Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,758 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? (18625 Views)

Twitter Outburst As Patience Jonathan Fails To Show Up At The Inauguration / Ambode Condemns Oba's Outburst In 'strongest Terms' / Olisa Metuh Reacts To Orubebe’s Anti-Jega Outburst At Collation Center (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Mynd44: 9:59pm On Apr 11, 2015
honeric01:

I also didn't vote for a reason known to me.

one thing I need to know is, are the two leading candidates not Yoruba? if truly the igbos want to punish the Oba, should it be by voting one of the yorubas rather than vote their own candidate?

To me, the so called protest vote does not make sense..

The truth is that almost every reasonable Yoruba person condemned the Oba's comment but there was a limit to how they can condemn it (he is still the Oba, condemning him is the job of his council of chiefs) but then the PDP goons jumped on the situation....

Then on Agbaje's last speech, he subbed the Oba by saying Igbos should push APC into the Lagoon. The insult added to what the Oba had been getting from other Agbaje supporters did not go down well with a lot of people who might have even voted Agbaje.

It became a Yoruba people proving a point thing and as the OP said, they won't start a shouting match, they will quietly go into their "Rusted brown roofed house" and wait for when you will come into their hands and that happened today.

The PDP ought to have restrained it's supporters...the talk back was too much and at that point, they lost the edge they had

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by raumdeuter: 10:03pm On Apr 11, 2015
ok
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by vcume(f): 10:17pm On Apr 11, 2015
By reading the write up i came to the understanding that the oba's outburst could have been o political move to enable the pdp tp win the election in Lagos. But at the same time we should ask ourselves did the Oba actually make such a tribalistic comment or not?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by blank(f): 10:21pm On Apr 11, 2015
honeric01:

I also didn't vote for a reason known to me.

one thing I need to know is, are the two leading candidates not Yoruba? if truly the igbos want to punish the Oba, should it be by voting one of the yorubas rather than vote their own candidate?

To me, the so called protest vote does not make sense..

I don't know about protest votes. A lot of Igbos that I know did not go out to vote. As for me, I am still chilling in Enugu.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by blank(f): 10:22pm On Apr 11, 2015
vcume:
By reading the write up i came to the understanding that the oba's outburst could have been o political move to enable the pdp tp win the election in Lagos. But at the same time we should ask ourselves did the Oba actually make such a tribalistic comment or not?

Seems you have been living under a rock. The audio and video have been on front page.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by gists: 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2015
Mynd44:

The truth is that almost every reasonable Yoruba person condemned the Oba's comment but there was a limit to how they can condemn it (he is still the Oba, condemning him is the job of his council of chiefs) but then the PDP goons jumped on the situation....

Then on Agbaje's last speech, he subbed the Oba by saying Igbos should push APC into the Lagoon. The insult added to what the Oba had been getting from other Agbaje supporters did not go down well with a lot of people who might have even voted Agbaje.

It became a Yoruba people proving a point thing and as the OP said, they won't start a shouting match, they will quietly go into their "Rusted brown roofed house" and wait for when you will come into their hands and that happened today.

The PDP ought to have restrained it's supporters...the talk back was too much and at that point, they lost the edge they had
@the bolded. Very correct. Just imagine some as$holes giving the Oba 48hr ultimatum to apologise. Chai, Yorubas don suffer. Personally, I hold Jimi and PDP responsible. Their is a Yoruba saying that goes something like "bi o ni'gba ba she gbe igba e, La'she ma ba gbe" meaning it is the value you place on your wares and how you cherish it, that determines the value that others will place on it and how they respect it.
I may be wrong, but the way I see it is after the Oba's unfortunate speech, Jimi stylishly made the it look like the igbos are being deliberately victimised in Lagos. So, it was easy for some Igbo to relate with after the Oba's bruhaha. Meanwhile, all the sensational issues raised to "incite" the Igbos are general issues that all traders regardless of tribe complain about in Lagos. For example, Igbos are being taxed and levied. What about other traders? Don't they pay tax? I have relatives selling in Idumota market and I have an idea of how they complain about levies. Even civil servants complains. What about the Yorubas and others that lives in Lekki that complain daily of toll fees? Why make it look like it is only Igbos that pays multiple taxes unjustly? It essentially turned it into Yoruba vs Igbo. For me this is a crime for introducing ethnic politics into Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Evathyst(f): 10:31pm On Apr 11, 2015
Obiagelli:
This is the first time i will be commenting on the speech by the oba of lagos, to the average person or mind, it is a ridiculous statement, but looking at it from a political lense, it has become a case of the more you look, the less you see.

