Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,811 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government (38563 Views)

I Expect Buhari Incoming Government To Fix Fuel Saga In 7 Days-ifeduba / Buhari's Incoming Government Will Not Be In The Business of Witch-Hunting People / Highlights Of 2015 APC Campaign Promises In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Homlet(m): 10:49am On Apr 14, 2015
The program seems good, but the most important thing Nigerians need now is unity and respect for one another irrespective of religious, political and tribal leaning. These were the yearning of Nigeria that led to the convocation of the National conference. So what has happened to it implementation? will the incoming government throw the desire and demand of nigerians to the trash bin? Is there any plan to implement it for the unity and peaceful co - existence of Nigeria.
Please GMB endearvour to implement the outcome of the confab
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by kenex4ever(m): 10:49am On Apr 14, 2015
lymelyte:
Shut up if you do not have anything to say..
he made a sensible Point but urs is to insult simply because u lack ideas to counter him

3 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by tbaba1234: 10:49am On Apr 14, 2015
Bawss1:

Your brand of optimism verges on the unreal. You mean to tell me that you believe that fixing the four existing refineries back to full capacity and building news ones, all in a bid to improve our local refining capacity can be done in less than 5 years?

A new refinery could take five years to build from scratch but we already have refineries that need to be revitalised. I do not know the state of the refineries but the actual construction phase of a new refinery takes about 2 years (minus feasibility studies, equipment procurement etc). I do not think a proper turn around maintenance of an already existing refinery should take more than 6 months, worst case 1 year.

Dangote's refinery was expected to take off in 2016 but was pushed back to 2018. Barring any further delays, in 3 years, we should have it running.

A phased subsidy removal can be carried out by government.

2 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Omooba77: 10:54am On Apr 14, 2015
tbaba1234:

http://economyandpoliticsng.com/news/26640/Highlights-of-the-approach-of-Muhammad-Buhari-Incoming-Government-Proshare

I thought they said 40000MW in 4 years through modular plants........................Also they said he didnot do anything on Agriculture and power reform.........Subsidy must go too.
If we continue with this same SYSTEM in 2 years time,GEJ will be a better government. I reserved my comments

3 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by darecool(m): 10:54am On Apr 14, 2015
Damager:
Did dey just say GEJ performed well in agriculture?? And d power process commendable?? And SUBSIDY must go 9jerians u ain't seen nothing yet.. D one whom dey called clueless?? Soon dey would say his rail, airport Nd road developments are laudable..

Truth is GEJ was just a victim, our 1st victim of people Nd tribal power.. D north benefitted immensely 4rm d agric reforms Nd contributed heavily to his loss
GEJ did well and I've always lauded his achievements but his government was an extravagant One. Anyways, there are issues that mustn't be ignored by the electorate because Mr lai Muhammed said that since crude oil overs around $50 per barrel, pms should be sold around 50Naira per litre and u believe that the APCgovernment will make that possible by the end of the year and if the taxing system in Lagos is to be considered at all, then excuses will not be celebrated at all, and poverty level will not considered for any region not to participate wholly in the taxing system

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Dara01: 10:54am On Apr 14, 2015
UK/USA imported female clothing items for sale .Strictly wholesales, with price tags still intact .Goods are available for inspection. Designers include Next, New Look , Dorothy perkins , Marks and Spencer, atmosphere, Calvin Klein , Tommy Hilfiger.

Serious interested buyers should contact me on darademi@yahoo.com.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by hush15: 10:55am On Apr 14, 2015
Sweetguy25:
This whole blueprint is just filled with daydreams.

I honestly don’t believe that corruption has a strong negative link to insecurity and unemployment. That’s my opinion

Another anti-corruption talk that makes no sense. Although, we all want to see corruption reduced in Nigeria but You can’t develop Nigeria if all you want to do is fight corruption. It will be counter productive.

Ok. But the bad and ugly were instrumental to success of the APC at the polls. They will want their dividends and profits at the end. How will they be paid without being involved in corrupt practices.

