" are "no longer" under the Law, my answer is that you were never under the Law in the first place. The Law was given to the Jews, not to Gentiles - so, claiming that "we" are no longer under the Law is mixing things up, for we were not Jews in the first instance.

However, even though we're Gentiles, the Law still instructs us on many things - not in a legalistic manner, but rather in its principles. For all that, those of us who choose to tithe are doing so, not because we feel we're Jews under the Law, but rather because we understand its principles in precisely the way that many things from the Law also address practical Christian living. This is why we agree with anti-tithers who argue that Biblical tithes were not a "strict 10%", and for that reason we know that one could tithe just as they have determined in their own hearts.

segyemaro:

We are given a command to give as we purpose in our heart on the first day of the week (Sunday), but no other time are we commanded to give to the church.

No other time, you said? Well, that is if you're looking at only 1 Corinthians 16:1-2; but we understand that there are other occasions when giving is encouraged in the NT. What about 1 Corinthians 9:13-14 - did you consider that as well? Giving doesn't have to be a 'Sunday' matter; we could give at other times and occasions/purposes as well.

segyemaro:

Look at 2nd Corinthians 9, verse 7 “Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”

Here God is telling us to set aside an amount that we have purposed in our heart to give, we are not given under compulsion, but we are giving because we want to give to further the work of the church and to meet the needs to the local church. This does not mean that we have to give to the point that we cannot meet our financial responsibilities, but I fully believe that if we put God first then we can meet all of our responsibilities. God expect us to give ourselves to His service as well as our money. Some people think that just by giving their money that they have fulfilled all that God ask, but in 2nd Corinthians 8:1-5 we read that the people of Corinth gave of themselves first and we must do the same.

That's great, thank you. Perhaps I can safely say that a good number of people who tithe or give in other ways (as they are able) have done that same thing. I don't know all of them, and certainly can' speak for all; but I can understand from experience that those who commit themselves to tithing cheerfully are people who have given themselves to God and to the ministers who labour among them. Notice it is a double commitment in 2 Corinthians 8:5 (NASB) --

'and this, not as we had expected,
               but they first gave themselves to the Lord
               and to us by the will of God'

Perhaps when we commit ourselves to God and to those who truly labour in ministry, we shall understand in practical terms the meaning of that verse.

God bless you.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 12:14pm On Jun 01, 2009
Thanks for your very kind comments, I appreciate them. In reference to Matt 23:23 and Luke 11:42 concerning tithes. Remember that Jesus was born and lived under the Old Law (The Jewish Law). The New Law did not come into effect until after His death and resurrections on the day of Pentecost when the church was established. (Acts 1 and 2). We must always look at who is being talked too when we study the Bible so that we can apply what is said to the correct period of time. In Luke 11:37-44, Jesus is talking to the Pharisee's and He (Jesus) said in verse 42, "But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These things you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Here Jesus is rebuking the Pharisee's for not following God in all things that they had been commanded to do. The commandment to tithe was under the Old Law and Jesus was telling the Pharisee's that they had tithed, but that they had failed to do others things that was also required by God. This was not a commandment for us to tithe, it was only making reference to what the Pharisee's had been commanded to do, Jesus was using this as an illustration of someone doing part of what was right but not doing all things.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by topeokunol: 12:40pm On Jun 01, 2009
segyemaro:

Thanks for your very kind comments, I appreciate them. In reference to Matt 23:23 and Luke 11:42 concerning tithes. Remember that Jesus was born and lived under the Old Law (The Jewish Law). The New Law did not come into effect until after His death and resurrections on the day of Pentecost when the church was established. (Acts 1 and 2). We must always look at who is being talked too when we study the Bible so that we can apply what is said to the correct period of time. In Luke 11:37-44, Jesus is talking to the Pharisee's and He (Jesus) said in verse 42, "But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These things you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Here Jesus is rebuking the Pharisee's for not following God in all things that they had been commanded to do. The commandment to tithe was under the Old Law and Jesus was telling the Pharisee's that they had tithed, but that they had failed to do others things that was also required by God. This was not a commandment for us to tithe, it was only making reference to what the Pharisee's had been commanded to do, Jesus was using this as an illustration of someone doing part of what was right but not doing all things.

