Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) - TV/Movies (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) (1238912 Views)

DC Extended Universe (TV) / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners / Marvel Cinematic Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (1543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by kryptonian1987(m): 11:05pm On Jan 17, 2017
A scintillating dissect of BvS from a great critic, Mark Hughesfilm himself..... I bet this article will be "worth reading"

{{contrib_block.display_advoice_brand}} {{contrib_block.display_voice_type}}
{{contrib_block.display_author.name}}Voice Mark Hughes ,  

{{contrib_block.display_author.type}} Contributor {{contrib_block.display_author.type}}

Contributor

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Full Bio
Recent Posts
Popular Posts
Full profile →'">

The author is a Forbes contributor. The opinions expressed are those of the writer.

Loading ...
Loading ...
This story appears in the {{article.article.magazine.pretty_date}} issue of {{article.article.magazine.pubName}}. Subscribe
'Star Wars' Conundrum: Should Disney Move Their 'Young Han Solo' Film To Christmas?
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has sparked a great deal of debate among fans, critics, and audiences. The film broke records with its massive $420 million worldwide opening weekend, the largest ever for a superhero film and fourth-largest global opening of any sort of film in history. Some audiences -- notably, the under-18 crowd and parents, as well as most 25-and-under viewers -- gave it very high scores and are recommending it to family and friends, while overall audience scores averaged out to a "B" at Cinemascore. The critical reviews at Rotten Tomatoes have been highly negative, with a 29% overall score. My own review is very positive, as I loved the film and feel the negative reviews are wildly off-base.

Image courtesy Warner Bros

One of the loudest complaints from some critics and fans has been the claim that Zack Snyder hates Superman, and that Batman v Superman proves it. This assertion hinges on such a dramatic misreading of the film, I'm frankly stunned that even some otherwise typically smart and insightful writers have bought into this myth and perpetuated it. So now, I'm going to completely debunk the claim, and explain to you how Batman v Superman in fact makes Superman's goodness and idealism the centerpiece of the story, and how Zack Snyder clearly loves Superman's character and honors him in this film.

Be warned, I'm going to discuss a lot of spoilers in this article, out of necessity. So if you've not seen Batman v Superman yet, read no further -- but go see the film, and then come right back and finish reading!

The gist of the "Zack hates Superman" claim is, Superman is disliked and distrusted by society, is shown to be reckless and ineffective, is too brooding, and is widely mocked throughout the film. Perry White tells Clark Kent, "It's not 1938, apples don't cost a nickel," Batman beats Superman into submission, sneering that Superman's parents probably told him he was sent here for a reason. Superman tells Lois the "S" on his chest was a symbol of hope on his world, but that his world doesn't exist anymore. These, then, are the examples of supposed proof Snyder hates Superman -- the Perry White speech gets the most play when this argument is put forth, because it seems the clearest literal example of the film disparaging Superman's idealism.

And of course, that's precisely what it is, as is Batman's violent attack against the Man of Steel and his little speech to him; as is the world's skepticism in the film, and the anger so many characters feel toward Superman. Yes, those things are all meant to criticize Superman and what he stands for. The trick is, you're supposed to realize they're all wrong, because that's the actual point of the movie -- everyone mocking and criticizing Superman is wrong.

The world is cynical, skeptical, and jaded. War, poverty, violence, hatred -- these are the daily realities for so many people, and even those in positions of so-called power realize how helpless they are to stop most of it. Lex Luthor's remark about a person with knowledge being smart enough to realize they are powerless in the world is a crucial hint into his own psyche and how the scars of this lesson were beaten into him from a young age, for example. He articulates a truth, a knowledge about the powerlessness of mankind in the face of our own destructive impulses, and that we pretend toward power and knowledge to shield ourselves from those realities.

