Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,536 members, 7,816,307 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Is Thanksgiving Biblical? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Thanksgiving Biblical? (6647 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Is Thanksgiving Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:26pm On May 25, 2009
@solosimple,

solosimple:

Hey, easy man, are u here for some kind of arguments or to shed light on the issue at hand. You words appear as that of a man looking for fault in others.

I'm sorry, but you're gravely mistaken. If you felt my point was to find fault with yours, that's your personal take on things, and it's no bother.  If you calmly read through my replies, you'll find that I was doing precisely what you missed: shedding light on the subject - miss that, miss everything. If you find fault with that, you're very welcome to point out where and why that is so.

solosimple:

How did I point accusing fingers at u, and how are mine not seeing beyond my own ideas?

Not at me; but when Christians discuss, it does not cost anything to refrain from being coy at others. What exactly did you mean by the statement: "Is it not funny that men are so used to deception"? If you can't handle simple issues, you really didn't need to substitute such statements - perhaps you need to go one step further and identify those whom you were referring to in your statement.

solosimple:

Well, For your info. I have know personnel idea in this issue, I stick to what the word says and nothing more,

Same here. wink

solosimple:

perhaps you have problem with that, but that's too bad for 'cos I don't know what u expect.

Sorry, I don't have a problem with anyone reasoning from Scripture - do you have any problems with what I pointed out from Scripture? Stick to this issue, not complaining away from it.

solosimple:

So, do u have problem with the fact that I do not justify myself but I trust in God who justifies those who believe.

Do you really have a problem with that verse? Abi why has it gotten you so worried that you're now referring to it for about 3 replies now? cheesy

solosimple:

Hey, I got the point u made and I agree with u where u where right, but there's no way you can force me to say that People must give offering as they come to give thanks to God in Xtian gathering.

Hey, listen up: go read again and find out where I tried to "force" you or anyone to bring money or anything to give thanks to God - I'd be glad to see it. Until then, be blessed.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 1:30pm On May 25, 2009
This reminds me of my assertion that most scriptures on giving in the new testament are actually talking about giving to the poor but it is our preachers that twist it to mean giving to the church, most of the passages recently posted on this page re-inforce that assertion but i am sure my darling pilgrim.1 would not see it that way.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:44pm On May 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

This reminds me of my assertion that most scriptures on giving in the new testament are actually talking about giving to the poor but it is our preachers that twist it to mean giving to the church, most of the passages recently posted on this page re-inforce that assertion but i am sure my darling pilgrim.1 would not see it that way.

@KunleOshob,

Good afternoon (wherever you are). I hope you enjoyed your weekend. If so, glory to God. wink

Actually, this issue about giving (whatever we term it: tithe, contribution, collection, etc) should not be taken as a personal fiasco. It does not have to hinge on whatever pilgrim.1 says or what KunleOshob feels - let's learn to see how we can balance issues for our mutual benefit and for others who are genuinely seeking what this is all about.

You keep making this argument that "it is our preachers that twist it to mean giving to the church" - as if there's not a single line in the N[/b]ew [b]T[/b]estament about giving to the church! Even these passages lately quoted are about giving to the church, are they not? In any event, if indeed the NT does teach about giving in Church, why be endlessly worried about it and get stuck on accusing preachers today? The one thing it may imply is that you hate are seriously dismayed at any expression of giving in church. Second, you will notice that I did not anywhere argue against giving to the poor; but rather than be polarised at only one side of the issue, my point has always been to maintain a balance by looking at [b]both sides of the issue.

If you are unrepentantly convinced that it is our preachers who twisted the NT to teach giving in church, there's no need for you to ever give anything in Church - as well, no need to ever read those parts of the NT that teach it. I hope this will help you carefully consider your persuasions and aim both for clarity and consistency.

