Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? (43335 Views)

Donald Trump Appoints Omarosa Manigault As Head Of Trump Campaign / Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / President Buhari Removes Danladi Kifasi As Head Of Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Apr 02, 2015
Col Abubakar Dangiwar Umar
Use him...
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by nonjebose(m): 12:08am On Apr 03, 2015
Iffffffy:
I thought as much and he raised my hope with those names, unserious element.
One of those things you see on nl
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 12:38am On Apr 03, 2015
The best candidate for this position is Buhari himself. Since he has a no-nonsense stance on corruption, he can channel a lot of his energy to that aspect because to me, corruption is our biggest problem. Obasanjo served as both president and petroleum minister for abt 7.5yrs so Buhari can serve as both president and EFCC chairman

1 Like

Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:55am On Apr 03, 2015
ChokolateBoss:
The best candidate for this position is Buhari himself. Since he has a no-nonsense stance on corruption, he can channel a lot of his energy to that aspect because to me, corruption is our biggest problem. Obasanjo served as both president and petroleum minister for abt 7.5yrs so Buhari can serve as both president and EFCC chairman

I can see your point but would it not be better for the EFCC to be seen and indeed to actually be totally independent of the administration in the same manner as the judiciary should be? No doubt Buhari would pursue matters vigorously but then people would try to deflect attention by claiming everything was politically motivated.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Rexnegro(m): 1:14am On Apr 03, 2015
IbnSultaan:
Who do you want as head of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)?

He/She will be in charge of the war on corruption in Nigeria
For me is fr mbaka or femi falana if possible o.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by ayyoshert: 1:35am On Apr 03, 2015
Seun:
The normal police should be reformed and the EFCC placed under them. There is nothing special about financial crimes. It's a police thing.
I disagree with you sir! first you should know the reason why the EFCC was created by the EFCC establishment act, 2002. EFCC was not just created, it was a child of necessity, it is a requirement of the Financial Action Task Force(FATF). An international organisation, which has a strong membership all over the world which mandates every country to have a body seperate that collects Financial Intelligence and fights Financial and other organised crimes. As a matter of a not too long history, prior to the Obasanjo civilian regime, Nigeria's reputation was so bad outside the country, especially when it comes to corruption, money laundering and advance fee fraud, Nigeria's name was sinking fast into the mud, as a matter of urgency and to avoid perpetual blacklististing, Obasanjo in conjuction with the then lawmakers had to set up the EFCC which also has under it the NFIU(Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit) in accordance with international best practices as speculated by FATF. In America financial crimes are not handled by the conventional police, the FBI does that, In UK you have SOCA-Serious Organised Crime Agency, almost all over Africa,( East and west Africa especially) they have their own EFCC like bodies fighting Corruption, Money laundering etc, Australia has its Agency too and they work closely with EFCC. If you really understand the modus operandi of criminals perpetrating financial crimes and its likes, then you'll appreciate that conventional law enforcement cannot combat their vices, rather a more scientific and advanced techniques and also highly trained operatives who engage rather in psychological criminal investigative techniques and not physical are needed. EFCC has got all these, if they are allowed to function better hopefully in this next dispensation, then trust me, people will regain their trust in them.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by whitecat1: 1:46am On Apr 03, 2015
Everyone involved in embezzling the N30 Trillion and the reserves is game, so ask yourself what Tinubu stole from Nigeria! It's not a crime to be a successful business man.
ebamma:
I hope Tinubu will be their first case,
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Rickbee1: 2:08am On Apr 03, 2015
EFCC goes to Tinubu whil ICPC goes to FASHOLA....lol lagos is finished. Sorry for Naija
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Benzora(m): 2:26am On Apr 03, 2015
Seun:
The normal police should be reformed and the EFCC placed under them. There is nothing special about financial crimes. It's a police thing.

