Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today (64738 Views)

Bull Wandering On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos Today (Photos) / US Embassy Releases Statement On Nigerian Travel To US / Man Crushed To Death While Crossing Road In Lagos Today (graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by olumuyo: 9:01am On Mar 26, 2015
To the OP, do not be discouraged. I as a person has experienced multiple rejections from the consular officers at the US embassy. Surprisingly, on the day I was given, I did not even say much. The consular simply started from where the interview ended in 4 years earlier.

Believe me this guys are good when they come to keeping records!

They had rejected my visa applications 4 years earlier when myself, my wife and children applied. We just came back form a family UK visit about 6 months earlier so the issues of nothing having to have travelled before was out of the question.

The reason:

My wife had applied along side her father who is a gospel musician to attend a gospel concert in the US. She was not granted visa but her dad was. This was many years before we got married (as a teenager). Then she was bearing her maiden name and not my surname.

When the consular officer asked me if she had applied for a US visa before now I simply said no. Believe me the answer was sincere as that was the first time she would be applying since we got married. I didn't know of any other experience before the question.

At that time the officer just simply said I am sorry the information I have here shows that your wife has applied with her dad in XyZ year to attend a concert in the US. I was stunned and I only managed to say that must be before we got married of which I am not aware. But alas it was too late as I had been ordered to finger print. Please note all questions were directed at me and not my wife.

Note that when my wife did applied in the XYZ year there no technology process of capturing asking the finger prints and her name was not my surname. Her picture would have been different by reason of age and definitely she would have applied using another passport.
So a million dollar question! How were they able to reference my wife's current visa application to the one she did about 20 years ag0?

Success Story:

I reapplied last year after 4 years (Me and my wife this time). When it was our turn. The consular officer just said I could see that you have applied in ABC year and you were denied. I said yes. He also said that you wife had applied before this time to attend a concert in the USA with her dad. I said Yes. What do you do? I am an accountant, I answered. And how much do you earn I told him both before and after tax.
The next thing he said was that I should come for my visa a week after.

The rest is history.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Menace2Society(m): 9:02am On Mar 26, 2015
pendusky:

I am seeing a Nigeria where whites will be applying and turned down just like op for a visit!

Nigeria must be better!

Look at this man!U think say Naija Embassy no dey deny people visa ni?Naija visa hard o and the stamp beautiful sha
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justi4jesu(f): 9:03am On Mar 26, 2015
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by onatisi(m): 9:06am On Mar 26, 2015
dustydee:

I agree that it is discretionary but these things also pay a part. A former colleague of mine was denied because according to the VO he doesn't earn enough money. He work for one of the highest paying government agencies. His pay then was around 200k.
I agree with u . Most likely the way op answered the questions wasn't convincing enough. I always tell people that you must be natural with the story and facts you are presenting.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by SkinnyDude(m): 9:09am On Mar 26, 2015
EroticAngelina:
yeah
yeah!
and you dont know that london is not a country.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by nairaman66(m): 9:11am On Mar 26, 2015
onatisi:
bros ,the guy answered the question accurately without telling stories . It just wasn't his day. I think maybe he was jittery when answering and the vo must have thought he is lying . Apart from that ,there is nothing wrong with his answers but most likely his facial expression and body language could have made the vo to doubt him .

His body language and his facial expression would have played a key role. However, when answering VO's questions.. One needs to be detailed about places of interests and reasons of visiting!

Conclusively, if the OP Had, had other travel experiences especially European nations he would have been granted the visa.. grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Emmahunk(m): 9:14am On Mar 26, 2015
martyns303:

You made great points, but to say the passport doesn't matter is not true. I school in the UK, we spend 6 months in the UK, then 6 months in the US, then come back to the UK. The school processes everything. However there are students from certain countries that always find it difficult acquiring their US visa. Mostly Iraqis, they have to fill out a security form and go through other process. While the British guys don't even break a sweat. You would think it would be easy considering the reputation of the school and having paid almost N60 million in school fees. Now imagine applying as an individual as a cittizen of those countries.

