Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,403 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! (3457 Views)

Innoson Motors, Igbos And The Quest For Biafra: My Perception. / How My Sojourn In Yorubaland Changed By Perception About Islam / 2015 Elections And Beyond: My Perception About The Igbos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 02, 2015
Campaigns have ended. And elections have come and gone. The majority have decided in favour of President-elect, GMB. And we all should follow in the magnanimous footsteps of the incumbent President and accept the elections. A look at the bigger picture will tell one that the outcome was in the best interest of the nation. This may not be so with everyone, but I believe, in retrospect, the outcome was perfect for us AT THIS TIME.

Once again, congratulations to GMB and the APC, and the dogged supporters of his even here on Nairaland. Its being a huge honour to have met some of the most determined and convinced supporters from the both camps here. Though during the campaigns, we may have disagreed, and even came close to name-calling on a few occasions, but I believe we all did what we did in the best interest of the nation. Severussnape, temitemi1, ozoigbondu, Gbawe, Agaba123, barcanista, talktimi, egift, Billyonaire, Firefire, Whynotthetruth, WisdomFlakes, chukwudi44, sincerenigerian,raumdeuter, Passinshot, Clevermind, DaBulllT, francizy, and all other comrades too numerous to mention, our nation is fortunate to have you guys. Good work! There are many ways to the same destination!

THE YORUBAS

What a people! I have spend more than 20 years in Lagos, so its kinda safe to say, to a large extent, I do understand them. I have a lot of them as friends and brothers. They are a very wonderful people. First and foremost, I must appreciate Sen Bola Tinubu for his vision, and introduction of a new twist to our nation's politics. We owe him a lot.

I knew from the moment of the successful merger that birthed the APC that it would be very tough for the PDP to retain the Presidency. Most people here in PH believed the Yorubas voted for the APC because of Prof Osinbajo. I have fruitlessly tried to explain to them the level of political maturity of the South Westerners. Yes, thousands may have voted the APC because of Osinbajo. In every election, we are bound to see some voters support their own purely on the basis of tribe. But I believe the average Yoruba voted against the PDP purely based on PERFORMANCE. They felt GEJ didn't do enough to warrant their support and votes. They voted entirely on convictions!

We will agree it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, for GMB to have won the elections without the votes of the Yorubas. Their support for GMB led him to Aso Rock.

The outcome of the results from the South West showed clearly they are politically mature. The results came neck-in-neck. I believe that was where real elections took place. They are a people of convictions and ideals. If they turn against a candidate based on performance, they hardly retreat. Even in the OBJ days, on account of poor performance, they voted massively against him..their own brother. That will hardly happen with any other region.

The elections have ended. I paid more attention to the SW during the collation. They really know what they want. Kudos to them for their being true to their values and convictions. That's how a people grow.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by yetunsbay(m): 9:02am On Apr 02, 2015
well said

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:07am On Apr 02, 2015
Get ready; u will be massively attacked for making sense.

We have tried to tell them...

Yoruba's didn't vote for OBJ in 2003
We didn't vote GMB/BAKARE In 2011
We voted en mass your Jonathan.
Now we dnt feel compelled to repeat defeat, na by force?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Beamborla(f): 9:08am On Apr 02, 2015
There is hope for Nigeria after all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 02, 2015
@OP, the moment i saw your topic, i was thinking it's one of those attention seekers, but the moment i read through, i changed my mindset about you...

#ama_proud_yoruba_boi...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 02, 2015
Nice post OP. Nigeria is set on a greater part but we need to remain together.

Dem say we go chattam house go campaign, say nobody get PVC there. But we did it.

Naija my country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 02, 2015
Dharniel:
@OP, the moment i saw your topic, i was thinking it's one of those attention seekers, but the moment i read through, i changed my mindset about you...

#ama_proud_yoruba_boi...

I believe I have a very healthy self esteem. There's absolutely NO reason whatsoever why I should be seeking attention. It's totally alien to my person.

On your side, it's always good to be more open minded. You need not form an opinion about others before you hear them out.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 02, 2015
Beamborla:
There is hope for Nigeria after all

There is. I have learned to always glean some victory from every defeat, and a gain from every loss.