The Pdp
The oba's statements to the best of my understanding was not a public one, it was deliberately leaked by agents who taught it could be used to the advantage of the pdp's candidate in lagos since there is not religious cards to be played, ethnic card shocked they jumped at it. (they never learn)

The Apc
The apc was thrown into disarray, they momentum of winning at the center had suffered a setback, while many rushed to denounce the statement, the strategists saw and opportunity and they helped LOUD to music (forgive my english)

The Igbos
As expected, they were mad at the statement and rightly so, they also didn't fail to overblow it. It is expected that the igbos will give 90% of there votes to the pdp but something amazing happened in the last few days, i have seen more igbos (influential leaders) sit at the same tables with Apc chiefs (this would never have happened without this crisis) i have seen many igbo leaders accept apologies and even endorsed the Apc candidate. I have seen igbos in Apc wears and campaign buses around ladipo and alaba.

The yorubas
We expected the yorubas to give 40- 30% of their votes to jimi agbaje because a lot of them had chosen to vote the Apc at the center and the pdp in lagos, like it or not jimi is also yoruba BUT the tide has turned, the direct attacks on their Oba and the claim that lagos is no man's land coupled with jimi's overly courting the igbos at their detriment has irritated a lot of them. The yorubas won't do a shouting match, they act with a devastating bile (ask gej)

Jimi Agbaje
Agbaje also played to the gallery by making silly statements rather than being gentlemanly since the ball was in his court, he displayed obvious influence from bode George and obanikoro, this is not the jimi we know but the god's father push.

Obiagelli
I am indifferent to both candidates, as my fanatic support for the apc does not go beyond buhari and maybe elrufai and fashola. I can't wait to see the results.

VOTE NOT FIGHT.
Any day, any time, you're my e-sister. It's because of peeps like you dt I still believe in the one Nigeria bullsh*t.

Believe me, the alleged statement of the Oba was seriously politicised, at the end, who's now at the receiving end?

Dts why I believe the scumbag called barcanista is not for real. Else, one's love for GMB and hope for a better Nigeria is more important than any other thing. I mean as a progressive o!

I'm passionately supporting APC today, not because of anything but because of three great men.
1- Gen Buhari for his unassailable reputation of being incorruptible. One should find it hard to imagine that despite the high level of moral decadence in this country. There could still be one man, not just a man, but s former head of state who's unarguably incorruptible. God! Bless me with ds kinda virtue.
2- Bola Tinubu; for his unrelenting spirit and vision of rescuing yorubas from the shackles of PDP. and gradually transforming our party into a National party. Something even the great Awo couldn't achieve. Baba, more power to your elbow sir!
3- Babatunde Fashola; I've yet to see a better public achiever than this man. Apart from being an achiever, this man is also very intelligent.

As for me, I really don't give a hoot about that AMBODE of a guy, that guy looks like a scam to me. But for the respect I have for the people up there, I do rather vote him. After all, in Yoruba land, an Oba is always right. Even when he is wrong, he is still very right.

5 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Evathyst(f): 10:43pm On Apr 11, 2015
honeric01:

Would have voted APC but not sure of Ambode.. CV apart, I just feel he won't do half of what Fashola did because he's not as assertive as Fashola when the chips are down.
God bless you for this! Tot I'm the only one noticing ds. D guy looks like a scam to me. But I just kukuma dash APC the vote sha. I know it's the party I'm voting for and not the yahoo-yahoo guy called AMBODE.

Wish he would prove me wrong though...
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 11, 2015
Evathyst:
Any day, any time, you're my e-sister. It's because of peeps like you dt I still believe in the one Nigeria bullsh*t.

Believe me, the alleged statement of the Oba was seriously politicised, at the end, who's now at the receiving end?

Dts why I believe the scumbag called barcanista is not for real. Else, one's love for GMB and hope for a better Nigeria is more important than any other thing. I mean as a progressive o!