Shalom.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 1:47pm On May 25, 2009
I'm sorry, but you're gravely mistaken. If you felt my point was to find fault with yours, that's your personal take on things, and it's no bother. If you calmly read through my replies, you'll find that I was doing precisely what you missed: shedding light on the subject - miss that, miss everything. If you find fault with that, you're very welcome to point out where and why that is so.
Shedding light indeed!
Not at me; but when Christians discuss, it does not cost anything to refrain from being coy at others. What exactly did you mean by the statement: "Is it not funny that men are so used to deception"? If you can't handle simple issues, you really didn't need to substitute such statements - perhaps you need to go one step further and identify those whom you were referring to in your statement.
Anyone who has problem with obeying the scriptures loves darkness more. Are u in that category? And besides what exactly got to you in the statement?
Same here.
What?
Sorry, I don't have a problem with anyone reasoning from Scripture - do you have any problems with what I pointed out from Scripture? Stick to this issue, not complaining away from it.
You better don't. Did you say complain? over what, man we are not in contention. You just have to be sincere with yourself.
Do you really have a problem with that verse? Abi why has it gotten you so worried that you're now referring to it for about 3 replies now?

Problem? Worry? U don't sound like a Xtian here. Once again, God is my justifier. More worries for you I guess!
Hey, listen up: go read again and find out where I tried to "force" you or anyone to bring money or anything to give thanks to God - I'd be glad to see it. Until then, be blessed.

No need, A sincere approach would be rather appreciated.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:50pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

Shedding light indeed! Anyone who has problem with obeying the scriptures loves darkness more. Are u in that category? And besides what exactly got to you in the statement?What? You better don't. Did you say complain? over what, man we are not in contention. You just have to be sincere with yourself.
Problem? Worry? U don't sound like a Xtian here. Once again, God is my justifier. More worries for you I guess!

Solosimple,

I hope everything is okay with you? It seems you have problems and have deviated from addressing the discussion to taking things personally. Which one gets you going - your complaints, or the topic?

solosimple:

No need, A sincere approach would be rather appreciated.

I didn't expect you would, perhaps because you know you can't.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 2:01pm On May 25, 2009
Actually, this issue about giving (whatever we term it: tithe, contribution, collection, etc) should not be taken as a personal fiasco. It does not have to hinge on whatever pilgrim.1 says or what KunleOshob feels - let's learn to see how we can balance issues for our mutual benefit and for others who are genuinely seeking what this is all about.

You keep making this argument that "it is our preachers that twist it to mean giving to the church" - as if there's not a single line in the New Testament about giving to the church! Even these passages lately quoted are about giving to the church, are they not? In any event, if indeed the NT does teach about giving in Church, why be endlessly worried about it and get stuck on accusing preachers today? The one thing it may imply is that you hate are seriously dismayed at any expression of giving in church. Second, you will notice that I did not anywhere argue against giving to the poor; but rather than be polarised at only one side of the issue, my point has always been to maintain a balance by looking at both sides of the issue.

If you are unrepentantly convinced that it is our preachers who twisted the NT to teach giving in church, there's no need for you to ever give anything in Church - as well, no need to ever read those parts of the NT that teach it. I hope this will help you carefully consider your persuasions and aim both for clarity and consistency.
Oh I now understand where you are coming from. I think this thread is about thanksgiving and offering. Why are you trying to narrow it down to giving just because you want to tell us to give in church.
Well, I have a place I fellowship and I give offering every Sunday(for a relevant need). I understand that there are need for church administration and we need to give in support of that. My point, however, is that we must be wise to define what we are giving for, else we would been falling prey to the deception of those who twist the scriptures to raise money for themselves.
Solosimple,

I hope everything is okay with you? It seems you have problems and have deviated from addressing the discussion to taking things personally. Which one gets you going - your complaints, or the topic?
Finally, u've manifested your true person.

I didn't expect you would, perhaps because you know you can't.
You not said anything meaningful or sensible.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 2:17pm On May 25, 2009
@solosimple,

solosimple:

Oh I now understand where you are coming from.

Good. Now can we get back to discussing the topic?

solosimple:

I think this thread is about thanksgiving and offering. Why are you trying to narrow it down to giving just because you want to tell us to give in church.

