Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3016304 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:11am On Oct 15, 2015
bidexiii:
RANDOM PICTURES.

Someone pls I.D the 2nd artillery gun in picture?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:58pm On Oct 15, 2015
CTCION PICTURES

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:31pm On Oct 15, 2015
Nigeria welcomes US troops for Cameroon over Boko Haram

Lagos (AFP) - Nigeria on Thursday welcomed a US decision to send up to 300 military personnel to Cameroon to help the regional fight against Boko Haram, despite having itself requested more direct help from Washington.

President Muhammadu Buhari's spokesman Garba Shehu said the deployment was a "welcome development" while the military said it demonstrated cooperation was needed against the Islamists.

US President Barack Obama on Thursday said 90 personnel had already been sent and the full contingent would conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance operations.

"The United States has given the pledge to support the fight against Boko Haram in Nigeria and in the region," Shehu told AFP by telephone.

"This is the fulfilment of that pledge and we are very happy about it. The United States' move is quite commendable."

Military spokesman Colonel Rabe Abubakar added: "This is how the fight can be done collectively with partners cooperating with us to fight against a common cause -- terrorism -- which has been ravaging the region for some time now.

"We appeal to other nations to emulate the good example of the United States. The United States has experience in fighting terrorism.

"Fighting terrorism is not one nation's issue. It requires a global effort. We all need to work together... to fight this evil."

Buhari, who took office in May vowing to end the violence and on Wednesday met the US military's Africa Command chief General David Rodriguez in Abuja, has spearheaded efforts for a new, five-nation fighting force against Boko Haram.

The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) was due to be deployed in late July but the deadline passed with no new date announced for it to start.

The US announcement comes after the Islamic State group-allied militants have increased attacks against civilians using suicide bombers in border areas of Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

Diplomatic relations between Abuja and Washington were strained under Buhari's predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, over the United States' refusal to sell weapons to Nigeria.

Buhari repeated those criticisms in July on a visit to the US capital, asserting the embargo -- in place because of his military's human rights record -- was helping Boko Haram.

Washington last year provided intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance expertise to Nigeria in the hunt for more than 200 girls abducted from their school.

The assistance included drones and spy planes as well as up to 80 military personnel sent to Chad's capital, N'Djamena.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:17pm On Oct 15, 2015
COMPARE AND CONTRAST........... ?

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:44am On Oct 16, 2015
KDF BATTLING AL-SHABAB

past news report about KDF repulsing a alshabaab ambush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXG3jV3Sc0

KDF battling al-shabab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNm4hgfI6Pc
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by agaugust: 5:06am On Oct 17, 2015
bidexiii:

Someone pls I.D the 2nd artillery gun in picture?

D-30 top pic and middle pic, Bofors FH-77 bottom pic

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:14am On Oct 17, 2015
agaugust:

Tnks mate.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:22am On Oct 17, 2015
OPERATIONAL PICTURES.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ocelot2006(m): 10:05am On Oct 17, 2015
bidexiii:
RANDOM PICTURES.

The Vulcans smiley
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:34am On Oct 17, 2015
ocelot2006:

The Vulcans smiley

wink grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:40am On Oct 17, 2015
FARE WELL TO BRAVE AND GALLANT SOLDIER

To the fallen soldiers who have paid the ultimate price serving there father land. We appreciate the supreme price, we cant pray for you anymore but to the work you left and your families. God bless them.

To flight lieutenant ebitimi owei. R.I.P

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:19am On Oct 17, 2015
agaugust:

I don't think the middle one is D30 howitzer, am talking about the middle picture not the first one?

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2015
Army parades Boko Haram suspects

The Nigeria Army has paraded some suspected Boko Haram insurgents arrested late yesterday while attempting to cross from Jigawa State to Yobe State in North-East Nigeria. Operation Salama operatives attached to Jigawa State in the North-West arrested the suspect with 40 jerry cans filled with 33, 000 litres of petrol suspected to be transported to the notorious Sambisa Forest in Borno State.

Parading the suspects in Birniwa Local Government Area of Jigawa State, Commander of the 3 Brigade Nigeria Army Kano, Brig. Gen. Hamisu Hassan, said the suspects were arrested at a filling station near Jigawa-Yobe boarder axis with additional 180 empty jerry cans.