I'm passionately supporting APC today, not because of anything but because of three great men.
1- Gen Buhari for his unassailable reputation of being incorruptible. One should find it hard to imagine that despite the high level of moral decadence in this country. There could still be one man, not just a man, but s former head of state who's unarguably incorruptible. God! Bless me with ds kinda virtue.
2- Bola Tinubu; for his unrelenting spirit and vision of rescuing yorubas from the shackles of PDP. and gradually transforming our party into a National party. Something even the great Awo couldn't achieve. Baba, more power to your elbow sir!
3- Babatunde Fashola; I've yet to see a better public achiever than this man. Apart from being an achiever, this man is also very intelligent.

As for me, I really don't give a hoot about that AMBODE of a guy, that guy looks like a scam to me. But for the respect I have for the people up there, I do rather vote him. After all, in Yoruba land, an Oba is always right. Even when he is wrong, he is still very right.
God bless you sister.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by OAM4J: 10:54pm On Apr 11, 2015
blank:

I don't know about protest votes. A lot of Igbos that I know did not go out to vote. As for me, I am still chilling in Enugu.

Very true, I heard some Igbos in my family neighborhood at Okota even fear Oba statement will have negative spiritual consequence on them or their business if they vote Agbaje, so they didn't bother to go out and vote at all. While at the same time the whole brouhaha made some Yorubas who wouldn't have ordinarily bothered to vote today or who would have voted for Agbaje were prompted to go out and vote for Ambode just to defeat the sentiment that Agbaje is Igbo candidate, who the Igbos are planning to install as Governor of Lagos to defy Oba of Lagos.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Evathyst(f): 10:55pm On Apr 11, 2015
Mynd44:

I am waiting for Ajeromi/ifelodun though
Don't even think of it! That's where I am presently. PDP is winning most of the igbo-populated polling units there. Dts my Aunty's place, u know?

We heard some gun shots few hours ago, seems some thugs have come to cart away the ballot boxes that are about to be transported to the central collation centre. It's temple run here! Everybody scampering to safety. Lolz!

Election dey sweet o cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 11, 2015
Fire15:
K
You just killed it. Tinubu machine can turn a Stone into Meat pie. Turning adversities into advantages, stumbling stones into stepping stones. I doff my cap for this genius of a man.
The way they turned this thing on agbaje is the 8th wonder of the world.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 11, 2015
Jaypea98:

So OP In essence. the PDPROpagandists shot themselves in the foot
Gbam.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 11, 2015
OAM4J:
@Obiagelli

Your analysis seems on point. What is suppose to be a blow against Ambode seems to be turning around to be a blow against Agbaje. The sentiments I heard going on suddenly on Lagos street is that Agbaje is an 'Igbo candidate'.

Personally am indifferent about the two candidates, I was around in Nigeria during the 2007 elections and I voted for Agbaje then. Except that I wish to see what Lagos can benefit from the center if possible. Lagos has NEVER aligned with the center. So if APC wins Lagos, it will be the 1st time EVER Lagos is not playing opposition.
If agbaje fails today, this last week was instrumental to his failure.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by aderonila18: 11:00pm On Apr 11, 2015
Obiagelli:

No ifs, the Gus don fail already
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by OAM4J: 11:06pm On Apr 11, 2015
Obiagelli:

Personally I cant blame him. He was between the lagoon and the deep blue sea. While he needs many Yoruba votes, his mission will be helped if he can get all Igbos votes too. It was not easy for him not to condemn the Oba's statement.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by akins56(m): 11:19pm On Apr 11, 2015
OAM4J:

Personally I cant blame him. He was between the lagoon and the deep blue sea. While he needs many Yoruba votes, his mission will be helped if he can get all Igbos votes too. It was not easy for him not to condemn the Oba's statement.
you are right, but he should have maintained neutrality by all cost, buh he stylishly aligned with the popular sentiments, spurring yoruba voters into revenge mode.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Mynd44: 11:34pm On Apr 11, 2015
OAM4J:

Ambode had that choice too but he just shoved it off and moved on. Agbaje on the others hand dwelled on it.

Remember that Agbaje has been on the tribal card for a long time now as he has been playing the non-indigene thingy for long

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Mynd44: 11:35pm On Apr 11, 2015
akins56:
you are right, but he should have maintained neutrality by all cost, buh he stylishly aligned with the popular sentiments, spurring yoruba voters into revenge mode.
He did not move slightly, he was already there
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by codedslayer: 6:40am On Apr 12, 2015
[s]
taharqa:

So you are comparing that statement with the one the Oba Said??

