Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid (67571 Views)

Nigeria’s Manufacturing Sector Expands In May / Woman Incurs N757,000 Debt At A Bar In Lagos (See List Of Items) / This Is How Much Prices Of Items Have Skyrocketed (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by LordReed(m): 1:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
voltron:
Since 2012 I used a couple of expensive methods to purchase goods off Amazon not limited to the following
1: Buy and Ship to American Address of a Friend arriving Nigeria in a week or two
2: Use Nigerian Shops who buy on your behalf and ship at exorbitant prices and +5% Black Market USD$
3: Use American re-shipping and forwarding agents such as MyUs.com

all the above did not exactly satisfy my hunger for original/premium quality goods. Rather than fight with Nigerian shops selling knock-offs or out-dated and on-sale goods for more than 5 times the price on Amazon. I decided to try Amazon today and viola!! they do ship to Nigeria using my GTBank MasterCard. I quickly placed an order for some items and checked-out my cart. goods should arrive this April 17 at most.

My Question is.. How are Nigerian Entrepreneurs going to match Amazon in pricing and quality. Jumia and Konga have only raised the hunger for online shopping without the capacity to meet it appropriately. but with Amazon in the picture.. won't Nigerians move their purchases elsewhere.. what happens to the affiliate marketing schemes and other online retailers like SLOT etc.

Konga and Jumia have nothing to fear yet. I just checked Amazon out now and shipping plus handling costs are way too much. For a $200 item that weighs less than 5lbs they are charging N14k that is almost half of the cost of the item. If I order from Amazon I will still use a freight forwarder with far cheaper shipping rates.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 08, 2015
LordReed:

Konga and Jumia have nothing to fear yet. I just checked Amazon out now and shipping plus handling costs are way too much. For a $200 item that weighs less than 5lbs they are charging N14k that is almost half of the cost of the item. If I order from Amazon I will still use a freight forwarder with far cheaper shipping rates.

Perhaps. but all charges are pre-paid. you do not need a freight forwarder at least that is my understanding.. but let my goods arrive first
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by ibietela2(m): 1:46pm On Apr 08, 2015
voltron:

me too but that was only restricted to books and DVDs, now you have items well over $3000 that you can order and they are shipped to Nigeria.

Jewellery, Clothes, Shoes, Computers, Toys.. maybe not a whole range of Amazon retailers but the options are much broader than books and DVDs

Electronics now included?
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by LordReed(m): 2:28pm On Apr 08, 2015
voltron:

Perhaps. but all charges are pre-paid. you do not need a freight forwarder at least that is my understanding.. but let my goods arrive first

I didn't mean you needed a freight forwarder to buy from Amazon , I meant I will use a freight forwarder because Amazon's shipping cost are too high. I even tried buying a 12 dollar item and the shipping cost was N8k plus, no way is this going to affect Jumia or Konga until the shipping costs drop.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 08, 2015
voltron:

You have to check the box that says "Ship to Nigeria" to get a list of goods eligible for shipment to Nigeria

Thanks for the tip man wink
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by dimdim001(m): 2:54pm On Apr 08, 2015
voltron:
Since 2012 I used a couple of expensive methods to purchase goods off Amazon not limited to the following
1: Buy and Ship to American Address of a Friend arriving Nigeria in a week or two
2: Use Nigerian Shops who buy on your behalf and ship at exorbitant prices and +5% Black Market USD$
3: Use American re-shipping and forwarding agents such as MyUs.com

all the above did not exactly satisfy my hunger for original/premium quality goods. Rather than fight with Nigerian shops selling knock-offs or out-dated and on-sale goods for more than 5 times the price on Amazon. I decided to try Amazon today and viola!! they do ship to Nigeria using my GTBank MasterCard. I quickly placed an order for some items and checked-out my cart. goods should arrive this April 17 at most.

My Question is.. How are Nigerian Entrepreneurs going to match Amazon in pricing and quality. Jumia and Konga have only raised the hunger for online shopping without the capacity to meet it appropriately. but with Amazon in the picture.. won't Nigerians move their purchases elsewhere.. what happens to the affiliate marketing schemes and other online retailers like SLOT etc.