[/quote i appreciates your both analysis, and its exactly what my pastor said,thats why we dont pay tithe in our church.we dont even collect offering during mid-week service offerings only on sundays only,so why are you fighting for the support of tithing pilgrim?is either you are a pastors wife or you are benefiting from it one way or the other. so its illegal to collect tithe.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 12:41pm On Jun 01, 2009
Thank you, segyemaro. I'm quite familiar with your line of thinking, and such have been addressed in other threads extensively. Perhaps it may be good to once again point out a few of the weakness in them.

segyemaro:

Thanks for your very kind comments, I appreciate them. In reference to Matt 23:23 and Luke 11:42 concerning tithes. Remember that Jesus was born and lived under the Old Law (The Jewish Law). The New Law did not come into effect until after His death and resurrections on the day of Pentecost when the church was established. (Acts 1 and 2). We must always look at who is being talked too when we study the Bible so that we can apply what is said to the correct period of time.

There are many things which the Lord Jesus Christ addressed to the Jews but which are very well carried over into and applied in principle in the NT Church.

For example, it is evident that He was addressing the Jews when He spoke about loving God and loving neighbour in Matthew 22:34-40. A Jew had asked him a question about the Law, and His response was from the Law - and this same commandment in the Law has been carried over into Christianity without a question at all:

. . . Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
      Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
     and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.
     And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
     On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
     [compare Matthew 22:37 with Deut. 6:5]

It's clear He was addressing the Jews, but that comamndment from the Law has been carried over into Christianity without anybody questioning it.

A second example is about marriage: in the Gospels and the epistles, we find that marriage and divorce are also based on what the Law states:

'Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,)
     how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
     For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband
     so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law
     of her husband.' (Rom. 7:1-2)

Of course, Christians are not under the Law; but would that mean that Christians can throw Romans 7:1-2 behind them and therefore do as they please? The same point is made even stronger in 1 Corinthians 7:3 - "The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord."

Notice: "bound by the Law" - and yet, no Christian shouts that such a verse is not possible!

When we read the NT, even when we assume that certain things are addressed to only the Jews, we should seek to understand the principle of God's Word to us instead of trying to be legalists. The Bible says in Romans 15:4 that whatever was written in the OT were for the benefit of Christians:

'For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning,
      that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.'

God is not asking us to be clones of the Jews; but He uses the OT scriptures to speak to NT believers. There are numerous examples in the NT where scriptures which were directly addressing the Jews are also expressed towards Christians.

segyemaro:

In Luke 11:37-44, Jesus is talking to the Pharisee's and He (Jesus) said in verse 42, "But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These things you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Here Jesus is rebuking the Pharisee's for not following God in all things that they had been commanded to do. The commandment to tithe was under the Old Law and Jesus was telling the Pharisee's that they had tithed, but that they had failed to do others things that was also required by God. This was not a commandment for us to tithe, it was only making reference to what the Pharisee's had been commanded to do, Jesus was using this as an illustration of someone doing part of what was right but not doing all things.

That may well be; but I don't think He was speaking in that verse as an "illustration" to do all or part of what God required. His point was clear: "do both" without preferring one over the other. It may be argued [especially by anti-tithers] that Jesus was not "commanding" Christians to tithe in that verse; but they never for one instance consider that He was not condemning the practice of tithing at all. The simple reason why many Christians have come to believe in tithing today is because they know that in principle the tithe transcends the Law - in just the same way that "judgment and the love of God" transcend the Law.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 12:47pm On Jun 01, 2009
segyemaro:

Pilgrim knows every thing you have written here, the only problem is that she is more comfortable with quoting the bible out of context than stating things in their proper context. evidently as far as this tithing issue is concerned she as a vested interest which she is yet to reveal on nairaland otherwise she would not be going to several lengths to dis-tort scripture with the aim of justify a practise which as been established to have very weak scriptural basis.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 12:50pm On Jun 01, 2009
topeokunol:

i appreciates your both analysis, and its exactly what my pastor said,thats why we dont pay tithe in our church.we dont even collect offering during mid-week service offerings only on sundays only,so why are you fighting for the support of tithing pilgrim?is either you are a pastors wife or you are benefiting from it one way or the other. so its illegal to collect tithe.