Sure, that is talking about Nations. More the reason we keep saying that some people should stop giving our Country a bad name as it affects our acceptability by other Countries. I would have accepted a comment like 'when will Nigerians begin to be respected' rather than 'the green passport'.
Please be a good ambassador and God bless
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 26, 2015
SkinnyDude:
yeah!
and you dont know that london is not a country.
jeez it was a mistake. london, uk, britain... they are smwhat d same jare. cut me some slack. mtchw

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Bhella5(m): 9:23am On Mar 26, 2015
What cleaning company pay their Manager 180k after tax? My friend I suspect u. But according to Terry G "Ame o ji na f'ese sha lo"
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Emmahunk(m): 9:24am On Mar 26, 2015
xdos:
Sir, my first travel outside naija was to the United States... I wasnt that confident especially when I was asked questions yet I got the VISA. They asked abt my job, places I'll visit when I get there... They didnt even request for much document....

My dear. Immigration Regulations are majorly same the world over.
I only tried to give you the basic guidelines. People have been known to be given or refused visas simply because the vo happened to be in a good /bad mood.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by ttmacoy: 9:29am On Mar 26, 2015
Na so e pain you reach? All because of visa you are praying for their countries to collapse.

You conveniently ignore the fact that it's due Nigerians messing up that has made things this difficult.

You do realise there was a time Nigerians were visa free but you abused the system. Even recently Singapore stopped Nigerians being visa free for same reason.

Why not pray and work hard for Nigeria to be up to par instead and develop a reputation as a country that respects the rule of law and works? That way there is mutual respect it's easier to travel as they know Nigeria is good and they wi return home.

HolyHolla:
I assure that sometime, someday, these Americans and Europeans would be queuing up for visas to Nigeria and other African countries after the complete collapse of law and order with economic and natural disasters in their nations. Diarise it!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 26, 2015
Yomieluv:
Before my cousin was granted visa to the UK,she was put under severe scrutiny..

The UK claimed her kids weren't her,they asked the kids several times,if she is their mother,or aunt..

Thank God she was given then.

I will disgrace that visa officer there, you don't ask me such useless question because I will give it to you there hot.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 26, 2015
I only see USA as country that hardly accept nigerians in this your list . other's are not difficult.as for the invitation, you are right.
EroticAngelina:
lmao! eyha! sorry swiri.
countries like usa, canada, london, spain etc hardly accept nigerians.
tip: nxt time u wanna apply 4 visa again, tell ur cousin over there 2 send an invitation letter. if u get it and show the visa ppl, ur chances of getting visa are higher wink
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by SkinnyDude(m): 9:34am On Mar 26, 2015
EroticAngelina:
jeez it was a mistake. london, uk, britain... they are smwhat d same jare. cut me some slack. mtchw
hahaha. nobody is above mistake.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justwise(m): 9:35am On Mar 26, 2015
HolyHolla:
I assure that sometime, someday, these Americans and Europeans would be queuing up for visas to Nigeria and other African countries after the complete collapse of law and order with economic and natural disasters in their nations. Diarise it!

Talk is cheap.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by dechandel(f): 9:37am On Mar 26, 2015
chimchim1:
D easıest way ıs to look for a conference to attend ın the usa. I have amerıcan vısa 4 myself, wıfe n my daughter tru same means. Its very easy n make sure u have ınvıtatıon letter then ur famıly members can accompany u. And ın ur applıcatıon never state dt u have relatıon ın d usa.
Your last statement is not quite true
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justwise(m): 9:45am On Mar 26, 2015
chimchim1:
D easıest way ıs to look for a conference to attend ın the usa. I have amerıcan vısa 4 myself, wıfe n my daughter tru same means. Its very easy n make sure u have ınvıtatıon letter then ur famıly members can accompany u. And ın ur applıcatıon never state dt u have relatıon ın d usa.