I didn't do any such thing. My first reply to yours expressed the fact that both ideas are not the same exact thing, but they are CONNECTED - referencing why that is so, by quoting 2 Corinthians 9:11-12. How does that "narrow it down to giving". . or even telling you to give in church?

solosimple:

Well, I have a place I fellowship and I give offering every Sunday(for a relevant need). I understand that there are need for church administration and we need to give in support of that. My point, however, is that we must be wise to define what we are giving for, else we would been falling prey to the deception of those who twist the scriptures to raise money for themselves.

I think this is missing the point. I don't remember questioning where you fellowship, nor even how you give. And how does this underscore what you read in my replies?

solosimple:

Solosimple,
Finally, u've manifested your true person.

I can't laugh. . . you seem to relish unnecessary complaints.

solosimple:

You not said anything meaningful or sensible.

I hear - and you still can't be man enough to find where I tried to "force" you to give in church?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 2:17pm On May 25, 2009
@Pilgrim.1
For the record i am not against christians giving to the church neither am i saying that the bible does not encourage it, my point you are missing is what the empahasis of christian giving is based on the bible. The truth is that if you examine the new testamnet very well, most teachings on giving were menat for the needy even church collections were meant for the needy and that is the emphasis, but today the emphasis as been changed[by men] we are made to beleieve that christian giving is all about giving to "support God's work" i.e church and scriptures used to teach giving to the poor are actually twisted to mean giving to the church like you tried to do with 2 corinthians 9: I do support giving to the church and i actually do but my submission is that more emphasis should be given to the poor/needy as exemplified in the bible. I am also dismayed that men that prophess them selves to be "men of God" have actually insituitionalized twisted scripture into their church doctrines all in the bid to make money for themselves whilst stealing from the poor and using the word of God to justify this greed and wickedness. These teachings i believe were God's way of creating a poverty alleviation programme and men have highjacked it for their own selfish desires, this i believe is evil  being manisfested and it should be condenmed without any reservations.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 2:29pm On May 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1
For the record i am not against christians giving to the church neither am i saying that the bible does not encourage it, my point you are missing is what the empahasis of christian giving is based on the bible. The truth is that if you examine the new testamnet very well, most teachings on giving were menat for the needy even church collections were meant for the needy and that is the emphasis, but today the emphasis as been changed[by men] we are made to beleieve that christian giving is all about giving to "support God's work" i.e church and scriptures used to teach giving to the poor are actually twisted to mean giving to the church like you tried to do with 2 corinthians 9: I do support giving to the church and i actually do but my submission is that more emphasis should be given to the poor/needy as exemplified in the bible. I am also dismayed that men that prophess them selves to be "men of God" have actually insituitionalized twisted scripture into their church doctrines all in the bid to make money for themselves whilst stealing from the poor and using the word of God to justify this greed and wickedness. These teachings i believe were God's way of creating a poverty alleviation programme and men have highjacked it for their own selfish desires, this i believe is evil  being manisfested and it should be condenmed without any reservations.

I have to give you a mixed review, because once again you haven't been clear. First, your strain of argument has always been to focus on "our preachers" - just anything you're not comfortable with has to be blamed on other people. Why do you have that attitude?

However, even when we examine the NT, we find indeed that both sides are emphatic. The only thing here is that people tend to look at only one side of the issue and then begin to operate their mentality from ONLY that one side. This is why you often have said that "our preachers" have 'twisted' Scripture to mean giving in church, and that sounds as if giving in Church is a heinous sin by any means.

Communication is important; and several times your cark has been about "giving in Church". Indeed, our giving in church as Christians include so many things - including caring for poor saints. Perhaps we often assume that "the poor" are presumably ONLY people who are on the streets, and yet we often miss the point that they are believers in Church as well as those outside the Church. What is wrong with GIVING IN CHURCH if it includes caring for the poor as a proper 'ministry' of the Church? We shouldn't be strung up on just one thing and keep harping on it as if that is Scripture has nothing to say on other aspects that some people are not comfortable with?

Give in Church, as well as reach out to others outside the Church. The poor are both inside and outside the Church, and we should encourage giving rather than using this same thing to often slur people. This was why I asked you to reconsider your persuasions and aim to be clear and consistent.

