Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3032050 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:51am On Mar 29, 2016
Dakar Launches “Obangame / Saharan Express 2016”, a Multinational Maritime Exercise

The first combined exercise "Obangame / Saharan Express 2016" was officially launched on March 17, 2016, at Senegalese National Marine Naval Base, by authorities of the participating and observers countries. The ceremony was presided over by U.S. Embassy Chargé d'Affaires ai Sandra Clark, Rear Admiral Cheikh Bara Sissoko, Chief of Staff of the Navy, Commander U.S. 6th Fleet, Vice Adm. James Foggo, and Brigadier General Birame Diop, Chief of Staff of the Senegalese Air Force.

Exercise Obangame/Saharan Express is a multinational maritime exercise sponsored by U.S. Africa Command and facilitated by U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa/U.S. 6th Fleet that brings together African, European, South American, and U.S. forces — part of a Global Network of Navies — to enhance cooperation and expertise in maritime security operations. The purpose of the exercise is to test multinational maritime forces in a broad range of naval operations in order to increase capability and capacity, as a collective whole, for Gulf of Guinea nations to deter piracy, illicit trafficking, and other maritime threats. The exercise will take place throughout the Gulf of Guinea, and will have land-based Maritime Operations Centers throughout the region.
In the past, Obangam Express and Saharan Express were separate exercises that took place in different areas of West Africa. This year they have been combined to increase capacity building for more partners across West Africa.

There are 27 participating nations in Obangame/Saharan Express 2016: Angola, Benin, Belgium, Brazil, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Denmark, Equatorial Guinea, France, Gabon, Germany, Ghana, Morocco, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Portugal, Republic of Congo, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, South Africa, Spain, Togo, Turkey, United States, and the United Kingdom, as well as the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS).

This Obangame/Saharan Express 2016 exercise has ended on March 27 with a symposium in Douala, Cameroon.

1st picture are Gabon navy sailors and Gendarmerie members conduct a boarding exercise aboard USNS Spearhead (T-EPF 1) during exercise

2nd picture are Cameroon sailors approach USNS Spearhead (T-EPF 1) during a boarding exercise for exercise Obangame/Saharan Express 2016

3rd picture is Gabon Sailors and Gendarmerie members apprehend a simulated pirate during a boarding exercise aboard USNS Spearhead (T-EPF 1)

4th picture is Boatswain's Mate 1st Class Justin Davis, right, an embarked security team member, shows an M240 machine gun to Royal Marine members during a ship tour aboard USNS Spearhead (T-EPF 1).

1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:56am On Mar 29, 2016
OBANGAME 2016

NNS THUNDER; NNSBSC on Nns thunders deck

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
NAF chief visits troops at Easter, appreciates commitment to nation

The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Baba Abubakar, has expressed appreciations to troops serving in the North East for their sacrifice and commitment to the nation.
Air Marshal Abubakar expressed the appreciation while speaking in Maiduguri and Yola during the Easter celebrations with troops in the frontline.
Addressing officers and men of the Nigerian Air Force participating in the counter insurgency operation against the Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs), the CAS said “those who deserve standing ovation, and our sincere appreciation as a nation, are those living in trenches at this time of Easter, those who have sacrificed their comfort that we may have peace and stability in the North East.”
Air Marshal Abubakar stated that “the entire nation is grateful to the men and women of our Armed Forces for their selfless sacrifices and commitment to the course of the nation.”
While urging the NAF personnel not to rest on their oars in their spirited service to the nation, the CAS expressed the belief that the ongoing operations against the BHTs is at its tail end hence he charged them not to be complacent but to continue to put in their best in the execution of assigned tasks.
Speaking on efforts to address welfare of the personnel, Air Marshal Abubakar stated that the NAF is cognisant of the fact that its human resource is its most valuable asset hence its willingness to do everything within its reach to make the personnel comfortable in order to operate optimally.

