Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. (25735 Views)

Femi Gbajabiamila Wins APC Mock Poll For House Of Reps Speaker / Card Readers: INEC To Hold Mock Elections In 12 States / Nigerian Senate Express Confidence In Jega, INEC; Okay Card Readers For Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by freshness2020: 7:19am On Mar 08, 2015
GOD HELP US.....and jega said "we are ready"
undecided

5 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Nobody: 7:20am On Mar 08, 2015
Looks like Nigeria is not ready for a modern election.

Thanks PDP.

Modified....

Basically, if PDP had made funding INEC a big priority....and had made Jega get the money and materials he needed on time.....and if PDP had allowed us have light permanently.....then we won't be having issues with PVC.

If this election is flawed....PDP better not complain. They could have made things work better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by zicoraads: 7:20am On Mar 08, 2015
There was always going to be minor hitches. But I believe they would be corrected before the actual polls. But what if the elections went ahead as scheduled? What if there was no postponement? I can't imagine the embarrassment that would have trailed the use of these cards. INEC was never ready for Feb. 14th. Jega was just scared to say so. The security chiefs gave him a perfect excuse to get his house in order. Hopefully this opportunity wouldn't pass him by. I wish him the best!

7 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by personal59: 7:21am On Mar 08, 2015
Lol
Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Osas11: 7:25am On Mar 08, 2015
Inec should do the needful and not to confuse nigerians

1 Like

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:25am On Mar 08, 2015
Every new technology has its flaws. The purpose of the mock election is to make INEC to note these flaws and to improve on them before the dates of election.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by vanunu: 7:27am On Mar 08, 2015
This has proved that APC members are senseless people.

14 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 08, 2015
I am concerned over what would have happened if the elections were conducted on February 14th with all these errors.

6 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Codedworld1: 7:28am On Mar 08, 2015
PDP and there propaganda. your station AIT said it was 90% Successful. fraud and corruption should be the party slogan.

1 Like

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by zicoraads: 7:28am On Mar 08, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Looks like Nigeria is not ready for a modern election.

Thanks PDP.

Modified....

Basically, if PDP had made funding INEC a big priority....and had made Jega get the money and materials he needed on time.....and if PDP had allowed us have light permanently.....then we won't be having issues with PVC.

If this election is flawed....PDP better not complain. They could have made things work better.
Jega sought for and got every dime he asked for from the Presidency. Some of us make statements that are unfounded. Did you check INECs funding before making this statement? Jega has never complained about shortages of funds.

11 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 08, 2015
vanunu:
This has proved that APC members are senseless people.
vfactor:
I am concerned over what would have happened if the elections were conducted on February 14th with all these errors.

I guess Jega was worried about precipitating a constitutional crisis if he postponed the elections.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Iceathome(m): 7:29am On Mar 08, 2015
Jega messed up big time. He should just resign or face more problem

6 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by PassingShot(m): 7:29am On Mar 08, 2015
The use of the card reader at this moment is the only way we can bring credibility into our elections.

It may not be perfect now but we have to start somewhere so as to attain perfection. Perfection is not achieved at the first attempt or at the beginning of any new venture.

Lapses recorded during the test run will be worked on before March 28 which means we can expect improved performance during the elections.

However, if INEC is unable to fix the problems observed during this test run before the March election, then the card reader should be dropped for future elections.

There could also be another arrangement to verify those who cannot be verified with the card reader. In that case, only when the card reader has failed to verify a voter should such alternative arrangement be used. This will ensure that no electorate is disenfranchised at the poll for no fault of his.

Funny enough, if the card readers fail on the election day especially in the north as it did in Kano, APC/Buhari stand to lose large chunk of their votes. Yet, they are the ones pushing for the use of it and that goes to tell you their level of confidence and preparedness.

Only those with sinister plans kick against the card reader.

7 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by upmanagers: 7:31am On Mar 08, 2015
D truth is dat der is no perfect system d use of pvc has more flaws in terms of accountability,card readers ur better where they can't have more than 20percent flaws dat can be corrected with generators and reserve batteries,the use of pvc has 85 percent flaws wher ballot boxes are stolen and ballot papers reprinted and can easily result to confusion and chaos
Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by OLADD: 7:31am On Mar 08, 2015
WisdomFlakes:
Card Reader is the game-changer of this upcoming elections as rigging will be effectively mitigated.