@topeokunol,

Let me remind you again: if you're going to discuss, please do so; if not, please save your accusations - because it won't benefit you anything if you push your luck to be bleached up. However, in simple terms I'd address your misgivings:

~ your church practice is not law for other Christians;

~ your pastor makes tithing 'illegal' but has other ways of collecting your money

~ you obviously have said nothing intelligent before making it illegal

~ pilgrim.1 is not a pastor's wife who seeks your tithes

~ and yes, I've benefitted and continue to benefit from giving my tithes.

In all my discussions with people on tithing, I don't start out accusing people of being this, that or the other - the discussion should not become personalized as if I'm stealing money from your empty pockets. Why not rather discuss this subject and refrain from seeking to make it a matter of 'pilgrim.1'? I share what I know both from the Word and by experience, and you could do the same of even better. The points I've made stand as they are, and it's funny that you guys just talk anyhow and yet are unable to intelligently counter what you read in my posts.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 12:51pm On Jun 01, 2009
KunleOshob:

Pilgrim knows every thing you have written here, the only problem is that she is more comfortable with quoting the bible out of context than stating things in their proper context. evidently as far as this tithing issue is concerned she as a vested interest which she is yet to reveal on nairaland otherwise she would not be going to several lengths to dis-tort scripture with the aim of justify a practise which as been established to have very weak scriptural basis.

KunleOshbob, please show me where I've quoted Scripture out of context to segyemaro.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by No2Atheism(m): 12:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@topeokunol,

~ pilgrim.1 is not a pastor's wife who seeks your tithes

LMAO another person wants to marry you off to a pastor grin grin grin
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by topeokunol: 12:55pm On Jun 01, 2009
pilgrim,na you know wetin you want die for tithe matter for. i thank God no one can add or subtract from the bible,i am sure you would have since written your own so as to have a proper sentence for any non-tither.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 12:56pm On Jun 01, 2009
pilgrim.1:

KunleOshbob, please show me where I've quoted Scripture out of context to segyemaro.
Quoting scripture out of context is your hallmark on nairaland. Even your last post on the interpretation of matthew 23:23 is a very glaring attempt to quote scriptue out of context.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:02pm On Jun 01, 2009
topeokunol:

pilgrim,na you know wetin you want die for tithe matter for. i thank God no one can add or subtract from the bible,i am sure you would have since written your own so as to have a proper sentence for any non-tither.

I have 'proper sentence' for ignorant anti-tithers such as you often display. Often times I've appealed that people discuss without the sly drama, but when you have exhausted yourselves then you begin to whinge as above.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
No2Atheism:

LMAO another person wants to marry you off to a pastor grin grin grin

I tire o, bros. Lol, e be like say dem wan live my life for me! grin cheesy
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:07pm On Jun 01, 2009
KunleOshob:

Quoting scripture out of context is your hallmark on nairaland. Even your last post on the interpretation of matthew 23:23 is a very glaring attempt to quote scriptue out of context.

You keep repeating the same assertion without saying anything more to the point. When you do, say on; if you don't (because you can't), I bet you will repeat yourself with that boredom. If you want to throw that verse away, then your Christianity knows nothing about "judgment, mercy, and faith" - things which are also part of the Law. Just as segyemaro pointed out, you can't be making selective reading here; so go ahead and throw those same virtues away if it helps you.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by marvisjoy: 3:23pm On Jun 01, 2009
pilgim,there must be problem somewhere,cos i have asked 3 pastors on this tithe issue,2 of them are against it and also said we were not commanded to give,a nd pastors doing it are thieves.so everyone is entitle to his own opinion,you can o as you wish ,but Jehovah God knows who is doing the right thing
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 5:25pm On Jun 01, 2009
marvis joy:

pilgim,there must be problem somewhere,cos i have asked 3 pastors on this tithe issue,2 of them are against it and also said we were not commanded to give,a nd pastors doing it are thieves.so everyone is entitle to his own opinion,you can o as you wish ,but Jehovah God knows who is doing the right thing

I agree with your first and last statements: there must be problems with people having misunderstandings about this; and God knows who is doing right, whatever is the case of some who want to brand others all sorts of names. This is why even the two pastors you asked may only be expressing their own opinions, not because they are better than those they condemn as "thieves". Those who often are hasty to condemn others have their own ways of milking money from their congregations - they just don't call it 'tithes', but they do the same thing: collect your money, abi?