As a result, he assured the personnel in Maiduguri that their welfare needs would be addressed even as he noted the current shortage of living quarters in the Units. In Yola, the CAS used the opportunity of his visit to commission a new block of officers’ accommodation and eye clinic on NAF Base, Yola.
Meanwhile, Air Marshal Abubakar has further availed himself the opportunity of his visit to the North East to pay homage to the political and traditional leadership in Borno and Adamawa States. The CAS visited the Shehu of Borno, His Royal Highness, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-Kanemi, in his palace to express gratitude to the Shehu and people of Borno State for their continued support to the Nigerian Air Force.
Air Marshal Abubakar used the occasion to provide insight into the plan by the NAF to expand its current manpower disposition and facilities in Borno State. Similarly, in Yola, the Chief paid homage to the His Excellency the Governor of Adawama State, Senator Bindo Umaru Jubrilla; and the Lamido of Adamawa, His Royal Highness, Alhaji Muhammadu Barkindo Aliyu Musdafa, where he expressed similar appreciation for their support to the NAF in the state.
It would be recalled that the CAS had embarked on similar trips to the North East in December 2015 when he spent the Christmas and New Year with NAF troops in the frontline. The objective, the CAS noted, is to cater for the emotional and psychological needs of the personnel, and to boost their morale.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:26am On Mar 30, 2016
#CTCION........

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:30pm On Mar 30, 2016
NN AW 109E helicopter participating in OBANGAME/SAHARA 2016, @ the background is NNS THUNDER

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by realnas(m): 4:32pm On Mar 30, 2016
bidexiii:
#CTCION........

it seems lik the love affair btw the NA and the toyota is nt comin to an end any time soon . Incase they hv forgotten the casspirr is available in south africa if they dnt like they can ramp up the big foot mrap possess or they can buy btrs frm russia and fmr soviet republics the btrs are dirt cheap ,most of them are sittin in wharehouses begging for buyers kai this our army no dey hear word at all
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2016
realnas:
it seems lik the love affair btw the NA and the toyota is nt comin to an end any time soon . Incase they hv forgotten the casspirr is available in south africa if they dnt like they can ramp up the big foot mrap possess or they can buy btrs frm russia and fmr soviet republics the btrs are dirt cheap ,most of them are sittin in wharehouses begging for buyers kai this our army no dey hear word at all

Governors keep donating hilux and what do you think ; they av to put it to good use.

But the most painful part his that is our generals are being covered with Vail or his that are we that poor, there russia and chinese equipment that are damn cheap. God help the armed forces.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:14am On Mar 31, 2016
Boko Haram attack in Niger kills six soldiers

Six soldiers from Niger’s army were killed in an ambush by Boko Haram militants, the country’s interior ministry said.

The attack happened near the town of Diffa close to the border with Nigeria early on Wednesday.

It comes two weeks after a Boko Haram assault on a military convoy in the same area that left one soldier dead.

The Islamist group is based in Nigeria but is being tackled by a multinational force, including soldiers from Niger.

In the latest attack, three other soldiers were wounded. Niger’s military deployed aircraft to try and track those responsible soon afterwards.

Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou has been praised in the West for rallying neighbouring countries to fight Boko Haram.

On Wednesday, the country’s constitutional court confirmed the result of the second round of presidential elections, which saw Issoufou re-elected with more than 92% of the vote, a result the opposition dismissed, reports the BBC.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:06pm On Mar 31, 2016
#RANDOM PICTURES

NAF SF

Made by NAF INSTITUTE OF TECH; Unmanned robot

NN speed boat and ship; 3rd & 4th picture.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2016
GUYS YOU HAVE TO WATCH THESE VIDEO

EASTER IN THE FRONTLINES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-S7ZMbPb78?a

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by X2X(m): 10:42pm On Mar 31, 2016
bidexiii:
EASTER IN THE FRONTLINES

Are those Alphajets and MIG 21s taking off and landing? Honestly, they are looking newer than I had expected but we really need to upgrade our capabilities. I wish I was Minister of Defense. I would be ordering us some Su-34s and Ka-52s.

On a daily basis, the international media is full of news about Syrian refuges. Why is there no commensurate international attention/concern for the plight of the displaced people in the North East of Nigeria or other conflict areas in Africa? Na wa oh. There was a scene with two soldiers carrying an old man out from a plane on a makeshift stretcher. Very touching.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by X2X(m): 10:44pm On Mar 31, 2016
bidexiii:
#RANDOM PICTURES

NAF SF

Made by NAF INSTITUTE OF TECH; Unmanned robot

NN speed boat and ship; 3rd & 4th picture.