Another anti-corruption mantra.

Initially, the APC never saw anything good with GEJ's government.

GEJ was about to implement the report with the 2015 budget, don't say he didnt have the political will. Thats silly.

Another anti-corruption story.

Pure lie. The central bank is an independent institution filled with experienced professionals, they should be left to do their job.

Can we now see, Buhari wants to end the subsidy that GEJ wanted to end, which you refused to let him do.

Another daydream. The transmission sector is not too attractive for investment. Anyone who's conversant with the power sector should know this.

Think tanks talk nonsense all the time. What proof and facts do you have that you save 3 trillion naira by plugging leakages.

Thats whats expected of a democratic government. Duh.

I'm hoping to see how this goes.

They should tell us where the money will come from to train these people. According to statistics, there are about 60 million illiterates in Nigeria.

The manifesto still doesn't make sense.

Back to point 11: I thought they said Jonathan was not doing anything as regards Power. Now they think its commendable and can improve on it!

Also on TAX, if they are to adopt the Lagos Model, Nigerians are about to experience the worst regime ever. LASG model is a complete failure as the are multiple taxations, over taxations, worst part is that, are they going to employ alpha beta again or create an National Level Alpha Beta where the have over 15percecnt of what the country is generating? Nigerians should not look away from this cos this is where the stealing is ....

3 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by kenex4ever(m): 10:57am On Apr 14, 2015
Rawani:
This is the direct opposite of what it means to be clueless. Well done sir.

he is already adopting GEJ's ideas already, eg agriculture, power transformation(which u guys condemned) and even subsidy removal. I hope fashola will organize riot in lagos again when subsidy is totally removed, hypocrites!

6 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by obailala(m): 10:57am On Apr 14, 2015
1. 1.The cardinal agenda of the government and their over-arching themes will be SECURITY, CORRUPTION and UN-EMPLOYMENT; they believe that corruption has a very strong negative link to both security and un-employment.

2. There will be no real action until around October, partly because the 2015 budget is GEJ’s and may be fully approved in April; the new government will seek to align the electoral and fiscal calendars to avoid this type of problem in future

3. A cabinet will be announced very quickly, within one week of inauguration; anyone with a whiff of corruption or other tainting will not be on the cabinet; GMB’s body language will reflect zero tolerance for corruption

4. Emphasized that the APC is not a conclave of cardinals but includes the good, the bad and the ugly; in Nigeria, the bad and the ugly can be the biggest electoral assets but GMB’s government will not interfere with law enforcement agencies or the judiciary even if APC members are involved

5. The VP elect, did a lot of work as commissioner of justice in LASG and will bring this to a major revamp of the judiciary to complement anti-corruption drive and the rule of law; he will also anchor the economic committee

6. The new government will continue with some of the programmes in the GEJ administration, which were successful, for example Agriculture, but there will be a stronger collaboration between FGN and the states

7. A very LEAN government is the focus; this will involve resolving overlapping and redundant MDAs; largely in line with the Steve Oronsaye presidential committee report; this report was available to GEJ’s government but the will to implement it was absent

8. Rather than strengthen key anti-corruption agencies like EFCC, ICPC and SFI, these are likely to be consolidated and a single entity will be made more effective

9. Believe that CBN is getting over-burdened by developmental finance issues, at the expense of its core objectives; this will be changed

10. Subsidy on petroleum products will certainly go and the industry will be reformed as a matter of priority in order to attract new investments

11. While power reform has been commendable, and will continue, the approach will change. Transmission will be deregulated, regionalized and privatized in order to break down centralized transmission; issues of gas supply to Gencos will be addressed but the new government believes that DISCOs are the biggest bottlenecks presently; the government plan to add-on 4,000 MW of power every year and expect that output will be a minimum of 12,000 MW at the end of term of this mandate

12. Think tank detailed work indicate that N3 trillion in savings can come out of plugged leakages; believe that the employment drive will be private sector led

