Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,372 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Is Thanksgiving Biblical? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Thanksgiving Biblical? (6649 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Is Thanksgiving Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 11:33am On May 26, 2009
segyemaro:

You ve not answered my question on whether Jesus spoke on tithe and were his disciples encouraged tithe paying?why i said i dont want any reference from mal 3:8 is that,that is were you would want to refer to,and it has nothing to do with me.
I think the question you should asking here is : How does the bible define tithes and how was it practised then? Also does the mode, definition and practise of tithing today have any sound biblical basis in christianity? Was it taught to christians by Jesus or the Apostles?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 11:37am On May 26, 2009
KunleOshob:

I think the question you should asking here is : How does the bible define tithes and how was it practised then? Also does the mode, definition and practise of tithing today have any sound biblical basis in christianity? Was it taught to christians by Jesus or the Apostles?

After all said and done, you agreed that tithing is "perfectly okay" for Christians, on condition that they know what they are doing. That "perfectly okay" did not assume any of the matters above.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by ajokeakin: 11:41am On May 26, 2009
pilgrim.1:

I asked you a simple question for starters:
"Do I take that to mean you have never read in the Bible
where Jesus spoke about tithes?"
Did you answer that question? If you have never read where in the Bible He spoke about tithes, is it any wonder that you said it is "not Biblical"?

You're very funny. I've not even quoted any verse and you're already scared? You really have nothing to say, so save your panic.
pilgrim,i think you are the one confusing everyone here. if you have your proof that Jesus Christ spoke on tithe,pls makle it known because i also wants to know because i am yet to see were Jesus spoke on Tithe. i am yet to see were Jesus spoke on tithe,if you can prove it,then go ahead.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 3:27pm On May 26, 2009
Kunle,we are saying thesame thing. I asked pilgrim to tell me were Jesus and His disciples taught christains on tithing,and to also back it up with relevant scriptures.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by chidichris(m): 4:08pm On May 26, 2009
is tithe about the bible or about Jesus?
if you want to know about tithe, read lev 27:30-32
you can also read malachi 3:8
most topics here are designed to condem the churches and the men of God so whose interests are we here to protect?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:15pm On May 26, 2009
ajokeakin:

pilgrim,i think you are the one confusing everyone here. if you have your proof that Jesus Christ spoke on tithe,pls makle it known because i also wants to know because i am yet to see were Jesus spoke on Tithe. i am yet to see were Jesus spoke on tithe,if you can prove it,then go ahead.

You guys should read your Bible before making such ignorant statements in public. It is one thing to ask about whether or not Jesus spoke on tithe; quite another to understand what He meant by it. So ajokeakin, please be well informed before making such vacant statements: I didn't expect you would start out accusing me of confusing anybody if you have never read in the Bible where Jesus indeed spoke on tithe. See:

Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42. Did Jesus speak on tithes or not?

segyemaro:

Kunle,we are saying thesame thing. I asked pilgrim to tell me were Jesus and His disciples taught christains on tithing,and to also back it up with relevant scriptures.

@segyemaro,
You're shifting your goal post ever so often -

~ first, it was tithe is "not biblical";

~ second, it was about "where Jesus spoke on tithe"

~ also, you cannot practise what is "outside the Bible";

~ and now, it has become where Jesus and His disciples taught Christians on tithing.

So, if one shows you that tithe is in your Bible, and that Jesus actually spoke on tithe, and shows you that tithe is not outside your Bible, what would you do? You throw words carelessly around and end up with nothing - which was why I initially said you should understand what you're saying before drawing conclusions.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:19pm On May 26, 2009
chidichris:

is tithe about the bible or about Jesus?
most topics here are designed to condem the churches and the men of God so whose interests are we here to protect?

This is what has been observed by several careful readers; and you already took time to highlight this point. One wonders if some other discussants are careful enough to grasp what they are saying before making vacant statements.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by sosisi(f): 4:23pm On May 26, 2009
I wonder why people insist on making Christianity complicated when our Lord and savior says his yoke is easy.
na wa
My sister no matter what you say,there'll be another thread like it tomorrow.
someone would soon ask if it's Biblical to drink fanta since Christ never drank fanta.

pilgrim.1:

You guys should read your Bible before making such ignorant statements in public. It is one thing to ask about whether or not Jesus spoke on tithe; quite another to understand what He meant by it. So ajokeakin, please be well informed before making such vacant statements: I didn't expect you would start out accusing me of confusing anybody if you have never read in the Bible where Jesus indeed spoke on tithe. See:

@segyemaro,

~ and now, it has become where Jesus and His disciples taught Christians on tithing.

