Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,992 members, 7,828,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship (1028 Views)

Five Abusive Words You Should Not Say To Her, No Matter What / How To Recognize And Attract “trustworthy” Women / 5 Signs You Are In An Abusive Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 8:45am On May 01, 2015
Happy Workers' Day smiley

The rate of abuse in relationships and marriages seems to be increasing on daily basis. The critical part is that many who are in such relationships seems not to even be aware of it. The Initial signs of abuse may not have anything to do with physical assault but in most cases leads to it.

Abuse can be verbal, emotional or psychological. These are forms of abuse where by the abusive partner uses verbal assault, fear, or humiliation to undermine the other person’s self-esteem and self-worth.

This often leads to physical abuse or assault which may lead to death in some cases.
Is it possible that you are in an abusive relationship without even knowing it?
Take time to read through the questions below and answer them. They will help you know if you are in an abusive relationship or not. Take note of the word “Often” and “Most” as used in some of the questions.

[b]
1. Do you always have to endure insults, name-calling, and verbal threats for every slight mistake you make?

2. Are you dealing with a relationship that drains your energy and enthusiasm?

3. Does it look like your partner always enjoy seeing you sad?

4. Do you always seek to give but getting nothing in return?

5. Are you often the one that takes the blame whenever something goes wrong and usually gets punished for it?

6. Do you become self-critical and timid whenever your partner is around?

7. Is your creativity blocked or is your clarity of mind hampered by the lingering discomfort of having to deal with your partner?

8. Do you often try to calm yourself after being with this person by eating more, biting your nails or engaging in some unhealthy habit?

9. Do you often have imaginary conversations or mental arguments in which you defend yourself or try to explain your side of a conflict?

10. Do you often feel resentful that this person seems to treat other people better than they treat you?

11. Do you wonder why this person often singles you out for criticism but rarely acknowledge what you do well.

12. Do you feel afraid of your partner most of the time?

13. Are you unable to raise certain topics most of the time because of fear of how he may react?

14. Do you have to often endure sarcasm and unpleasant jokes targeted to diminish your worth?

15. Is your partner jealous and possessive to the extent of forcefully limiting where you go, what you do, who you see or what phone call you answer?
If your answer to any of the questions above is yes, then obviously you are in an abusive relationship. [/b]

As a matter of fact don’t think that there’s going to be any improvement in such relationship (At least not soon). The truth is abusers don’t just change they need a whole lot of psychological reformation and rehabilitation before that can happen. And who knows when that will happen. The most rational option is quitting the relationship! Choosing to remain in such relationship could be quite disastrous in the long run.

Most people that experience abuse in relationships tends to undermine its reality by hoping that things will get better or believing that the abusive partner will change with time. Some will even start thinking may be it is their fault while some others think that abuse is normal in a relationship.

Relationship is not meant to be abusive no matter from what angle you look at it. We all deserve to be loved and respected.

I acknowledge that it may not be as easy as it seems to just quit. You need to begin by;

1. Making up Your Mind: We truly cannot change whatever can still accommodate or tolerate. Make up your mind about the relationship – to quit or to stay. But have it in your mind that no abusive relationship is worth it.

2. Confiding In Those Who Matters To You: Abusive relationship thrives in Isolation. You may have kept it away from people and that may have contributed to the abuse. It is time to open up and talk about it. You will easily get through it with the support of your loved ones.

3. Seeking Additional Help: You may need professional help. The abusive partner may become a t6hreat to your life if he senses you are about to leave the relationship. Locate the closest anti-abuse agency or organizations.

Move On

After leaving your partner, you may feel the need to get into another relationship or even consider going back to the abusive partner. The abusive partner may have even apologized asking for your forgiveness and a make-up.