Anyone or party that is against its use is an enemy of progress. In fact, GEJ should be the one at the forefront of championing its use since he claims he will use I.T to 'fight' corruption cheesy. Rigging is a manifestation of corruption.

Card Readers are here to stay. Whatever flaws it recorded during the mockup can be corrected before March 28 - that was the objective of the mockup.

The real enemies of Nigeria are challatans like you who reason with their bossom. Nobody is against the use of Card Readers but its effectiveness and if care is not taken, the devise will mar the elections. Are you so daft not to see part of the reports that talks about its lapses? What gives you the impression that such deficiencies will be corrected in less than 20 days from now? Why were those errors not rectified over 1 and a half years ago. Try to reason like an intelletual instead of behaving like robbots.

6 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 08, 2015
zicoraads:
Jega sought for and got every dime he asked for from the Presidency. Some of us make statements that are unfounded. Did you check INECs funding before making this statement? Jega has never complained about shortages of funds.

You might just be right.

Still.....if Govt had made a free and fair elections more of a priority....

And INEC was not funded well in 2012, and 2013...

Strikingly, both the Presidency and the National Assembly contributed in weakening the functioning of INEC. In June 2014, Jega raised the alarm that the 2015 elections might be jeopardised by paucity of funds because of the style the Presidency was using to fund the commission and the lack of sufficient appropriation from the National Assembly.
In his words, “In 2012 and 2013, the funding declined. As I speak with you, there are funding gaps to do the 2015 elections. But I know Mr. President and National Assembly are doing their very best to address the funding gaps. There is appropriation challenge. Ideally, when we say INEC is independent, we should do everything possible to make it really independent.”
Of course, the relevant authorities ignored the alarm, and the result was what we witnessed.
It is a measure of institutional weakness, a distinctive feature of a failing state, that INEC could not meet its critical milestones set over a year ago resulting in its inability to hold scheduled elections this month.
-

See more at: http://radarpapers.com/inec-and-burden-of-institutional-weakness/#sthash.89O8D43O.dpuf

1 Like

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by zicoraads: 7:32am On Mar 08, 2015
freshness2020:
GOD HELP US.....and jega said "we are ready"
undecided
Jega lied. INEC was never ready.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by tonquendo4u(m): 7:32am On Mar 08, 2015
WisdomFlakes:
Card Reader is the game-changer of this upcoming elections as rigging will be effectively mitigated.

Anyone or party that is against its use is an enemy of progress. In fact, GEJ should be the one at the forefront of championing its use since he claims he will use I.T to 'fight' corruption cheesy. Rigging is a manifestation of corruption.

Card Readers are here to stay. Whatever flaws it recorded during the mockup can be corrected before March 28 - that was the objective of the mockup.
it can't work.Jega had four yrs to prepare for dis election. He knew he was going to use pVC n card readers and he just started introducing dem few months ago. Had it bn d elections were conducted on Feb 14th,is dis what d card readers would hv done?Dont politicise dis but it's a failure on jega's part.he has failed.
Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 08, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I guess Jega was worried about precipitating a constitutional crisis if he postponed the elections.

A constitutional crises? Elections have been postponed before....this is not the first time. February 14th was too short a time. Its better to wait and do it well than hurriedly do it wrong and cause more problem. You how many election petitions and tribunals would have instituted?

1 Like

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by onatisi(m): 7:33am On Mar 08, 2015
myhoodlink:
My candid advise is for the Prof to tender his resignation letter since he has played into the hands of both parties. May God help Nigeria.
thank you,most of the dummmb ediots supporting this reader stuff don't know what they are talking about. It is obvious many of them are underage and they don't vote so they don't know the tension at polling units during elections ,ppl should forget all these mock test jargons ,on election day it will be a different matter. Jega is risking the lives of inec staff and officials who will be posted to use these so called readers with tensed up voters in highly charged tensed environment while jega will be in his fully ac office. If the card readers start rejecting ppl ,voters won't take kindly to it and I am sure buhari cows may even start killing ppl again .I am sure midway into the elections the idea and card reader will be put aside if its wahala becomes too much. These card readers should have been used during ekiti and osun elections. We are going to witness a lot of legal cases after this elections which will arise due to the usage of this readers. Yes jega has failed woefully and he should just resign .

