Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,588 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Is Thanksgiving Biblical? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Thanksgiving Biblical? (6651 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Is Thanksgiving Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 4:19pm On Mar 04, 2009
kunle,these people dont read their Bible and are ignorant of the promises the Holy book has for them.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2009
segyemaro:

kunle,these people dont read their Bible and are ignorant of the promises the Holy book has for them.
they actually read it but they read it upside down and quote it out of context becos of the church encouraged approach to reading only specific verses instead of reading the whole passage to get the clearer picture.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 4:32pm On Mar 04, 2009
kunle,i think is high time people are encouraged through this medium to read their bible and understand it,we are lucky that we all have bibles at our disposal,unlike some years ago that you can only listen to the bible at the synagogue.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2009
segyemaro:

kunle,i think is high time people are encouraged through this medium to read their bible and understand it,we are lucky that we all have bibles at our disposal,unlike some years ago that you can only listen to the bible at the synagogue.
Our people would rather listen to gods of men than read their bibles, churches like christ embassy even discourage you from reading the bible by claiming once you read their rotten and twisted "rapshodies of realities" you don't even need to read the bible again.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 5:02pm On Mar 04, 2009
kunle,all these pastors have created an extral ways of making money for themselves,by writing prayer book and prayers pamphlet,like the one of Christ embassy,Rhapsodies of miracle and so on. were their male members are encouraged to perm their hair,and their pastor chris oyakhilome also perm his hair,then what are they preaching there?is that a church or a social gathering?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by marvisjoy: 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2009
it depends on the type of thanksgiving
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by arowolo888: 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2009
i am yet to find a place in the bible were it is written that its good to take yams,cows,gulder even ogogoro to church.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 10:02am On Mar 11, 2009
arowolo888:

i am yet to find a place in the bible were it is written that its good to take yams,cows,gulder even ogogoro to church.
It is in the bible that you cantake all this stuff to church, but then you are supposed to consume it yourself with your household you are also supposed to give the poor out of it. Deut 14: 22-29
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 10:43am On Mar 11, 2009
@Poster, since Christianity is mostly about you doing UNTO God and pleasing him according to his way, may I suggest that instead of asking people, you pick up a Bible and then get down on your knees to ask God and then wait to hear from him? Don’t you think it is ridiculous to ask people of what is good for God and what is not KNOWING full well that in the world we live in, people have a knack for confusing opinion with FACT? If you base your belief on what the book says about God, then learn to read the book in its entirety to learn more.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 9:03pm On Mar 14, 2009
yea its good to give God thanks,but not the way these pastors make one to believe,wher the would have thanksgiving service four times in a year and you are told to bring your best to thank God,with all these you are not thanking God but Your pastor. i believe you can thank God by praying on money or any gift items and give to the poor,not an already over fed pastor.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by eghosaobas: 8:59pm On Mar 15, 2009
you want to deny pastors of the yams and rice they took to them assive one is going for a sacrifice
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by todak(m): 10:56pm On Mar 16, 2009
The Word "Thanksgiving" means appreciating one for what he/she has done. Humanly, when we are pleased with someone or someone helped us and we are so happy, we appreciate, thank, and are usually full of gratitude, also we give them gift to encourage them to do more good or help better especially in the political world. I we can appreciate man how much more God. Listen it is not God that takes yout money, God does not need our money, cow, yam, or what so ever. He created them all and does not need to demand from us. Now He speaks to us through our Prophets and pastors. Some people think Pastors are supernatural beings that do not need to eat, feel, play, behave like human. If every body goes out to work on his or her own accord, no one will become a pastor. The material or monetary thanksgiving is for the church use part of it for the pastor's use and some for the needy and the poor. It should be given out of free will.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by oluwdashmi(f): 9:41am On Mar 17, 2009
@ben20001
what else will I say. Yu've said it all.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 2:58pm On Mar 17, 2009
you expect me to belive that?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 7:51pm On Mar 19, 2009
please lets be realistic
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by realpastor: 7:23pm On Mar 22, 2009
na wa osanobua
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 7:07pm On May 03, 2009
arowolo888:

me too oooooo
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by topeokunol: 8:02pm On May 03, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 7:42pm On May 04, 2009
na wa ooooooo
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by realpastor: 7:28pm On May 18, 2009
eghosaobas:

you want to deny pastors of the yams and rice they took to them assive one is going for a sacrifice
na wa ooooo
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by kenny888: 6:42pm On May 24, 2009
eghosaobas:

ezeo ku
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 12:14pm On May 25, 2009
In the book of Acts, at every point the Apostles came together with good reports of what the Lord has done through them and for them, they always gave thanks to God but not in any case did anyone among them give offering to another one. Jesus himself told a man that he healed that he should go home and tell his household what The Lord has done for him, he didn't tell him to take anything to the temple. Thanksgiving and giving of offering are too different things that ought not to be married together. Give thanks always(to God). Also, it's not wrong to give offering in Xtian gathering but it should follow a particular relevant need and must be done with order. See example in 1Cor 16:1-3.
Note that the need in 1Cor 16 that was cited is to help the poor. So, be sure you know what you are giving for before you start giving.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 12:24pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

In the book of Acts, at every point the Apostles came together with good reports of what the Lord has done through them and for them, they always gave thanks to God but not in any case did anyone among them give offering to another one. Jesus himself told a man that he healed that he should go home and tell his household what The Lord has done for him, he didn't tell him to take anything to the temple. Thanksgiving and giving of offering are too different things that ought not to be married together. Give thanks always(to God). Also, it's not wrong to give offering in Xtian gathering but it should follow a particular relevant need and must be done with order. See example in 1Cor 16:1-3.
Note that the need in 1Cor 16 that was cited is to help the poor. So, be sure you know what you are giving for before you start giving.