@Seun, there is actually something special about financial crimes. The normal Police Investigator just needs to understand basic investigation techniques however, a financial investigator must not only understand basic accounting techniques but also he must understand telecom operations, banking operations, ICT Operations(cyber crime), oil & gas operations, etc. In essence, it is a highly specialized field requiring equally very specialized skills

The NPF has tried through the sfu (special fraud unit) to investigate financial crimes but couldn't thereby necessitating the establishment of the icpc and then the efcc. The Police as it is, is already inadequate in dealing with regular policing duties which also led to the creation of the nscdc and before that, the frsc. There are still calls for the creation of state police agencies which is also not strange. About 380k npf men can't police over 180m people adequately with other side duties like the vip protection/ guard duties for individuals and corporate organizations which takes up nearly half of the policemen leaving just about 200k men to police the rest of us.

Having specialized agencies like these ones is not peculiar to Nigeria. The US has fbi, triple S, uspis, etc beside the state police agencies. the uk also has nca (formerly soca) met police, etc, Malaysia has the malaysia anticorruption agency. Singapore has the same thing. FYI the establishment of the efcc was not conceived by the Nigerian govt. but rather a part requirement for the country to be delisted from ncct (non compliant countries and terrorities) of the fatf (financial action task force) which has now made nigeria a member of the prestigious egmont group. Nigeria is benefiting from dfi because of the work of the efcc. Nigerians banks can now carry out financial transactions with foreign banks in other jurisdictions because we are a member of the egmont group.

Obasanjo was happy creating the icpc but int'l exigencies made him to also create the efcc so it is not as simple as reform the police and make efcc an appendage of the police. It is also wrong to put a serving police officer at the helm of affairs at the efcc another independentt agency because then, you make subservient to the police since whoever is at the helm of affairs is still answerable to the ig. This, to a large extent has bugged down the efcc (recall the posting of ribadu by the ig). This is also a major reason why the current chairman cannot perform because once he starts a case and any of the parties reach out to say an aig or dig who is his senior in the police, it will be difficult not to do the bidding of the officer since one day, he will return to the police.

And finally as to who the cap for the efcc chairman fits, I understand there are competent, well trained officers of the efcc who can do the job. Let the president elect look within the efcc.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by hopilo: 3:48am On Apr 03, 2015
ellechrystal:
Lol., no one is worthy for now. I mean none.
Maybe with time we will know. Except Buhari himself opts to take on d responsibility along side his bigger position.
Else I can't see anyone. Not even fashola, jega may not even perform well there. Note, everyone has an area of specialization, not because u r good in d inec job doesn't mean u will do same or better in EFCC.
Please these r two different fields entirely.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by frank442: 4:03am On Apr 03, 2015
Josph mbu of zone 6
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by kenoc: 4:35am On Apr 03, 2015
The problem of EFCC is not the head but the law that established it. In the past the commission was used to intimidate political enemies. After all that nothing comes out of the garagara. Even when they say they collect looted money or properties, we will not know what they do with the money or property. The best be say make them givam to me. I go follow due process to do the work. Because I no belong to any political party.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by doja(m): 6:36am On Apr 03, 2015
Benzora:

@Seun, there is actually something special about financial crimes. The normal Police Investigator just needs to understand basic investigation techniques however, a financial investigator must not only understand basic accounting techniques but also he must understand telecom operations, banking operations, ICT Operations(cyber crime), oil & gas operations, etc. In essence, it is a highly specialized field requiring equally very specialized skills
The NPF has tried through the sfu (special fraud unit) to investigate financial crimes but couldn't thereby necessitating the establishment of the icpc and then the efcc. The Police as it is, is already inadequate in dealing with regular policing duties which also led to the creation of the nscdc and before that, the frsc. There are still calls for the creation of state police agencies which is also not strange. About 380k npf men can't police over 180m people adequately with other side duties like the vip protection/ guard duties for individuals and corporate organizations which takes up nearly half of the policemen leaving just about 200k men to police the rest of us.
Having specialized agencies like these ones is not peculiar to Nigeria. The US has fbi, triple S, uspis, etc beside the state police agencies. the uk also has nca (formerly soca) met police, etc, Malaysia has the malaysia anticorruption agency. Singapore has the same thing. FYI the establishment of the efcc was not conceived by the Nigerian govt. but rather a part requirement for the country to be delisted from ncct (non compliant countries and terrorities) of the fatf (financial action task force) which has now made nigeria a member of the prestigious egmont group. Nigeria is benefiting from dfi because of the work of the efcc. Nigerians banks can now carry out financial transactions with foreign banks in other jurisdictions because we are a member of the egmont group.
Obasanjo was happy creating the icpc but int'l exigencies made him to also create the efcc so it is not as simple as reform the police and make efcc an appendage of the police. It is also wrong to put a serving police officer at the helm of affairs at the efcc another independentt agency because then, you make subservient to the police since whoever is at the helm of affairs is still answerable to the ig. This, to a large extent has bugged down the efcc (recall the posting of ribadu by the ig). This is also a major reason why the current chairman cannot perform because once he starts a case and any of the parties reach out to say an aig or dig who is his senior in the police, it will be difficult not to do the bidding of the officer since one day, he will return to the police.
And finally as to who the cap for the efcc chairman fits, I understand there are competent, well trained officers of the efcc who can do the job. Let the president elect look within the efcc.