Bruce Wayne knows this as well. His entire arc is that of a man whose life is defined by feeling powerless, beginning as a child watching his parents murdered in the street for no reason at all and growing up to dedicate his life to fighting crime as Batman. He became a gardner, pulling up weeds in a garden already overrun by them, and now as an aging man he faces the harsh truth of his ineffectiveness, of the terrible losses despite his best intentions and best efforts. He has the knowledge to understand now that he's always been powerless, that he never escaped that alley where he watched helplessly as his parents died. That's why he's become cruel, more violent, crossing lines he didn't cross before. The world didn't become better and safer, it just fought back twice as hard to remain corrupt, and so Batman keeps fighting harder in return, even as he feels his battle is hopeless in the end.

And now comes a man from the sky to put a fine point on all of it, a man who can stop suffering and injustice, a man of near limitless power. Superman holds up a mirror to Bruce, to Lex, and to the world, showing us what real power is, and showing us how the application of real power can be in service to absolute good if only we will allow it. But there was no Superman, no absolute good power, to rescue Lex from the abuse and perversions of his father, so why should the world now have a Superman? A good power that failed him, that left him to suffer, and that tries to represent hope in a world Lex sees as hopeless, is not a power he can trust or accept. It makes him all the more aware of his own powerlessness, and to overcome that feeling he will raise himself up like a God and drag the God down to the dirt, destroying the absolute good that Lex believes never existed in the first place.

Bruce meanwhile sees Superman in much the same way as Lex. There was no Superman to save Thomas and Martha Wayne, no Superman to help Batman pull up the weeds overrunning Gotham. Every "good" Bruce saw over the years, every person who supposedly fought for hope and justice, either died or became corrupted, or just gave up. He doesn't believe in absolute good anymore, and so all he can see in Superman is absolute power that cannot be trusted because it exists in a world too cynical and damaged to allow such power to be good. Superman is a symbol of all of Batman's failures, of his greatest fears come to life, and if all good has become corrupted eventually, then this absolute symbol of Batman's helplessness and failure cannot be allowed to exist anymore. Superman will be destroyed, because Batman has become another of the "good" people who couldn't remain good in a world this bad, even if he doesn't (yet) realize he is one of those people he was talking about.

Lex and Bruce represent the world itself, a flawed and distrustful place that feels unworthy of absolute good and so cannot let itself dare to hope such good really exists. Idealism has been replaced with cold disillusionment even among the youth who are far too inexperienced and immature to truly feel as faux-jaded and cynical-chic as they pretend to be. Power always, inevitably becomes corrupted and used to perpetuate inequality, violence, oppression, exploitation, and other ills in our world, we say. So we reject hope, we reject the idea of a common good, because it's not 1938 and apples don't cost a nickel and the "good ol' days" were never good for everybody after all.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 10:35am On Jan 18, 2017
"Injustice 2 - The lines are redrawn" game trailer. Very interesting trailer, awesome to see brainiac and darkseid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf-_-CuetzM

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by kryptonian1987(m): 5:14am On Jan 20, 2017
BREAKING: Dwayne Johnson's BLACK ADAM Will Now Lead His Own Movie! (DCEU)
Jan.19.17 – by Mario-Francisco Robles
Well, I didn't see that coming...

But then again, DCEU, you always manage to find new ways to surprise me, don't you?

Moments ago, The Hollywood Reporter broke the story that Black Adam will now get his own movie. Yup, the same Black Adam that action superstar Dwayne Johnson has been attached to play for years now will now get his own movie, aside from whatever happens with Shazam!

Last week, the internet was abuzz about Shazam! because of an apparent major meeting that took place between Johnson, his producing partners, and the new braintrust over at Warner Bros. that is overseeing the DC Extended Universe. When he walked away all pumped and shared with his fans on social media that the future of the DCEU now looked brighter than ever, everyone instantly assumed that Shazam! would not be gaining some traction and that the movie was going to enter production in the relatively near future.

Turns out everyone was wrong.

While we were all busy coming up with what this Shazam! flick will look like, apparently Johnson and his team pitched a standalone Black Adam movie, and it's now on the way. 

