Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,187 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? (5809 Views)

Cohabitation: A Deadly Trend In Nigeria Tertiary Institutions / Cohabitation Before Marriage, Yes Or No / Cohabitation: Will You Do It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Riskie(f): 5:42pm On Jan 15, 2009
Cohabitation is when two unmarried people decide to live together. It seems to be more common than it was in the past. I know some people that cohabit and they call it a trial marriage. They live together for a few years to see if they are compatible and then if they are they get married. If they aren't then both parties go their separate ways. Some peope are so adamantly against cohabitation but have 1 million children out of wedlock. LOL!

Do you have any experience with cohabitation and what are you opinions about it. Do you think that cohabitation as a trial marriage is valid or is it a waste of time?
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by tangent(f): 6:04pm On Jan 15, 2009
it is a good experiment.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by bluespice(f): 7:19pm On Jan 15, 2009
i wouldnt want to say its good or bad,
but i cant live with say a boyfriend or fiance for any period of time
its just not in me
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by IGWEUSA(m): 7:21pm On Jan 15, 2009
Bad experiment shocked
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Okanran(m): 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2009
IGWE_USA:

Bad experiment shocked

Seconded! Lets face it, guys are wont to take advantage of this kind of situation, leaving the poor babe stranded at the end of the day. Its alright if she sleeps over every now and then but, cohabitaion. . . Abeg, I nor follow! tongue
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by tangent(f): 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2009
bluespice:

i wouldnt want to say its good or bad,
but i cant live with say a boyfriend or fiance for any period of time
its just not in me

there's no hard and fast rule to it. whether a woman cohabitates with her partner or not, the risks of heartbreaks are forever lurking around.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by spikedcylinder: 8:27pm On Jan 15, 2009
Live with a boy? Eeeeeeewwww!!!!
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2009
Okanran:

Seconded! Lets face it, guys are wont to take advantage of this kind of situation, leaving the poor babe stranded at the end of the day. Its alright if she sleeps over every now and then but, cohabitaion. . . Abeg, I nor follow! tongue
So true.
Men, or should I say boys, are becoming more useless as each day pass.

It's better if she gets her place too, she can visit him over the weekend or so. Living with him is a bad bad idea.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2009
Bad bad idea
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by sistawoman: 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2009
Living with a man before marriage is a very very very very very bad idea.

Men get lazy and tend to believe that because we are playing house that is all that is needed.  Who needs to get married when we act like a married couple, is how most men reason.

You can still figure out if this is the person for you by spending the night at thier place or spend a week.  But each person should maintain thier seperate space.

It was fun looking at the way he lived before we married.  I was able to visit him in his own space and he was able to do the same.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by bettes(f): 8:39pm On Jan 15, 2009
I agree it's a bad idea i'm sure it has its advantages,i will definately never do it.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by kushi1: 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2009
Riskie:

Cohabitation is when two unmarried people decide to live together. It seems to be more common than it was in the past. I know some people that cohabit and they call it a trial marriage. They live together for a few years to see if they are compatible and then if they are they get married. If they aren't then both parties go their separate ways. Some peope are so adamantly against cohabitation but have 1 million children out of wedlock. LOL!

Do you have any experience with cohabitation and what are you opinions about it. Do you think that cohabitation as a trial marriage is valid or is it a waste of time?

Sociologically speaking, marriage is waning, the rate of cohabitation has been on the increase and is still increasing.

IMO, I don't see it as a waste of time, 'cause you live as if you really married.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2009
~ku_sh!~:

Sociologically speaking, marriage is waning, the rate of cohabitation has been on the increase and is still increasing.

IMO, I don't see it as a waste of time, 'cause you live as if you really married.

One can practice cohabitation without living together before marriage. Like Sistawoman said, spend a week with him or less.

We're not living with them yet, they already think we're suffocating them.

Some people just need space to think about things before marriage. abi?
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by spikedcylinder: 8:52pm On Jan 15, 2009
For people who don't marriage as much of a big deal, cohabitation works for them. Whats in marriage anyways?