My advice is, don’t take the bait yet, first do the following instead;
[b]
1. Get Back Your Self-Esteem:

People in an abusive relationship have their self-esteem battered. An abusive relationship diminishes your worth. It makes you feel less of yourself. As a matter of fact the aim of every abuser is to make you feel less of yourself. That makes them feel they are in control. Therefore the first thing you should do is to get your self-esteem back. You may equally need the help of a counselor in rebuilding your self-esteem.

2. Get a life:

Try to get something doing to earn an income and add value to yourself. Research has shown that a good number of those who endure or find themselves in an abusive relationship were those who were totally dependent economically on their partners.

3. Make Your Relationship Your Responsibility:

Don’t forget that who you choose to give access into your life is solely up to you. Like I mentioned earlier, you deserve to be love and respected. It is not anybody that deserves a space in your life. Your relationship is your responsibility. So decide who stays in your life [/b]

Courtesy: Success flames

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by vizkiz: 8:47am On May 01, 2015
gush! Everybody is now a relationship expert undecided
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by TRADELYN: 8:51am On May 01, 2015
If you ask me, the number one sign to watch out for is immaturity.

Quote me...
You will surely experience abuse in your relationship in one form or the other with an immature partner.

#WatchIt!
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 8:53am On May 01, 2015
Emotional abuse is worse than physical abuse,it kills u from within and leaves u questioning yourself worth.....
If you have to walk on egg shells around someone by all means avoid them energy vampires, always make you feel drained and make you question your self worth
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 9:00am On May 01, 2015
vizkiz:
gush! Everybody is now a relationship expert undecided

Ok
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Tomibyte(m): 9:05am On May 01, 2015
Its very easy, pack ur load n move to another town
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Slimzjoe(m): 9:10am On May 01, 2015
The day any girl will Mistakenly slap me ehn undecided

I'll quit the relationship!!

After I've had my revenge tho angry
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by danbrowndmf(m): 9:17am On May 01, 2015
Man Of List
Pinkycute come read oh...
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 9:18am On May 01, 2015
gdvj
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Mhizkel(f): 9:41am On May 01, 2015
Why stick to one fish when there are many fishes in the river?
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by DanceVille: 11:53am On May 01, 2015
It's very easy, just go to Exile
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by McEwen(m): 11:54am On May 01, 2015
please take me to FP.
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by McEwen(m): 11:54am On May 01, 2015
DanceVille:
It's very easy, just go to Exile
grin grin
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by DSuperWoman(f): 5:46pm On May 01, 2015
hi emu. hw u been? this is a lovely post hope u dont mind if i steal it
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by ivyy(f): 5:50pm On May 01, 2015
TRADELYN:

Quote me...
You will surely experience abuse in your relationship in one form or the other with an immature partner.

#WatchIt!

Very correct you are

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 01, 2015
DSuperWoman:
hi emu. hw u been? this is a lovely post hope u dont mind if i steal it

Hahaha... I don't mind, dearie smiley
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 01, 2015
TRADELYN:

Quote me...

#WatchIt!

Immaturity is an ambiguous word...
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by amokeme(f): 6:49pm On May 01, 2015
wish it was easy to just move on completely...
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 01, 2015
amokeme:
wish it was easy to just move on completely...

Hahahaha sad
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by tabletop(m): 9:04pm On May 01, 2015
This is exactly what i go through now, can't even think straight ɑ̤̈̊nd i have 3 lovely kids. God i need your direction. Happiness is far from me.
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 01, 2015
Ok
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by McEwen(m): 9:09pm On May 01, 2015
tabletop:
This is exactly what i go through now, can't even think straight ɑ̤̈̊nd i have 3 lovely kids. God i need your direction. Happiness is far from me.
the lord is your strength...

you will be fine in due time smiley
Re: How To Recognize And Get Over An Abusive Relationship by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 01, 2015
tabletop:

Hmm...sad

What could have gone wrong? cry

(1) (Reply)

Chat Between A Maga And Begger / The Day Kemisola Ogunniyi Slept With A Ghost(full) / How Do You Want Your Partner To Behave In Public?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.