Nice! Pls wen ur order arrives, can u let me knw hw d delivery went, like whether customs disturbed u or whether it wz shipped ryt to ur doorstep, pls dnt forget, thanks...Also, r u shipping to Lagos & is it an item wit free shipping?
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by zed7: 3:32pm On Apr 08, 2015
Nonsense. Only certain items ship to Nigeria. As far back as 2009, I shipped books and cds through Amazon UK to Nigeria. Guess what? I received it after 1 year via Nipost. I wish you good luck.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by LordReed(m): 3:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
Kizeeto:
My paper white! cry

Electronic goods can not be shipped by Amazon out of the US.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Anaebi: 4:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
LordReed:

My problems with Nigerians is that you can never get good answers from them all this things many guy here are saying doesn't make sense what i am expecting is for someone to come and educate others on what method that is easy and affordable to buy things either in Nigeria or outside like I shops in aliexpress now i want to buy HD TV but i don't know if aliexpress is better option or Nigeria own that the real answer and explanation am expecting here

1 Like

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
dimdim001:

Nice! Pls wen ur order arrives, can u let me knw hw d delivery went, like whether customs disturbed u or whether it wz shipped ryt to ur doorstep, pls dnt forget, thanks...Also, r u shipping to Lagos & is it an item wit free shipping?

1: Will notify the house when the goods arrive (see me talking like an experienced igbo importer grin )
2: I am shipping to Surulere/Lagos.
3: No Free-shipping but there is a paid-option to have accelerated shipping but it does not apply to the entire order if there are multiple items (only some qualify for accelerated shipping)
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by mikron(m): 6:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
Viciyus:

I dey do this bizz too.
Even if na second hand. You can't get it as low as that price he mention.

Check aliexpress. Compare there brand price for some good seller, and you go see. Shall some 419 still dey that aliexpress
u re right bro. even clone samsung galaxy s5 sef dey cost about 25-30k.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by LordReed(m): 6:57pm On Apr 08, 2015
Anaebi:

My problems with Nigerians is that you can never get good answers from them all this things many guy here are saying doesn't make sense what i am expecting is for someone to come and educate others on what method that is easy and affordable to buy things either in Nigeria or outside like I shops in aliexpress now i want to buy HD TV but i don't know if aliexpress is better option or Nigeria own that the real answer and explanation am expecting here

I would say it all depends on what you want to buy and your budget plus there is no one strategy everyone uses. The things I buy and ship may not favour what you want. For instance I have bought and shipped car parts from Amazon. When I saw what it was going to cost to me to ship I added other items at no extra shipping cost. That strategy is only good for certain conditions.

Generally if you want to buy from Amazon you are better off having someone else ship for you either friend/family coming back or a freight forwarder/shopping assistant. I use a freight forwarder because they seem to be reliable and cost-effective.

2 Likes

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 08, 2015
Damn!! Amazon is a big NO NO. I wanted to buy something of N1,500 and the shipping charge was N8,768.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by benzion72(m): 8:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
Will they take naira master card or i must go look for dollar card
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Youssouff10(m): 11:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
traware:
'Alibaba.com' is not a product buying/shipping service per se.Its more like the chinese version of Nigerias' ''
don't mislead pple by comparing Alibaba to OLX.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Youssouff10(m): 11:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
Anaebi:

www.nairaland.com/1186199/it-yourself-importation-guide-free
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 09, 2015
Has anybdy tried aliexpress?? Some items carry no shipping cost to naija while some do.
At least ive used it n stil using it tho.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by justi4jesu(f): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2015
amguud:
Has anybdy tried aliexpress?? Some items carry no shipping cost to naija while some do.
At least ive used it n stil using it tho.

You can't get genuine branded products on Ali express.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by mintyx(m): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2015
I wrote about how to order goods from USA and ship to Nigeria at a very cheap rate better than other frieight companies. Currently the company is even doing free promo on shipping and i guess its still on.