There's hope for us all.
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Beamborla(f): 11:17am On Apr 02, 2015
dearpreye:

There is. I have learned to always glean some victory from every defeat, and a gain from every loss.

There's hope for us all.
It gladdens my hrt to see posts and threads of this nature coming from someone from another tribe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 02, 2015
dearpreye:

I believe I have a very healthy self esteem. There's absolutely NO reason whatsoever why I should be seeking attention. It's totally alien to my person.

On your side, it's always good to be more open minded. You need not form an opinion about others before you hear them out.

Like i said, i was thinking not that i was certain.
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by jfking2005(m): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2015
dearpreye:
Campaigns have ended. And elections have come and gone. The majority have decided in favour of President-elect, GMB. And we all should follow in the magnanimous footsteps of the incumbent President and accept the elections. A look at the bigger picture will tell one that the outcome was in the best interest of the nation. This may not be so with everyone, but I believe, in retrospect, the outcome was perfect for us AT THIS TIME.
Once again, congratulations to GMB and the APC, and the dogged supporters of his even here on Nairaland. Its being a huge honour to have met some of the most determined and convinced supporters from the both camps here. Though during the campaigns, we may have disagreed, and even came close to name-calling on a few occasions, but I believe we all did what we did in the best interest of the nation. Severussnape, temitemi1, ozoigbondu, Gbawe, Agaba123, barcanista, talktimi, egift, Billyonaire, Firefire, Whynotthetruth, WisdomFlakes, chukwudi44, sincerenigerian,raumdeuter, Passinshot, Clevermind, DaBulllT, francizy, and all other comrades too numerous to mention, our nation is fortunate to have you guys. Good work! There are many ways to the same destination!
THE YORUBAS
What a people! I have spend more than 20 years in Lagos, so its kinda safe to say, to a large extent, I do understand them. I have a lot of them as friends and brothers. They are a very wonderful people. First and foremost, I must appreciate Sen Bola Tinubu for his vision, and introduction of a new twist to our nation's politics. We owe him a lot.
I knew from the moment of the successful merger that birthed the APC that it would be very tough for the PDP to retain the Presidency. Most people here in PH believed the Yorubas voted for the APC because of Prof Osinbajo. I have fruitlessly tried to explain to them the level of political maturity of the South Westerners. Yes, thousands may have voted the APC because of Osinbajo. In every election, we are bound to see some voters support their own purely on the basis of tribe. But I believe the average Yoruba voted against the PDP purely based on PERFORMANCE. They felt GEJ didn't do enough to warrant their support and votes. They voted entirely on convictions!
We will agree it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, for GMB to have won the elections without the votes of the Yorubas. Their support for GMB led him to Aso Rock.
The outcome of the results from the South West showed clearly they are politically mature. The results came neck-in-neck. I believe that was where real elections took place. They are a people of convictions and ideals. If they turn against a candidate based on performance, they hardly retreat. Even in the OBJ days, on account of poor performance, they voted massively against him..their own brother. That will hardly happen with any other region.
The elections have ended. I paid more attention to the SW during the collation. They really know what they want. Kudos to them for their being true to their values and convictions. That's how a people grow.

You really understood the YORUBAS, i give it to you!!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 02, 2015
Dharniel:

Like i said, i was thinking not that i was certain.

Not taken seriously sir. We are together sir.
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 02, 2015
jfking2005:

You really understood the YORUBAS, i give it to you!!!!!

Thank you. But seriously, I wish it was a lady giving it to me. Hahahahhaha.
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by focus7: 11:54am On Apr 02, 2015
Op, thank you. Of truth you indeed you have not spent your 20yrs with the yorubas in bias, you really took your time to study them and know them. I wish will always have objective and sincere judgement os issues like you have done on NL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
Get ready; u will be massively attacked for making sense.

We have tried to tell them...

Yoruba's didn't vote for OBJ in 2003
We didn't vote GMB/BAKARE In 2011
We voted en mass your Jonathan.
Now we dnt feel compelled to repeat defeat, na by force?

He will not be attacked; he has said the truth.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 02, 2015
You are very correct OP. Nobody should label the Yorubas as traitors or collaborators, because they voted against Jonathan or say that it was because of Osibanjo. They voted against Buhari even their son Tunde Bakare in 2011.