The passage you just mentioned above is one of the passages being twisted to justify the unbiblical collection of mandatory weekly offeringgs being collected by most churches today and instead of using it to help the poor as the bible directed they are keeping it for themselves under the guise that they are using it to "run the church". Talk of stealing from the poor. angry
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by JJYOU: 12:27pm On May 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

The passage you just mentioned above is one of the passages being twisted to justify the unbiblical collection of mandatory weekly offeringgs being collected by most churches today and instead of using it to help the poor as the bible directed they are keeping it for themselves under the guise that they are using it to "run the church". Talk of stealing from the poor. angry
oga kunle, is there any church doing anything right where you live or in your eyes at all?they all seems to be crooks always doing illegal things
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 12:30pm On May 25, 2009
JJYOU:

oga kunle, is there any church doing anything right where you live or in your eyes at all?they all seems to be crooks always doing illegal things

I wonder. When someone is used to always accusing others, it's probably because they know nothing else than that. Enjoy o jare. wink
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 12:36pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

Thanksgiving and giving of offering are too different things that ought not to be married together.

Although they are not the same, they could actually be connected - 2 Corinthians 9:11-12.

solosimple:

Give thanks always(to God). Also, it's not wrong to give offering in Xtian gathering but it should follow a particular relevant need and must be done with order. See example in 1Cor 16:1-3.

Actually, 1 Corinthians 16 is not only about the poor - in verse 6 of that same chapter, Paul was actually saying to his recipients (the church) that they are to sponsor his trips (compare with 2 Cor. 1:16).
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 12:45pm On May 25, 2009
Actually, 1 Corinthians 16 is not only about the poor - in verse 6 of that same chapter, Paul was actually saying to his recipients (the church) that they are to sponsor his trips (compare with 2 Cor. 1:16).
Yap!

@Kunle
Is it not funny that men are so used to deception that they don't like people who stand for the truth.
I now see the word of The Lord Jesus in open display: MEN LOVE DARKNESS MORE THAN THE LIGHT
O ma se o!
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 12:52pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

@Kunle
Is it not funny that men are so used to deception that they don't like people who stand for the truth.

Precisely, and it's more than funny. Seriously, one wonders if people who talk like this have taken the time to see their own deception and whether they like others who tell the truth they often do not like to hear.

solosimple:

I now see the word of The Lord Jesus in open display: MEN LOVE DARKNESS MORE THAN THE LIGHT
O ma se o!

True, as long as you're not quoting that to justify yourself - read Luke 16:15. wink
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 12:54pm On May 25, 2009
@Pilgrim
2Cor 9:11-12
From my understanding, the above scripture is still talking about being generous to others, and that would mean to those who are in need. That is only connected to to thanksgiving in the sense that people who thank God at your good works. Example of that is in 3Jn 1-8 about Gaius. However that has no link with people bringing money to church for thanksgiving.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 12:55pm On May 25, 2009
True, as long as you're not quoting that to justify yourself - read Luke 16:15.
God is the Justifier of those who truly believe.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:04pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

God is the Justifier of those who truly believe.

I asked if you were quoting the previous to justify yourself, not whether someone else than God is the justifier. There's no need to be pointing fingers at others just because you can't see beyond your own ideas.

solosimple:

@Pilgrim
2Cor 9:11-12
From my understanding, the above scripture is still talking about being generous to others, and that would mean to those who are in need.

I don't remember saying that it has nothing to do with being generous - my point was that the two things are not the same, but they are connected: and even you had acknowledged the connection between them, as quoted below -

solosimple:

That is only connected to to thanksgiving in the sense that people who thank God at your good works. Example of that is in 3Jn 1-8 about Gaius. However that has no link with people bringing money to church for thanksgiving.

There - 'that is only connected', whatever the sense you give it. This is different from you divorcing them previously.

However, if you go back and read it again, the point is simple enough to be seen:

For the administration of this service
                ~ (a) not only supplieth the want of the saints,
                ~ (b) but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God

By "this service", the apostle clearly meant the collection for the saints (see verse 1 - 'as touching the ministering to the saints'). Two things stand out there in the connection by the words:

~ "not only"
      ~ "but. . .also"

It is that collection that causes the thanksgiving - in the same sense you had intoned earlier ("Give thanks always(to God)."wink
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 1:16pm On May 25, 2009
Hey, easy man, are u here for some kind of arguments or to shed light on the issue at hand. You words appear as that of a man looking for fault in others.
I asked if you were quoting the previous to justify yourself, not whether someone else than God is the justifier. There's no need to be pointing fingers at others just because you can't see beyond your own ideas.
How did I point accusing fingers at u, and how are mine not seeing beyond my own ideas?
Well, For your info. I have know personnel idea in this issue, I stick to what the word says and nothing more,
perhaps you have problem with that, but that's too bad for 'cos I don't know what u expect.
So, do u have problem with the fact that I do not justify myself but I trust in God who justifies those who believe.
Hey, I got the point u made and I agree with u where u where right, but there's no way you can force me to say that People must give offering as they come to give thanks to God in Xtian gathering.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is House On The Rock A Secret Cult??? / Is Jesus Christ The Messiah? / How Can I Join Ogboni Or Something Similar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.