You are not helping the op rather you are misleading him
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by dubbiskelly(m): 9:49am On Mar 26, 2015
Na u spoil everything, how u go say u wan go visit your cousin? Is your cousin in question wedding or is there any event? I will advice you to reapply after a minimum of six months, but not sooner. You can apply with at least one of your kids then and take my word for it that they will give u. It will be better if u apply with any of ur kids under 18 years of age.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by publicenemy(m): 10:19am On Mar 26, 2015
RickRichards:
Use leeeeeeeeeeeeg.

Guy... What happeeeeeen?
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by elohorayodele: 10:24am On Mar 26, 2015
funstufz:

eewoooooooo, sorry ooo
Just like that in less than 5minutes..........
Money don go be that undecided undecided
When will the Green Passport get respect again my people....

power =respect, when we become an economic power we would be respected. thats not far ahead because buhari promised not only to stabilize crude oil price but also to make sure one naira=one dolllar grin
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by StepG: 10:25am On Mar 26, 2015
bigtalla:
@OP, I know a few peeps who have gotten visas with salaries lees than 180k and have not travelled out of the country before. Some likely reasons u were denied visa are:

1. You appear to have no strong ties to Nigeria : Travelling alone without your kid(s) and hubby raises a red-flag. Seems like you are running away. Next time, apply for a visa for the whole family, even if you plan to travel alone.
2. Intention of Visit sounds weak: You may truly have a cousin you miss so much and would love to see, but what stops your cousin from visiting you here in Nigeria (I want to assume your cousin is not yet married)? Rather than you leaving your hubby and kids to make a long trip to the US.
3. What you plan to do during your visit: During your 2 weeks stay, I think it would have made more sense saying you are going for a vacation and u plan to visit wonderful places like, NASA space centre, Musem for Natural sciences, etc (depending on where u want to visit). Then when asked if you know anyone in the USA, u say YES, you have a cousin and may visit her, depending if time permits you
4. Where you will be staying: You can book hotel room(s) without paying a kobo. This gives the Visa Officer the impression you won't be inconveniencing anyone in the USA and you plan to 'spend' your cash in the USA...

My thoughts
Absolutely. Right.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by sirleyeto: 10:31am On Mar 26, 2015
studio14:
I will disgrace that visa officer there, you don't ask me such useless question because I will give it to you there hot.

Are you a clown?London is not Country!!! Omg lol
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by StepG: 10:33am On Mar 26, 2015
Emmahunk:

I have read so many responses to this write up many of which gave wise tips but the one lamenting the green passport not having respect is annoying.
May I authoritatively inform the writer of that piece that the Nigeria E passport is as date one of the most respected today in the world because of its high security features. It is in fact second to the United States passport in meeting ICAO standard.
Granting or refusal of visa is based not on the Country’s passport but other issues some of which are as follows ;
●Confidence of the appplicant during interview
●Evidence of strong ties at home to prove that the applicant is not abandoning home
●Evidence of livelihood to prove that applicant will not be a public charge in host Country
●Previous travel history hence the question have you travelled before is more important than people think
●It's always a good proof of financial independence when you book a reservation and pay for at least a night rather than filling your relation's address as the place to stay in the States
●Age is also important. Do you look as old as you claim?
●Dress neatly and not to impress
●Never appear desperate, be relaxed.
●Never be in a hurry to produce any document except when it's requested for
Good luck
nice sir

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 26, 2015
When you are refused a visa, play back your responses and see if they make sense even to you. "I'm going to visit my cousin" is NOT a valid reason for travelling. You are going on holiday, AND will either stay with OR visit your cousin in the process is a more believable story.

Also, think about it, why would a married woman travel without her kids and husband? There is almost NO reason that will not sound fishy. Who will look after the kids? And the husband? Not asking you to lie but saying you were single would've yielded better results (They will still catch you when your whole family wants to go)

The few times I've been in that embassy, I've usually been one of the last they attended to and have the privilege of hearing people's story. So many don't make any sense. "I'm going for a modelling show", "All my crew have their visas, remaining me", "I want to go and buy used cars" etc..