So, if one shows you that tithe is in your Bible, and that Jesus actually spoke on tithe, and shows you that tithe is not outside your Bible, what would you do? You throw words carelessly around and end up with nothing - which was why I initially said you should understand what you're saying before drawing conclusions.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:29pm On May 26, 2009
$osisi:

I wonder why people insist on making Christianity complicated when our Lord and savior says his yoke is easy.
na wa

someone would soon ask if it's Biblical to drink fanta since Christ never drank fanta.

GBAM! grin You just make me scatter laff dis afternoon!

________

Kai, make I edit:
Yours is classic and summarises efry-tin for us. Since Christ did not "spoke" about Fanta, it is surely "not biblical", abi? Okay, please show me where Jesus "spoke" about fanta-ing! Because, if you no show me today, I cannot practise wetin dey outside Bible, no be so? grin cheesy

How body? Abeg enjoy plenty o jare.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 4:44pm On May 26, 2009
$osisi:

I wonder why people insist on making Christianity complicated when our Lord and savior says his [b]yoke is easy.
na wa[/b]

Examples of such yokes include tithes, thanksgiving offering, seed sowing, first fruit,prayer offerings, and all sorts of other scams thses so called men of God come up with to fleece the congregation.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 5:40pm On May 26, 2009
Pilgrim,i hope yov ve read ur bible carefuly. The following passages you quoted from Luke and matt 23:23, Jesus was not talking or encouraging anyone to give tithe. He was only challanging the hypocrites that give tenth of their spices and negleted justice, mercy, faithfulness and love of God. From these two chapters you quoted they are saying thesame thing. What God expects from us is the Love of God, and Jesus never encouraged tithing in those chapters,so stop decieving people. Even the old testament that encourages tithing said in Deu 14:22-end,that the tithe belongs to you and your family, that you should eat your tithe with your family were the Lord will show you and you must not forget the widows,the orphans&the poor around you. So you do yourself a favour and read your bible carefuly.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by flexystar(f): 5:45pm On May 26, 2009
segyemaro:

Pilgrim,i hope yov ve read ur bible carefuly. The following passages you quoted from Luke and matt 23:23, Jesus was not talking or encouraging anyone to give tithe. He was only challanging the hypocrites that give tenth of their spices and negleted justice, mercy, faithfulness and love of God. From these two chapters you quoted they are saying thesame thing. What God expects from us is the  Love of God, and Jesus never encouraged tithing in those chapters,so stop decieving people. Even the old testament that encourages tithing said in Deu 14:22-end,that the tithe belongs to you and your family, that you should eat your tithe with your family were the Lord will show you and you must not forget the widows,the orphans&the poor around you. So you do yourself a favour and read your bible carefuly.

gban u don hearam
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 5:54pm On May 26, 2009
KunleOshob:

Examples of such yokes include tithes, thanksgiving offering, seed sowing, first fruit,prayer offerings, and all sorts of other scams thses so called men of God come up with to fleece the congregation.

So, in your theology, "sowing" is actually a scam? "First fruit" is also a scam? Something is just disturbing you. grin
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 6:16pm On May 26, 2009
segyemaro:

Pilgrim,i hope yov ve read ur bible carefuly.

I've read my Bible enough to avoid making ignorant statements that are continously goal-shifting as in your initial statements.

segyemaro:
The following passages you quoted from Luke and matt 23:23, Jesus was not talking or encouraging anyone to give tithe. He was only challanging the hypocrites that give tenth of their spices and negleted justice, mercy, faithfulness and love of God.

So, now you actually have to admit that Jesus "spoke" about tithe, abi? You should have maintained that He never spoke about it, as in your initial assumption. It is one thing to know that He spoke about it, quite another thing to try and understand what He meant. But denying that He spoke about it is simply a non-starter.

segyemaro:

From these two chapters you quoted they are saying thesame thing.

I know, and they were quoted to show you that:

~ it (tithe) is NOT "outside" your Bible;

~ Jesus spoke about it

~ you cannot assert that it is "not Biblical"

If you learn to carefully weigh your assumptions and reason issues out carefully, you would not have been repeating the same fallacies several times.

segyemaro:

What God expects from us is the Love of God, and Jesus never encouraged tithing in those chapters,so stop decieving people.

I wasn't deceiving anybody - and your statement here is false and very misleading. Jesus spoke, not only about the love of God, but also about tithe in an affirming manner, when He said: "these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (KJV); or, as the NLT renders that verse: "You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things." How come only in your misplaced theology you're asserting what you really have no clue about and making out that He "never encouraged tithing"?