Our Kano correspondent, Idris Jibrin reports that the suspects were.

According to the Commander, the fuel tanker with Registration Number KANO WDL 270 SL and a Land Cruiser Jeep with registration number LAGOS AQ 432 AAA were recovered from the suspects, some of whom are from the neighbouring Niger Republic.

Brig. Gen. Hassan said that Operation Salama will not take any chances in supporting the effort of the combat troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the North-East, adding that the army will not rule out possibilities of Boko Haram sending their suppliers to get fuel in the North-West due the military’s fire power in the North-East.

Brig. Gen. Hamisu said the suspects will be handed over to other relevant agencies for appropriate investigation and prosecution where necessary, as joint security forces continue their aggressive patrol along all border towns, exit and entry points from the North-West to the North-East.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:04am On Oct 18, 2015
IT SEEMS NA IS RECIEVING NEW PLATFORMS

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2015
RANDOM PICTURES.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ocelot2006(m): 12:35pm On Oct 18, 2015
bidexiii:
The Nigerian Army on Thursday raised alarm over the use of deadly cluster bombs by the boko haram terrorist group.

Rabe Abubakar, defence spokesman warned residents of the north-east to be on the lookout.

''Nigerians living in the northeast and any other parts of the country to be on the lookout for cluster bombs sometimes called scatter bombs as the Nigeria army engineers serving in Adamawa state had recovered some caches of these bombs in the contested areas in recent time. The military high command has discovered that the Boko Haram terrorists (BHT) in the areas have used such lethal instruments over time to push their callous terrorist cause.

''For easy identification, it is important to note that cluster bombs are bombs that house submunitions, that is, smaller explosives contained in individual cases. These bombs are used against large areas containing many targets, such as columns of vehicles, marketplaces, places of worship or large troop concentration as the case may be.

''Some cluster bombs carry several hundred of very small explosives wrapped in a metal container like a pot while others carry larger submunitions that can find specific targets such as tanks. Some of these submunitions do not blow up immediately, but remain behind and act as landmines. This can be an acceptable explanation for the recovery of caches of these bombs by Nigeria army engineers in the area.

''The public is hereby requested to be wary of such concealed dangerous equipment now being used by the terrorist elements to cause havoc to both innocent lives and property. The public is also advised to report such objects/materials if seen to security agencies for prompt action. The terrorists are desperate and frustrated and could use any cruel instrument to actualise their evil intention.

The army was probably refering to daisy chained shells used as IEDs.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:10pm On Oct 18, 2015
ocelot2006:

The army was probably refering to daisy chained shells used as IEDs.

Hmmmn you they talk sense here?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ocelot2006(m): 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2015
bidexiii:

Hmmmn you they talk sense here?

Ha, bros we dey quarrel? I'm merely referring to the tactic previously used by Iraqi sunni insurgents and Al quaida affiliates during the bloody iraqi insurgency. They basically use to connect artillery shells together (hence the name daisy chain) and bury them along with the detonator. Whole idea behind this is to take out heavy American military vehicles like the M1A1 tank, the Bradleys, and later Stryker vehicles. Boko Horam may have adopted same tactics, hence the warning from the Nigerian military.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:29pm On Oct 18, 2015
ocelot2006:

Ha, bros we dey quarrel? I'm merely referring to the tactic previously used by Iraqi sunni insurgents and Al quaida affiliates during the bloody iraqi insurgency. They basically use to connect artillery shells together (hence the name daisy chain) and bury them along with the detonator. Whole idea behind this is to take out heavy American military vehicles like the M1A1 tank, the Bradleys, and later Stryker vehicles. Boko Horam may have adopted same tactics, hence the warning from the Nigerian military.

Yeap av seing such shells connected together ? And even on nigerian army website posted such pictures connected with a fuse and they name it cluster bombs. I'll for the pictures in my archive!
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 4:03pm On Oct 18, 2015
ocelot2006:

Fragement/parts of cluster bombs with artillery shells his also used in the north eastern part of Nigeria.

The last two picture shows cluster bombs and artillery shells

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:18pm On Oct 18, 2015
More...........

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:47pm On Oct 18, 2015
Soldiers foil suicide attack at Nigeria army base

Nigerian soldiers shot dead a suspected suicide bomber outside a military base in the northeast on Sunday, detonating explosives concealed in her handbag, a civilian vigilante and a military source told AFP.