There are a couple of other notable details from THR's report:

Home
HELLBOY III: Guillermo Del Toro TO Meet With Actor Ron Perlman & Artist Mike Mignola
New Jared Leto Photos Tease The Joker’s Return?
SHOTS FIRED? While Talking LOGAN, Mangold Praises Fox's Approach Over Marvel's
Yes, You Disagree With Me. No, That Doesn't Mean Something Is Clickbait.
POWER RANGERS Trailer #2: Get A Load Of Zordon, Alpha 5, & The Zords!
Production for Black Adam will reportedly run concurrently to production on Shazam!
The film will apparently be produced not by Warner Bros. proper, but rather its little brother, New Line Cinema
My imagination begins to race when I read this kind of stuff, but I'll try to keep my thoughts to myself until I have something more concrete. For now, all I'll say is that #1 sounds like it's part of the WB's old practice for these DC films where they have several scripts at different stages of development by different creative teams all for the same movie, and then eventually pick which one gets made. So, to me, it sounds like they're going to develop both Black Adam and Shazam! side-by-side, but may actually only end up making only one of them.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 11:21am On Jan 20, 2017
kryptonian1987:
BREAKING: Dwayne Johnson's BLACK ADAM Will Now Lead His Own Movie! (DCEU)
Jan.19.17 – by Mario-Francisco Robles
Well, I didn't see that coming...

But then again, DCEU, you always manage to find new ways to surprise me, don't you?

Moments ago, The Hollywood Reporter broke the story that Black Adam will now get his own movie. Yup, the same Black Adam that action superstar Dwayne Johnson has been attached to play for years now will now get his own movie, aside from whatever happens with Shazam!

Last week, the internet was abuzz about Shazam! because of an apparent major meeting that took place between Johnson, his producing partners, and the new braintrust over at Warner Bros. that is overseeing the DC Extended Universe. When he walked away all pumped and shared with his fans on social media that the future of the DCEU now looked brighter than ever, everyone instantly assumed that Shazam! would not be gaining some traction and that the movie was going to enter production in the relatively near future.

Turns out everyone was wrong.

While we were all busy coming up with what this Shazam! flick will look like, apparently Johnson and his team pitched a standalone Black Adam movie, and it's now on the way. 

There are a couple of other notable details from THR's report:

Home
HELLBOY III: Guillermo Del Toro TO Meet With Actor Ron Perlman & Artist Mike Mignola
New Jared Leto Photos Tease The Joker’s Return?
SHOTS FIRED? While Talking LOGAN, Mangold Praises Fox's Approach Over Marvel's
Yes, You Disagree With Me. No, That Doesn't Mean Something Is Clickbait.
POWER RANGERS Trailer #2: Get A Load Of Zordon, Alpha 5, & The Zords!
Production for Black Adam will reportedly run concurrently to production on Shazam!
The film will apparently be produced not by Warner Bros. proper, but rather its little brother, New Line Cinema
My imagination begins to race when I read this kind of stuff, but I'll try to keep my thoughts to myself until I have something more concrete. For now, all I'll say is that #1 sounds like it's part of the WB's old practice for these DC films where they have several scripts at different stages of development by different creative teams all for the same movie, and then eventually pick which one gets made. So, to me, it sounds like they're going to develop both Black Adam and Shazam! side-by-side, but may actually only end up making only one of them.

From what I read somewhere, Warner Bros execs are against Dwayne Johnson appearing as a once-off villain against Shazam. Dwayne has a lot of star power and is currently the highest paid actor in 2015/2016. Therefore, Black Adam will start out as an origin story and will be developed into the villain that he is. This will be the first villain to fully get an origin story on how he becomes rogue. I hope it comes out well...
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 20, 2017
TonySpike:
"Injustice 2 - The lines are redrawn" game trailer. Very interesting trailer, awesome to see brainiac and darkseid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf-_-CuetzM

*Sweating profusely* Lord JESUS this looks GOOD!!!