By the way, segyemaro, you're a very funny personality. Are you not the same fellow sometime ago on this same issue that narrated how one of your pastor friends was "directed" by the Holy Spirit to give his tithes to an akara woman? If tithe was "not biblical" as you're making out, can you tell us how the Holy Spirit could be directing your pastor friend to give tithe to someone?

segyemaro:

Even the old testament that encourages tithing said in Deu 14:22-end,that the tithe belongs to you and your family, that you should eat your tithe with your family were the Lord will show you and you must not forget the widows,the orphans&the poor around you. So you do yourself a favour and read your bible carefuly.

hahahaha. . , hha! I no fit laugh! grin grin  You who have read your own Bible assume that is the only thing in the Bible about tithes, no be so? I thought you were arguing as if it was "outside" your Bible? Then why are you quoting Deuteronomy 14? You too funny, dear sir. Go through your Bible, and you will find that the tithes was not only for the poor, but for those who were called of God to minister to His people (Numbers 18 for starters). Malachi 3 does not ask you to eat the tithe with your family, does it? You don forget that one as well?

Do wetin dey your mind, it won't hurt you or anyone else. But to be so selective and keep shifting your goal post does not help either you or your adulators. Shalom.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by sosisi(f): 6:24pm On May 26, 2009
pilgrim.1:

So, in your theology, "sowing" is actually a scam? "First fruit" is also a scam? Something is just disturbing you. grin

Kunleoshob is not a Christian.
He is a Christian critic who has all the answers to what's plaguing Christianity
He knows it all with all the spirit of pride accompanying
Leave him to God, let God deal with him as he pleases.
As you can see he has ready answers to everything.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by sosisi(f): 6:31pm On May 26, 2009
KunleOshob:

The Bible talks about deceitful people like you who have crept into the fold for the purpose of deceiving the people of God.
Very bitter human you are,it's all over your posts on this forum and you cannot be speaking by the Spirit of God
I recognised it a few months after you joined nairaland and many have too.
It's obvious your mind is reprobate but I pray that God in his infinite mercies have pity on you.
If you refuse to repent, you will reap the fruits of all the innocent folks who want to serve God in Sprit and truth but somehow they came across you and became deceived by your "form of Christianity"
The Christians on this forum ought to ignore you.
Let God who made you deal with you in his own way.
I do not call you brother.

I pray that I never get to that place like you where I feel like I know everything there is to know about God and the workings of His Spirit.
Daily, may the Lord teach me and make me amenable to learning of him because there's so much of Him and so little of me
That is my prayer and I hope the prayer of everyone who wants to serve God with that heart of a child that Christ talks about.
Amen!
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by KunleOshob(m): 11:53am On May 27, 2009
$osisi:

Kunleoshob is not a Christian.
He is a Christian critic who has all the answers to what's plaguing Christianity
He knows it all with all the spirit of pride accompanying
Leave him to God, let God deal with him as he pleases.
As you can see he has ready answers to everything.

On the contrary i am a very devout God fearing christian who as discovered the truth of the true gospel of Christ which is very contrary to the false indoctrination that is being bandied about by most churches today. I really do pity those of you that claim to be "born again" christains in all these charlatan pentecostal churches. The truth is that most of you don't have the love of christ[which is the most basic and compulsary requirement for being a christian] in you yet you claim to be christians. I preach love for fellow men and help for the needy which is what christ taught yet you say i am not a christian and it is those charlatans that preach tithes and seed sowing which christ NEVER taught that you consider as christians, may God forgive you.

PS: I hope you know being a christian means being christ like. Chrisitanity is certainly not the indoctrination going on in the thousands of unordained denominations we have all over the world today.

pilgrim.1:

I call it a scam because the way the bible actually defines and executes it is totally different from the way it is being preached today. obviously you knowthe best way to tell a lie is to present the truth and manipulate it to confuse others.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 1:18pm On May 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

PS: I hope you know being a christian means being christ like.

Kunle, being Christ-like has nothing to do with the kind of pseudo-spirituality you banter around. Those who love you the most will tell you this, like it or not. It costs nothing and hurts you nothing to be humble, even when you make mistakes - I've been there before and out, and find it easier to consider good advice from fellow Christians now. If several people are bearing the same concerns about your attitude, you ought to know that something is seriously wrong there.

KunleOshob:

I call it a scam because the way the bible actually defines and executes it is totally different from the way it is being preached today.

This is usually your excuse - and it has become cowardly and cheap. The question was simple:
            "sowing" is actually a scam? "First fruit" is also a scam?
You named those things and identified them as scams - the Bible does not call them scams. When you drive yourself to such warped mentality, don't come back covering up with such otiose excuses. All you needed to say is a simple 'No, they are not scams'. Please refrain from circulating mountains of excuses on this subject.