Contrary to the opinion Nigerians like to throw around, the US consular office is not wicked or crazy (we never like to take responsibility for anything). They are not magicians either to know if you will run or not. They apply psychological and methodological reasoning based on the information YOU SUPPLY!! When you are being sponsored by a reputable (American)company, its like 3 questions max and they ask you to come pick up your visa..

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by lordmario(m): 10:35am On Mar 26, 2015
Are they outrightly crazy or stupid? Whenever they are coming to our own country, do we question them like this? Naija no good but those americans here have refused to go back even though their visa has expired. I hate americans and their stupid guts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by StepG: 10:36am On Mar 26, 2015
dROC1:

From my experience the following factors worked against you.

1. No travel history.(Western country preferred)
2. Low income and job profile to support your trip. (Your monthly salary can't pay for a US plane ticket and feed your wife and kid at the same time )
3. You didn't go with your spouse.( If married, this reduces your chances drastically)
4. No convincing reason for your trip (An official trip and hotel booking would have served your circumstances better)
5. General naivety of the whole visa process

Being married should have helped you but with all the factors above the VO was definitely going to bounce you...no two ways about it.

Don't bother re-applying immediately till most of your circumstances (Now a red flag in their records) have changed significantly else you will just be throwing away money.right

Follow me @tweetaristo
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by LBTY(f): 10:59am On Mar 26, 2015
trendyindian:
Dear Consulate,

. I was denied my bi/b2 visa today cry. I told the consulate I am married with 2kids and I will be going for 3 weeks to see my nephew I have not seen for a long time.

She asked me why I was travelling alone nd I told her my kids r in school. But I was denied.

I need your help to advise me on what to do cos am thinking of reapplying with my kids and husband asap for Christmas holiday. Cos I noticed all applicants that came with der kids nd husband were given visa.

1. my problem is when I re apply will I be the main applicant while my husband nd kids will be dependant?

2. Should I use hotel reservation or I should use the same relative (my uncle) as my contact person.

kindly help me cos I need to start asap.

thank you.

When you reapply, use your uncle, make sure you also have strong ties in Nigeria, that way they know you are definitely returning to Nigeria, if you are the one applying, you can still be the main applicant. And be sure you are making a lot of money since you are going with your entire family. Get letters from your boss man saying you are returning to the country. Do your assignment right and I'm sure it would go well.

All the best my sister

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Ilaje44(m): 11:04am On Mar 26, 2015
EroticAngelina:
lmao! eyha! sorry swiri.
countries like usa, canada, london, spain etc hardly accept nigerians.
tip: nxt time u wanna apply 4 visa again, tell ur cousin over there 2 send an invitation letter. if u get it and show the visa ppl, ur chances of getting visa are higher wink
Just FYI, London is still part of the UK, precisely England. The city is not an independent city state like Singapore.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by mya1: 11:04am On Mar 26, 2015
EroticAngelina:

It's a mistake, yet they are somewhat the same?They are not somewhat the same.

London is a city in England .It's the country's capital.
UK comprises of 4 countries - England, Scotland ,Wales and Northern Ireland.

So, no you would not be cut some slack.

It's just like the dumbos that call Africa a country.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by justwise(m): 11:06am On Mar 26, 2015
mya1:

It's a mistake, yet they are somewhat the same?They are not somewhat the same.

London is a city in England .It's the country's capital.
UK comprises of 4 countries - England, Scotland ,Wales and Northern Ireland.

So, no you would not be cut some slack.

It's just like the dumbos that call Africa a country.

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Guy Insults Canada, Girl Defends With Posts That Got Over 1M Likes And Retweets / Man Mourns Girlfriend Who Died In An Accident 11 Days After Arriving Nigeria / ₦6.5m Ticket: Inside Crystal Skye, World's Most Luxurious Commercial Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.