Thanks again for laying out your views.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 2:43pm On May 25, 2009
@Pilgrim. 1
I'm not hear because of u. Hope u don't mind if I just ignore u at this point as your words have no more relevance to me.
Bye!
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 2:45pm On May 25, 2009
pilgrim.1:

However, even when we examine the NT, we find indeed that both sides are emphatic. [/b]The only thing here is that people tend to look at only one side of the issue and then begin to operate their mentality from ONLY that one side. This is why you often have said that "our preachers" have 'twisted' Scripture to mean giving in church, and that sounds as if [b]giving in Church is a heinous sin by any means.

Whilst there are passages that teach and support giving to preachers and giving to the poor i find from studying the bibile that 90% of the teachings on giving are actually directed towards giving to the poor and that is why i stated that the emphasis should be the poor and not the "church" and if we concentrate our giving to the church then we must be sure that the church is actually using the money to help the needy as exemplfied in Acts 4:32-35. But today the emphasis of chrisitan giving as been reversed by this same people that are supposed to teach us the truths of the scriptures. Obviously the reason for this does  not take rocket science to decifer.

Acts 4:32-35:
32 All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had. 33 The apostles testified powerfully to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God’s great blessing was upon them all. 34 There were no needy people among them, because those who owned land or houses would sell them 35 and bring the money to the apostles to give to those in need.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 2:47pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

@Pilgrim. 1
I'm not hear because of u. Hope u don't mind if I just ignore u at this point as your words have no more relevance to me.
Bye!

Lol, you have some ego! grin You assume that anyone is here because of who. . . you? Puleeease!
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 2:57pm On May 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

Whilst there are passages that teach and support giving to preachers and giving to the poor i find from studying the bibile that 90% of the teachings on giving are actually directed towards giving to the poor and that is why i stated that the emphasis should be the poor and not the "church" and if we concentrate our giving to the church then we must be sure that the church is actually using the money to help the needy as exemplfied in Acts 4:32-35. But today the emphasis of chrisitan giving as been reversed by this same people that are supposed to teach us the truths of the scriptures. Obviously the reason for this does not take rocket science to decifer.

I get you, and there's nothing you have added to make much difference from the same problem you've had all along. Please calm down and understand the basic issue here: whether to preachers or the poor, both can occur through giving in church - and that's what the epistles demonstrate.

Even Acts 4:32-35 that you quoted is only underscoring the very fact of giving in church - just check it out at verse 35 - where did the "laid them down at the apostles' feet" occur - outside the church, or rather in Church? Unless you have some way of demonstrating that the apostles were outside the Church, I don't see what Acts 4:32-35 does for your argument.

When you carefully read the verses you are contending with (or rather proffering), then the point will come forth to you: giving in Church is a ministry that channels help both to the poor, those who preach, and even others outside the Church.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by JJYOU: 3:11pm On May 25, 2009
some people will never go into the kingdom of God and will do all things to stop others entering into the kingdom.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 3:14pm On May 25, 2009
pilgrim.1:

I get you, and there's nothing you have added to make much difference from the same problem you've had all along. Please calm down and understand the basic issue here: whether to preachers or the poor, both can occur through giving in church - and that's what the epistles demonstrate.

Even Acts 4:32-35 that you quoted is only underscoring the very fact of giving in church - just check it out at verse 35 - where did the "laid them down at the apostles' feet" occur - outside the church, or rather in Church? Unless you have some way of demonstrating that the apostles were outside the Church, I don't see what Acts 4:32-35 does for your argument.

When you carefully read the verses you are contending with (or rather proffering), then the point will come forth to you: giving in Church is a ministry that channels help both to the poor, those who preach, and even others outside the Church.
Are you for real?  shocked acts 4:32-35 clearly demonstrates the essense of giving in the church and my dear it did not expressly state to "help those who preach" which you tried to smuggle in. It says the money was distributed to those in need, so for those who preach to be qualified to receive out of it they must be in need. And if you want to try and use this passage to justify giving in church then i would more than use it to justify that the proceeds must be given to those in need[mostly charity] which is very contrary to what our churches practise today.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 3:16pm On May 25, 2009
JJYOU:

some people will never go into the kingdom of God and will do all things to stop others entering into the kingdom.
And some people think they can bribe their way into the kingdom of God whilst following the doctrines of men and ignoring God's commandments.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 3:39pm On May 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

And some people think they can bribe their way into the kingdom of God whilst following the doctrines of men and ignoring God's commandments.