What is the point of that Unmmaned robot? sad
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by M14A1: 11:57pm On Mar 31, 2016
bidexiii:

EASTER IN THE FRONTLINES

Thanks
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:10am On Apr 01, 2016
NAF RANDOM PICTURES....

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:24am On Apr 01, 2016
X2X:

Are those Alphajets and MIG 21s taking off and landing? Honestly, they are looking newer than I had expected but we really need to upgrade our capabilities. I wish I was Minister of Defense. I would be ordering us some Su-34s and Ka-52s.

On a daily basis, the international media is full of news about Syrian refuges. Why is there no commensurate international attention/concern for the plight of the displaced people in the North East of Nigeria or other conflict areas in Africa? Na wa oh. There was a scene with two soldiers carrying an old man out from a plane on a makeshift stretcher. Very touching.

Those are alpha jets and f7 in the video; talking about upgrades I don't think that the next step we should take. These birds should retired by now especially the f7, then the Alpha should be only used for training.

But I believe very soon the NAF should start receiving new plattforms..

Syria is seriously a war- torn zone, a kind of civil turned into terrorism.....? and don't forget the politics and power play between two giants involved so there would be more world attention.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:27am On Apr 01, 2016
#NAF OPERATIONAL PICTURES

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:20am On Apr 01, 2016
#CTCION PICTURES....

A NA UNMANNED MINE CLEARER ; "BOZENA - 5" ON A LOW-BIRD LORRY

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:11am On Apr 01, 2016
WHAT AN IDEOLOGY......

I wonder what ideology BH is fighting for or against " western ideology is forbidden ". even when they MALE plate there hiar.................... shocked shocked grin grin

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by realnas(m): 11:55am On Apr 01, 2016
grin
bidexiii:
WHAT AN IDEOLOGY......

I wonder what ideology BH is fighting for or against " westerj ideology ".l, even when they plate there hiar.................... shocked shocked grin grin
jihadi swagzzz.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by realnas(m): 12:03pm On Apr 01, 2016
bidexiii:
#CTCION PICTURES....

A NA UNMANNED MINE CLEARER ; "BOZENA - 5" ON A LOW-BIRD LORRY
oga bidex hw many units were bought?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 01, 2016
@bidexiii You did a good job answering my questions sir. To be more precise, am looking at NAF and from research, its only NA that offers DSSC and SSC. Since NAF only grants DSSC, does that mean that your career is only limited to such professional arms? My background is business admin and logic lets me know my path being DSSC might only end me in Admin, at least in peace time. Thats why am curious to know if conversion from DSSC to Regular after the stipulated period will lead to any career change.

Cheers!

bidexiii:

1; in the NAF there is no much arm/units you can join as a D.S.S.C officer like the army to see combact. but i think first of all you have an engineering background, i mean you have to be an engineering graduate in the airforce to see the few changes of witnessing combat. in the airforce these are the arms that see combat; logistics and communication, operations and tactical air command, aircraft engineering and maintenance and mobility etc...those are the few i know.

2;no i dont think so........?

3; D.S.S.C is a 9 month intensive military training for professionals drawn from various disciplines to serve as officers in the non combat services of the Army, Navy and the Air Force. while N.D.A is an instituition or academy where they train future military officers.
and i dont know if you have ever heard of the S.S.C ; SHORT SERVICE COMMISION.

i hope you know that even if you join the ARMY through D.S.S.C your chances of seeing combat is 1 over 100......? and thats why the military has the short service commision *S.S.C* FOR GRADUATES WHO WANT TO SEE COMBAT....!

in order words you can join the navy,army or airforce through the S.S.C to see COMBAT

hope i was able to answer your question...
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:00pm On Apr 01, 2016
realnas:
oga bidex hw many units were bought?