It's unwise for pastors to throw words carelessly around. They can share their understanding in a godly manner, and it is not by castigating ministers that they can prove themselves righteous.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by noetic2: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ Pilgrim

Nice points u have raised. I sincerely have my reservations about tithing (due to the wolves in the church), but cannot pin it down to the law as kunleoshob et all have done, cos even the early christians were encouraged to give ALL they had.

Thinking that nearly ALL churches who practice tithing could NOT be WRONG spiritually, is the final thin line of argument I hold on to that makes me subscribe to tithing.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by sosisi(f): 1:59am On Jun 02, 2009
To think that Pilgrim was born and raised a Muslim yet with so much incite into the things of God.
What a woman.
God bless you richly
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2009
noetic2:

@ Pilgrim

Nice points u have raised. I sincerely have my reservations about tithing (due to the wolves in the church), but cannot pin it down to the law as kunleoshob et all have done, cos even the early christians were encouraged to give ALL they had.
Early christians were never encouraged to give all they had although it was recorded in the book of acts that they shared all they had amongst themselves. This was infact an act of charity as the giving was directed to the needy and less priviledge amongst them and NOT the meant for the church leadership

noetic2:

Thinking that nearly ALL churches who practice tithing could NOT be WRONG spiritually, is the final thin line of argument I hold on to that makes me subscribe to tithing.
Well all these churches are led by men/women who have their material needs hence it is convient for them to twist scripture to justify their own personal desires. However there are several warnings in scriptures againt false teahchers, so you should not be suprised that the false teaching of tithing is so wide spread. The bible also lets of know that a lot of the false teaching is becos of money the verses below would shed more light on what i am saying.

2 Peter 2:3:
3 In their greed these false teachers will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremiah 8:8-10:

8 “‘How can you say, “We are wise because we have the word of the Lord,”
when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?

9 These wise teachers will fall
into the trap of their own foolishness,
for they have rejected the word of the Lord.
Are they so wise after all?
10 I will give their wives to others
and their farms to strangers.
From the least to the greatest,
their lives are ruled by greed.
Yes, even my prophets and priests are like that.
They are all frauds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 7:15:
15 “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves.

Romans 16:17-18:
17 And now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. Watch out for people who cause divisions and upset people’s faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them. 18 Such people are not serving Christ our Lord; they are serving their own personal interests. By smooth talk and glowing words they deceive innocent people.

1 Timothy 6:10-11:
10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. [/b]And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. 11 But you, [b]Timothy, are a man of God; so run from all these evil things. Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.

I used to have the same problem you have before thinking "how could all these men of God be wrong? I thought i was missing something but as i researched the issue further and disccussed it with other christians, including pastors and deacons non of them could give any credible defence to tithe given the weight of scriptural evidence i had against it hence my conclusion that they were either ignorant of true christian teachings or they were deliberately twisting scriptures for their own greed.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 3:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
$osisi:

To think that Pilgrim was born and raised a Muslim yet with so much incite into the things of God.
What a woman.
God bless you richly

@$osisi,
What can I say? All thanks to God, and you're very blessed. wink
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
@noetic2,

noetic2:

@ Pilgrim

Well said. Indeed, abuse of the subject in many quarters has put off many Christians altogether from giving. The sad thing, though, is that these abuses have come from both sides (pro-tithing and anti-tithing) of the divide, and the confusion and misunderstanding have grown basically from the anti-tithers legalism in mishandling the Law. Funny that when closely examined, so many of the assertions made by anti-tithers cannot be intelligently defended from Scripture. The usual cop-out for them is to resort to the drama of castigating pastors who preach tithe and make everyone guilty by association, simply because the anti-tithing argument is beginning to turn against their own camp.

noetic2:

Oh well, I wouldn't have guessed that you're inclined to tithing. But that's all good cheesy . . . and very salient point in yours, which would be of immense benefit to anti-tithers, if they only stopped to consider it. I could add, though: not all anti-tithers are wrong spiritually, although a good majority of them assume too many things out-of-hand and end up making unsubstantiated statements to their detriment and embarrassment that they cannot defend in good conscience.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:24pm On Jun 02, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Oh well, I wouldn't have guessed that you're inclined to tithing. But that's all good cheesy . . . and very salient point in yours, which would be of immense benefit to anti-tithers, if they only stopped to consider it. I could add, though: not all anti-tithers are wrong spiritually, although a good majority of them assume too many things out-of-hand and end up making unsubstantiated statements to their detriment and embarrassment that they cannot defend in good conscience.