I gotta go buy injustice; gods among us and play right now.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by kryptonian1987(m): 2:23pm On Jan 22, 2017
Earth to Echo scribe to write the script for Shazam!
0%
by Matt Rooney | 9 hours ago

Much like GREEN LANTERN news, it would take a Dwayne Johnson-sized behemoth to stop the onslaught of SHAZAM/BLACK ADAM news coming our way. The most recent update was that not only SHAZAM! would be making it onto the screen, but that Adam would also be getting his own movie, making for twice as many muscles we will see on screen. Though nothing else is known about the ADAM solo movie, we now have a bit more new regarding the SHAZAM! flick.
THR ran a piece not too long ago saying that a source told them that EARTH TO ECHO scribe Henry Gayden was penning the script for the movie. Though this was unconfirmed for a short while, the man himself took to Twitter to confirm that he is indeed writing the script for the superhero epic.
@annericelover Confirmed and loving what's to come... smiley
— Henry Gayden (@HenryGayden) January 20, 2017
ECHO came out in 2014 to modest reception and box office, and since then (and before that too, for the most part) Gayden has written, well, nothing.  However he will get to dust off those cobwebs in a big way soon as he begins to bring the larger-than-life hero to the big screen. Earth to Gayden, you just hit the big time!
I haven’t seen ECHO, but I guess it was a relative success making $45 million on a $13 million budget. I’m just curious as to what he’s been up to recently, and what he pitched to DC in order to get the job. It must have been a stellar sell in order to get such a big job, so my attention is a bit more piqued than I expected. I wish all the luck in the world to Gayden, and will send him my most treasured amulet so that he may have a token of my faith. It’s an odd looking rock I found in front of my house. What?
SHAZAM! is set for April 2019.

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 1:29pm On Jan 24, 2017
New Justice League photos straight from the footages....Lovely, isn't it?

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Floridax(m): 3:02pm On Jan 24, 2017
no need to advertise....if you are interested In joining a whatsapp movie/comic group,,,pm me to add you up.....08164057466......its fun...we argue a lot and learn more from experts...
whether you are a,#DC fan,marvel fan,,anime fan tv series lovers,,...you are all welcome...
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Posman(m): 5:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
TonySpike:

am I the only person impatiently waiting for the trailer?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 6:10pm On Jan 24, 2017
Posman:

am I the only person impatiently waiting for the trailer?

I'm guessing the first trailer won't be out until around April. I don't even forsee any DC trailer slots for Superbowl in February also, not even wonder woman sef...
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 8:49am On Jan 25, 2017
TonySpike:

I got a clearer copy of this picture here!
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 9:50am On Jan 25, 2017
Director, James Wan and Aquaman crew getting ready for 2018 Aquaman movie...

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 10:43am On Jan 25, 2017
Suicide Squad gets nominated for an Oscar award.

3 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 10:43am On Jan 26, 2017
Hehehe... Owlman and the Comedian #WatchmenQuotes

[img]http://ultimafileira.files./2015/07/11774757_935010419892614_1589768356_n.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 10:47am On Jan 26, 2017
The Flash is undergoing rewrites as at now. I think Warner Bros will shift this movie slot to 2019. We will only get The Batman and Aquaman in 2018...

http://batman-news.com/2017/01/25/joby-harold-flash-rewrite-script/
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by KlausBlitzer(m): 1:26pm On Jan 27, 2017
Could someone create a Whatsapp group for this thread... Not everybody gets time for web access all the time. It'll be really helpful.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Posman(m): 6:43pm On Jan 27, 2017
Fan art

3 Likes

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 9:34pm On Jan 27, 2017
Just figured something out while visiting the JL IMDB message boards. Billy Crudup could appear as Barry Allen's dad in JL. Check it out guys. Billy Crudup's known for playing Dr. Manhattan in watchmen.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 12:22pm On Jan 28, 2017
I just came across this framed painting that was shown in BVS. It is truly a paradoxical painting with different interpretations. Lex Luthor interpretes this painting as the devil (Superman) falling from the sky to attack innocent people, which is the oldest lie in America.

Guess what, guys? If this framed painting is placed upside down. How do we interprete it?

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Lordsurh: 12:20am On Jan 29, 2017
Nigeria's first true geek-hub, a community to express your inner geekeries. Providing you with Up-to-date Tech News, Reviews, Tips, Movies & Games info.
https://smartgeek.com.ng/
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 5:31am On Jan 31, 2017
Ben Affleck finally steps down as "The Batman" director but remains the producer. Could it be as a result of "Live by Night" bombing at the box office?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/389823-ben-affleck-will-no-longer-direct-the-batman#/slide/2
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 7:41am On Jan 31, 2017
Its official. The DCEU's dead. Aquaman might be the last film. Since there aint any ship to jump to, staying away from comicbook films.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by waywardpikin: 8:43am On Jan 31, 2017
Minemrys:
Its official. The DCEU's dead. Aquaman might be the last film. Since there aint any ship to jump to, staying away from comicbook films.