6 where initially ordered and delivered. But I heard from a reliable source that additional units where ordered all from Slovakia

Sorry it's the BOZENA -4, NA procured.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:04pm On Apr 01, 2016
realnas:
grin jihadi swagzzz.

grin grin grin grin the swaggaaa done turn madness..... grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by iblawi(m): 3:32pm On Apr 01, 2016
bidexiii:

6 where initially ordered and delivered. But I heard from a reliable source that additional units where ordered all from Slovakia

Sorry it's the BOZENA -4, NA procured.
Bros, BOZENA-5 is boldly written on equipment in the picture.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:39pm On Apr 01, 2016
#CTCION IMAGES.....

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
iblawi:

Bros, BOZENA-5 is boldly written on equipment in the picture.

Thanks @iblawi I never noticed, but I remembered last year when the hardware was ordered it was the bozena 4, they ordered. May be the army hirarchy settled for the latest version.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by sczeska: 3:53pm On Apr 01, 2016
bidexiii:
#NAF OPERATIONAL PICTURES
Bro, thanks for keeping me entertained
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by rugged7(m): 7:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:40pm On Apr 01, 2016
sczeska:

Bro, thanks for keeping me entertained

Tnks but you can also entertain us by being a contributor....... grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by sczeska: 8:44pm On Apr 01, 2016
bidexiii:

Tnks but you can also entertain us by being a contributor....... grin grin
Baba i will try my best.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:58am On Apr 02, 2016
sczeska:

Baba i will try my best.

Tnks mate.... wink
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:36am On Apr 02, 2016
Nigeria: 'Subdued' Boko Haram video raises flags

The video is missing the usual trademarks: Abubakar Shekau's taunting and boasting, his signature chewing stick, his rifle.

For years every time Nigeria's Boko Haram released an audio or video message, it did so either to counter a government narrative about the insurgency in the Lake Chad region or to simply sell its own. The video from last Thursday, March 24 – purportedly by group leader Abubakar Shekau – did not quite fit this bill.

In the video, a somber Shekau declared that "the end has come for me" while also saying he was still alive. But the poorly shot video was significantly bereft of the usual Shekau trademarks: his repeated taunting of Nigerian officials, chewing stick, constant boasting about the strength of the movement, and his rifle.

Many analysts dismissed the video as fake. They pointed to a number of inconsistencies in the footage, such as Shekau referring to the group by its old name in place of the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP), the name it adopted last year after it pledged allegiance to Daesh.

"The insurgents have in conversations I have had and others have had with them denounced this video and said it is not from them," Fulan Nasrullah, a prominent expert on Boko Haram, told Anadolu Agency.

Nasrullah, quoting intelligence sources, said the video appeared to have been shot using old footage of Shekau.

Ryan Cummings, a top African security analyst, agrees.

"I question its authenticity. The image of Shekau seems to have been superimposed, along with the rayat al-uqab flag in the left-hand corner," Cummings said.

He also noted that the video also contains the old Boko Haram insignia which was discontinued when the group became ISWAP.

"It is also suspicious that Shekau makes a video appearance given that he has not done so since pledging allegiance to ISIS. All his messages have been in the form of audio," he added.

With flags raised over the video’s authenticity, some have suggested that it was produced to bolster Nigerian government claims that it has “technically defeated” the insurgents. The government now says the next phase is to rebuild the vastly damaged northeastern region.

If this was the reason for the video, it was a huge success, as most Nigerians relished seeing the once boastful Shekau appearing miserably subdued.

Nasrullah believes the "obvious suspect [behind the video] would be the government, since it supports their ‘technically defeated’ narrative if interpreted the way it has been".

But could the video be real?

Nigeria's defense headquarters has neither dismissed the video as fake nor confirmed it as genuine.

"The said video clips should ... be discounted as it could be another ploy or antics of the terrorists to keep our innocent citizen off their current security alertness to maximize casualties if attacked," defense spokesman Brig-Gen. Rabe Abubakar said in a statement.

Some analysts say it could possibly be genuine, and that the oddities in the video may tell how badly hit the insurgents are or imply a radical shift within the ranks of the militants and their relationship with Daesh.

"I cannot understand why some are quick to dismiss the video as fake," Patrick Agbambu, president of Security Watch Africa, told Anadolu Agency.