On the contrary it is tithe preaching pastors that cannot defend the scam when the weight of biblical evidence[it's definition, purpose and how it was practised] is shown to them against their own new age definition of it.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2009
The Bible is clear enough that you would always need a second party to help you misunderstand it.
If people will just take God's word the way it is without reading their thoughts, dreams and ambitions into it, there would be no need to argue any point without a sincere and profitable conclusion which would be to the benefits of all. The Apostles had several arguments (reading from the book of Acts) but they always followed the Scripture through for clarity and a profitable conclusion. Sometimes we need to argue a point from many angles in order to get it right. However, we must be careful to pursue only that which bring peace, if the arguments won't do any good to anybody, it's just better to drop it.
The fact that a man just want to keep arguing even when he can see clearly from the Bible that his points are void shows that the man is pioneering a very devilish ambition.

@Pilgrim1 and Kunle
I've been following your posts and it's to my interest that your arguments is leading to a very good conclusion that many believers can benefit from. God's word holds the final say over all subjects in the Christendom. We cannot add to it, we dare not take away from it, we can only choose to obey and practice it.
Having this at the back of our minds that only the doer of the word is blessed in his deeds!

I guess Pilgrim must be seeing the practice of tithe with better insight now
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2009
@KunleOshob,

KunleOshob:

Early christians were never encouraged to give all they had although it was recorded in the book of acts that they shared all they had amongst themselves. This was infact an act of charity as the giving was directed to the needy and less priviledge amongst them and NOT the meant for the church leadership

One could say that the early Christians were indeed "encouraged" to give all they had, as we don't read that anyone was "discouraged" or reprimanded for doing so. Both the example in the Gospels (e.g., Luke 21:1-4) and the record of Church history (Acts 4:32) testify to this point in simplicity. In the latter, the context bears out that the sharing was among all who had believed - both congregation and leadership, for there was no dichotomy in that verse. Reading on to the end of that chapter bears out the same two points here: that, (i) believers were not discouraged from giving all that they had; and (ii) everyone - including both congregation and leadership - benefitted from what was gathered from their giving.

KunleOshob:

Well all these churches are led by men/women who have their material needs hence it is convient for them to twist scripture to justify their own personal desires.

Which churches are led by men/women who do not have material needs in one way or the other? Does Scripture not make the point so clearly that leaders have such needs (1 Cor. 9:4, 7-10)?? Why do you ever seek to be so malignant against people who you really have no clue about their lives and circumstances?

KunleOshob:

However there are several warnings in scriptures againt false teahchers, so you should not be suprised that the false teaching of tithing is so wide spread.

It should be obvious that such warnings are precisely for people like who have no clue what they argue and yet are often pretending to be the 'correctors' of others with such attitudes such as you constantly display. Nobody is ever doing right in your super-pseudo-spirituality just because of the mention of 'tithes'; and yet when asked where your own "perfectly okay" tithes can be found in Scripture, you duck that question forever. You who teach others, teachest not thyself? (Rom. 2:3 & 21).

KunleOshob:

The bible also lets of know that a lot of the false teaching is becos of money the verses below would shed more light on what i am saying.

The verses you quoted have nothing to do with anyone teaching tithes. Making false claims and dragooning far-fetched verses to castigate ministers is a hallmark of duplicity.

KunleOshob:

I used to have the same problem you have before thinking "how could all these men of God be wrong? I thought i was missing something but as i researched the issue further and disccussed it with other christians, including pastors and deacons non of them could give any credible defence to tithe given the weight of scriptural evidence i had against it hence my conclusion that they were either ignorant of true christian teachings or they were deliberately twisting scriptures for their own greed.

In other words, after sampling only a couple of your neighbours, you come to the huge conclusion that all pastors who teach tithes must be guilty of your small ideas? Anyone who does not agree with your idea has to be "deliberately twisting scriptures" by default?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:40pm On Jun 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

On the contrary it is tithe preaching pastors that cannot defend the scam when the weight of biblical evidence[it's definition, purpose and how it was practised] is shown to them against their own new age definition of it.