13. The government will allow market forces to prevail, including foreign exchange; debunked the view that GMB will use fiat to fix the exchange rate; however the government will keenly seek to protect the more economically vulnerable segments of the society

14. There will be tightening of the tax noose but no tax rate hikes/FIRS will be strengthened and the LASG IGR template will be adopted at the national level

15. While the infrastructure gap requires huge capital outlay which the government does not have, a master-plan will be developed; a situation where the recurrent budget is almost 80% and capital budget only 20% is not acceptable…(it does not appear detailed work has been done here….for example, they believe that un-employment is partly due to lack of skilled labour and hope to more actively engage the academic community to train for these skills…..but the tertiary institutions will need to be massively upgraded before they can compete )

16. Advised that we read the APC manifesto, available on the website and also, the Steve Oronsaye report
My heart leaped in joy when I read this, especially No. 11 (12,000MW shocked). But then I remembered we were in Nigeria undecided cry

I hope and pray we achieve at least half of that figure.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by jpphilips(m): 10:59am On Apr 14, 2015
Number 14 no be joke ooo!!, but if we see the benefits of our tax, we can't complain right??
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Sweetguy25: 11:02am On Apr 14, 2015
hush15:

Back to point 11: I thought they said Jonathan was not doing anything as regards Power. Now they think its commendable and can improve on it!

Also on TAX, if they are to adopt the Lagos Model, Nigerians are about to experience the worst regime ever. LASG model is a complete failure as the are multiple taxations, over taxations, worst part is that, are they going to employ alpha beta again or create an National Level Alpha Beta where the have over 15percecnt of what the country is generating? Nigerians should not look away from this cos this is where the stealing is ....

GEJ has done everything that is needed to be done in the power sector with respect to institutional and regulatory reforms.

And about tax, they didn't set a revenue target so i'll let them pass. Nigerians should be ready hard times.

2 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 14, 2015
darecool:
GEJ did well and I've always lauded his achievements but his government was an extravagant One. Anyways, there are issues that mustn't be ignored by the electorate because Mr lai Muhammed said that since crude oil overs around $50 per barrel, pms should be sold around 50Naira per litre and the taxing system in Lagos must be applied to every part of the country if it's to be considered at all. Excuses will not be celebrated at all, and poverty level will not considered for any region not to participate wholly in the taxing system

yea I discussed wif some Hausa men Nd dey had d opinion DAT 9jeria was too rich 4 Ppl to pay tax.. D taxation policy should b strictly adhered to by all.. Nd d 2016 census?? WE ARE WATCHING
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by tbaba1234: 11:04am On Apr 14, 2015
kenex4ever:
he is already adopting GEJ's ideas already, eg agriculture, power transformation(which u guys condemned) and even subsidy removal. I hope fashola will organize riot in lagos again when subsidy is totally removed, hypocrites!

Power reform started under Obj. Governance is a continum. You do not enter government and press reset, you improve what is on ground.

2 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by obailala(m): 11:07am On Apr 14, 2015
vanunu:
Is it not the same subsidy that jona tried to remove and there was serious demonstration against him in the north and south west.

Deregulation of transmission lines should not be a priority for now, it should be left with the company that is managing it.
The outcry about subsidy wasnt necessarily because of the subsidy removal itself but it was about an irresponsible government forcing the masses to tighten their belts when those in government weren't ready to sacrifice a dime.

Three (3) things:
1. Fix our refineries
2. Show us credible evidence and determination to build new refineries
3. Give us a holy assurance that the money the government saves from subsidy removal will not end up in the pockets of some 'friends of the government' as has always been the case.

If the government can/could assure Nigerians of these 3 things, trust me, Nigerians would have been ready to tighten their belts. Telling Nigerians that a microscopic few people called 'the cabal' were pocketing subsidy moneys of over $6billion annually and therefore the government wants to punish 160million people all because it doesnt want to punish its few friends, that is a very silly thing to say or do and that is why Nigerians rejected the subsidy removal. Up till today, the government did not punish a single member of the so called cabal who are not even faceless. Ribadu report identified a whooping $6.8billion dollars stolen from subsidy funds alone and investigations revealed the very individuals who were responsible; they are not ghosts but normal Nigerians like you and me. Yet up till date, NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE MEN WERE PUNISHED. In fact these are the same men bankrolling TAN rallies and Jonathan's re-election bid because they know it will be business as usual under Jonathan. God pass them!