KunleOshob:

obviously you knowthe best way to tell a lie is to present the truth and manipulate it to confuse others.

That's precisely what you've been doing - just as you called those things scams when the Bible does not do so.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 2:47pm On May 27, 2009
Hmmmm,
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by topeokunol: 5:54pm On May 28, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@segyemaro,

pilgrim,you are just confusing everybody here,there is no place in the bible were Jesus or his disciples preached on tithe. The place you quoted above was an illustration by Jesus to those unbelievers that are wicked and tend to give 10% to God,so he never emphasize on it,so if you dont have anything to say,keep quite and stop confusing us.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 6:17pm On May 28, 2009
topeokunol:

pilgrim,you are just confusing everybody here,there is no place in the bible were Jesus or his disciples preached on tithe. The place you quoted above was an illustration by Jesus to those unbelievers that are wicked and tend to give 10% to God,so he never emphasize on it,so if you dont have anything to say,keep quite and stop confusing us.

@topeokunol,

Hello. I have things to say and have had my say on tithes. If you have problems with what you read, that's your personal problem. But I assume you have no clue what you're saying, which is why you're sounding confused. But let me leave you with an easier-to-digest version on Matthew 23:23:
'What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees.
             Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from
             your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the
             law—justice, mercy, and faith.

[size=14pt]You should tithe, yes,[/size]
             but do not neglect the more important things.'
             [~~ NLT Version]

Did you say there is no place where Jesus ever preached on tithe? Read above and sort out your problem.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 9:22pm On May 28, 2009
Hmmm pilgrim hope you know what you are saying.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 9:58pm On May 28, 2009
segyemaro:

Hmmm pilgrim hope you know what you are saying.

I guess so. . . do you have something to share? smiley
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by marvisjoy: 5:26pm On May 29, 2009
pilgrim,you better find something elase to do if you dont have anything to do.Jesus never lay emphasis on Tithe in both scripture you quoted,so stop decieving people here.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 5:32pm On May 29, 2009
marvis joy:

pilgrim,you better find something elase to do if you dont have anything to do.Jesus never lay emphasis on Tithe in both scripture you quoted,so stop decieving people here.
You anti-tithers are a sorry lot! You have become so boring that the best you can do is make some silly, lazy noise and duck behind your PCs. If you can't read, simply say so. if on the other hand you have anything intelligent to say, please say on and end this boring drama.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by eghosaobas: 5:50pm On May 29, 2009
pilgrim,you again,na were you dey self?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 6:02pm On May 29, 2009
eghosaobas:

pilgrim,you again,na were you dey self?

Bros, how far? cheesy I don return for a while now to 'base' (I dey do some kain project - Juniper) at the mo. . . until after summer. Wetin dey? Shé make we meet up. . . abi you get anoda 'arrangement'?
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by eghosaobas: 6:08pm On May 29, 2009
pilgrim,i nor dey for any arrangement oooo,wetin i mean say,you dey confuse all of us,abeg tell me about tith and its significant
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 6:14pm On May 29, 2009
No wahala. What's different from what I've discussed in other threads? Maybe when you read through, there might be some issues you'd like to highlight - then we can discuss more. Abi? wink
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by eghosaobas: 6:23pm On May 29, 2009
i have read through,you have not be able to butress your point enough to convince me
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 8:28pm On May 29, 2009
eghosaobas:

i have read through,you have not be able to butress your point enough to convince me

Lol, no wahala sir. cheesy I have not seen you or anyone pointing out where their own points are quite as convincing.
Re: Is Thanksgiving Biblical? by segyemaro(m): 6:45pm On May 31, 2009
segyemaro:

Pilgrim,i hope yov ve read ur bible carefuly. The following passages you quoted from Luke and matt 23:23, Jesus was not talking or encouraging anyone to give tithe. He was only challanging the hypocrites that give tenth of their spices and negleted justice, mercy, faithfulness and love of God. From these two chapters you quoted they are saying thesame thing. What God expects from us is the Love of God, and Jesus never encouraged tithing in those chapters,so stop decieving people. Even the old testament that encourages tithing said in Deu 14:22-end,that the tithe belongs to you and your family, that you should eat your tithe with your family were the Lord will show you and you must not forget the widows,the orphans&the poor around you. So you do yourself a favour and read your bible carefuly.
pilgrim,i am still waiting for your respond to this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Then Names Professionals Call Jesus. / Where Is Whitney Houston Now? Heaven Or Hell? / Is House On The Rock A Secret Cult???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.