The cost of sending for instance a 14" laptop to Nigeria is about $40. Good thing is after this payment, you dont need to pay extra fee for custom duties. See the link to the post on nairaland here:

www.nairaland.com/2231366/how-buy-things-usa-get
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by OrderBay(f): 10:43am On Apr 09, 2015
You can also order from Amazon using the services of orderbay.com
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by MightyFortress: 10:57am On Apr 09, 2015
Ok.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Tobiustobius: 11:41am On Apr 09, 2015
LordReed:

I would say it all depends on what you want to buy and your budget plus there is no one strategy everyone uses. The things I buy and ship may not favour what you want. For instance I have bought and shipped car parts from Amazon. When I saw what it was going to cost to me to ship I added other items at no extra shipping cost. That strategy is only good for certain conditions.

Generally if you want to buy from Amazon you are better off having someone else ship for you either friend/family coming back or a freight forwarder/shopping assistant. I use a freight forwarder because they seem to be reliable and cost-effective.

Which freight forwarder have you used, with satisfactory results? Tired of the friend/family option.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by LordReed(m): 12:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
Tobiustobius:

Which freight forwarder have you used, with satisfactory results? Tired of the friend/family option.

Impex. They can receive and forward your stuff in the US and you don't pay until your goods arrive in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by afanide: 4:36pm On Apr 09, 2015
justi4jesu:

So where then can he get them?
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Tobiustobius: 5:40am On Apr 10, 2015
LordReed:

Impex. They can receive and forward your stuff in the US and you don't pay until your goods arrive in Nigeria.

Thanks, will check them out.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by OrderBay(f): 1:56pm On Apr 10, 2015
orderbay.com can also provide this service.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 10, 2015
justi4jesu:

Oh reali....d cloths ive bought and hair (weavon) so far has been authentic. Havnt tried any oda category.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by justi4jesu(f): 5:41pm On Apr 10, 2015
amguud:

Oh reali....d cloths ive bought and hair (weavon) so far has been authentic. Havnt tried any oda category.

Branded meaning products like Apple etc

Some of their clothes are what you pay for while some are nothing to write home about.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by bankot123: 1:46pm On Apr 14, 2015
LordReed:

pls how do I contact impex.
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by LordReed(m): 8:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
bankot123:
pls how do I contact impex.

Check here www​.impexworldwide.com/
Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 15, 2015
Well .. just to update the house.. my goods arrived yesterday - UPS delivered straight into my hands and i signed for it.

@2scorehigh
@adesegun121
@afanide
@amguud
@ammyluv2002
@Anaebi
@Arogba
@bankot123
@Bawsse
@benzion72
@bimbor
@BlackBaron
@bright007
@BuddhaPalm
@Canme4u
@cecegorz
@Chiaka
@ChukwuCantDie
@d33types
@deadie
@dicapino
@django1
@DualCore1
@duwdu
@ecel
@Equalizer
@FitnessNigeria
@FMary
@gmyguy
@GodMode
@goofyone
@hammedkola
@ibietela2
@infogenius
@Ishaka440
@iwriterng
@jcmaiah
@JideTheBlogger
@justi4jesu
@Kizeeto
@kolomax
@Lastdon02
@Lilshorecords
@LordReed
@MightyFortress
@mikron
@mintyx
@mulattoclaro
@n3rve
@naijacutee
@nairalandist
@niceguy7
@ocheejemb
@ojnnaco
@omanifrank
@Ontarget
@OrderBay
@podosci
@Prodeegee
@rexbuton
@richidinho
@sharpboyus
@sosanova
@stiles009
@sunnshyn
@tartar9
@Tejflow
@TheRealAdonye
@tmcleo2k2
@Tobiustobius
@traware
@ureach
@Viciyus
@worldgee101
@Youssouff10
@zed7
@ZINSOU

1 Like

Re: Amazon Expands Shipping Of Items To Nigeria - Jumia/konga Etc Be Afraid by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 15, 2015
Some may complain about the shipping cost and import deposit fees. but for me it is the confidence of buying original (heavily-discounted) stuff. I made at least 89% cost savings buying a watch sold by two popular jewellers on Lagos Island priced between N562k to N600k.. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How to Import cheap gadgets and other items for great profits / Paddy Adenuga Has A Message For Ladies Sliding Into His DM / Dynamics Intelligence Shuts Operations In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.