7 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by tbaba1234: 11:08am On Apr 14, 2015
Sweetguy25:

GEJ has done everything that is needed to be done in the power sector with respect to institutional and regulatory reforms.

And about tax, they didn't set a revenue target so i'll let them pass. Nigerians should be ready hard times.

Oga, OBJ set the regulatory/institutional framework for power reform .

2 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Bawss1(m): 11:08am On Apr 14, 2015
tbaba1234:

Power reform started under Obj. Governance is a continum. You do not enter government and press reset, you improve what is on ground.

Sounds less like change and more like transformation, no? grin

2 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by MuhammaduJesus(m): 11:10am On Apr 14, 2015
Subsidy removal is efficient economically but what of equity between the haves and the havenots. To bridge this gap, the government has to provide soft-landing for the most vulnerable and better still provide sufficient capacity for the oil industry in terms of building of refineries.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by zendy: 11:14am On Apr 14, 2015
Beautifully articulated policies are synonymous with politicians. We have all heard it before, it's nothing new. I already know that the Government of General Buhari will be a monumental failure and here's why. Like all his predecessors, Buhari will start of well, make some key policy changes and appointments that will give him some immediate popularity. Unfortunately for Buhari, the underlying problem why Nigeria is not moving foward will not 'style' of governance but Government its self. Nigeria is operating the wrong type of Government. If a house has a bad foundation, the house will be bad no matter the 'patchwork' done to it until the right foundation is put in place. This unitary type of Government with a strong centre and 36 state Governors who are accountable to nobody only encourages corruption,profligacy,abuse of office and wastage. The federations units have become little more than "fiefdoms" of whatever politician is in charge. I laugh when people say that Buhari will jail corrupt public office holders. He may jail a few but it won't do much to stem the tide of corruption. Even armed robbers are not deterred even though Nigeria has the death penalty so how will people stop stealing because of jail time? Buharis Government will only encourage people to become smarter crooks. Nigeria has to return to the 'regional' style of Government where the federating units where strong and developed at their own pace. We have to do away with the Governors and have district heads or just local Government which will make it much harder to steal. Immunity has to be removed. However,we all know that the North will never agree to regionalism because they need the resources of the South. They are also scared that if have regions,it will make it easier for a Nigeria to break up. The North are the problem of Nigeria and Buharis Government will be a disaster

2 Likes

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by FMCowerri: 11:21am On Apr 14, 2015
God thank You for giving us people that can think in Nigeria.
Not self centered people that called themselves PDP

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 14, 2015
Privatization of power is not good the government need to control power imagine our transformer spoilt in Ezza North, Ebonyi State for a year and six months the repeared the transformer instead of them to come with the bills when the transformer was repeared the came with the bills when the transformer was not working and mixed it with the years and month that the transformer spoilt the are criminals and the forced us to pay all every month we pay 30k
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Mrchuddy(m): 11:37am On Apr 14, 2015
I believe in this mandate.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by anwo247: 11:42am On Apr 14, 2015
Hehehehehe laughing in calabar language o....