Agbambu said he had visited Borno and Yobe, the two northeastern states where the insurgents had held vast territories, and can confirm that they have been "decimated" to the extent claimed by the army.

"The Nigerian army has terribly degraded the militants, including their IT capabilities. Their supply routes have been depleted or blocked. Their infrastructure has been damaged. This could affect everything. [Nigerian President Muhammadu] Buhari's shuttle diplomacy may well have played some role too," he added.

Despite this, the analyst warned Nigeria against complacency, as the video could be a strategy and the insurgency may well "still be evolving and adapting".

If the video is genuine, Cummings says it means a lot – although he insists this conclusion is far-fetched.

"In terms of its significance, it could signal perhaps a change in leadership or perhaps even focus for Boko Haram," he stated with a caveat that he doesn't believe the video is "legitimate".For years every time Nigeria's Boko Haram released an audio or video message, it did so either to counter a government narrative about the insurgency in the Lake Chad region or to simply sell its own. The video from last Thursday, March 24 – purportedly by group leader Abubakar Shekau – did not quite fit this bill.

In the video, a somber Shekau declared that "the end has come for me" while also saying he was still alive. But the poorly shot video was significantly bereft of the usual Shekau trademarks: his repeated taunting of Nigerian officials, chewing stick, constant boasting about the strength of the movement, and his rifle.

Many analysts dismissed the video as fake. They pointed to a number of inconsistencies in the footage, such as Shekau referring to the group by its old name in place of the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP), the name it adopted last year after it pledged allegiance to Daesh.

"The insurgents have in conversations I have had and others have had with them denounced this video and said it is not from them," Fulan Nasrullah, a prominent expert on Boko Haram, told Anadolu Agency.

Nasrullah, quoting intelligence sources, said the video appeared to have been shot using old footage of Shekau.

Ryan Cummings, a top African security analyst, agrees.

"I question its authenticity. The image of Shekau seems to have been superimposed, along with the rayat al-uqab flag in the left-hand corner," Cummings said.

He also noted that the video also contains the old Boko Haram insignia which was discontinued when the group became ISWAP.

"It is also suspicious that Shekau makes a video appearance given that he has not done so since pledging allegiance to ISIS. All his messages have been in the form of audio," he added.

With flags raised over the video’s authenticity, some have suggested that it was produced to bolster Nigerian government claims that it has “technically defeated” the insurgents. The government now says the next phase is to rebuild the vastly damaged northeastern region.

If this was the reason for the video, it was a huge success, as most Nigerians relished seeing the once boastful Shekau appearing miserably subdued.

Nasrullah believes the "obvious suspect [behind the video] would be the government, since it supports their ‘technically defeated’ narrative if interpreted the way it has been".

But could the video be real?

Nigeria's defense headquarters has neither dismissed the video as fake nor confirmed it as genuine.

"The said video clips should ... be discounted as it could be another ploy or antics of the terrorists to keep our innocent citizen off their current security alertness to maximize casualties if attacked," defense spokesman Brig-Gen. Rabe Abubakar said in a statement.

Some analysts say it could possibly be genuine, and that the oddities in the video may tell how badly hit the insurgents are or imply a radical shift within the ranks of the militants and their relationship with Daesh.

"I cannot understand why some are quick to dismiss the video as fake," Patrick Agbambu, president of Security Watch Africa, told Anadolu Agency.

Agbambu said he had visited Borno and Yobe, the two northeastern states where the insurgents had held vast territories, and can confirm that they have been "decimated" to the extent claimed by the army.

"The Nigerian army has terribly degraded the militants, including their IT capabilities. Their supply routes have been depleted or blocked. Their infrastructure has been damaged. This could affect everything. [Nigerian President Muhammadu] Buhari's shuttle diplomacy may well have played some role too," he added.

Despite this, the analyst warned Nigeria against complacency, as the video could be a strategy and the insurgency may well "still be evolving and adapting".

If the video is genuine, Cummings says it means a lot – although he insists this conclusion is far-fetched.

"In terms of its significance, it could signal perhaps a change in leadership or perhaps even focus for Boko Haram," he stated with a caveat that he doesn't believe the video is "legitimate".

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.