The target was thought to be the Maimalari army barracks -- the main military base in Maiduguri, which has been hit repeatedly in recent months by Boko Haram Islamists.

"Soldiers at Maimalari army barracks this morning (Sunday) foiled a suicide attack by a female bomber," said Babakura Kolo, from the civilian volunteer force assisting troops against the rebels.

The woman approached the barracks around 7:00 am (0600 GMT) and headed towards the gates, he said. Military guards at the gates shouted at her to stop for security checks but she ignored them and continued walking towards the gates, he added.

"She continued walking with her handbag slung on her shoulder, despite repeated shouts from the soldiers asking her stop.

"One of the soldiers opened fire on the woman and the handbag exploded, blowing the woman to pieces."

There were no other casualties in the explosion, which one military officer in the city described as an "attempted suicide attack by Boko Haram terrorists".

Boko Haram has intensified its use of multiple suicide bombers to inflict maximum casualties, with secondary explosions detonated as people rush to help victims of the initial blast.

At least 34 people were killed in a wave of attacks on Thursday night and Friday morning on the outskirts of Maiduguri, while last month 117 died in explosions in the Ajilari Cross area of the Borno state capital.

Of the six suicide attacks in Nigeria this month, four have been in Maiduguri, killing at least 48 and injuring 99.

The military source, who requested anonymity as he is not authorised to talk to the media, said the use of human bombs was a sign of the group's desperation and frustration at the fight-back by troops.

"They are looking for every opportunity to hit back, which is why they have resorted to soft-target attacks on mosques and markets and such attacks on a military base is intended to show the terrorists are still strong," the officer added.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by agaugust: 9:03pm On Oct 18, 2015
bidexiii:

I don't think the middle one is D30 howitzer, am talking about the middle picture not the first one?

The trail that rests the gun stabilized on the ground, is different from that of the D-30.

It is British made 105 mm calibre L118 Light Gun.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:14pm On Oct 18, 2015
agaugust:

The trail that rests the gun stabilized on the ground, is different from that of the D-30.

It is British made 105 mm calibre L118 Light Gun.

Yeap confirmed now ; tnks man.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:15am On Oct 19, 2015
NAF/NA RANDOM PICTURES

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:22am On Oct 19, 2015
Al-Shabaab tax collectors kill 4 soldiers in Gedo region

At least 4 Somali military personnel were killed in an ambush attack by Al shabaab militants near Garbaharey town, the regional capital of Gedo, reports said on Sunday.

Al shabaab intercepted a military convoy moved from Garbaharey city while on their way to Warta-ad area as a reinforcement to Govt troops battling militants who were collecting livestock as annual alms from locals.

Warta-ad area is located 7Kms away from Garbaharey city.

Al-Shabaab, which still controls most of Middle Jubba and Gedo regions, of southern Somalia has started collecting camels, cattle and goats from people in the towns of under their control during this month as Zako.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:04pm On Oct 19, 2015
NA DESTROYING BH HIDE-OUTS

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2015
Are these pics recently taken or old ones?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 1:13pm On Oct 19, 2015
I
Seungrandfather:
Are these pics recently taken or old ones?

Recently taken.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 19, 2015
I swear I really find it difficult to understand why Nigeria military can not start producing weapons of their own, especially fighter jets. The Americans, Russian and host of other countries started from somewhere. If one can actually create time to watch American military history on youtube u would not believe that they could be where they are today. And they got there because they learn from their mistakes.
Sometimes, when I look at this issue of Boko Haram I see it as a sort of "awakening call" for Nigerians to start developing. We call our self "the giant of Africa" and we can't even produce some advance weapons of our own. And don't tell me that "we have also develop something in the form of drone". That "Gulma" that the Nigeria military presented to Jonathan was not the definition of a drone. You could hear it noise in Abuja when it is just in Lagos. That was a bit of exaggeration but it is not far from the truth.
Nigeria really has to learn from it past and start developing it own weapons
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:19pm On Oct 19, 2015
Seungrandfather:
I swear I really find it difficult to understand why Nigeria military can not start producing weapons of their own, especially fighter jets. The Americans, Russian and host of other countries started from somewhere. If one can actually create time to watch American military history on youtube u would not believe that they could be where they are today. And they got there because they learn from their mistakes.
Sometimes, when I look at this issue of Boko Haram I see it as a sort of "awakening call" for Nigerians to start developing. We call our self "the giant of Africa" and we can't even produce some advance weapons of our own. And don't tell me that "we have also develop something in the form of drone". That "Gulma" that the Nigeria military presented to Jonathan was not the definition of a drone. You could hear it noise in Abuja when it is just in Lagos. That was a bit of exaggeration but it is not far from the truth.
Nigeria really has to learn from it past and start developing it own weapons

Thanks man for the contribution and awakened call..... !