I love this paper work. Hehehehehehehehehehe just can't stop laughing
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by anwo247: 11:45am On Apr 14, 2015
zendy:
Beautifully articulated policies are synonymous with politicians. We have all heard it before, it's nothing new. I already know that the Government of General Buhari will be a monumental failure and here's why. Like all his predecessors, Buhari will start of well, make some key policy changes and appointments that will give him some immediate popularity. Unfortunately for Buhari, the underlying problem why Nigeria is not moving foward will not 'style' of governance but Government its self. Nigeria is operating the wrong type of Government. If a house has a bad foundation, the house will be bad no matter the 'patchwork' done to it until the right foundation is put in place. This unitary type of Government with a strong centre and 36 state Governors who are accountable to nobody only encourages corruption,profligacy,abuse of office and wastage. The federations units have become little more than "fiefdoms" of whatever politician is in charge. I laugh when people say that Buhari will jail corrupt public office holders. He may jail a few but it won't do much to stem the tide of corruption. Even armed robbers are not deterred even though Nigeria has the death penalty so how will people stop stealing because of jail time? Buharis Government will only encourage people to become smarter crooks. Nigeria has to return to the 'regional' style of Government where the federating units where strong and developed at their own pace. We have to do away with the Governors and have district heads or just local Government which will make it much harder to steal. Immunity has to be removed. However,we all know that the North will never agree to regionalism because they need the resources of the South. They are also scared that if have regions,it will make it easier for a Nigeria to break up. The North are the problem of Nigeria and Buharis Government will be a disaster

Why have you just decided to be so sincere? Well that's patriotic of you. Thanks dear.

Everything written in that so called manifesto is not new to us. Honestly i can't stop laughing. ......but now in Greek grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by kenex4ever(m): 11:49am On Apr 14, 2015
tbaba1234:

TNX Bro, I must admit dat dat has always been my fear, I wanted GEJ to continue his power reform because I felt GMB would abandon it but am internally very happy dat he is continuing it along with agric. Sector reform. Am actually impressed, may God help him take us to a greater level.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by vanunu: 11:49am On Apr 14, 2015
I wonder who gave them idea that the transmission lines that are carrying 5000mw should be deregulated. Let's wait and watch.

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by herbiolla: 11:53am On Apr 14, 2015

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by cecegorz(m): 11:54am On Apr 14, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Which government? GEJs government ends in less than 2 months and the budget is yet to be passed. It makes no sense to pass a budget when your administration will not last for more than 5 weeks. What will the budget be for? You'll be be passing a budget that the succeeding government might not be able to work with. It is better that the transition committee come up with a new transition budget or Buhari passes the new budget by himself.
Or better still, the APC work with the transition committee to adjust the budget to suit their revenue and expenditure plans.

This is the most sensible thing to do, no way the incoming govt. will work with this 90% recurrent expenditure budget when it has plans for quality capital development.
They must have a formidable capital overlay for such projects to get a kick-start.
Besides, I expect them to slash the NASS budget from N150bn to a max. of N50bn, with further plans to make them earn like Perm secs at most in the near future. Those criminals must go and find a proper day job to earn a living instead of feeding fat on our patrimony.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by herbiolla: 11:55am On Apr 14, 2015
idu1:
Very interesting....
Why Buy Used Laptops when you can get a new one for the same price as a used one?

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Olufemiolaolu(m): 11:55am On Apr 14, 2015
This is surely a govt that has a clue & commonsense walahi. The current govt lacked initiative. Removing subsidy wont automatically increase pump price now.

1 Like

Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by chacoonder(m): 11:57am On Apr 14, 2015
tbaba1234:

The budget would probably be passed soon, so time for fine tuning will be over

I am certain that the government will start work but the pace will pick up from October.

Very good response..I love it.
Re: Highlights Of The Approach Of Muhammad Buhari's Incoming Government by Holak: 11:57am On Apr 14, 2015
And this is the paradox of governing Nigeria. Implementing Oronsanye report means loss of jobs. Do you think anybody who loses his/her job will clap for Buhari for the reforms? This is necessary but we must look at the impact and develop cushioning effects. These things are beyond the way they are put in paper.

omenka:
The "lean government" is what gladden my heart the most.

The amounts saved from that can be ploughed back into making some critical sectors of the economy function even better.

I believe we'll get there soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Confusion As Uzodinma & Uche Nwosu Receive INEC Forms As APC Candidates (Photos) / #corruptionfightingback Trend Backfires On Apc Members / P Square Won't Perform At Obi's Akwa Ibom Rally Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.