Why would you say that?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 9:41am On Jan 31, 2017
Minemrys:

Lol....The DCEU as a project has made lots of money (over $1.7 billion in 2016 alone) and that is enough motivation to bankroll new movies. It's rather unfortunate that Ben Affleck stepped down as WB mounted lots of pressure on him. Also, Affleck's new movie, Live by night, bombed both critically and financially, costing WB almost $70 million dollar loss. Now, that's a huge financial loss great enough to keep Affleck under immense pressure not to direct "The Batman". Affleck needs to clear his head, he had a very busy 2016 with four movies as a director and actor and this resignation, I feel, is in order.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 9:46am On Jan 31, 2017
I think the inclusion of John Geoff may have worsened issues, just imagine how they booted out Rick Famuyiwa from the Flash. Geoff isn't a movie specialist, infact, he has almost no knowledge in blockbuster movie production.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 1:31pm On Jan 31, 2017
waywardpikin:

Why would you say that?
isn't it obvious? WB ordering for films we do n0t want like GCS, DEADSHOT, BLACK ADAM when they aren't through with their current line up. No news on a man of steel sequel, shazam, the flash that was supposedly going to be released next year. Every director bailing. It happened with SS. Tom hardy bailed and what? SS failed. Worst joker, bad plot. God. The signs are there mhen. Am sure w0nder w0man's going to fail. JL? Its just waiting for its time to fail.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by philfearon(m): 5:50pm On Jan 31, 2017
Minemrys:

isn't it obvious? WB ordering for films we do n0t want like GCS, DEADSHOT, BLACK ADAM when they aren't through with their current line up. No news on a man of steel sequel, shazam, the flash that was supposedly going to be released next year. Every director bailing. It happened with SS. Tom hardy bailed and what? SS failed. Worst joker, bad plot. God. The signs are there mhen. Am sure w0nder w0man's going to fail. JL? Its just waiting for its time to fail.
Fûck off and keep your fûcked up opinion to yourself!
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 7:36pm On Jan 31, 2017
philfearon:
Fûck off and keep your fûcked up opinion to yourself!
freedom of expression anyone?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
TonySpike:
Ben Affleck finally steps down as "The Batman" director but remains the producer. Could it be as a result of "Live by Night" bombing at the box office?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/389823-ben-affleck-will-no-longer-direct-the-batman#/slide/2

This is pretty harmless news. What's all the fuss about?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by dazzleINC(f): 8:20pm On Feb 01, 2017
Minemrys:

freedom of expression anyone?

I stand with the Dceu .... can't believe you've lost hope ....op seriously ....ww will be great and I loved ss its twisted and exciting forget the critics they are paid to hate... and a mos sequel is in development.... theres so much pressure on the studios now and fans like you ain't helping matters
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Minemrys: 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2017
dazzleINC:

I stand with the Dceu .... can't believe you've lost hope ....op seriously ....ww will be great and I loved ss its twisted and exciting forget the critics they are paid to hate... and a mos sequel is in development.... theres so much pressure on the studios now and fans like you ain't helping matters
the best is what i hope for with DC in general. But then WB is showing signs that they don't know the way forward. That things aren't planned and they only make things up as they go, which is bad. Why order new film line ups when the current one isn't done? Why negotiate c0ntracts with directors just to have them bail and set everything back to square 0? WB made a decision for a film universe, they should've thought about or drafted a shortlists of directors, writers and producers before hand. Thats how to plan. Seriously, WB have m0re interest in Harry potter than the DCEU. Evidence show they do. Every potter film is planned, no BTS drama or critical panning and its made by same studio. So what then is the problem?

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (1543) (Reply)

Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread / What Sites Can You Download Series For Free?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.