Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,747 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? (43333 Views)

Donald Trump Appoints Omarosa Manigault As Head Of Trump Campaign / Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / President Buhari Removes Danladi Kifasi As Head Of Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by ollyruffy: 12:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
Tunde Idiagbon
Dora Akunyili
Gani Fawehinmi

May their souls continue to rest in peace!
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Camry1(m): 1:52pm On Apr 03, 2015
Rotimi amechi
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

OK The independence is like the Police - being funded by the Government must also be independent. They are free to investigate and arrest if necessary the Prime Minister or Politicians. Or like the Courts who enforce the law even if the administration say otherwise. It does certainly vary a bit from country to country in the exact mechanisms of application but is to ensure a system of checks and balances is in place to stop a government doing things which are in themselves illegal.

It will be a big job heading the EFCC and leave not much time for other things anyway. Whoever is in power will be under pressure to perform as there is now a countrywide expectation (unless I am reading the mood of the moment very wrong) that corruption must be confronted. This MUST stretch to the 20 billion missing from NNPC down to 20n harassment from Okada riders!

Ok I get ur point. But that'll mean a revision of d laws under which EFCC was formed. If that happens, don't u think d head would be too powerful? It won't be easy to interfere in matters of how he runs EFCC. That'll mean he won't answer to d IG or even d president himself unless they follow long protocols and legal proceedings here and there. I don't see that revision happening.

The head of d EFCC has to be a police officer of high rank and that means he'll answer to d IG and of cos d C-in-C.
When Ribadu was there and stepped on 'big toes', he was stylishly removed and sent abroad for 'further studies' by order of d IG.
Since corruption is a no-no for Buhari, he's better suited to run d EFCC. Talking about outside interference, who can do that if he's d head? And if Buhari heads it, then d 'interference from d administration' which u allude to, will be sth positive since Buhari is d head of that administration itself.

Me thinks he can handle d job. Some presidents also combine d role of petroleum ministers and OPEC chairmen
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Franzeez(m): 2:55pm On Apr 03, 2015
Mr Ibu
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by MalcoImX: 3:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
wordcat:

Madam due process should be made the SFG
I think that too would do. I don't know how, but it will be great if APC should find a way to give both the SFG and the senate president to the East in the spirit of accommodation and reconciliation.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by taiwon1010: 4:04pm On Apr 03, 2015
Jega will be better
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by wordcat(m): 4:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
MalcoImX:
I think that too would do. I don't know how, but it will be great if APC should find a way to give both the SFG and the senate president to the East in the spirit of accommodation and reconciliation.

But we are in the opposition party so u see my dear, senate president for the SE is not possible.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by MalcoImX: 5:00pm On Apr 03, 2015
wordcat:

But we are in the opposition party so u see my dear, senate president for the SE is not possible.
Let's hope for a way.Nothing is impossible.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by wordcat(m): 5:59pm On Apr 03, 2015
MalcoImX:
Let's hope for a way.Nothing is impossible.

Yeah I know but this one seems not possible cos there's no APC senator from the SE.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by MalcoImX: 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
wordcat:

Yeah I know but this one seems not possible cos there's no APC senator from the SE.
Ok oo!, let's hope for the best, in how they'll balance this out.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by wordcat(m): 7:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
MalcoImX:
Ok oo!, let's hope for the best, in how they'll balance this out.

Let's hope for the best.

But as for me eh, I care less who becomes the senate president. My wish is for the incoming Govt to be made up of men and women of integrity. People that can fix our refineries, fix Onitsha Seaport, reduce our dependence on oil, develop other sectors of our economy and other positive things.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by shinealight(m): 11:47am On Apr 04, 2015
Lol
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 05, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

OK The independence is like the Police - being funded by the Government must also be independent. They are free to investigate and arrest if necessary the Prime Minister or Politicians. Or like the Courts who enforce the law even if the administration say otherwise. It does certainly vary a bit from country to country in the exact mechanisms of application but is to ensure a system of checks and balances is in place to stop a government doing things which are in themselves illegal.

It will be a big job heading the EFCC and leave not much time for other things anyway. Whoever is in power will be under pressure to perform as there is now a countrywide expectation (unless I am reading the mood of the moment very wrong) that corruption must be confronted. This MUST stretch to the 20 billion missing from NNPC down to 20n harassment from Okada riders!

Ur wishes have kinda come true. Buhari has just promised to make EFCC autonomous in their fight against corruption. Next to nothing external influence, less godfatherism.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by OrigamiIII: 12:53am On Apr 06, 2015
DIG ONOVO (RTD) Former acting IGP. He is far better than Ribadu and any other senior nigerian detective alive.
Re: Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:53am On Apr 06, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Ur wishes have kinda come true. Buhari has just promised to make EFCC autonomous in their fight against corruption. Next to nothing external influence, less godfatherism.

OK. Well lets see if a good beginning leads to something better! I certainly hope so.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

7 Billion Spent Yet Vp's House Still Incomplete [photo] / Iweala’s Family To Open Multi-million Dollar Hospital In Abuja - Sahara Reporter / Fuel Scarcity Rocks Uyo: Buying Of Fuel Survival Of The Fittest (live Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.