1st until corruption is tackled, I see we Nigerians go no where in all sectors including security & defense sector, because the truth is,its when we are OK then we can start thinking of going into producing hard wares our selves, talk less of industrialization. I.e autobiles, electronics then exporting them. And I av proofs for such countries that as grown through those steps e.g china,egypt,southafrica e.t.c and they are still growing. A very good country to imitate is China . look at China defense industry today? , did you see there 70th victory day anniversary, to me it's not a show of Defence capabilities but a show of industrialization and how far the've grown! Let me stop there cos I might keep on typing on and on like that!

Secondly, we black or should I say Nigerians are not security "MINDED". How? ; let me expantiate or shed light to what I mean......?
There always two ways to respond to a situation ; "being proactive and being passive "
Now these go to all sectors of our economy ; we are always passive. I call it or Nigerians call it the "fire brigade attitude" we wait till something bad happens and even when it's happening to neighboring countries or elsewhere we are too blind to see or learn from it. Boko Haram is a lesson well though to the Defence and Nigeria armed forces,but the question is av we truly learnt our lessons yet? I think we av not learnt yet. Nigerians where dying in there thousands and the federal government wanted to buy weapons and hardware that can change the tide of the war but we where blocked, I think you know the whole story but our leaders yet haven't learnt from that simply because we don't belive or we see investment in defense and security as a wastage? Even at the risk or cost of there citizens life!
The only way out is to invite private sector to invest and the federal government must be 100% supportive in terms of research and purchase etc to further bluster such private organization ; look at denel industry in South Africa, they produce large variety of military high techs and blue prints. My point is no amount that is too much to invest in for country like Nigeria with outrageous population, a very stretched,vast and porous border to protect.

Nothing works in a corrupt society, because corruption only let's you think of embezzlement and misappropriation of public funds,its like a Vail! Nigeria is rich and blessed with great mind,resources,population and last of all we are rich.

Our top brass and leaders should learn from what is happening in syria,somalia,yemen,afghan and Iraq.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2015
What Hinders Anti-Boko Haram Fight - Olonisakin

The Nigerian military seniors have told President Muhammadu Buhari what hampers the ongoing anti-Boko Haram war in the northeast of the country .
The major objectives of the meetings were the review of the military operations and the discussion of the December deadline set for the army to crush insurgency in Nigeria.

Olonisakin explained that the weather conditions and some logistics challenges were posing serious hindrance to the counter-terrorism battle.

“We briefed the president on the security situation on the ground after a 60-day review and we had to brief him on the challenges we have and ensure that the mandate we have is properly delivered.

“Of course, the challenges we are looking at are the issues of probably the weather as it were and some other logistics that we feel we should have so that the mandate can be quickly delivered.”

However, responding to the question regarding the deadline, specifically whether  the military was considering the deadline shift, he replied categorically:

“We have not said that. The mandate is that we should clear Boko Haram from the occupied territories and ensure that we reclaim all the lost grounds. That is exactly what we are doing… It is a military operation and military operations have timelines and we are working on them assiduously.”

Aliyu Ismaila from the Ministry of Defence, on his part, added:

“We are here to brief the President on the situation of what armed forces have been doing in the North-East and the South-South. That is exactly what we discussed with Mr President.

“The directive (from the president) is that we should continue what we have been doing and in the next few days, there will be another meeting.

“But by and large, the president is excited and confident that the leadership of the Nigerian armed forces that he puts in will do us proud.”

Meanwhile, Senator Shehu Sani has recently identified 13 factors responsible, in his opinion, for the non-stopping Boko Haram attacks.

In conclusion of his piece the politician claimed that in order to end insurgency in the country, “we must break the wall of fear”.

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.