Can you then answer the simple question of your own tithe-twisting, Kunle? You cannot be accusing pastors like you're the personal assistant of 'the accuser of the brethren' and yet unable to show your own "perfectly okay" tithing from income for Christians. WHERE do you derive your own "perfectly okay" tithes you have been noising emptily from?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:47pm On Jun 02, 2009
@solosimple,

solosimple:

The Bible is clear enough that you would always need a second party to help you misunderstand it.
If people will just take God's word the way it is without reading their thoughts, dreams and ambitions into it, there would be no need to argue any point without a sincere and profitable conclusion which would be to the benefits of all. The Apostles had several arguments (reading from the book of Acts) but they always followed the Scripture through for clarity and a profitable conclusion. Sometimes we need to argue a point from many angles in order to get it right. However, we must be careful to pursue only that which bring peace, if the arguments won't do any good to anybody, it's just better to drop it.
The fact that a man just want to keep arguing even when he can see clearly from the Bible that his points are void shows that the man is pioneering a very devilish ambition.

Your last statement about devilish ambition is apt for those who demonise pastors to justify their own pseudo-spirituality.

solosimple:

@Pilgrim1 and Kunle
I've been following your posts and it's to my interest that your arguments is leading to a very good conclusion that many believers can benefit from. God's word holds the final say over all subjects in the Christendom. We cannot add to it, we dare not take away from it, we can only choose to obey and practice it.
Having this at the back of our minds that only the doer of the word is blessed in his deeds!

I guess Pilgrim must be seeing the practice of tithe with better insight now

Well, I'm not justified as the 'authority' on tithes - neither here on this forum, nor elsewhere. Infact, I've greatly benefitted from the discussions and arguments of many people on either side on the subject, most of whom I consider far more brilliant in this issue. The one thing I would ever resist is the diabolical attitude of pretentious "Christian love" that someone uses to malignantly slander pastors constantly and yet justify himself/herself in that attitude.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Can you then answer the simple question of your own tithe-twisting, Kunle? You cannot be accusing pastors like you're the personal assistant of 'the accuser of the brethren' and yet unable to show your own "perfectly okay" tithing from income for Christians. WHERE do you derive your own "perfectly okay" tithes you have been noising emptily from?

It is very low, cheap, dirty, filthy, digusting and irritating this your continous and repetitive out of context quote which you have been posting here. It actually speaks volumes about your character, it says to me that your are a very dis-honest person whom one should be very wary of

PS: Imagine someone who claims to be a christian resorting to lies on a public forum just to defend her ill conceived fraudulent doctrine from the pits of hell.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:57pm On Jun 02, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Your last statement about devilish ambition is apt for those who demonise pastors to justify their own pseudo-spirituality.

On the contrary it is more apt for those who twist the word of God to de-fraud his children. It is also apt for those who defend this evil them as well.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

It is very low, cheap, dirty, filthy, digusting and irritating this your continous and repetitive out of context quote which you have been posting here.

Have you finished? What other adjective do you have to complain here since you cannot dialogue and are losing your steam? This is typically the sign that you're beginning to be frustrated at your own games, but I'm not going to banter insolence with you. My apologies, eh? cheesy cheesy

KunleOshob:

It actually speaks volumes about your character, it says to me that your are a very dis-honest person whom one should be very wary of

Ad hominems, eh? Hehe, this drama is not helping you grow spiritualily, you know. Someone once said that accusative language directed against another's character is a sure sign of weakness - you tempted me before, now you're floating alone. Keep up the foaming in the mouth - that is typical of the "gracious" anti-tithers who know all things.

KunleOshob:

PS: Imagine someone who claims to be a christian resorting to lies on a public forum just to defend her ill conceived fraudulent doctrine from the pits of hell.

Typical - you accuse, allege, tear out your hair, rant, frown, knock your head on your keyboard . . . and a thousand and one sly invectives you may throw, I'm unruffled. grin cheesy You just weaken your position further without my saying it.

KunleOshob:

On the contrary it is more apt for those who twist the word of God to de-fraud his children. It is also apt for those who defend this evil them as well.

And that justifies your happy adventure of demonizing pastors, eh? Well done, sir. cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do Witches Really Convene At Night To Suck Blood? / Should A Christian Hotelier Allow Unmarried Couples To Lodge In A Room? / Doctors Can Now Give Amputees Real Hands, When God Cannot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.