Suggest a name within the EFCC and let us check him out
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Emeka71(m): 6:45am On Apr 03, 2015
Akintola Williams.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by jfash93(f): 6:50am On Apr 03, 2015
Prof. Attahiru Jega
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by melomelo: 6:50am On Apr 03, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] Jega
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by melomelo: 6:52am On Apr 03, 2015
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]Jega
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 6:57am On Apr 03, 2015
Pastor Tunde Bakare!

This man is fearless and does not care whose ox is gored. He is not afraid of speaking truth to lies.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by chenpaulo: 7:08am On Apr 03, 2015
theV0ice:
Col Abubakar Dangiwar Umar if he's still alive

Edited: a little bit about him

He's the brave kano Prince who though a diehard IBB boy, looked IBB in the face and told him he was wrong on the case of the annulment of June 12 1993 elections. He was military governor of Kaduna state and is reputed to have made the statement "I can follow IBB to war blindfolded" to show how much he believed in IBB as a general.

He lost his commission because he refused to support the annulnent or Abacha's takeover of govt instead of handing over to MKO. Rumour has it that he would have been killed if not because he was a blue blood. All these despite his famed dislike of MKO whom he viewed as arrogant but he insisted justice and fairplay demanded MKO be sworn in even if he was a devil

He left the Army and government unceremoniously, a simple man without money or scandal. The last I heard of him is that he was into poultry farming. I think gej offered him chairmanship of one probe committee in 2011 but umar declined.
.U are correct umar Dangiwa is d perfect candidate.He is hail n hearty living in kaduna
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by popson1(m): 7:30am On Apr 03, 2015
theV0ice:
Col Abubakar Dangiwar Umar if he's still alive

Edited: a little bit about him

He's the brave kano Prince who though a diehard IBB boy, looked IBB in the face and told him he was wrong on the case of the annulment of June 12 1993 elections. He was military governor of Kaduna state and is reputed to have made the statement "I can follow IBB to war blindfolded" to show how much he believed in IBB as a general.

He lost his commission because he refused to support the annulnent or Abacha's takeover of govt instead of handing over to MKO. Rumour has it that he would have been killed if not because he was a blue blood. All these despite his famed dislike of MKO whom he viewed as arrogant but he insisted justice and fairplay demanded MKO be sworn in even if he was a devil

He left the Army and government unceremoniously, a simple man without money or scandal. The last I heard of him is that he was into poultry farming. I think gej offered him chairmanship of one probe committee in 2011 but umar declined.
Very thoughtful of you. I love and admire the guy because of his untainted stance on fairness and equity. The man will surely nip corruption in the bud if chosen to head the Efcc .
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by juman(m): 8:15am On Apr 03, 2015
walterjames147:
Fashola

Not appropiate.

nigeria needs infrastructure.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by whocanbewho(m): 8:52am On Apr 03, 2015
Why are people mentioning jega and fashola...any1 thats gunna head efcc has to be a police officer that's the way it is... Fighting crime is a police thing... those armed guy in efcc vests are actually police officers. Effc doesn't recruit it staff separately, selected police officers are assigned to them.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by shurlermoz(m): 9:24am On Apr 03, 2015
Rychman:
Fashola - Minister of Power
Adeshina - Minister of Agric
Soludo - Minister of Finance
Ribadu/Former FRSC boss - EFCC
ICPC - scrap it