[size=5pt]I sha can't live with a boy, I will kill him if he splashes all over my toilet seat[/size]. tongue
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by DaPhoenix(f): 8:57pm On Jan 15, 2009
He can come sleepover but live. . . no. I don't want his drama after I breakup with him. There's nothing wrong with it, I just won't do it.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Treetop20(m): 8:58pm On Jan 15, 2009
no it does not work
i rather wait until marriage for
the suffocation.
cheesy
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by kushi1: 9:01pm On Jan 15, 2009
Depends on what a person wants, but trust me, I think it'd better to cohabit for sometime not 1week or 2, like 1,2,3 years depends though. . . . considering how difficult it is to get divorce these days and the expenses involved.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by DaPhoenix(f): 9:01pm On Jan 15, 2009
Treetop20:

no it does not work
i rather wait until marriage for
the suffocation.
cheesy

Tell me about it. We have to start cleaning after your sorry asses and doing your month old laundry.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Treetop20(m): 9:03pm On Jan 15, 2009
DaPhoenix:

Tell me about it. We have to start cleaning after your sorry asses and doing your month old laundry.
that is what you all say
but when you lot get into the house
to cook and clean becomes a problem
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by onyinye2(f): 9:04pm On Jan 15, 2009
Treetop20:

that is what you all say

Seriously? Seriously? WOW!
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by DaPhoenix(f): 9:06pm On Jan 15, 2009
Treetop20:

that is what you all say

I'm sorry when the vows were read, I don't recall it asking me to be the cook and/or maid. If you don't know how to cook or clean too bad but my job requires me to travel a lot.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Treetop20(m): 9:07pm On Jan 15, 2009
onyinye2:

Seriously? Seriously? WOW!
why are you shocked?
that is why men need to learn how to cook
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Treetop20(m): 9:08pm On Jan 15, 2009
DaPhoenix:

I'm sorry when the vows were read, I don't recall it asking me to be the cook and/or maid. If you don't know how to cook or clean too bad but my job requires me to travel a lot.
i never asked anyone to be a maid
but a woman is a home maker
i do not mind cleaning and cooking sometimes
but do not sit there and never cook or clean
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 15, 2009
cohabit? NO!!!

If i'm not married to you pls leave once its 10pm . . .
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by DaPhoenix(f): 9:15pm On Jan 15, 2009
Treetop20:

i never asked anyone to be a maid
but a woman is a home maker
i do not mind cleaning and cooking sometimes
but do not sit there and never cook or clean

That's BS. The average woman does that and more but y'all never appreciate it. You couch potatoes watch football all day when you are not at work and somehow expect the house to be clean and food to be on the table waiting for you. Like I said, I don't have time for that now so don't come live with me. I'm too busy partying with my friends.

davidylan:

cohabit? NO!!!

If i'm not married to you pls leave once its 10pm . . .

I know right, my husband is about to be home.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Treetop20(m): 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2009
what kind of men do you hang with
lol couch potatoes? haven't they got jobs?
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by DaPhoenix(f): 9:18pm On Jan 15, 2009
Treetop20:

what kind of men do you hang with
lol couch potatoes? haven't they got jobs?

DaPhoenix:

That's BS. The average woman does that and more but y'all never appreciate it. You couch potatoes watch football all day when you are not at work and somehow expect the house to be clean and food to be on the table waiting for you. Like I said, I don't have time for that now so don't come live with me. I'm too busy partying with my friends.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by KarmaMod(f): 9:19pm On Jan 15, 2009
DaPhoenix:

I know right, my husband is about to be home.

lol grin
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Riskie(f): 9:19pm On Jan 15, 2009
I think cohabitation is not really a good idea. I think that if you give the dude everything for free (without marriage) the situation is not likely to end in a marriage. It would kind of be like well she's cooking for me, cleaning and doing eveything else so why would I waste my money marrying her. Marriage is a trial anyway so I don't really see a  need for a test run.
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Treetop20(m): 9:20pm On Jan 15, 2009
i did not see that bit
this isn't the 19th century though
have food on the table? that's extreme
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by Okanran(m): 9:23pm On Jan 15, 2009
Peeps, I propose a pilot project: lets lock DaPhoenix & Treetop20 up in an apartment for 2 months and see if cohabitaion is really a good idea! grin grin grin
Re: Cohabitation And Trial Marriage. Is It Good Or Bad? by tangent(f): 9:24pm On Jan 15, 2009
i see nothing wrong with cohabitation in my own opinion. staying one weekend, one week or one month is not different to cohabitating.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Would/should U Do If Ur Wife Or Girlfriend Insults U. / Woman Surrounded By Her Exes On Her Birthday (Photos) / Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Shared On Twitter On Her 10th Year Anniversary Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.