Yorubas are a wonderful people honestly. The Yorubas can tolerate and take almost anything without lifting a finger.

God bless them.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by omazus: 12:13pm On Apr 02, 2015
When did they massivley vote against Obasanjo because of performance. They did not present a candidate in 2003 when Obasanjo's performance was the issue. Or are you talking of Obasanjo of the 70s, the only a fool will prefer a Buhari of the 80s to Obasanjo of the 70s because that Obasanjo was an allround performer. You are either a yoruba or you want to curly their favour. But do that with dignity of some sort.
dearpreye:

THE YORUBAS

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by winniz: 12:13pm On Apr 02, 2015
dearpreye:

THE YORUBAS

[/b]The outcome of the results from the South West showed clearly they are politically mature. The results came neck-in-neck.[b] I believe that was where real elections took place. [/b]They are a people of convictions and ideals.[b] If they turn against a candidate based on performance, they hardly retreat. Even in the OBJ days, on account of poor performance, they voted massively against him..their own brother. That will hardly happen with any other region.

Sources said GEJ spent billions of naira in SW from giving money to their Oba's and sharing money on election day in SW states but he was disgraced heavily by them.

Trust those Chameleons at your own peril.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 02, 2015

so much for 500,000 votes margin from six states
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by sinkhole: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2015
winniz:

Sources said GEJ spent billions of naira in SW from giving money to their Oba's and sharing money on election day in SW states but he was disgraced heavily by them.

I just dey laugh u grin u think u can use money to buy yoruba comscience, mba! when it comes to money, we go collect am pocket am (unlike d northern royals who rejected GEJ's money) and still do what is n our minds grin na national cake u share reach us!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by sammyj: 12:29pm On Apr 02, 2015
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Scatterboss(m): 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2015
dearpreye:

THE YORUBAS

God bless you and my Igbo/SS brothers. One love

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Etfash(m): 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2015
chukwudi44:

What about the 'minimum of 25% from two-third of the states including the FCT' law?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by theV0ice: 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2015
winniz:

Which means if you were inec official and was given money to sell your conscience, you'll sell so you won't be called a chameleon or a traitor?

Your value system is very 'rich' in a morbid way

1 Like

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by theV0ice: 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2015
chukwudi44:

In 2011, buhari couldn't get 25% in any state in the SW. If that scenario had been repeated on march 28, do you think he would have been declared winner?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 02, 2015
So there are still Igbos with sense,not the real traitors that will be working against you in your own land and still be calling you traitor.Lagos is a worldwide example.
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by winniz: 1:02pm On Apr 02, 2015
theV0ice:

Which means if you were inec official and was given money to sell your conscience, you'll sell so you won't be called a chameleon or a traitor?

Your value system is very 'rich' in a morbid way

Who is talking about INEC official or whatever?
Many of your SW leaders collected bribes from him after all the promises but failed to deliver and even most of the votes he got from the Core SW states most of u guys said here that PDP shared money on election day to garner those votes. It simply means u guys lack Conviction and Ideals.
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by theV0ice: 1:10pm On Apr 02, 2015
winniz:

Who is talking about INEC official or whatever?
Many of your SW leaders collected bribes from him after all the promises but failed to deliver and even most of the votes he got from the Core SW states most of u guys said here that PDP shared money to garner those votes. It simply means u guys lack Conviction and Ideals.

I have to laugh cheesy cheesy cheesy

Why not ask him if they gave him receipt so he can take them to court to get the money back? cheesy When sensible people were telling him and you that it doesn't work like that in the SW, didn't you sneer at them? Even the awujale of ijebuland told him it doesn't work that way yet he preferred the counsel of folks like gani Adams etc then you now turn round to accuse people.

Is a bribe a legal thing to do? Why not ask gej to come out publicly and call them chameleons himself? Let him come out and accuse them of breaking a deal now since bribery is a core tenet of this govt.