No please, Fashola should be minister for foreign affairs, we should bring back Barth Nnaji for power.
Nnaji sabi that sector well, na GEJ handlers pursue am.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by mbdoyin: 10:16am On Apr 03, 2015
Prof Attairu Jega will perform better in the position of EFCC as the Chairman. We should consider him for this position. We want people that are credible to work for Change. This will help to effect necessary change to the society at large.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 03, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

I can see your point but would it not be better for the EFCC to be seen and indeed to actually be totally independent of the administration in the same manner as the judiciary should be? No doubt Buhari would pursue matters vigorously but then people would try to deflect attention by claiming everything was politically motivated.

Well, the EFCC falls under the executive branch govt and as such, must be under d supervision of d president. So its not a bad idea if Buhari himself oversees it since he has d credentials. He'll also be under pressure to perform well since he made anti-corruption his campaign slogan.

I don't see how d EFCC can be independent of d administration. Don't quite get ur point there. They can't be like d judiciary cos d judiciary is another arm of govt entirely and d president is not d head of it. In fact, he has very limited powers there. Or are u suggesting that EFCC is made d fourth arm of d govt and not be under d power of d president?
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by viazi: 10:26am On Apr 03, 2015
Obasanjo is the best person for EFCC tongue
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 03, 2015
whocanbewho:
Why are people mentioning jega and fashola...any1 thats gunna head efcc has to be a police officer that's the way it is... Fighting crime is a police thing... those armed guy in efcc vests are actually police officers. Effc doesn't recruit it staff separately, selected police officers are assigned to them.

Exactly. Don't know y they're suggesting a professor can be head of EFCC. Its a police job. The fact that Jega works well as INEC chairman doesn't mean he'll do same in EFCC.
To me, d best candidate is Buhari himself. Else, Ribadu will do just fine
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by vanilson(m): 11:55am On Apr 03, 2015
Ffk or Doyin okupe
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Well, the EFCC falls under the executive branch govt and as such, must be under d supervision of d president. So its not a bad idea if Buhari himself oversees it since he has d credentials. He'll also be under pressure to perform well since he made anti-corruption his campaign slogan.

I don't see how d EFCC can be independent of d administration. Don't quite get ur point there. They can't be like d judiciary cos d judiciary is another arm of govt entirely and d president is not d head of it. In fact, he has very limited powers there. Or are u suggesting that EFCC is made d fourth arm of d govt and not be under d power of d president?

OK The independence is like the Police - being funded by the Government must also be independent. They are free to investigate and arrest if necessary the Prime Minister or Politicians. Or like the Courts who enforce the law even if the administration say otherwise. It does certainly vary a bit from country to country in the exact mechanisms of application but is to ensure a system of checks and balances is in place to stop a government doing things which are in themselves illegal.

It will be a big job heading the EFCC and leave not much time for other things anyway. Whoever is in power will be under pressure to perform as there is now a countrywide expectation (unless I am reading the mood of the moment very wrong) that corruption must be confronted. This MUST stretch to the 20 billion missing from NNPC down to 20n harassment from Okada riders!
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Fundango: 12:28pm On Apr 03, 2015
MalcoImX:
Oby Ezekwesili
i give it to her
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by mztubsy(f): 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2015
O re bobo yi sha undecided
Texcoco:
We would like Eagle knights or Jaguar knights to hold that position,we know of a particular fellow Tlaui-Colotl (armed scorpion) who duelled and killed five Arrow knights on the Battle Stone with just a left handed staff...he would be the favourite,unfortunately the Texcaltecan warrior was ritually sacrificed to Huitlopopotchli and eaten.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Democracy Day Scorecard: Top 5 Best Governors! / Tinubu, Modu-Sheriff, Ben Bruce At Tosin Saraki's Wedding (Photos) / Fayose Welcomes APC's Al-Makura To Ekiti For Governorship Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.