Are you too busy making some for yourself?  undecided

KunleOshob:

Are you for real?  shocked [size=14pt]acts 4:32-35 clearly demonstrates the essense of giving in the church[/size] and my dear it did not expressly state to "help those who preach" which you tried to smuggle in. It says the money was distributed to those in need, so for those who preach to be qualified to receive out of it they must be in need. And if you want to try and use this passage to justify giving in church then i would more than use it to justify that the proceeds must be given to those in need[mostly charity] which is very contrary to what our churches practise today.

You sound like you're confusing issues further for yourself. Kunle, English should not be your problem - if it is, no wahala. By the highlighted words, you have only buttressed my point, and destroyed your own arguments. Thank you very dearly! grin cheesy

Let me outline it for you:

1[list]
KunleOshob:
This reminds me of my assertion that most scriptures on giving in the new testament are actually talking about giving to the poor but it is our preachers that twist it to mean giving to the church, . . .
[/list]

2[list]
KunleOshob:

. . . but today the emphasis as been changed[by men] we are made to beleieve that christian giving is all about giving to "support God's work" i.e church and scriptures used to teach giving to the poor are actually twisted to mean giving to the church like you tried to do with 2 corinthians 9: . . .
[/list]

3[list]
KunleOshob:

Whilst there are passages that teach and support giving to preachers and giving to the poor i find from studying the bibile that 90% of the teachings on giving are actually directed towards giving to the poor and that is why i stated that the emphasis should be the poor and not the "church" and if we concentrate our giving to the church then we must be sure that the church is actually using the money to help the needy as exemplfied in Acts 4:32-35. But today the emphasis of chrisitan giving as been reversed by this same people that are supposed to teach us the truths of the scriptures. Obviously the reason for this does  not take rocket science to decifer.
[/list]

pilgrim.1:

Even Acts 4:32-35 that you quoted [size=14pt]is only underscoring the very fact of giving in church[/size] - just check it out at verse 35 - where did the "laid them down at the apostles' feet" occur - [size=14pt]outside the church, or rather in Church?[/size] Unless you have some way of demonstrating that the apostles were outside the Church, I don't see what Acts 4:32-35 does for your argument.

. .  And now, 4[list]
KunleOshob:

Are you for real?  shocked [size=16pt]acts 4:32-35 clearly demonstrates the essense of giving in the church[/size] and my dear it did not expressly state to "help those who preach" which you tried to smuggle in.
[/list]

I just can't laugh enough, Kunle. If you have come back now to say that Acts 4:32-35 was about giving in Church, what have you done to your own argument? Rather than disagree, are you not agreeing with me? Do you have a special talent for confusing yourself until you come round to agree with what you have argued against? grin cheesy   This one is classic with you!!
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 3:58pm On May 25, 2009
@Pilgrim.1
As usual you continue to demonstrate not only your poor understanding of the scriptures you also choose to be deliberately selective whilst attempting to quote me out of context, but let me remind you that there are others on this forum most of whom are quite intelligent who understand the issues being raised here. With that in mind i repeat my assertion that the giving in Acts 4 was ultimately meant for the needy and not the preachers[instituition], it further butresses what i have always said that christian giving is more about giving to the needy. In the case of this passage the chrurch was just used as a conduit to collect and distribute the gifts to the needy the money was not meant for an "instituitionalized church" like we have today it was meant for poor believers who are part of what make up the church in those days. You as a christian [i assume you are one] should be genuienly worried that the proceeds of collections amongst believers is not being used according to the biblical directives. You should stop trying to justify what is wrong just becos that is what your pastor taught you.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:11pm On May 25, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1
As usual you continue to demonstrate not only your poor understanding of the scriptures you also choose to be deliberately selective whilst attempting to quote me out of context, but let me remind you that there are others on this forum most of whom are quite intelligent who understand the issues being raised here.