Your thought pattern no be here

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by Blazinraj01(f): 1:22pm On Apr 02, 2015
OP has a good point. When I saw the results from the south-west, I realised most of us voted based on candidacy and belief in each individual. The competition was stiff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by xtremely9ja: 1:54pm On Apr 02, 2015
This is what the Yorubas did to their own son, whom they know is the choice of the whole Nigeria in 1999.
REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF 27 FEBRUARY 1999
===================================================================
Source: Nigerian Congress website, People's Democratic Party
website

Parties
-------------------------------------------------------------------
* AD - Alliance for Democracy
* APP - All People's Party
* PDP - People's Democratic Party

NATIONAL SUMMARY
Registered Voters: 57,938,945
Votes Cast: 30,280,052 (52.3)
Invalid Votes: 431,611 (01.4)
Valid Votes: 29,848,441 (98.6)
Candidate Party Votes %
Samuel Oluyemi Falae AD-APP 11,110,287 37.2
Olusegun OBASANJO PDP 18,738,154 62.8
Total 29,848,441 (98.6)

VOTE BY STATE
State Falae (APP/AD) Obasanjo (PDP) Total
Abia 175,095 32.7 360,823 67.3 535,918
Abuja 39,788 40.2 59,234 59.8 99,022
Adamawa 177,868 21.0 667,239 78.9 845,107
Akwa Ibom 152,534 17.3 730,744 82.7 883,278
Anambra 199,461 23.9 633,717 76.1 833,278
Bauchi 342,233 29.1 834,309 70.9 1,176,542
Bayelsa 152,220 24.4 457,812 75.0 610,032
Benue 269,045 21.5 983,912 78.5 1,252,957
Borno 334,593 36.5 581,382 63.5 915,975
Cross River 283,468 32.2 592,688 67.3 876,156
Delta 240,334 29.4 576,230 70.7 816,574
Ebonyi 94,934 27.4 250,987 72.6 345,921
Edo 163,203 24.0 516,581 76.0 679,784
Ekiti 522,072 73.1 191,618 26.8 713,690
Enugu 195,168 23.4 640,418 76.6 835,586
Gombe 311,381 36.9 533,158 63.1 844,539
Imo 314,339 42.7 421,767 57.3 736,306
Jigawa 237,025 43.2 311,571 56.8 548,596
Kaduna 381,350 22.7 1,294,679 77.2 1,676,029
Kano 222,458 24.6 682,255 75.4 904,713
Katsina 229,181 19.2 964,216 86.8 1,193,397
Kebbi 172,336 33.6 339,893 66.4 512,229
Kogi 476,807 48.4 507,903 51.6 984,710
Kwara 189,088 28.7 470,510 71.3 659,598
Lagos 1,542,969 88.1 209,012 11.9 1,751,981
Nassarawa 173,277 29.0 423,731 71.0 397,008
Niger 140,465 16.2 730,665 83.9 871,130
Ondo 668,474 85.0 133,323 150 801,797
Ogun 332,340 69.8 143,564 30.2 475,904
Osun 607,628 76.5 187,011 23.5 854,639
Oyo 693,510 75.3 227,688 24.7 921,178

Plateau 173,370 25.8 499,072 74.2 672,442
Rivers 213,328 13.6 1,352,275 86.4 1,565,603
Sokto 198,829 56.1 155,598 43.9 354,427
Taraba 81,290 09.3 789,749 90.7 871,039
Yobe 165,061 53.0 146,517 47.0 311,578
Zamfara 243,755 64.1 136,324 35.9 380,079
Total 11,110,287 37.2 18,738,154 62.7 29,848,441
http://www.electoralgeography.com/new/en/countries/n/nigeria/nigeria-presidential-election-1999.html

Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by PointB: 1:58pm On Apr 02, 2015
xtremely9ja:
This is what the Yorubas did to their own son, whom they know is the choice of the whole Nigeria in 1999.

http://www.electoralgeography.com/new/en/countries/n/nigeria/nigeria-presidential-election-1999.html

And Olu Falae wasn't their son?

How were you able to determine the choice of whole Nigeria in 1999 prior to election? Are you a seer?
Re: 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! by tomzman: 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2015
Thank God we still have some sensible Igbos alive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If The Elections Were To Be Reconducted Today, Who Would You Vote For? / RCCG Destroys Over 300 Homes In Order To Build Largest Auditorium In The World / Is Akpabio Leading PDP Senate Caucus To Destruction??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.