5 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by mekstaniac(m): 7:34am On Mar 08, 2015
Always trying to pull technological stunts even when we know we're far from ready

2 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by gsainttrinity(m): 7:34am On Mar 08, 2015
I think i should leave a comment here so who knows it might help.

My younger sibling serve as a corper in the north ''BATCH B" and during the registration according to him, many within his 'Area of operation' where little enlightened and insisted that he used his finger prints as many of them never considered it important. In other cases many underaged was forced on to be registered.

I think the fault started from point of registration in this regard.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Pennywise(m): 7:35am On Mar 08, 2015
Corruption-high and low killed the deployment of digital Phcn meters. Now it is about to truncate digital card reading for the most important election in Nigerian history. Jega should make sure this doesn't happen even if it means bringing in Ghanaians.

No more dubious thumb printing of thousands even millions of ballots in a small air-conditioned room. Anenih/Jonathan's PDP is finished.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by naijanaso: 7:35am On Mar 08, 2015
agabusta:
The PDP is at it again emphasising the little flaws that was recorded.

Either they like it or not, we'll send them parking from Aso villa.

It is time honest and people of integrity steer the affairs of this country.

GMB/PYO!

Na wa oh. I thought you should even thank the pdp for pushing hard that the card readers must go through mock testing and. satisfactory certification. You remember that INEC said the card readers will work for a minimum of 12hrs before the batteries start draining. If the test was not done would we have found that they barely lasted 4hrs? Again, from this report we have seen that it couldn't read all biometrics especially those from the north. So how would they have voted? That would have been another crises on its own because political parties would be saying their loyalists were disenfranchised.
My stake is we should commend good ideas irrespective of who the advocate or proponent is.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Mayorking07: 7:35am On Mar 08, 2015
Na wa for our politician
Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Nobody: 7:36am On Mar 08, 2015
policwetwre:

[color=#990000][size=10pt][fon

This is not an ecchi website.

Take it elsewhere

1 Like

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by Iceathome(m): 7:36am On Mar 08, 2015
Do you know what other 10% means in election. 10% is almost 1million people plus, more a Country in somewhere in Africa and Europe

Codedworld1:
PDP and there propaganda. your station AIT said it was 90% Successful. fraud and corruption should be the party slogan.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by highmood(m): 7:37am On Mar 08, 2015
fkaz:
[size=13pt]This is a great success, kudos to INEC for a well Done job. [/size]
funny guy. Success in that they failed even in the mock election? Thank God this was conducted, Now the words or PDP and other Parties of the unpreparedness of INEC has been vindicated. Its better they get it right than the opposition crying fowl as usual and wasting their money on court cases.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by kentochi(m): 7:38am On Mar 08, 2015
Let them plan for its correction before the D day.

We must move on
Nigeria is too big for this.
Long live Nigeria
Long Live me and you.
Re: INEC Mock Poll Exposes Card Readers’ Flaws. by zicoraads: 7:38am On Mar 08, 2015
bushdoc9919:

You might just be right.

Still.....if Govt had made a free and fair elections more of a priority....

Well, I wouldn't want to comment on the issue of free and fair polls. But to some extent, I believe this gov't did better than OBJ. Apart from Ekiti state, the opposition has won the bulk of elections that have been conducted under Jonathan. Still, there is massive room for improvement. Jonathan is committed to a free and fair polls in Nigeria. What happened in Ekiti (the rigging tape) didn't have the blessing of the President.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode: Nigeria - The Road To Rwanda, 6 Steps To Genocide / Six University Of Calabar Professors Join APC Over Vice Chancellor Contest / Uju Ohanenye: APC Gets First Female Presidential Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.