Kunle, please be man enough to discuss and hold your own tuff - this constant appeal to applause from others is the language of losers, and you keep pulling off that hat-trick.

KunleOshob:

With that in mind i repeat my assertion that the giving in Acts 4 was ultimately meant for the needy and not the preachers[instituition], it further butresses what i have always said that christian giving is more about giving to the needy.

Sorry, did you not try to play your own game by quoting me out of context? Just because i roundly ignored that game you pulled there does not mean I didn't see it at first. When I discussed Acts 4:32-35, I made clear that it was "only underscoring the very fact of giving in church", I didn't narrow it down to your allegation that it was addressing giving to preachers. But you dribbled in the canard that I implied it for the latter where that was not the case, and which I subsequently ignored as inconsequential.

KunleOshob:

In the case of this passage the chrurch was just used as a conduit to collect and distribute the gifts to the needy the money was not meant for an "instituitionalized church" like we have today it was meant for poor believers who are part of what make up the church in those days.

Please maintain your focus - I have not been discussing any so-called "institutional church" with you. I notice you often resort to that glib as first-aid when you begin to argue away from the initial point in a discussion. The basic point was and has always been about GIVING IN CHURCH - and the references cited were pointing to that same thing which you had several times used in accusing others inconsistently. If Acts 4:32-35 was not about giving in Church, what does your latest excuse matter, when you have only returned to agree that it does so?

KunleOshob:

You as a christian [i assume you are one]

Losers often do this - question if others are 'Christians' when they are tired of reasoning.

KunleOshob:

You as a christian [i assume you are one] should be genuienly worried that the proceeds of collections amongst believers is not being used according to the biblical directives.

As a believer, I'm genuinely concerned about your constant dribbling in asserting one thing and then struggling to come round to agree with your initial denials.

KunleOshob:

You should stop trying to justify what is wrong just becos that is what your pastor taught you.

Take your advice - you should stop trying to justify your fallacies and pretend to be saying the same thing while confusing yourself.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:39pm On May 25, 2009
As usual you pick out trivialities and twist facts whilst playing with words in trying to buttress your hallucinations.That apart you take delight in ignoring the very obvious truths whilst taking cheap pot shots at others who are trying to help you understand the truth of the word of God [without charging you for it like others do grin]
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 4:42pm On May 25, 2009
Pilgrim and kunle, both of you saying same thing here.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by solosimple(m): 4:47pm On May 25, 2009
I expect both of them to drop the issue 'cos it seems they have different intentions.
When discussion like this turns into argument and misuse of words against one another, the wise thing to do is to drop the issue.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:55pm On May 25, 2009
segyemaro:

Thank you, segyemaro. Indeed, that was the plain point I already made to him earlier:

pilgrim.1:

If you have come back now to say that Acts 4:32-35 was about giving in Church, what have you done to your own argument? Rather than disagree, are you not agreeing with me?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by JJYOU: 4:56pm On May 25, 2009
segyemaro:

u and everyone that dont have argumentative spirit will see but never saint kunle.  he wants God to make all churches and pastors poor to validate his warped and loveless form or religiousity.  he is the only christian in town.  we are all going to hell cos we gave to a church that dont understand his bible.

someone sang heaven holds a secret that only time will ever tell.

if we know and appreciate how good God is, we will forever show our graditude by giving whatever He has liberarily given us. God dont owe us nothing.  He said the cattle on a thousand hills belong to Him so if He was hungry He wont be asking us.

it is always a priviledge to give we all came empty so lets learn to give and hold onto whatever He gave us lightly.
KunleOshob:

As usual you pick out trivialities and twist facts whilst playing with words in trying to buttress your hallucinations.That apart you take delight in ignoring the very obvious truths whilst taking cheap pot shots at others who are trying to help you understand the truth of the word of God [without charging you for it like others do grin]  
just register saint kunle baptist church we will all run in bringing our tithes and offerings.
solosimple:

I expect both of them to drop the issue 'cos it seems they have different intentions.
When discussion like this turns into argument and misuse of words against one another, the wise thing to do is to drop the issue.
solosimple:

go over naura land and search for tithes, offerings, pastors and church and see kunle at work
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 5:03pm On May 25, 2009
solosimple:

You don't make such sweeping generalizations.