Shee you are Igbo?? You should be ashamed of yourself
[/s]

You this political tout, you are a shameless fool. Whats your own with the lady, must you insult her. Go away with your smelling mouth...Dirty thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by codedslayer: 6:41am On Apr 12, 2015
Obiagelli:

he has failed already. Ambode winning in 15 local government including the largest Alimosho, while the evil tribalist Agbaje winning in 5 local government. 95% of all cast votes...

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by codedslayer: 6:52am On Apr 12, 2015
chukwudi44:

Bros you mumu die.The threat of genocide is now reduced to the powers of olokun.Chai all this lies you people are sharing!!!!Anyway voting is already in progress what ever lie you spew here would not affect the outcome of the elections

You are a foolish old man, must you insult everyone. You have been insulting every poster on this thread, why are just daft? At your miserable old age, you cant discuss anything on nairaland without insulting people. No wonder, you still hustle at 70plus, since you spent all your childhood life in insulting games. Mschew

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Scatterboss(m): 7:15am On Apr 12, 2015
Evathyst:

Spot on. I dont like the Ambode guy as well and most APC guys are not passionately campaigning for him but doing it for Fashola/Tinubu sake. Fashola said he is not perfect but people should just appreciate him by voting the guy. Jimi is now politically dead.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Mynd44: 7:25am On Apr 12, 2015
Scatterboss:

Spot on. I dont like the Ambode guy as well and most APC guys are not passionately campaigning for him but doing it for Fashola/Tinubu sake. Fashola said he is not perfect but people should just appreciate him by voting the guy. Jimi is now politically dead.
Agbaje played a devil's gamble...all or nothing.

It was either he wins the election or he loses even future ones.

And now he has to carry his bog head and mouth and go apologize to Oba Akinolu

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Scatterboss(m): 7:36am On Apr 12, 2015
Mynd44:

Agbaje played a devil's gamble...all or nothing.

It was either he wins the election or he loses even future ones.

And now he has to carry his bog head and mouth and go apologize to Oba Akinolu

You get it. He has been playing the ethnic card from the beginning, begging Igbos not to travel for Easter. He didnt even bother about the Hausas in Lagos. Was surprised when many peeps that have been trying to convince to vote APC now said they have to save there fatherland since one UBAH said he can determine who win in Lagos cos its a no man's land.

I was surprised also when neutral yoruba guys now change from bashing Akiolu to bashing Jimi, he messed up and people now see him as an outcast. Pathetic.

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 12, 2015
Results in favor of my write up so far.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by honeric01(m): 8:20am On Apr 12, 2015
Evathyst:
God bless you for this! Tot I'm the only one noticing ds. D guy looks like a scam to me. But I just kukuma dash APC the vote sha. I know it's the party I'm voting for and not the yahoo-yahoo guy called AMBODE.

Wish he would prove me wrong though...

Me seeing him as not being assertive does not mean I see him as a scam though.

As for Agbaje, I see a bit of fayose in him.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by honeric01(m): 8:23am On Apr 12, 2015
blank:

hehehe..meaning no voting for you either..

hope Enugu is fair compared to rivers and akwa ibom?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by honeric01(m): 8:25am On Apr 12, 2015
Mynd44:

Maybe this is the real agbaje?
maybe PDP made him lose decorum?
maybe he was misunderstood?
maybe he's politically immature?

well he can still go back to his business..that one dey wait am..
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by theV0ice: 8:27am On Apr 12, 2015
Obiagelli:
Results in favor of my write up so far.

you're a genius
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by blank(f): 9:06am On Apr 12, 2015
honeric01:

hehehe..meaning no voting for you either..

hope Enugu is fair compared to rivers and akwa ibom?

I think it was peaceful. Live in GRA so there was nothing like violence. Anyways, was home all day.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Outburst, A Master Stroke? by Toks2008(m): 9:15am On Apr 12, 2015
Obiagelli:

Can you remind me by how many millions gej won there in 2011

The igbos are only good in business and mouth making.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fire Engulf NAFDAC Building In Oshodi, Lagos (Photos) / Atiku and Peter Obi Visit Aba today / APC Accused Of Hiring U.S PR Firm For $1.2M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.