JJYOU:

go over naura land and search for tithes, offerings, pastors and church and see kunle at work
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 6:21pm On May 25, 2009
Its good to give but i dont subscribe to tithe cos its not biblical.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 6:54pm On May 25, 2009
segyemaro:

Its good to give but i dont subscribe to tithe cos its not biblical.

Please you guys should understand what you're saying before clicking on the 'reply' botton. You don't subscribe to tithe because it's not taught in your Bible, or because you can't find it in your Bible? What do you mean by "not biblical"?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 7:06pm On May 25, 2009
I think its time for us to have our arguement. Can you tell me where Jesus spoke on tithe or what the new testament says on tithe. Pls dont bother to make reference to mal:3-8,cos it has no meaning as far as i am concern. I will not practise anything outside d bible.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 7:28pm On May 25, 2009
segyemaro:

I think its time for us to have our arguement.

I'm not out to start an argument with you nor anyone else. Often times you guys shout for argument and can't stand to finish it. If you're up to task, let's rather discuss, thank you.

segyemaro:

Can you tell me where Jesus spoke on tithe or what the new testament says on tithe.

Do I take that to mean you have never read in the Bible where Jesus spoke about tithes? Please just let me know.

segyemaro:

Pls dont bother to make reference to mal:3-8,cos it has no meaning as far as i am concern.

You're already throwing in the towel before we even begin. grin

segyemaro:
I will not practise anything outside d bible.

Sorry - you're the first person to say that tithe is "not biblical" - if we show you that it's in your Bible, will you still be able to maintain that you can't practise anything outside the Bible? Tithes is INSIDE your Bible - go open it and study first before asking for an argument. grin
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 8:48pm On May 25, 2009
You ve not answered my question on whether Jesus spoke on tithe and were his disciples encouraged tithe paying?why i said i dont want any reference from mal 3:8 is that,that is were you would want to refer to,and it has nothing to do with me.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 11:07pm On May 25, 2009
segyemaro:

You ve not answered my question on whether Jesus spoke on tithe and were his disciples encouraged tithe paying?

I asked you a simple question for starters:
"Do I take that to mean you have never read in the Bible
where Jesus spoke about tithes?"
Did you answer that question? If you have never read where in the Bible He spoke about tithes, is it any wonder that you said it is "not Biblical"?

segyemaro:

why i said i dont want any reference from mal 3:8 is that,that is were you would want to refer to,and it has nothing to do with me.

You're very funny. I've not even quoted any verse and you're already scared? You really have nothing to say, so save your panic.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by chidichris(m): 10:59am On May 26, 2009
This is not only blasphemous, it is highly unbiblical. How can you say mere mortals are representing GOD. Better think again, most of them are not doing God's work they are only serving themselves if they were they would be spending most of the churches income on taking care of the poor as was directed in the bible and practised by the apostles

KUNLE,
it is not a good thing for one to claim of knowing it all in his bid to disqualify men of God. the big question here is; are there real men of God? if the answer is yes, who are they?
reading the bible from chapter one to the last verse is not it all but always ask the spirit of God to guide and interprete the bible to you whenever you read.
it is biblical that while Jesus was leaving, he gave out powers to his disciples, and he said, whatsoever u bind here on earth will be binded in heaven, whosever you forgive will be forgiven and whatsoever you lose here on earth will be loosed in heaven.
in the bible also, a man of God healed a sick man who came back with thanksgiven but he rejected the thanksgiven which his servan went behind him and took lying that the man of God had sent him. the man of God coursed him with that same sickness he healed the other man.
we must learn how condem men of God because it is written that no weapon fashioned against the children of God will prospare and every tongue that is raised against the children of God must be condemed.
since you have read all the bible, i would want to remind you of the content of Luke 18: 9 - 14.
remember, man's wisdom is like foolishness unto God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should A Christian Hotelier Allow Unmarried Couples To Lodge In A Room? / Shocking Facts About Jehovah's Witnesses Founder (A Must Read) / Then Names Professionals Call Jesus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.